Huerter and Monk

Which ends up being the better acquisition?

• Signing Monk to a two year MLE deal with Bird Rights.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I'd give the edge to Huerter but we got Monk on a free so it's hard to say that pick won't turn out to be a nice complimentary piece if we are a mid-tier playoff team next year.

But I really don't think we'd be close to where we're at without having both. Huerter didn't really come alive until the 4th last night but Monk was great all game. Plus him and Fox are fueling each other, and I think their friendship along with Fox's budding friendship with Sabonis is really part of what is shaping the club's personality. Huerter really is rad though. Funny guy. If he was riding pine I think I'd still like him.

Huerter has been pretty darn good for us and has seemed to mesh with what our coach wants. Monk has really started to show us what he is capable of as a two guard.

The spacing has really picked up compared with the stagnant movement for much of first couple of games.

I like the way Malone has started to change little things to improve the offense and keep it going. I saw more movement in Murray the last game and resting Fox a little more before crunch time. Plus having things go the way he wants has started to allow him to reduce the rotation down to 9 or 10 players.

I hope to see all of that continue and tonights the night I would love to our team crush the Lakers !!

The passing has been an eye-opening revelation. Makes me wonder if Davion ends up being our best trade chip to find a wing while Monk falls into this teams "Bobby Jackson" combo guard role that can play with Fox and also run the 2nd unit as he has been.

For reference:

Bobby Jackson 02-03 (6th man of the year)
28.4 MPG
15.2 PPG
3.1 APG
3.7 RPG
37.9% from 3
56.1% TS

Malik Monk:
21.6 MPG
12.2 PPG
4.4 APG
2.5 RPG
38.3% from 3
57.9% TS

The passing has been an eye-opening revelation. Makes me wonder if Davion ends up being our best trade chip to find a wing while Monk falls into this teams "Bobby Jackson" combo guard role that can play with Fox and also run the 2nd unit as he has been.

For reference:

Bobby Jackson 02-03 (6th man of the year)
28.4 MPG
15.2 PPG
3.1 APG
3.7 RPG
37.9% from 3
56.1% TS

Malik Monk:
21.6 MPG
12.2 PPG
4.4 APG
2.5 RPG
38.3% from 3
57.9% TS
I'm not quite sure that Monk could run the offense by himself but he's certainly been impressive with his willingness to share the ball. That play pictured above where he got the assist to Domas was my favorite play of the season. BJax was in a different scenario where the Kings had 5-6 high level passers on the team at once so the load was shared a bit better there. Monk could potentially get exposed if he's handling full time backup PG duties.

Hopefully this is just how Monk plays going forward and this isn't just a lucky run of play. He's been a straight up game changer every time he's hit the court the last week and a half. I went from not wanting him to do anything other than catch and shoot to enjoying watching him play the pick and roll game with the bigs.

Sometimes it just takes the right opportunity and the coaching to recognize that aspect to bring out the what we are seeing from monk.
these players look to like what they may be building.

New poster. I have followed Malik Monk since he was drafted by Charlotte, then watched last year's abysmal season with the Lakers, and now his move to the Kings. (I live in North Carolina.) This looks like his best opportunity, since in four years he only had one start with the Hornets, under two different coaches. It took a few games to get going, but Kings fans have seen what he can do. His assists have really shot upward this season under Coach Brown.

That Fox-Monk tandem is going to be fun to watch. On occasion, we see Fox, Huerter, and Monk on the court together, where Huerter plays small forward. That will be something to keep an eye on going forward.

I was definitely more excited about signing Monk than Huerter thinking the connection with Fox would be fun to watch. My limited exposure to Kings basketball leads me to believe Huerter is getting more court time with Fox and thats working out good.
So im curious how well Monk and Mitchell pair up.

I was definitely more excited about signing Monk than Huerter thinking the connection with Fox would be fun to watch. My limited exposure to Kings basketball leads me to believe Huerter is getting more court time with Fox and thats working out good.
So im curious how well Monk and Mitchell pair up.
Monk helps a lot when in the backcourt with Davion because Mitchell isn't a natural playmaker as a PG while Monk is a great playmaker for a scoring guard.

The pairing also works well on the other end because while Monk is a bit undersized at the two, Davion's defense and strength let him guard SGs when he needs to.

Monk helps a lot when in the backcourt with Davion because Mitchell isn't a natural playmaker as a PG while Monk is a great playmaker for a scoring guard.

The pairing also works well on the other end because while Monk is a bit undersized at the two, Davion's defense and strength let him guard SGs when he needs to.
Thank you for that. I would think they would compliment each other, look forward to seeing it myself.

Kevin Huerter with tonight's 5/7 from 3 is now:

50/95 on the season for 52.6%. Currently 2nd in the NBA. However, he has 40 more attempts than current leader KCP, who's at 54.5%. Only MPJ is close to his volume within the top 10 with 89 attempts at 48.3%.

He's going to regress, but dude has basically been the best shooter in basketball through 13 games. Preeeetty good use for a protected 24 FRP I must say

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Kevin Huerter with tonight's 5/7 from 3 is now:

50/95 on the season for 52.6%. Currently 2nd in the NBA. However, he has 40 more attempts than current leader KCP, who's at 54.5%. Only MPJ is close to his volume within the top 10 with 89 attempts at 48.3%.

He's going to regress, but dude has basically been the best shooter in basketball through 13 games. Preeeetty good use for a protected 24 FRP I must say
I keep waiting for him to go ice cold and drop his percentages back to his career numbers but even his bad shooting nights are still like 3/8 from three with five assists and a steal.

I keep waiting for him to go ice cold and drop his percentages back to his career numbers but even his bad shooting nights are still like 3/8 from three with five assists and a steal.
Definitely going to regress - but I think he might be a better shooter than his career numbers. His game is tailor made for a motion offense and shooting off action with Sabonis. I think he might be getting better looks than when he played in an offense built around Trae.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Definitely going to regress - but I think he might be a better shooter than his career numbers. His game is tailor made for a motion offense and shooting off action with Sabonis. I think he might be getting better looks than when he played in an offense built around Trae.
Yeah I think his numbers will drop but still wind up in the .400 range. Guy just doesn’t take bad shots and Sabonis will get him clean looks left and right.

This is a great point. It looks like Huerter is really comfortable stepping into his outside shots so all the Kings' early action with the bigs setting those high off ball screens let guys like Huerter and Murray curl around and into their shot.

Huerter is also a good secondary ballhandler and playmaker so he's going to function better in a motion offense than in a pick & roll, iso-heavy offense where his role is mainly just catch and shoot off kickouts.

Last edited: