It's Giants Season!!! (The Official SF Giants Thread)

Giants with a great comeback win! the Giants are ROLLING! 8 straight. Sweep the Dodgers. In 1st place I believe. :eek:

Why the hell wasn't this game on in the Sacramento area? It's GIANTS FRICKIN' DODGERS. No need to televise this game. :rolleyes:

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I think I called what this team would be like!

;)

At least before I backed off and said that our offense was to bad to ever be a good team.

Oh well. No reason to hang the head. If we continue to get opportunities like tonight we will be fine. I'll take my chances with Durham.

We need to bring up Frandsen. That way Durham can get some rest too. And Winn looks like he is hitting better than Omar right now. I'd say move Randy up until Vizquel is dialed.

I watched most of the game. I'm happy with the loss, in that we battled hard and just came up short. TEAM Effort. I love seeing it.

Wow. Just when I was about to hang myself over the continued sucking of Pedro Feliz, he breathes new life into me. Since the St. Louis series he is batting 10 of 31, with 4 homers and 7 rbi's. We are going to need key contributions from guys like Pedro throughout the year. It is a good sign to see him starting to pull things together. I hope he keeps it up.

Well, that just about sums up the Lincecum situation. I'll bet the organization lets Russell try to pitch one more. But at this point, what is the point? If we are trying to hold Ortiz together so we can trade him for a much needed power hitter, then we are just dreaming. We paid 300k to give him a shot, he looked OK for a little bit there, and dropped the ball, no biggie. We flat out don't need to waste the time on him.

Sorry Russ, I wish you could stay, but we have this guy named Tim, that deserves to be here. It has been fun reminiscing with you, if you want to try and be a long reliever then you might need to go to AAA.

Tim Lincecum's stats this year:

4-0(one N-D), .29 ERA, 31 IP, 12 H, 1 ER, 11 BB, 46 K

Wow. Could this guy be more dangerous than Matt Cain?

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Well Benitez was nowhere to be seen in a save situation...I think a trade is a-brewin!!!

1: Benitez to _________ for non-MLB ready pitching prospect/young reliever. I call Blue Jays with Ryan out for a while and their fill-in not doing good. Maybe we could get Brandon League back in exchange? OR Jeremy Accardo back?

2: Ortiz down to long relief or DFA'd...Depending on what we get for Mando.

3: Lincecum called up, takes Ortiz's roster spot.

4: Hennessy takes Mando's spot in the pen...Correia to set-up...Everyone moves up a peg in the bull-pen rotation.

Every Giants fan should then be thrilled!!!

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Scratch my theory.

Benitez just had a sore knee and wanted to be ready for the Philly series.

According to Bochy on KNBR.

Scratch my theory.

Benitez just had a sore knee and wanted to be ready for the Philly series.

According to Bochy on KNBR.
Yeah well, that doesn't quite settle my stomach. Any news of Mando and ill-health makes me feel sick.

Niekro and Linden are suck-tacular. Maybe we could con a GM into taking Ortiz and Niekro for a power hitter.

Ohboyohboyohboyohboy!

I would like to share some inside info that has been leaked:

Watch Sunday's game vs. Phillies on ESPN.

Ortiz is scheduled to start, but there is quite a bit of hype going on about Tim 'Franchise' being unveiled. I can't promise this will happen, obviously, but there was an inside source saying "I GUARANTEE" we will want to watch that game.

What a coincidence. Now I am reading that Ortiz was placed on the 15 day DL. Something about his elbow. Kevin Frandsen was recalled, but the Giants have not announced Ortiz's replacement. Hmm.......I wonder.....

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Matt Kinney!!!

;)

But my dad just called me, and said that Sabean was talking about Timmy pitching on Sunday!

WOOO!!!!

Wow...Tim the Enchanter deputs on national TV against the Phils' young stud Cole Hamels...this has got to be the most anticipated baseball game of the season so far.

Did ESPN not hit a jackpot, or what?

Well it's good he got the jitter start out of the way. I mean out of 100 pitches he only threw 12 curves and 2 changeups. That will change. And his fastball reached 98 in the first, but tailed off each inning. He will learn to start off around 92-94 and amp it up. I'm really excited to watch Timmy grow, but I think we will send him back down to AAA when Russ gets back. Hopefully we can pull off a sweet trade to bring back some power hitting and keep Tim up.

Great win tonight. Zito pitched great, he should've had 2 runs and 6 k's instead of 3 and 5. Can't be mad at Molina though, he had 2 homers in the same inning. What a badass Benjie has been.

Mariano Rivera just blew another save for NY last night, and despite the fact that they got Clemens, they still need some starting pitching. Does anyone buy a trade along these lines:...

Benitez and Ortiz to NY for one of their many clutch hitters? I can't think of who I would want but I know they are stacked, I'm sure we could find a bat we would want.

