• C

• D

• F

• Not sure

Results are only viewable after voting.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Your "who would come here?" point is well taken but, if accepted as written, you seem to be suggesting that Joerger is a second tier coach who had no other options.
I would say he is a still relatively young coach with a lot to prove. He is not a guy who an elite ready to contend team would hire and he is not a guy that sells tickets on name alone. And he's not Phil Jackson or Greg Popovich.

I disagree with giving anyone minutes just because it's their hometown. Especially a first year player early in the season. To me that just shows you're not taking every game seriously and running a glorified scrimmage. He'll play in Washington next year I'm sure. Not because it's a favor, but because he's earned it.

I knew Steve Kerr was destined for success as a head coach LLLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG before he even became a head coach. He was one of the most knowledgeable broadcasters I've ever heard, in any sport. I even texted some of my Warrior friends the day they hired him as head coach, telling them that HE will be the guy to lead them to a championship (Or 2. Or 3. Or more....). Although it's with the Warriors, I am super stoked that Steve has found success as an NBA head coach. He totally deserved it the day he got hired.

This is an interesting point which made me wonder, "When Joerger got the hire, were there people who sawid, Great Hire", people who knew him, like, say, Tony Allen? Rudy Gay said quite a lot by both his silence and his willingness to take less money to play elsewhere (THAT shocked me). But did someone like Jerry West say, "Good hire". I get that Zach and Vince said so after he gave them extra paydays, but were nthey quoted in 2016? What about other coaches or GM's, announcers or guys who had played for him and weren't being signed by him to play in Sac.

I remember thinking at the time that once Demarcus was traded, wouldn't Rudy WANT to opt in and play for a coach he knew quite well in a situation where he now had the chance to be the big dog and mentor the puppies. But he took LESS money in SA.

I disagree with giving anyone minutes just because it's their hometown. Especially a first year player early in the season. To me that just shows you're not taking every game seriously and running a glorified scrimmage. He'll play in Washington next year I'm sure. Not because it's a favor, but because he's earned it.

By the last two minutes of a blowout, it WAS a glorified scrimmage.

You may have your own opinions (everyone does), but talk in terms of risk/reward, rather than "I disagree..." or "To me..."".

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
The risk of showing that you'll cater to a low ranking player's hometown fans rather than the reward of saying you'll get yours when you prove your worth is not worth it (to me).

Sorry, challenge failed. I tried.

I don't doubt it, but it's a scary proposition giving someone the keys to the kingdom if his preferred style of play likely means such a massive shift in personnel in order for it to work. I think it's more plausible for him to adapt a play style to the players he has, or for the team to find the right coach. In the end those are the only logical options. We still don't have a real grasp on what the long term plans are and I think that next year might be graded a bit different than this year.
While I think Joerger's a very good coach, he does have some problems, and even a change in personnel is not going to make him a great coach. He's going to have to adjust. He's going to have to learn to let the 3's fly instead of pounding it inside. 3's at 40% have become more valuable than mid-range 2's at 45%. I hope Temple remains with the team, but he's not a consistent enough shooter to rely on him for offense. Joerger is already very good, but I think (or hope) he will improve.

This is an interesting point which made me wonder, "When Joerger got the hire, were there people who sawid, Great Hire", people who knew him, like, say, Tony Allen? Rudy Gay said quite a lot by both his silence and his willingness to take less money to play elsewhere (THAT shocked me). But did someone like Jerry West say, "Good hire". I get that Zach and Vince said so after he gave them extra paydays, but were nthey quoted in 2016? What about other coaches or GM's, announcers or guys who had played for him and weren't being signed by him to play in Sac.

I remember thinking at the time that once Demarcus was traded, wouldn't Rudy WANT to opt in and play for a coach he knew quite well in a situation where he now had the chance to be the big dog and mentor the puppies. But he took LESS money in SA.
I get that you're new here, but I find your arguments to be about old stuff that has been discussed here ad nauseam. You're certainly within your rights to talk about whatever you want to talk about (given the rules of the forum). But if you're wondering why some people aren't engaging with you, it's because we've been there, done that. Or maybe because some of your posts are so lengthy that they force our computers into battery-saving mode.

When Mike Malone got fired, Rudy Gay looked destroyed. He took a risk on signing a long term contract with us, something not many all star level players do, and the Kings just up and ended everything that they sold Rudy on.

It was no surprise whatsoever that Rudy didn't want to stay here. I'm sure it had either nothing or very little to do with Joerger and nearly everything to do with the front office.

While I think Joerger's a very good coach, he does have some problems, and even a change in personnel is not going to make him a great coach. He's going to have to adjust. He's going to have to learn to let the 3's fly instead of pounding it inside. 3's at 40% have become more valuable than mid-range 2's at 45%. I hope Temple remains with the team, but he's not a consistent enough shooter to rely on him for offense. Joerger is already very good, but I think (or hope) he will improve.

