I don't know if it's new.......

I don't know if it's new but we are following Ryan Bowen .....

Article Published: Friday, September 24, 2004

Decision by Bowen on horizon

By Marc J. Spears
Denver Post Staff Writer

Whether free agent Ryan Bowen returns to the Nuggets, goes to another NBA team or plays overseas should be known by Saturday, according to the veteran forward's agent, Guy Zucker. Zucker said Thursday that Bowen has received two offers from NBA teams and an offer from a team overseas, but declined to reveal the teams.

The Nuggets have not made Bowen an offer.

Zucker said he talked to general manager Kiki Vandeweghe on Thursday and plans to talk to him again today. Bowen visited the Houston Rockets on Wednesday, visited and worked out with the Miami Heat on Thursday and is expected to participate in scrimmages today with the Heat.

Minnesota and Sacramento also have interest in the five- year reserve for the Nuggets.

Ryan is going to make his decision (soon)," Zucker said. "We're not going to wait. He is going to look at the best offer on the table."

Return of Rodman

Darren Prince, the agent for former NBA rebounding champ Dennis Rodman, said Rodman is expected to work out with the Nuggets again next week.

Marc J. Spears can be reached at 303-820-5449 or mspears@denverpost.com.

piksi

Hall of Famer
Double-K said:
Well, we are in need of a back up forward for Peja, aren't we?

we don't have much choice considering our tight budget......
Didn't we sign Bluhmental or somethnig like that to be a back up for Peja ?

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Oh boy oh boy! Ryan Bowen! Cool...now if we can just go dig up Mark Alarie, Randy Allen and Marty Conlon as well, we'll be unbeatable! :rolleyes:

piksi

Hall of Famer
Bricklayer said:
Oh boy oh boy! Ryan Bowen! Cool...now if we can just go dig up Mark Alarie, Randy Allen and Marty Conlon as well, we'll be unbeatable! :rolleyes:
I have never heard about any of these 3. Care to elaborate ?

Ryan Bowen
Position: F
Born: 11/20/75
Height: 6-9 / 2,06
Weight: 220 lbs. / 99,8 kg.
College: Iowa '98

Before I went to do some research on Ryan Bowen.....I was hoping he was related to the "DEFENSIVE STOPPER" Bruce Bowen of the San. Spurs and had the same attributes as him...........but.....I was dreamin...."awww...shucks"

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
So, this 5th-year reserve player's agent says the Kings are interested?

Yeah... don't they all.

Bricklayer

Bricklayer said:
Ex-Kings "All-Stars" from the bad ole days. Bowen wouold fit right in.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
Actually Marty Conlon was a cult hero as a backup 4 with his weird free throwing and his fan club high up in the rafters of Arco.

Bricklayer said:
Ex-Kings "All-Stars" from the bad ole days. Bowen wouold fit right in.
I was in vacation in Hawaii one year when the Kings played the Lakers in the preseason. Those were the Ralph Sampson days, and he was -- of course -- hurt. The Kings were so short-handed that then-coach Jerry Reynolds started Allen at center against Kareem. Conlon wasn't terrible; a chunk left-hander with a Jerry Lucas-like release on his jumper, he'd actually be solid 9th-10th guy on the current team, capable of playing a little PF and C. I don't remember Mark Alarie ever playing on the Kings; if he did, it must have been just a cup of coffee.

Kev.in said:
Matt Barnes is better than this guy.
The question I've been asking myself the last few week is this: Why did the Kings commit a roster spot to David Bluthenthal? Yes, there's a possibility that he's much better than any of us know. But if that's the case, why did 29 other NBA teams miss out on him? Was someone aside from Maccabi Tel Aviv bidding against the Kings for Bluthenthal's services? Couldn't the Kings have held the spot open and found out in training camp whether a Barnes or Bowen or whomever was adequate to back up Peja and then found another 4-5 type guy? It's a small thing in the big picture, I know, but still ...

They didn't actually commit a roster spot to him yet. It's a make-good deal; he has to still be on the roster in mid-December for it to be guaranteed for the year.

NME said:
They didn't actually commit a roster spot to him yet. It's a make-good deal; he has to still be on the roster in mid-December for it to be guaranteed for the year.
They invite 19 to camp and 12 make the active roster and up to 3 more can be put on the injured list. My guess is that both Bluthenthal and Barnes will not be on the roster on opening night and whichever one plays better will win out. They may both be cut however depending on who else comes in and who plays the best in camp.

NME said:
I wasn't aware that was the case. Thanks. That makes more sense.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
In the summer league there were several teams after Blumenthal one of which was the Spurs. I saw several front office types from other teams plus one guy I think from Miami. Actually there was an Israeli/Maccabe group of 4-5 guys (who always spoke Israeli when in the Pyramid where the summer league teams played) who shadowed Blumenthal for the better part of a week trying to get him to play there again. Supposedly they offered hiim close to $2M but I personally heard him say that no he was not going to play in Israel this year.

When the Kings signed him to a contract the article did not clarify but I suspect it was a non-guaranteed contract. Minard and Martin have guaranteed contracts.

Bricklayer

thedofd said:
Conlon wasn't terrible; a chunk left-hander with a Jerry Lucas-like release on his jumper, he'd actually be solid 9th-10th guy on the current team, capable of playing a little PF and C.
I actually liked Marty too. He was quite possibly the worst athlete in the history of professional sports and ugly as sin, but he had a little bit of a knack for scoring and would at least hustle around out there. Of course the not-so-super-secret was that he was also too slow to defend anyone in the league more spry than Mark Eaton, so he was a double-edged sword.

In any case, a player that you only find on a bad team's roster. Good numbers, bad team sort of guy.

P.S. Now that you mention it about Alarie...not sure. Might be getting senile. So how about we sub in Joe Arlaukas and call it even. ;)

Last edited: