Horford Opting out?

Oh man I’d love him on the Kings. A true professional, a winner, and very well respected. Young enough to still play but old enough to know he’s not a focal point on offense. Very savvy player as well on both ends of the court. It would all depend on him opting out obviously and what he wants to get in terms of money.

No idea what he is thinking turning down 30 Mil. Can't believe the long term deal he hopes to get thus year looks much different that what would be there next year.
I think his agent screwed him over with bad advice so he can get his cut of a new deal.

He just turned down 30 million, how much do you think he wants to get paid this season?
Well I can tell you he is not getting $30mil (similar to when Gay opted out or why Barnes won’t opt out). They have the $, you give him some shorter, front loaded contract. He gets his $ and the kings don’t get stuck with some massive deal that will preclude them from signing back their own guys in a few years

Well I can tell you he is not getting $30mil (similar to when Gay opted out or why Barnes won’t opt out). They have the $, you give him some shorter, front loaded contract. He gets his $ and the kings don’t get stuck with some massive deal that will preclude them from signing back their own guys in a few years
As long as Vivek is willing to pay the luxury tax we can go over the cap when the rookie deals come up. Could be argued you want a contract around when that time comes.

No idea what he is thinking turning down 30 Mil. Can't believe the long term deal he hopes to get thus year looks much different that what would be there next year.
I think his agent screwed him over with bad advice so he can get his cut of a new deal.
I guess if you are an optimist you could give up 30 for a 3/75?

But then someone is paying the piper when he is 36.

I get that if you think he can bring you a championship, but that's some risky coin.

As long as Vivek is willing to pay the luxury tax we can go over the cap when the rookie deals come up. Could be argued you want a contract around when that time comes.
That’s not a feasible option imo. Yeah the W’s do it, but they are an outlier. Plus why pay a luxury tax when you can do a front loaded contract to avoid such an issue?

That’s not a feasible option imo. Yeah the W’s do it, but they are an outlier. Plus why pay a luxury tax when you can do a front loaded contract to avoid such an issue?
Well if you did do that, by the time the cap becomes an issue, Horford would be too old to want around anyways.

If you want to toss out the big bucks instead of depth, it would be better to find someone who you think you may want to keep beyond 3 or 4 years if that's the case as you could resign them later.

So to me there are 4 options.

1. Find a high priced guy who you not only want for 3-4 years, but if it works out sign them to another contract after.
2. Find more depth to fill out roster cheaper per piece, but ideally the same thing when the cap becomes an issue and keep them for longer
3. Get a guy who will be too old to be of very much use when our guys enter prime and we don't have much money to spare.
4. Use cap now to take on bad loot for future assets

Of all the options 3 seems like the worst call to me.

Players like Horford tend to be fairly good gambles as long as they don't break down. Horford was never worth that deal based on his abilities but he helps his team with intangibles. If he opted out yeah, it's probably because he and Ainge have some agreement on a longer deal or maybe one that involves his own flexibility to leave if Boston comes up empty in FA. It will be interesting to see what Boston does after this because if Irving leaves Horford won't end up doing much for them in the long or short run. And if Boston falls back in the pack they'll have a hard time finding a decent trade deal for him. Ainge will have to play this much smarter than sitting on his own chips too long. He might want to look at 2 years from now and the ability to move towards building around Tatum. He obviously thought he'd be getting top 5 picks this year and it didn't happen so it might be time to scrap it and move on and see if any of those future picks bring in something long term.

Pretty good breakdown of what bringing Horford on could be. Basically a 2yr/60 mil, perfectly aligned with when Fox and Giles need an extension. Especially with Barnes opting out, we'd have the room to bring him on and still add in other spots.

People are also severely underrating how freaking good Horford is (as usual). He's star impact quality on both ends of the court.

Pretty good breakdown of what bringing Horford on could be. Basically a 2yr/60 mil, perfectly aligned with when Fox and Giles need an extension. Especially with Barnes opting out, we'd have the room to bring him on and still add in other spots.

People are also severely underrating how freaking good Horford is (as usual). He's star impact quality on both ends of the court.
I'm guessing that he resigns with Boston, but I would love for the Kings get him. Everyone talks about all the young players on the Celtics, but Horford has been their best and most important player the past 2 seasons.

I love everything that Horford would bring to the Kings. I just can't see him coming here for his final big contract. He'll be looking at a team where he's the final piece of a title contender.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Ok..... I don’t know who Steve Bulpett is but Woj just tweeted out the same on Horford. Both sides are far far apart on a deal and Horford is going to look elsewhere for a 3-4 year deal. Is it posturing?