I like Temple but the most major of knocks on Joerger coming in was him finding a way to overuse and over amplify the use of role players. Matt Barnes, Garrett Temple, it's almost like it's better just to not have them at all if you are going to put them in that position.

He coaches one of the worst teams in the league its as simple as that.

He has put structure around our kids and they seem to be trending in the right direction. The real value and measure will be seen in a few seasons from now if they continue to develop and remain part of a high performing roster.

Could end up like Scott Brooks in OKC or could be here until the end of the next kings dynasty like Rick.

I think he's doing a good solid job thus far. Keeping Malone (and Cousins) would have been preferable.
I think dynasty might be a little strong

I'm sorry, did you just tell another poster they were required to talk in terms of risk/reward rather than just express an opinion? Did I really just see you do that?

I did not say "required" - but the other poster did decide to put it in "risk/reward" terms.

I disagree with his conclusion but I thank him for phrasing it that way.

I get that you're new here, but I find your arguments to be about old stuff that has been discussed here ad nauseam. You're certainly within your rights to talk about whatever you want to talk about (given the rules of the forum). But if you're wondering why some people aren't engaging with you, it's because we've been there, done that. Or maybe because some of your posts are so lengthy that they force our computers into battery-saving mode.
Finally - my first "your posts are too long" retort.

I call it "being thorough", but I understand if short attention spans go elsewhere.

Guess I shouldn't go into the part about "I haven't seen Joerger learn from his mistakes - everyone makes them (and that can't be helped) but not everyone learns from them".

Don't ask me to give examples though - or my post will be "too lengthy".

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
One reason I like to put "I see/feel" or "In my opinion" or some similar disclaimer is because I am a bit of an abrasive personality at times and I have found by acknowledging that I'm just a guy and I see it one way doesn't mean everyone else has to agree. It's a nice way to encourage dialogue and everybody can be friendly. I'm happy to entertain folks in their preferred discourse but I find getting hung up on semantics to be something of a fool's game.

Anywho, I think I've said what I need to say about Dave. I like him and don't see a lot of better options floating around for us right now unless we want to go high risk. Given we've got a ton invested into young talent, I think a system guy who so far seems to be getting marginally better than projected results with our nucleus works for me.

I think that's my piece for this conversation :)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Come to think of it I didn't like Joerger's tie the other night, how do I change to a D?

jfc
Thank you for pointing out just how ridiculous some of this has gotten. I can't complain too much, however, since I overly fixate for no good reason about some of the hairstyles although I do think if your hair is obviously impeding your view of the court and your fellow players, it's a valid comment to make.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Finally - my first "your posts are too long" retort.

I call it "being thorough", but I understand if short attention spans go elsewhere.

Guess I shouldn't go into the part about "I haven't seen Joerger learn from his mistakes - everyone makes them (and that can't be helped) but not everyone learns from them".

Don't ask me to give examples though - or my post will be "too lengthy".
You're new here. If someone makes an honest comment (a lot of your posts ARE quite long) then it's because they're interested enough to want to keep reading. No need to put a chip on your shoulder and no need for the caustic "short attention span" comment.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Thank you for pointing out just how ridiculous some of this has gotten. I can't complain too much, however, since I overly fixate for no good reason about some of the hairstyles although I do think if your hair is obviously impeding your view of the court and your fellow players, it's a valid comment to make.
As a 40-something male blessed with most of his hair I am certainly not above crapping on other people's hairstyles. Not when they're on my team tho.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
leave Elfrid alone :p

I think he's a REALLY good young coach and we are lucky to have him. I don't care if you had Pop coaching this group -- you aren't going to win a lot of games right now. But, he's developing the talent nicely and the group has great chemistry. Coach understands what the organization is trying to do and I'm excited he's going to be a part of it when we get good again.

Part of turning this thing around is stability. We've gone through like 10 coaches in the past 10 years, its seems. Not a viable strategy!

Last edited:
Just saw a tweet with data showing the Kings have played 1-2 year players for 51% of the minutes... the MOST in the NBA.

Joerger is a punching bag for some on this forum but I don't know why. I'm very glad to have him running this show.
Probably because the Kings have the most 1-2 year players in the NBA.

Just saw a tweet with data showing the Kings have played 1-2 year players for 51% of the minutes... the MOST in the NBA.

Joerger is a punching bag for some on this forum but I don't know why. I'm very glad to have him running this show.
But don’t the Kings have more 1-2 year players on their roster than most if not every other team? It’s should stand to reason that they’d be at the top, no?