HARRY GILES (merged)

:( Temple and VC were class acts.

I still don't understand the reason behind trading Temple, since there hasn't been any follow up moves to justify losing a serviceable small forward for another shooting guard (BMac) and big man (Davis) that may not make the final cuts.

I think the Kings would had been better off just keeping Temple for his veteran presence. :(

:(

Temple and VC were class acts.

I still don't understand the reason behind trading Temple, since there hasn't been any follow up moves to justify losing a serviceable small forward for another shooting guard (BMac) and big man (Davis) that may not make the final cuts.

I think the Kings would had been better off just keeping Temple for his veteran presence. :(
There comes a time when the young guys have to take over. That time is now for us and Temple would not have played much here because of that. There were talks that we traded Temple as a favor in order for him to get more playing time. You have to remember he's not 40 years old like Vince, he has plenty left in the gas tank.

There comes a time when the young guys have to take over. That time is now for us and Temple would not have played much here because of that. There were talks that we traded Temple as a favor in order for him to get more playing time. You have to remember he's not 40 years old like Vince, he has plenty left in the gas tank.
We can only hope that coach Joeger gives the majority of the minutes to the young core guys (Buddy, Bogdan, JJ) and not the 1 year contracts vets, BMac and Iman. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
We can only hope that coach Joeger gives the majority of the minutes to the young core guys (Buddy, Bogdan, JJ) and not the 1 year contracts vets, BMac and Iman. :rolleyes:
Pretty sure Vlade has made it quite difficult to play anyone but the young kids. Z-bo is going to become major trade bait as we get closer to the deadline in the season and maybe even KK. I think the trio of WCS, Giles, and Bagley is what we should keep, with KK if at all possible being the 4th big. Shumpert is a question mark but he's been injured so much that I doubt he'll be a major cog going forward. Don't worry about Ben, if he does get minutes, he will very quickly play himself into the doghouse and we all know the reason why.

I think I remember hearing coach Joerger talk about increasing the pace so at least our philosophy on offense is changing. Our personnel for the most part is designed for fast pace. I'm definitely hopeful and I expect Fox to be much more involved on offense this time around.

I will have to say that I was not expecting much from Giles but after watching him even with the small sample from summer league I was very impressed.
His quickness and motor was very good on both sides of the ball.
but his shooting was what stood out for me the most as we all see some big guys with the inside or good motor but very seldom do they have mid to long range shooting skills.

We may have a real winner here.

I feel like he doesn't have as much ups as he did before but it looks like hes compensated some of that with skill. The dude I saw in hs was an athletic freak, this HG not as much

I feel like he doesn't have as much ups as he did before but it looks like hes compensated some of that with skill. The dude I saw in hs was an athletic freak, this HG not as much
Noticed that as well. He just doesn't have the hops he used to have. Not sure if that is gone for good or will come back with more time. Regardless, his skill level on both sides of the ball is very encouraging at such a young age. I still think he has a multi-time All-Star ceiling but with more vertical he would have top 5 player in the league potential.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Noticed that as well. He just doesn't have the hops he used to have. Not sure if that is gone for good or will come back with more time. Regardless, his skill level on both sides of the ball is very encouraging at such a young age. I still think he has a multi-time All-Star ceiling but with more vertical he would have top 5 player in the league potential.
Verticality tends to get overrated a lot based on sheer highlight reel potential. Horizontally, it doesn't appear that Giles has been all that adversely effected (at least on defense).

This may end up being a good thing in the long run. Some young players tend to rely on their athleticism too much as opposed to working hard to develop advanced basketball skills and a head for the game.

Harry's injury has likely forced him to focus his attention toward working on his weaknesses. He has had the time and apparently the work ethic to effectively hone his basketball skills and knowledge of the game.

I noticed in summer league he does a few things at an elite level such as:

Starting the fast break very quickly and effectively
Great hands (innate)
Excellent defensive position
Excellent anticipation
Offensive and defensive awareness
Shooting, both facing up and from the post

None of the listed things above require elite athleticism. Harry plays with great intelligence IMO. I would prefer a player with better skills and smarts over athleticism. Super athletes are not uncommon but a guy who knows how to play the game the right way; high bb IQ, good passing, defense, ball skills and shooting? That's a player I want on my team.

I have very high hopes for Giles. I have not been this excited about a player since Peja came over from Europe. I think Harry has a chance, barring injury, to be the Kings best player and eventually an all star.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
:(

Temple and VC were class acts.

It was a numbers thing. The team is rebuilding and the improvement of the young guys is the most important thing right now. There wasn't going to be many minutes at SG for Temple especially when you add Shumpert into the mix, and Temple really isn't a SF any more than any of the other Kings on the team are, other than Jackson. The Kings had let Temple know in advance that he wasn't going to play if he opted in. So when he did, they did their best to find him a trade to a competitive team.

The bottom line was that the Kings loved Temple and had great respect for him, but he wasn't in the future plans of the team, and the future of the team was starting this season. It was simply a numbers game. I think McLemore is irrelevant in the deal. Sorry Mac!

