IF......IF Joerger is told he will not be re-signed.........

Does the kings job become the most attractive coaching job available? Personally, I think the kings would have their pick of a top flight coach, something that would have been unthinkable when they hired joerger. What coach out there would kings fans here trust could take this team all the way? This is not meant as a "fire Dave Joerger" thread. However, considering the FO drama that may or may not have been dealt with and the opening that might be coming up in Daves home state of MN, its not out of the realm of possibility that he could walk or ask to be let out of his contract to coach at home.

This is all meant to just ponder what could be with this young super team.

I was gonna say the Lakers job would be most attractive but then realized LeBron is the coach so it's actually not attractive at all since you don't actually get to coach, but simultaneously get blamed if you suck.

As for the Kings, IF Joerger was gone, my first candidate would be Erik Spoelstra. He'll never be available though.

pdxKingsFan

Hall of Famer
Wouldn't dumping the guy who got you here be a black mark in a coaching search?

Ugggh. I just can't. Who's the shiny new toy we'd pick up anyways? There really isn't one. I'm having bad Musselman flashbacks now (and I actually liked him, we certainly answered the question "what could be worse" a half dozen times after). Why??????

Lol yea I mean I don't have any thoughts whatsoever of getting rid of Jeorger. I'm enjoying his tenure as coach. But I do like having new things to talk about around here even if it's outlandish.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
if scenarios are for the off season.....and one of this magnitude just doesn't compute or register. Is it because his ties to Minnesota? I see Minnesota retaining Saunders honestly. Joerger will hopefully be with the Kings long term and build something valuable here. He said it himself, it's a multi-year journey to get to where they want to get to.

I think there is a simple, albeit unlikely path, to a mutual parting. Joerger is clearly going to predicate his extension on Williams leaving. Williams made a big mistake with the leak, but he seems to be really good at his job. I also think Joerger and staff have been pretty petty since. The staff being vocally upset that Williams handled their extensions is bush league. Vlade dislikes power grabs, and is a much, MUCH better political operator than people give him credit for. If Vlade allows Dave to dictate who is on Vlade’s staff, then Dave is now running things. That’s not going to happen.

The Minnesota job is open and Joerger will use it as leverage. It’s not crazy to imagine he overplays his hand—that is exactly what happened when he left Memphis.

Williams will probably move on either way, but it will need to be on Vlade’s timeline, bot Dave’s. Also, Luke Walton will be available and this roster is perfect for him. Anyone care to guess who was teammates with Vlade during his second tour in LA?

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
With where the Kings are at the next step is the same step the Warriors took with Kerr and many teams have taken in the past. What you do is find the right SYSTEM coach if you are looking to make a change. Name value, record, whatever be darned. If Vlade feels this is the combination he's been trying to put together then it's all who can make the most out of them as a unit on the floor. Rah rah coaches can only take you so far so even that falls way down the list.

My take is that coach would best be someone that looks to shorten that shot clock as much as possible, run pick and roll down the other teams throat, and spread the floor like crazy. Probably the best candidate out there with a track record is Mike D'Antoni but Houston corrected it's own course before that even became a dream scenario possibility.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Does the kings job become the most attractive coaching job available? Personally, I think the kings would have their pick of a top flight coach, something that would have been unthinkable when they hired joerger. What coach out there would kings fans here trust could take this team all the way? This is not meant as a "fire Dave Joerger" thread. However, considering the FO drama that may or may not have been dealt with and the opening that might be coming up in Daves home state of MN, its not out of the realm of possibility that he could walk or ask to be let out of his contract to coach at home.

This is all meant to just ponder what could be with this young super team.
...sigh...

"Hey, there's not enough angst with Kings fans. Let's think up another dramatic scenario to drive them crazy."

Come on, dude.

I’ll play along. Assuming the situation plays out as outlined, instead of looking outside the program for a new HC — could the KINGS promote within? I’m thinking of Elston Turner when I say that.

ET was with the KINGS during their glory years (2000-2006) and seemingly has a great relationship with Vlade and Peja. He’s widely been known as a defensive minded coach and has been long overdue for a shot at a HC position.

Perhaps I’m wrong, but I could see Vlade going in that direction. It would also be a way to not completely break up the staff entirely. I’m sure some current staff members would like to stay with ET and he’d like them to stay. And of course the players are already quite familiar with all of them.

Entity

Hall of Famer
With where the Kings are at the next step is the same step the Warriors took with Kerr and many teams have taken in the past. What you do is find the right SYSTEM coach if you are looking to make a change. Name value, record, whatever be darned. If Vlade feels this is the combination he's been trying to put together then it's all who can make the most out of them as a unit on the floor. Rah rah coaches can only take you so far so even that falls way down the list.

My take is that coach would best be someone that looks to shorten that shot clock as much as possible, run pick and roll down the other teams throat, and spread the floor like crazy. Probably the best candidate out there with a track record is Mike D'Antoni but Houston corrected it's own course before that even became a dream scenario possibility.
you aren't seriously giving Kerr credit for that are you?

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
you aren't seriously giving Kerr credit for that are you?

Not all the credit but absolutely as much credit as a coach can get for using his team as best as it can be used. We all know championships are won in the front office and lost on the sidelines. No coach is going to take a team up well beyond where they are from a talent level to begin with. Well, very few anyway. That takes a rare type and the only ones I've seen master that in this era are probably Don Nelson and Larry Brown with a slight nod to George Karl but even they wear out their welcome eventually as we well know. Kerr came in after the same types of questions about firing Jackson but Jackson was getting knocked for a lot of system things. rotation decisions, along supposed issues with the FO. Sound familiar? Kerr came in and really refined a lot of what they were doing. Their offense became way tighter and their defense went up a notch. It sounds like he might be starting out on the path of wearing out his own welcome but it's going to happen eventually no matter what anyway.