Timmah!

What a great first win for the kid. The only problem I forsee with Tim is the trouble his curveball is going to be for our catcher. In 2 games there have been 2 strikeouts missed because of 2 passed balls. I'm sure Benjie will make the adjustment but that curve is so nasty it is hard to catch, let alone hit.

I think the best move we can make is to DFA Chulk and move Ortiz to a long relief/spot starter role, until we can trade him for a hitter.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Nope...You keep Chulk and hope he can figure out how to pitch...Despite his numbers, he has pretty good stuff.

You send Jonathan Sanchez down, because he is just rotting in the pen right now...He has the stuff to be a really good starter, and I want to see him in our rotation the second Morris get sold high.

Freddie hitting for the cycle was as refreshing as seeing the "youth" that Sabean was talking about in the offseason. I think it is good to sit the old-baggers and let the youngin's out of the playpen every once in a while. It sure payed dividends today.

Way to go Fred!.....Turn into our very own Jose Reyes clone please.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Lincecum is going to be a super-stud! 7 innings, 2 hits, 10 K's!!!!

Wow, talk about dominating! And in his third ML start...Something tells me he isn't getting replaced by Russ anytime soon.

My plan actually has Russ going to long relief and sending Jon Sanchez down and regrooming him as a starter...He's just rotting in the pen now...I'd rather Ortiz rot down there than his gem of an arm.

Anyways, if we make the playoffs a Cain/Zito/Lincecum trio is going to be hard to beat...Pitching can carry you to a title, so you never know!

And Freddy Lewis is one of my favorite Giants already...I really like the kid.

Dude SLAB I'm with you on Freddie.

But more importantly, Cy Lincecum, AKA "Tha Franchise", is more electric than Cain. As if that was even possible. His hammer is just raunchy-nasty.

Something became aparant to me about this year. We aren't set up to win a championship now. I was leaning towards a pennant in '09, but the kids are trying to prove me wrong. We don't have the clutch hitting to get it done this year, which is why we need to just develop talent.

Check it out.

1. As aforementioned, we do not have clutch hitting. Our best bet to shore that up is to wait until the offseason when we have $35 mil. coming off the books. That can give us 2 clutch hitters @ $13 mil. each, and a closer for $9 mil. Making a trade and giving up good talent to make a weak run at the title this year would not be the best move IMO. We shouldn't give away any of our awesome pitching prospects, as we have been on the losing side of that equation too much in the past.

2. Develop the kids. Cain, Lowry, Lincecum, Lewis, Hennessey, Correia, Taschner all will be better after putting this year under their belt. One would think Morris would make good trade bait, but I think we could use his veteran presence for one more year. All those guys I mentioned do not have that much experience in their current role and can benefit from Morris's presence.

3. Dirty Sanchez should be sent down to become a starter again. We can bring him up next year when we trade Morris. Zito, Cain, Lowry, Lincecum, Sanchez in '08. 3 solid lefties embedded with 2 nasty righties? Oh boy.

4. Ortiz moves to the bullpen. If there is any trade I would accept this year it would involve both ---iz's. Feliz and Ortiz. Package 'em for...a closer?...a hitter?...a good hitting prospect? Any will suit me.

Great job by Lincecum, he's fun to watch, I was looking forward to today's game just to see him and freddie is fun to watch too...

just pisses me off when our pitchers pitch great games but our hitters don't give them any runs -_-

I was looking forward to tonights game but whaddaya know, it's not televised here in Sacramento. :confused:

Listened to it on the radio for the most part though. Lovin' Lincecum. Lovin' all our young pitching talent.

Lovin' Fred Lewis.

We have something to look forward to with these kids and it's starting to feel good again.

Matt Morris has been our stopper all year and I'm glad to see it stay that way. A complete game with 9 strikeouts was even more than I expected.

Great Job Matty Mo.

And on a side note, Dan Ortmeier can play...and he wants to stay. He's making it a much harder choice for when Roberts comes back.

Trade Randy Winn, Russ Ortiz, and one of our 1st basemen for a power hitting corner infielder?

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Im an 100% on the trade Matt Morris to any team that needs a stopgap at the pitching position.

I love the way the guy has been pitching, and I really respect him, but his value is never EVER going to be higher than it is now.

Just make Ortiz the stop-gap until Sanchez is ready to jump back to the bogs as a starter.

Maybe Morris, Winn and a prospect for someone like Troy Glaus? Richie Sexson? Adam Dunn? Wily Mo Pena?

It kills 3 birds with one stone, opening the spot for the electric yet untapped Sanchez, opens a platoon OF for Lewis and Ortmier, and lastly gives us someone to replace Feliz/Klesko/Aurilia as a permanent 1B/3B.