i know its only a pre-season game but im starting to get worried...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/recap?gid=2004102806

Dallas 112, Sacramento 93 October 28, 2004

DALLAS (AP) -- Dirk Nowitzki went 11-for-16 from the field and scored 30 points as the Dallas Mavericks wrapped up their preseason schedule with a 112-93 victory over the Sacramento Kings on Thursday night.

Rookie Devin Harris had 24 points, and Josh Howard scored 21 for Dallas (3-5).

Erick Dampier scored 15 points and grabbed 15 rebounds for the Mavericks, who held a 42-28 rebounding edge.

Bobby Jackson's 15 points paced the Kings (2-5), who complete their exhibition schedule Friday night at home against Phoenix.

The Mavericks and Kings open the regular season in Dallas on Nov. 2. Howard scored 14 points to lead Dallas' 31-22 third-quarter spurt that helped the Mavericks expand a two-point halftime advantage to 87-76 entering the final quarter.

Sacramento never got closer than eight points in the fourth.

The Mavericks led by as many 16 in the first quarter, but the Kings reduced the halftime deficit to 56-54.

Dallas was without Michael Finley (sore hamstring), Jason Terry (wisdom teeth), Marquis Daniels (sprained ankle) and Jerry Stackhouse (bruised right thigh). Stackhouse is expected to open the season on the injured list. Missing for the Kings were Doug Christie (foot) and Greg Ostertag (fractured right hand).

with the loss tonight in dallas.... and with our starters all there... besides dc... and ostertag and alexander only guys not playing, we got outplayed in all aspects of that game... i hope we can pull through during the season...

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Line from the film Chinatown... essentialy saying that crazy things happen in crazy palces, don't worry about it. Essentaly it's preseason... nothing to worry about yet.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Was a pretty damn crappy performance, and of a little more concern than the rest of the preseason because we were trying to play a semi-normal rotation, and because it was the main guys who just sucked. But it is still preseason, and I really haven't seen anything to indicate our guys are exactly desperate to win these things. Just zippo intensity. If it carries over to the beginning of the regular season then it will be time to talk. We might lose those first three games because we're short handed and its a brutal trip. But one would hope the effort would at least be there.

HndsmCelt said:
Line from the film Chinatown... essentialy saying that crazy things happen in crazy palces, don't worry about it. Essentaly it's preseason... nothing to worry about yet.
i didn't get to watch the game.....can't say i am free from being worried......
is this whole "preseason" deal pretty much the same with all the teams?

Bricklayer

fakie said:
i didn't get to watch the game.....can't say i am free from being worried......
is this whole "preseason" deal pretty much the same with all the teams?
Depends. Isn't much correlation between preseason/regular season performance. Especially when its mostly been about auditioning a bunch of marginal FAs and rookies.

But tonight was a stinker of an effort no matter what time of year it was. just impossible to tell whether it means anything though, because it IS preseason and we might just not care. Or we might just have had one of those ocassional flameout games. Or...

They open the season against these guys. What's the motivation for them to go all out? These guys are all bored to tears with the preseason, it happens every year, especially to teams like the Kings who've been together for a while. I can't think of one reason why they should show their "real stuff" on a night like this.

I didn't see the game but looking at the boxscore, the Mavs starting 5 put up 55 shots and the Kings starters just 32. That doesn't sound like a game that we tried to win.

Kings starters averaged 25 minutes, Mavs starters averaged 36 minutes. You honestly think we really cared about the outcome of the game? Mavericks played their main guys many more minutes than we did. We kept it close going into the half and then that was it. Nothing to be worried about. Our starters will average more in the 38 minute range come next Tuesday, and we won't be blown out by 20.

I'm sure the Kings didn't care about winning the game. I guess they didn't care about tuning up for the regular season, shaking the rust, and gaining a some momentum either. It's a long season, and as Brick, said, he's prepared to go 0-3. No biggie, IMO.

Bricklayer

C Diddy said:
Kings starters averaged 25 minutes, Mavs starters averaged 36 minutes. You honestly think we really cared about the outcome of the game? Mavericks played their main guys many more minutes than we did. We kept it close going into the half and then that was it. Nothing to be worried about. Our starters will average more in the 38 minute range come next Tuesday, and we won't be blown out by 20.
That's true Diddy, but normally when that's the case the team playing their top dogs longer just takes advantage of the camp scrubs of the other team to get a cheap victory. But the concern tonight would be that it wasn;t our scrubs who sucked -- indeed they held their own. But the 25min that our starters WERE out there, they got spanked.

In any case, it seemed clear to me they just didn't give a damn. The only thing to be resolved in why. I strongly SUSPECT its because its just preseason. Hence no worries. But I can't be 100% sure of that and it would be nice to see us crank it up tommorow in preparation for the regular season.

The other thing is that the Mavs were missing three of their projected starters for various reasons, so we didn't even see the Mavs A team in this instance, and still got worked over.

Aside form the mins , the Mavs didn't have Terry, Finely, Marquis Daniels or Stackhouse. The boxscore indicates that the Starters simply didn't care about this game. I'm not worried, but just a little concerned about gaining some momentum entering the season against the triangle teams.

well, if you look at the numbers from this preseason affair, it will show that the only real contributors were from Bobby and the bench, which played pretty well all said and done...and notice that all of the starters, with the exception of Martin, only took 7 shots, I still kind of get the feeling that it was a 'going through the motions, dont get hurt before the season starts' type of game. Webber, even when he's cold as hell, in a normal game will take 12-15 shots, Bibby and Peja around 15 themselves, so you kind of have to take all that into prospective and look at it for what it still is after the fact: preseason. Still working the kinks out, and staying healthy.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
On the good side of the bad coin that was tonights game was the play of Evans and Barnes. Looks like they are playing themselves onto the roster. They ran the court well, each scored 13, rebounded well and in general did OK. Ford again showed nothing. If Alexanders ankle is better Friday we should see some time from him. And if I had to guess Minard and Blu are not going to make it.

I will follow the ones who do not worry about a preseason loss.
Well, I remember a few years back the Kings were blown out by the Sonics in their last preseason game and then the following game they beat the same Sonics team in the season opener, pretty much having control of the game. I'm sure the coaching staff and the players are saving it for the season, when W/L matters.

I was so worried about last nights game that I didn't even watch it or listen to it. Both Dallas and Sac have struggled in the pre-season. One thing you need to realize is that teams play games differently at home in the pre-season and generally "try" to win games alot more than when they are on the road. Nowitzki, Howard, etc... played alot of minutes last night in order to seal the victory. Get through tonight injury free and strap it up on Tuesday and beat the crap out of allas.