HARRY GILES (merged)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Look, I'm as excited and optimistic as anyone else about Harry, but let's see him in real NBA action in a proper structure before anointing him. I hate to sound like a sourpuss, but we need to develop 3 young bigs, evaluate Willie, and explore trade options for Kosta/Randolph. There are only so many minutes you can hand out, so some guys will get the shaft. The vets will not be sent to G-league, and it's possible that in the process Giles/Bagley/Skal see limited court time.

Young players, even good ones, often play inconsistently, and in our structure, where minutes might be rationed, it may be even more so. If we are able to resolve the crowd upfront, this discussion will be moot. Else, we should not discount the idea of them spending some time in Stockton. The aim should not be to be the best player on the team, but to be one of the best in the league. I think that regular and consistent minutes will be useful, that they are more likely to get in the G league.

Just my $0.02
Gotta disagree here. Giles doesn't need time in the G league. He's already shown a basketball IQ some veterans would be lucky to have after years in the league. He's the real deal.

Agreed. Right now if I was building my fantasy team and had my pick of Kings players I would be torn between Fox, Bogi and Giles.

I think there are better odds that Giles makes an appearance in the Rising Stars challenge rather than G-league.
Don't sleep on Buddy.

If Joerger plays him 30min a night and barring injury, I can almost guarantee you he will be the Kings best wing. His advanced metrics took a big jump from year 1 to year 2. ESPN's RPM stat had him jumping from 406th his rookie year to 160th in the league last year. Basketball reference had him making a big jump as well. If he improves the same amount this year, he will be giving something close to Rudy Gay's production during his first couple years with the Kings.

I like your post and wanted to point out a potential trend. I'm sure obious to many already.

The red shirted high potential, injury and or other situation that allows a player to spend a year out type player, i.e. Dirty Harry, JoJo ( more than a year) I believe will become more and more prominent.

I think the limited sample size of these type of "groomed rookies" shows an interesting potential shift, however minor, in the dynamics of the league.

Curious as to your thoughts
At the end of the day, you have the guy locked into the same rookie contact. Yes, the red shirt “rookie” may create a better first impression on the court, but it’s still his second year on his contract. Fox is going to look a lot better this year in the second year of his contract too. Wouldn’t it be fair to say the red shirt rookie is somewhere inbeteeen a 1st year and second year player? For a guy with an injury history, it certainly makes a whole lot of sense. Will be curious if the nuggets go that route with Porter.

not only that midrange, but his post moves, fadeaways and that running half hook with both left and right have looked good so far. add to that the three and that is super versatile. i mean if all of that holds up, how do you stop someone like that? we will see how that goes with the larger sample size.

speaking of hype, one thing that looked worse than hyped, to me, is his passing. he had bunch of these turnovers where he sees this "great pass" but he is too slow/obvious/imprecise in the execution and turns it over....
You do realize that most of the roster in the summer league is filled with scrubs right? Passing is largely dependent on who you play with and your familiarity with them. I'm not too worried

Getting in the Giles hype train.

He has a hint of Kevin Garnett. Loving what I'm watching. I echo what you guys are saying, can't wait for the PnR with Bogie.
I love the fire he plays with and how he isn't afraid to hold others accountable. It'll be nice to have an actual leader on the court who does things other than roll his eyes and take possessions off complaining.

I love the fire he plays with and how he isn't afraid to hold others accountable. It'll be nice to have an actual leader on the court who does things other than roll his eyes and take possessions off complaining.
This is HUGE. Especially when you put him on the court with WCS. Giles will bring out the best in WCS. As well as in getting rest of his teammates going. His passion and enthusiasm will be contagious. A passion snowball one might say

Gotta disagree here. Giles doesn't need time in the G league. He's already shown a basketball IQ some veterans would be lucky to have after years in the league. He's the real deal.
It's obviously a lot more than just BB IQ. He's coming back after a long long time away from competitive BB. I think his development will be aided by playing in real games, rather than riding the bench, and working in practice (latter is important too, but the former can't be discounted. A certain balance will be required). He needs to get his sea legs under him, learn to fight for position against bigger, stronger, older guys, pass out of double teams, develop more consistent jumper from longer range, develop a stronger handle, reduce turnovers, and so much more. Ultimately, there are only 96 minutes to be passed out, and we need to find some of them for Bagley, Willie, and Kosta too (Both are possible trade candidates, and we won't be increasing their value by making them sit on the bench). Even Randolph will likely get some minutes, largely due to his veteran status and relationship with Dave, though I doubt any team trades for him at this point in his career. I think a G league stint will develop not only Giles, but also Bagley and Skal. Equally important, they can develop a chemistry, as the former two at least are likely the front court of our future.

