Is it time to move the photographers?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
And once again tonight, as so many times before, a player stumbles over one of the photographers sitting along the baseline under the basket and could have been seriously hurt.

So, at what point do they finally just move the stupid photographers back and quit providing an accident waiting for a time to happen?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Insomniacal Fan said:
Oh but I like the pictures soooo much...
You could get the exact same pictures from further back. Considering about 90% of the time they're not taking pictures anyway, I just don't understand why they're there.

They should have been moved after Rodman kicked one of em in the groin. I mean if the mentally secure and sound Rodman can crack in a situation like that, how long until someone less mentally sound does it?

;)

VF21 said:
So, at what point do they finally just move the stupid photographers back and quit providing an accident waiting for a time to happen?
Stupid photographers? Hey, they a job to do. It's not like they get to the arena and say "I'm sitting right here the whole game, and no one has any say about it!!!!"

It's not the fault of the photographers with the placement they get, it's actually the NBA front office and the arena managers. I bet 99% of the photographers would prefer a better placement than the one they actually get.

They're sitting down in an awkward spot all game long and just waiting for a guy like Shaq to fall on them. NBA players are huge, and I imagine having one fall on you doesn't feel too good.

Anyway, your complaint is valid, just make sure you're pointing the finger at the right people.

Let's see....million dollar athletes whose short and long term health is being placed at risk by not one or two but as many as 30 people on each end of the court who's pictures may warrant one or two stills (none of which ever show anything game-turning) in the print press...it's a no brainer for me, move them back! At ARCO there are seats that would have to have the first couple of rows removed to do so and, I know, they are high priced tickets but why invest in high priced talent and then put them and your season's fortunes at risk?

If only there photographers had some way to...I don't know...ZOOM then I could see your point. But until they're able to do that, it's going to be sidelines for them.

;)

They have no business sitting in an area where they are likely to hurt multi-million-dollar professional athletes. This is a disadvantage for the Kings because our guys play more games at ARCO than any other team.

Get rid of the photographers and hangeroners.

where would they go?

how would they do that?

i don't think it'll happen....i mean its been like that for so long...i mean if someone got a season ending injury fallin on the camera guys and accidently kicking their cameras id think they would definetly do something about it...but until then...

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Where would they go? Further back or upstairs. I don't care. With the technology available, they don't have to sit right on the edge of the court to get a close-up shot.

The point is that we could very well have lost Cuttino Mobley last night because of the photographers crowded so deep right at the baseline they can't possibly move out of the way of players. There have been numerous encounters in other arenas, too. It's simply dumb, IMHO, to risk a million $$$ athlete over something like this. Waiting until someone actually gets a season-ending injury is waiting a little too long. Watch a couple of games and see how often players go off the court and into the huddled masses of photographers. It happens a lot and injuries (albeit mostly minor and of a short-term nature) aren't that uncommon. The sad thing, again IMHO, is that THOSE injuries are totally preventable.

i agree they are preventable injuries...i just don't think they'll end up moving the guys

waiting for a season ending injury is too long to wait...but i think thats when they'll give it some SERIOUS thought

i agree though they should be moved...

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
kgrichwine said:
Hazard of the trade.
From whose viewpoint? I regret to be callous, but I'm not worried about the photographers. Granted, it's a hazard of their trade...

It is an unnecessary "hazard" as far as the athletes are concerned, however.

Yeah but!

I think the photographers may have a different opinion. ARCO has virtually no space between the baskets and the seats, so it is worse than most other arenas.:eek:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Of course the photographers might have a different opinion. that isn't the point. Photographers would also like to stand in the middle of the track for the Indy 500 to get that perfect shot of the cars as they go by. Good photographers want to get the best possible shot and I don't fault them for that in any way.

It isn't about the photographers. It's about the Mobleys and the Jacksons and the other high-flying players who have collided more than once with the photographers and their equipment. A $5,000 camera can be replaced. It's a little more difficult to accept the loss, even temporarily, of a $60 million player.

legitimate threat

I was watching ther Kings-Nets game the other day and Ian Eagle ( the local NJ network announcer) said that there were more photographers at the baselines of Arco Arena than at many of the other arenas combined.

It def. is a threat and the Kings front office should take care of it.

Couple of questions, how many years have the photographers been placed there,and how many players have actuaully been hurt?Where do you think they could be placed and get the same quality of photos?Your not going to get the same poster dunks if they arent where they are.Lets not forget not everyone is fortunate enough to watch the game on tv,let alone go to the game.The same fans that want those pictures are the same fans that help keep the NBA going, especially the fans in places where no teams are located.A great deal of money the NBA gets are from long distance fans.If you make BSPN the only outlet for a fan to see thier favorite team play you risk losing long distance fans and their revenue.I think this is much ado about nothing.I did a google search and couldnt find a scrub, let alone a superstar getting an injury because of photographers.