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Verticality tends to get overrated a lot based on sheer highlight reel potential. Horizontally, it doesn't appear that Giles has been all that adversely effected (at least on defense).
Injury aside, remember that when he was sent to LA to be tested, his lateral quickness tested out to be that of a super athletic SF, so if you can move laterally, you can probably jump. By all reports that I've read, Giles weighs around 250 now and in highschool he weighed around 225. Stands to reason that if your carrying an additional 25 pounds, you might not be able to jump quite as high as before. Looks like he can still dunk with ease, so I'm not worried.

As stated above in another post, one of the things that impressed me in summer league, and I was in both Sacramento and Las Vegas, was his jumpshot. He shoots it with very little effort, and he has that hard to explain soft shot that seems to bounce around and go in when it's off a bit. It wouldn't surprise me if he's the best player on our team 3 years from now.

You guys are right about Giles. The skills hes developed post injury are going to be very valuable imo. Also interesting insight regarding the extra weight, I hadnt thought about that. That was just me being greedy haha, but I'll take the higher skill player all day every day.

I feel like his confidence on offense attacking off the dribble will be his biggest hurdle mentally. In one of the videos posted he tries to attack off the elbow and ends up falling and putting up a shot from the ground. This is also something I noticed in Summerleague, seemed hesitant on any drive outside of a straight line. If he focuses early on being a pick and pop guy and he establishes the outside shot as a legit weapon that will be key for him to be an asset on offense this year. Him being able to make plays off the dribble will be the key to his ceiling in the long term though.

I feel like his confidence on offense attacking off the dribble will be his biggest hurdle mentally. In one of the videos posted he tries to attack off the elbow and ends up falling and putting up a shot from the ground. This is also something I noticed in Summerleague, seemed hesitant on any drive outside of a straight line. If he focuses early on being a pick and pop guy and he establishes the outside shot as a legit weapon that will be key for him to be an asset on offense this year. Him being able to make plays off the dribble will be the key to his ceiling in the long term though.
It looked like he was focusing on being a pick and pop guy so that should be good with his jumper.
I will have to say that I was not expecting much from Giles but after watching him even with the small sample from summer league I was very impressed.
His quickness and motor was very good on both sides of the ball.
but his shooting was what stood out for me the most as we all see some big guys with the inside or good motor but very seldom do they have mid to long range shooting skills.

We may have a real winner here.
Ya I wasn’t expecting mush from him just wanted a big yo run and finish. I tampered in the hype especially saying he could shoot, than summer league happened.

Not sure if this one has been posted.It might just be a different edit.

The behind the back pass is impressive.

His handles remind me of a poor mans Webber...which is still really good. I'm curious to see how they'll translate to the NBA. Some of those drives would get the ball stolen easy but some looked good and it's not like he doesn't have years to improve. I'm more excited to see him than any other player this year.

I'm so stoked for Giles. He looks so hungry, and I am going to love watching that man eat. I know he hasn't made it stick in real games yet, but I get that feeling that he's going to be a real, real player in the NBA when watching him. So glad training camp is right around the corner!
The more I watch him pass and cut the more I can’t wait to see him and Bogdanovic play together.

yeah, harry has long arms and strong hands too so he can kinda casually dunk it without having crazy momentum. I'm not so sure I agree with the statement that he was some athletic freak (a la Greg Brown III) back in HS, he had crazy hand-eye coordination sure.

The word on Harry, and I mean who really knows, but some of the mud being slung around the draft was that you can see the damage that was done when he has to land on his right knee (which is the original injury, the more recent stuff is his left)..

I actually have pretty good hops myself and am fairly well read on the subject of plyometrics, generally speaking the maximum impact you can absorb is directly correlated with the force you can output, so if his landing on that right knee is affected, it's safe to assume his hops are affected as well -- now before we go too crazy with this, the difference on the court could be rather negligible, I dare someone to explain the difference between a 33" and 30" vert for a player with a frame like Harry.

I will be CLOSELY watching to see how often and how gracefully he hits the ground. I got a lil nervous seeing him slip to the floor in the video posted here, looks like that was a footing issue tho.

It was not that long ago that Giles was highly touted and likely to go in the top 5 in the draft. His injuries put him under the radar for awhile. It is a testament to modern medicine that he can play in the NBA. I broke my femur in 3 places in a mule wreck awhile back. Now I am backpacking at age 68.

Giles (and Bagley) infuse the Kings with a level of athletic ability that they have not seen for 10 years or more. I am very optimistic about both of them. They have the potential to make people forget all about Willie and Skal.

Would be a disappointment for me if he wasn’t starting, which would give the campaign some excitement (not that I expect that from Joerger). Maybe he will be on a minutes restriction do to health? I’m 99% past WCS, and for me the minutes should be Giles/Bagley/Skal’s with the role players

But Giles starting is something to tune in for nightly

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Would be a disappointment for me if he wasn’t starting, which would give the campaign some excitement (not that I expect that from Joerger). Maybe he will be on a minutes restriction do to health? I’m 99% past WCS, and for me the minutes should be Giles/Bagley/Skal’s with the role players

But Giles starting is something to tune in for nightly
If he doesn't start immediately, it's not a mark against Joerger IMHO. It's an indication that he needs to walk as an NBA player before he can run. I seriously doubt if he's going to be on a minutes restriction. He sat out last year to make sure that wouldn't be necessary.