Houston's Pick... Sacramento bound in 2009?

Okay,

So Houston's pick is going to Sac in 2009 provided they make the playoffs. It looks as if 5 losses in the west makes the difference between third place and ninth place. With the playoff hunt so tight and T-Mac out for the rest of the year, we will need to keep a close eye on Houston. Would the pick better serve the Kings in 2010? Maybe. Do the Kings need young players this offseason? YES! So here we go. Houston has, what, 26 games left? Of those 26, at least 6 are against tough teams... let's keep a standing vigil...

S

sactownfan

This pick really doesn't mean a whole lot to me right now. If Hou misses the playoffs and we have to wait another year for it thats fine with me this draft is weak anyway.

Maybe it will be a blessing in disguise.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Weak draft aside, if Houston's record/division placement improves significantly next year we're still probably better off picking this year if they just squeak in as a 7 or 8 seed.

At this point in time I'm not all about getting the pick either. If we get it, great... If not oh well we save probably $1m that we could potentially use for the right FA

Terrence Williams, Eric Maynor, Craig Brackins, or Dejuan Blair if we pick. Or we can ship it to some rebuilding team with K9's expiring contract for a solid veteran like Kaman.

We'll get the pick most likely. Houston is actually playing better as a team without Tmac. Tmac is a great great player when healthy. But his style doesn't mesh well with Yao. Without Tmac, they've been able to really run the offense through Yao inside out. Yao was able to dominant the Cavs and Big Z all game long this week. They've won 5 straight since the TMac news too.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
They've got the right coach in place down there to try to hold things together through injuries -- its all he's done for the past decade of his career. But things are just so so tight in the West that I'm not going to feel confident until the final buzzer sounds. Houston is only 2.5 out of 2nd...and only 2.0 out of 8th. The key one being 4.0 out of 9th. If they were to finish 8th it would actually be best case for us, although a little too hair raising for me.

The more I see him, the more I want Terrence Williams with our second 1st rounder. He is a complete player, a great athlete, and a great defender. He's a streaky shooter, but he's exciting to watch and he does everything.

Reminds me of Brandon Roy. Similar size and athleticism and Williams can handle the ball some and pass it, too. I'd really love to have him with Houstons pick. Really active defender, too. Problem is, I think he'll be gone.

The more I see him, the more I want Terrence Williams with our second 1st rounder. He is a complete player, a great athlete, and a great defender. He's a streaky shooter, but he's exciting to watch and he does everything.

Reminds me of Brandon Roy. Similar size and athleticism and Williams can handle the ball some and pass it, too. I'd really love to have him with Houstons pick. Really active defender, too. Problem is, I think he'll be gone.
Right there with you on this one.

yeah i agree with you all the way i would want him or johnny flynn he was great during the big east tournament shows a lot of heart and can get to the rim it seems at ease

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member

What's interesting is that he's got some advantages over Roy - better assists, better rebounding, better steals. But he hasn't been anywhere near the shooter that Roy is. 40% from the field and 59% from the FT line for his college career (marginally better shooting but marginally worse FT% this year) leave some pretty serious questions about his ability to score at the NBA level. Great energy, unselfish, but can he be as effective as Roy without being a scoring threat?

That said, I'd probably be happy to use the Houston pick on him if he lasts that long, because he's an interesting prospect.

I got to UofL dental school, so I've seen a LOT of T-Will. I'm totally on his bandwagon, however, I think he reminds me actually quite a bit of an even more athletic Doug Christie. Please draft him. I doubt he's there at 31, but I'd be totally fine taking him with the Houston pick.

Im really glad we have Petrie around right now becuase that late 1st rounder from Houston means more for us than it does other teams considering his great "out of nowhere" picks. Just think of picking up another Martin/Wallace/Hedo ect. with this pick! It's not like it hasn't happened before with us.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I got to UofL dental school, so I've seen a LOT of T-Will. I'm totally on his bandwagon, however, I think he reminds me actually quite a bit of an even more athletic Doug Christie. Please draft him. I doubt he's there at 31, but I'd be totally fine taking him with the Houston pick.
Yeah, there's not much chance he's there at 31. And if Louisville does well in the tournament (which they should) it will probably be a stretch to see him at 25. I'm convinced that the NBA draft "tourney bump" is real.

What I'm saying is, if we want this guy, we should root for Houston to lose a bunch of games.