Hate to bring this up but worst case scenario... Warriors or Super Sonics

If Kings leave who do you support?

• Total voters
No, it doesn't. Stick your head in the sand if you want to. The "Cleveland Browns" were created in 1999. Anyone who says that's the same team that won four NFL Championships is lying to themselves.
I guess you just won't believe it until Nate McMillans jersey is up in the new Seattle arena and Webber's is not.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
You can convince yourself of anything if you want it to be right. Logically they are no longer the Kings, that is really no debatable. Hell, part of Clay Bennets deal when he left was to relinquish all Sonics trademark and history back to seattle if they got a team. I guess you could argue that they would merge Kings history into that, but I don't see that happening.
If they got an expansion team. They're not getting an expansion team, they're getting a team that already has its own history.

In the first place, Bennett can relinquish the trademarks, and banners, and whatever else, but he doesn't have the right to relinquish the history, because the history doesn't just exist in the record books; it also exists in the living memories of the people who watched the team. And, as long as those people are still alive, the Sonics/Thunder history will exist as it actually happened, not how Clay Bennett says that it happened. And furthermore, that's a completely disingenuous point of view, anyway: if ex-Sonics fans didn't believe that the Thunder were still the Sonics, they wouldn't still be pissed that Oklahoma City "stole" their team.

In the second place, even if I took to your preposterous point of view, which I don't, there is no indication that this new prospective ownership group has made any such agreement with the city of Sacramento, or that they will accept the Sonics trademarks, or the rest of it. The last I checked, there's no rule stating that they have to become the Sonics.

Let's see who is still rooting for the Kings, Sonics or whatever they will be named after a couple of years.
You will more than likely be watching a ton of Warrior games and only see Seattle a few times each year.
Run the same poll in two years and see how many more fans will become Warrior fans because who will be force fed to you.
Their memories will be there, but I doubt most of you who say you will be Seattle fans will say that in a couple of years.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Let's see who is still rooting for the Kings, Sonics or whatever they will be named after a couple of years.
You will more than likely be watching a ton of Warrior games and only see Seattle a few times each year.
Run the same poll in two years and see how many more fans will become Warrior fans because who will be force fed to you...
Most of the people ITT who say that they will follow the team to Seattle do not live in Sacramento, and will not be force-fed anything.

What you said is both ironic and a contradiction. You support his statement (supposedly), but then proceed to do exactly the opposite by switching teams.

I personally would continue to follow the team to Seattle. Of course, I would much prefer the Kings to stay in Sacramento. When I say "Sacramento Kings," there is just a flow to it that no other team has for me. I feel for all the Sacramento region residents. In all honesty, if Sacramento would get a team back, I would once again be a fan of the Sacramento Kings. I just enjoy basketball too much to not have a team. And I refuse to like any other team. This is the closest I can be to being a Sacramento Kings fan.
When I say Seattle Kings it makes me want to throw up.

Initially, I thought it would easily be the Sonics. But then when you think about it, the Kings will become the Seattle Supersonics, not Kings or Royals. Remember they kept the team colors, logos and history. So the Kings will be mixed with the Sonics' history? That is some weird crap.

We understand the difference, but 5-10 years from now.. I think the Kings history would be eventually wiped out in people's memories. I mean, if the Kings moved to another city.. at least they will still have their own history completely. I love this team but moving to Seattle's specific situation is a very weird and uneasy thing.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I voted nobody/other team which is a cop out because I can't decide if I'd follow the Celts full time, adopt the Blazers or wash my hands of the NBA and stick with the Arizona Wildcats for my hoops fix.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Initially, I thought it would easily be the Sonics. But then when you think about it, the Kings will become the Seattle Supersonics, not Kings or Royals. Remember they kept the team colors, logos and history. So the Kings will be mixed with the Sonics' history? That is some weird crap.
Do we even know this, or are all of you just assuming this? Just because Bennett left the trademark, etc. to the name Supersonics, does not necessarily compel the Kings to become the Supersonics.

Do we even know this, or are all of you just assuming this? Just because Bennett left the trademark, etc. to the name Supersonics, does not necessarily compel the Kings to become the Supersonics.

I think you are doing this because this is how you want it. There is ZERO chance that if this team goes to Seattle that it's not named the Seattle SuperSonics.

And even though I believe this is premature, the first team I fell in love with when I was a kid was the Orlando Magic Finals team in 1995. Once I began to follow the NBA more closely, I became a Kings fan. So, I guess the Magic have always kind of been my "2nd favorite," if that exists.

I didn't say you have to stop watching basketball. Are you that reliant on aligning yourself with something that you have to be a fan of a new team immediately. Make absolutely no logical sense to me and tells me you are not a true fan.
I'm sorry, but you can't say I'm not a true fan based on your personal rules. I live in Italy, so I don't have a local connection. If the Kings leave, I'll be very sorry. I want them to stay. I lived in Roseville for almost a year back in 2000, so I really know what the Kings mean for Sacramento and the fans over there. But, if they leave, I'll follow them. Maybe they will be the Sonics, but we all know the original franchise was the Kings. I like these guys and I'll still be a fan of them.

Sorry, but I got a little upset with what you said. Just because I don't live in the area and I'd follow the Kings if they leave, it doesn't mean I'm not a true fan. I watch all the games on League Pass. Most of the times, anytime I can, I watch the games live, and when the Kings play in Sacramento it's 4.00 am here.

L

LWP777

It's sports code. Your team up and leaves, you reject them. I don't care where you live.

If they do move (and obviously I really hope they don't) and you are a Sacramento Kings fan, you wait until Sacramento gets a team again. Period.

You can still watch the NBA, but you can't be a fan of any one team. Because if you do, and Sac gets a team, you cannnot switch back.
I do not believe that Sacramento will ever get an NBA team again if the Kings move to Seattle. Not in our lifetime at least....

