I drove by the railyards today....

on my way to a 99 cents store to pick up some soda for our store, and the first thought that came to mind was how that would have been an ideal location for a new arena....

Hmm...so how does that work with sales tax? Do you buy from the 99 cent store wholesale (tax-exempt) or do you not collect sales tax or is sales tax being charged and collected twice?

Depends on the deal...but usually its whatever the base price is plus the tax and, in some cases, CRV...
And it usually works both ways...

This dormant thread starts out... "I drove by the railyards today."

Well, not much has changed since, except city just paid $20K for team of national land use experts to see what can be done to ultimately (if ever) develop 240 acres of eye-sore wasted opportunity. Their stunningly revealing answer (sarcasm): It might a decade, or a few decades, but start with: Putting in pedestrian friendly sidewalks, etc. Eliminate I Street off-ramp access to I-5. Develop waterfront - you know, like has been planned by worthless Sac City Hall since 1980s but successfully completed already on West Sac (Yolo County) side of river. Damn depressing to read and watch this short clip.

http://www.kcra.com/news/local-news...eps/-/12969376/16969914/-/qvtr83/-/index.html

That was the Urban Land Institute who just visited. They have been here a few times before. I spoke with one of them back when the arena planning was being funded. He was very optimistic about all the opportunities and businesses interested in the railyards around the arena site. The Maloofs pulled the plug on that. Now it's just shrugging shoulders and blaming the economy. That's why it was important to seize this opportunity.

So as has been said many times, the Maloofs jacking this city around has been much more than just basketball.