Hill To Cavaliers per Woj

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Ham is reporting the Kings are bringing back Johnson, Shump, Miami's 2020 2nd round pick and $3 mill. I could be wrong as I am NO expert on the ins and outs of trade rules, but with the 2ndrounder and cash in play this reminds of of the Trade the Cavs made with Atlanta, that essentially allowed the Hawks to waive BOTH players. If memory serves me right we ought to be able to sign Johnson first then waive him to make room for Shumpert. In the end it really does not matter much as we could also waive one of the kids we do not play.

So it looks like a 9 mill salary dump with a 2020 second round pick for a guy that really was not fitting in well.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
If memory serves me right we ought to be able to sign Johnson first then waive him to make room for Shumpert.
That deal would have to go:

1) Kings trade Hill to Utah for Johnson.
2) Kings waive Johnson
3) Three-way trade with Cle/Utah involving Hill/Hood to Cle, Crowder to Utah, Shumpert to Kings, Kings send nothing.

Both #1 (salary cap) and #3 (Kings don't send anything) are not legal.

It’s still not good IMO. I wanted a first or a prospect for the Hill/Shump, but it looks like we waited til the end for anything else to appear...

I just thought that Hill’s ability to bounce back surpassed the difference between him and Shump but I guess we will see how that money is spent

It also kind of smarts that Hill is getting his way of moaning to a contender after the contempt I’ve drawn for him

It’s still not good IMO. I wanted a first or a prospect for the Hill/Shump, but it looks like we waited til the end for anything else to appear...

I just thought that Hill’s ability to bounce back surpassed the difference between him and Shump but I guess we will see how that money is spent

It also kind of smarts that Hill is getting his way of moaning to a contender after the contempt I’ve drawn for him
First for Hill smh now that’s funny GMs wouldn’t even pick up calls from us again if we insisted on that

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
That deal would have to go:

1) Kings trade Hill to Utah for Johnson.
2) Kings waive Johnson
3) Three-way trade with Cle/Utah involving Hill/Hood to Cle, Crowder to Utah, Shumpert to Kings, Kings send nothing.

Both #1 (salary cap) and #3 (Kings don't send anything) are not legal.
That looks like it would would work, of course if the plan is to cut another player anyway; then I guess why bother.
EDIT
Macadocious post above may hold the key here! I will await the verdict from Capt.

Why would the Kings not just waive Malichi than to trade for the Toronto player and then waive him? Doesn't really make sense. Much easier to just waive Malichi, unless Toronto is sending a pick or cash our way.
Look in the other thread. Bruno's contract expires this year..whereas Malachi's doesn't expire until 2020.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Malachi really was a bit of an odd man out.... but I still don't understand what we're gaining here vs. making moves in the offseason.

Are we expecting to be players in 2018 free agency?

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Malachi really was a bit of an odd man out.... but I still don't understand what we're gaining here vs. making moves in the offseason.

Are we expecting to be players in 2018 free agency?
Trade deadline is still an hour off - maybe we make a deal to get Harkless? He would take up some of that cash.

I would have rather the Kings held on to Hill until the Summer or into next season. There really was no rush to deal him. Getting a 2020 2nd rounder is MEH and nothing that wouldn’t have been available later on.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
I would have rather the Kings held on to Hill until the Summer or into next season. There really was no rush to deal him. Getting a 2020 2nd rounder is MEH and nothing that wouldn’t have been available later on.

It's dangerous because the draft adds salary to teams cap that might restrict certain moves considering the only way to get cap space for that summer is to trade with a team that has space. Teams usually have more in expiring contracts every year than they actually end up having space to take on salary. Also the only teams interested would be one making a run now and would most likely rather have the space to play with in the summer, not Hill. You'd have to wait for teams to strike out. It's a bad deal but clears up some mistakes.

So far I am OK with this deal. It’s not like we had anything but money tied up for Hill and we were not going to use him much.
If all we do is free up cap space it’s a win for me. We got rid of one of our young players that we had and was not going to use and they gave us $3mil so we came out in the end after the two deals.

Now we can move forward to the draft and hopefully get one of the guys we need.

With a top 3 pick and if Giles is as advertised plus 24-40 mil under cap for hopefully a good free agent next year it’s better than where we were.