L

LWP777

I think you are doing this because this is how you want it. There is ZERO chance that if this team goes to Seattle that it's not named the Seattle SuperSonics.
I have to admit, the SuperSonics is an awesome name.....sure beats the hell out of the lame "Kings" name.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I was a Celtics fan for over 20 years before the Kings came to Sacramento. If the Kings left, I would return to being a Celtics fan.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I didn't say you have to stop watching basketball. Are you that reliant on aligning yourself with something that you have to be a fan of a new team immediately. Make absolutely no logical sense to me and tells me you are not a true fan.
One warning and one warning only. Knock off the demeaning crap about "true fan"... There's a lot of discussion going on and none of it has to dissolve into that kind of crap. Something being illogical to you does not negate its validity.

What does that have to do with anything? They are no longer the Sacramento Kings. Hell, they won't even be the Kings anymore. They will be a different franchise completely.

I don't think there are a lot of old Houston Oiler fans who are now Tennessee Titan fans. The only people who will be a fan of this team, that were "Kings Fans" will be ones who were a fan of player or players(s), not the team itself.
Ok then, guess that means I'm not a Kings fan. Thanks for your clear insight :) Doesn't matter that I've supported the Kings from days past and none of the same players are on the team anymore. But no, it's black and white - you either support the Kings and have no attachment to the players on the roster or you are not a Kings fan.

Really quite turned off by some of the opinions here. You know what? **** you, because at least I'll have a team to root for, Kings or not. Ridiculous how you can insinuate that I am not a Kings fan if I decide to continue following this team in Seattle. Obviously I may cease to be a "Kings fan" because the Kings will cease to exist. That's just being idiotic.

As an international fan I try to sympathize with the majority of you sac folks who may be losing your team, but I really cannot put up with this kind of bullsh*t. I realize that the team is the SACRAMENTO Kings, but that doesn't mean that anyone outside Sacramento can't follow the team. And don't for a second think that we non-sac Kings fans won't feel sad or disappointed that Webber's jersey may not hang from the rafters.

One last thing, your little "sports fan" code is pure bull. If this message board ceases to exist I will miss some of the SAC folks like VF, but I will be more than happy to be rid of idiots like you.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Ok then, guess that means I'm not a Kings fan. Thanks for your clear insight :) Doesn't matter that I've supported the Kings from days past and none of the same players are on the team anymore. But no, it's black and white - you either support the Kings and have no attachment to the players on the roster or you are not a Kings fan.

Really quite turned off by some of the opinions here. You know what? **** you, because at least I'll have a team to root for, Kings or not. Ridiculous how you can insinuate that I am not a Kings fan if I decide to continue following this team in Seattle. Obviously I may cease to be a "Kings fan" because the Kings will cease to exist. That's just being idiotic.

As an international fan I try to sympathize with the majority of you sac folks who may be losing your team, but I really cannot put up with this kind of bullsh*t.
Enough.

I honestly don't know!

I am not from Sacramento and have never been to Sacramento. I started following the Kings back in the Spud Webb days and lived through the days when 2 of my country men, together with C-Webb, Bibby, Doug and B-Jax put this team back on the world map. As someone that is not born and bred in Sacramento I have no attachment to the area other than the team.

Having said that, I would be shattered if the team moved to Seattle. As someone who has loved Vlade and C-Webb Kings, I could never get over the fact that those 2 retired jerseys would not have anywhere to hang.

Would I follow the Kings if they became the Sonics, I still have not decided yet. I like DMC and Tyreke and would like to see them succeed so chances are I probably might as I believe this team is on the verge of becoming good with a new ownership group. However, I am not sure if I could have the same passion. It would be the same team but I just could not connect to it as I could with the jerseys as I could with the Kings.

As I said I followed the Kings since the Spud Webb days but my love for the team got rubber stamped with Vlade and Peja playing with C-Webb and the guys and putting Sacramento on a global map, not just the NBA map.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I already addressed him. If people would use the "refer a post" to alert the moderators, a lot of this stuff would be finished more quickly.

Now for everyone, there is a note from the moderators at the beginning of tonight's game thread. I suggest everyone read it because we're pretty much into zero tolerance mode.

I would go back to being a Laker fan.. And what a terrible time to be a Laker fan!!!!!

As for the Sonics, they aren't the Kings. Once the team leaves and ceases to be the Kings then they are no longer relevant to me.

Says who? Has Hansen said it?
They will be called the Supersonics. There is no ifs ands or buts about it. It's already been discussed ever since the other Sonics left. The team will also take the Sonics history starting with next year as well as from 2008-. The Kings history stays with Sacramento and is a future team comes to Sacramento we would most likely name them the Kings and carry on their legacy. If not then the Kings will never exist in their current form again. As for the Royals vs Kings this was a very long time ago and trademark laws are not remotely the same as they used to be.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol I almost got suckered into reading that whole retarded argument. Voted Seattle if they do wind up moving. I'll be a fan of whoever I please and won't give a damn if someone thinks less of me for not being a "true fan". Go Kings for as long as they are the Kings. Then...go whoever they are after that.

I really don't know, I hadn't had a team until latching on to the Kings. There is a something unique about this team, a humility or understated nature that other teams lack. Everything from the announcers to the sponsors, the promotion and production, Crazy Bill Walton randomly appearing, it all just seems.... nice. It's not about celebrities at court side or over the top presentation or superstar ego, its just how the community reflects on the team I guess.

K

KingMilz

If they move depends what they do with the roster,but I'm a basketball fan and like a lot of teams plus I don't live in Sac-Town so I got no connection other than just loving the old Sac teams and watching DMC/Reke.