Has the play of Rondo made Darren Collison dispensible?

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
we can trade him for a trade exception to chase another FA. curry could come in and rain 3s spacing the floor for rudy and cuz
No.

We've gone thorgh 10 straight years of teams half composed of scrubs no other NBA team would even employ. We're not going back to that. Collison/Belinelli, Koufos/Casspi are all players who have played prominent bench roles for 50+ win West powers in recent years. That's who you want your bench to be. Not could bes or maybes.

Despite how Rondo has been playing, I still believe that Collison will surprise all of us and may take over the starting spot mid-season or more likely next year.

Just to clarify, NovembersVeryOwn never said "we should trade Collison." He asked if anyone was worried about the affect DC would have on Rondo. Try to relax, people.

Just to clarify, NovembersVeryOwn never said "we should trade Collison." He asked if anyone was worried about the affect DC would have on Rondo. Try to relax, people.
In the title he wrote "dispensable," although I think he meant expendable. Either way, yes, it appears he was referring to getting rid of Collison in some way.

Last edited:
Darren is a team first guy – as good as he is on the court he is also one glassy guy off the court. We never heard a peep of a complaint from him when we went after Rondo and DC lost his starting job. He and Rondo are working well when both are on the floor, and I believe together, they have a huge upside that will unfold as the season progresses.

I just think it is rare to have a guy with Darren’s skill accept the situation he found himself in this season, in light of his outstanding play last year, and not voice any kind of displeasure. His professional demeanor and positive outlook, combined with his superb on -court skills, makes him a very valued commodity on our roster (he would be a starter on many other teams!). We should be grateful we have both Rondo and Darren!

Let me clear something up, here, I never advocated within my post trading Darren Collison. I do believe he is a valuable asset. With that said, we've seen Rondo play when he's sharing minutes with Collison, and we've now seen him consecutively play 40+ minutes. From what I personally have witnessed, I think that it is abundantly clear that Rondo has been much more effective since Collison went down. Whether the two correlations are related is up for you wonderful fans to decide. I'm afraid, well, let's say nervous, of seeing DC come back and start to notice Rajon's effectiveness or productivity decrease. I am hoping that George Karl plays DC solely at the SG position so as not to throw off the rhythm of our triple double king.

No.

Collison is still your bench spark and has been great at it. You can play him with Rondo against certain units. He'll probably still get around 30 minutes once he's recovered.

A good PG rotation is important in this league. The Warriors have Steph Curry, but that doesn't mean they got lax on their backup PG. Shaun Livingston and Barbosa make a big difference as well.

Along with everything else that's been said, he's also a nice point guard to have, when we don't want to take our chances in a close game, with a 40-50% free throw shooter.

"Hack a Rondo" could rear it's ugly head in the most important games

Why would you want to get rid of one of our best shooters and one of the best backup PG's in the league? Rondo can't sustain the minutes he's playing all season long.

The one good thing that's come out of Collison's injury is it looks like Rondo has quickly built up chemistry with the team that most likely isn't going to go away once he's back to playing 30 minutes or so.
Yep, its like Koufos is expandable, since we are much better with Cousins on the floor.

I think we will see a lot of DC and Rondo together down the stretch. Karl's preferred lineup in crunch time appears to be Rondo-DC-Rudy-Cousins with either Marco or Omri, depending on who is playing better. He then shuttles in guys like KK, Ben, or WCS in late game situations where we might need more defense. With Rondo having found his game, I think DC plays about 12 minutes per game backing up Rondo, and another 12-15 at the 2. My best guess on Karl's distribution (note, not mine, my best GUESS as to KARL's) is as follows:

PG- Rondo- 36, DC- 12
SG- Ben- 24, DC- 12, Marco-12
SF- Rudy-12, Omri- 24, Marco- 12
PF- WCS- 21, Rudy- 21, KK- 6
C- Boogie- 33, KK- 15

That gives you Rondo- 36 (I think he needs that many minutes to impact the game), Boogie and Rudy- 33 (I think they should both play less than 36-40 to keep them fresh), Ben, Omri, Marco, and DC- 24, WCS and KK- 21.

A nice 9 man rotation. Minutes can go up and down depending on matchups and how guys are playing. I would personally give a few extra to DC at the expense of Ben/Omri/Marco. You still have Acy, Butler, Anderson, Curry, and Moreland who are not part of the 9-deep and don't get regular minutes, but have all (except maybe Moreland) played at least some meaningful minutes this year and shown they can contribute in the right spots.

That is how the real teams do it. Identify a 9-man core. Let them play, and have useful guys who can come in and play when called upon in the 10-13 holes.

On sort of a random side note: did anyone else notice/feel that Collison's shot changed? Sort of the way he jumps into his shot looked different from last year.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just to look at this from another perspective, Rajon is on a one year deal with no guarantee that he resigns for next year. Darren is signed at an absolute bargain for two more seasons after this one.

Right now Darren is actually the better asset when you consider both production AND contract status.

That said, I get where the OP's coming from. Rondo HAS played better the last couple games but I'm not sure that's so much DC being out as Rajon just getting more comfortable with a new system and all his new teammates.

The season is still very young and I think we've got one of the better PG tandems in the league. As time goes by they'll settle into their roles and improve the team.

In short, I'd be very upset if DC were dealt.

Collison makes $5 million a season for this and next year. We would be stupid to even consider moving that contract. Just as PDA was stupid to let Isaiah walk instead of paying him $7 million a season. Good lord.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Despite how Rondo has been playing, I still believe that Collison will surprise all of us and may take over the starting spot mid-season or more likely next year.

Collison is who he is and its too late to be making large surges in play.

Rondo was a 4x All Star and NBA champion, if Collison were to pass him up that's all about Rondo, not DC. The gap in presence is enormous. Collison was solid and adequate for us last year as a starter. Gave us a chance. But Rondo has presence and sees everything. Different level.

we will be very happy to have DC if we manage to reach the playoffs and the whole opposing gameplan is to make Rondo shoot jumpshots.
In this league you need versatility to be successful.
And DC can change the way we play by providing the necessary spacing to let Cuz operate in the low post.
No he is not expendable, unless Curry suddenly plays more like his brother and proves, that this is not just some hot stretch for some games.

Basically it all comes down to a wait and see aproach until next offseason.

Wowsers
I don't know in what universe not having a backup pg had paid dividends. You have yourself a legitimate starter who is playing backup point and thriving...and you want to toss him?

I probably misread the TS. Had to...

funny, while the premise of the OP is quite ridiculous, there might be something to the idea of the kings playing better without collison. when he was out, coach was forced to move away from small ball, because he had very few players on the court with speed, so we saw greater patience from the team and a stronger commitment to rim protection. this is, of course, not a slight on darren, but a slight on the coach's strategy when darren is available. i'd really prefer not to see rondo/collison-led units anymore. it's a tremendous defensive liability to place them on the court at the same time, and while rondo certainly has had his share of turnover issues during his brief tenure as a king, shifting him off-ball completely neutralizes any utility he has. karl has to find a way to fall out of love with his desire to play small. as a situational strategy, there may be moments when it proves effective, but as an overall approach for this particular roster? that's just doomed to fail, if you ask me...