It's obviously a lot more than just BB IQ. He's coming back after a long long time away from competitive BB. I think his development will be aided by playing in real games, rather than riding the bench, and working in practice (latter is important too, but the former can't be discounted. A certain balance will be required). He needs to get his sea legs under him, learn to fight for position against bigger, stronger, older guys, pass out of double teams, develop more consistent jumper from longer range, develop a stronger handle, reduce turnovers, and so much more. Ultimately, there are only 96 minutes to be passed out, and we need to find some of them for Bagley, Willie, and Kosta too (Both are possible trade candidates, and we won't be increasing their value by making them sit on the bench). Even Randolph will likely get some minutes, largely due to his veteran status and relationship with Dave, though I doubt any team trades for him at this point in his career. I think a G league stint will develop not only Giles, but also Bagley and Skal. Equally important, they can develop a chemistry, as the former two at least are likely the front court of our future.
Dude....there is a 0% chance that Bagley sees time in the G-League. The only way I see Giles going there is if after like 25 games he's completely stinking up the joint...then maybe, but this scenario is extremely unlikely. And, they are NEVER going to send the #2 pick of the draft to the G-League. It's just not going to happen.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude

KINGS: Dumbly trade their franchise big man for crackerjacks.

KANGZ: Dumbly trade their franchise big man for relative crackerjacks, but through a miraculous set of circumstances, somehow manage to blunder their way into another one (Something this franchise appears to how done twice somehow between the Webber trade and Boogie trade)

Last edited:
Dude....there is a 0% chance that Bagley sees time in the G-League. The only way I see Giles going there is if after like 25 games he's completely stinking up the joint...then maybe, but this scenario is extremely unlikely. And, they are NEVER going to send the #2 pick of the draft to the G-League. It's just not going to happen.
That's true. However, if they are unable to find them consistent minutes, I think it would be the wrong decision.

Harry has special talent. The way he goes both ways in the post to set guys up and can then stretch it out to 3 is pretty nice. That with his defensive energy has me pretty amazed with the type of player he can become. It's all summer league so it doesn't mean a ton, but those skills are there. Wishing him all the good health and good luck possible and I'm pretty excited to see how he progresses.

Oh and I LOVE his energy out there. It's fun to watch guys who really love to play the game.

Giles will be our best player soon he’s already dribbling and driving from top of the key like he did in HS. His quickness will be too much for most bigs cause it looks like he’ll have a pull up game they’ll have to worry about. Now add in his flying hooks and turnaround jumpers and pick and roll play he’ll be at 20ppg.

Oh and his defense will be top notch and that KG intensity already got a technical. And not the complaining one

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Giles will be our best player soon he’s already dribbling and driving from top of the key like he did in HS. His quickness will be too much for most bigs cause it looks like he’ll have a pull up game they’ll have to worry about. Now add in his flying hooks and turnaround jumpers and pick and roll play he’ll be at 20ppg.

Oh and his defense will be top notch and that KG intensity already got a technical. And not the complaining one
to me its down to either Fox or Giles among who will be the best Kings player down the road

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Hearing Vince Carter speak so glowingly about him was music to my ears. Then hearing Garrett Temple talk about what he and Vlade watched from Giles during scrimmages last season? The icing on the cake!!

Giles pretty quickly is taking up the mantle of team leader. I've just been really impressed how he handles himself on and off the court. Getting all the interviews, handling himself super well, showing he's healthy, showing his love for Sac, saying all the right things, going to bat for the Kings players, leaving it out there on the court. Don't know if he's going to be our best player down the road in 3 years, but he certainly might be our most important one.

Hes just an easy dude to root for.

I love his optimism and perseverance despite all the misfortune he has faced over the last cuple of years.
He didnt cry or whine about it when he got hurt, he just did what he had to do to get where he is now. And his faith and hard work is shining through on the court.

On a underdog team like the Kings, that faces constant misfortune, this is the type of player you want to lead you into battle.

We're all rooting for you Harry, show us what you got kid.