Harry Giles article: By, Harry Giles

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Destined is overstating it. IF Giles can stay healthy, he has flashed a lot if potential and skill. If he recaptures his athleticism then he could be something in the NBA.

And while ACL injuries are more serious than herniated discs, I have to say that Giles always jumps off the screen more (to me anyway) in his HS footage than Michael Porter Jr ever has.
Yeah, that shake and bake cross over over halfway through almost looked Jamal Crawfordesque. Very impressive move. He also shows impressive post instincts off body contact. Something you can't teach..

http://khtk.com/jeff-capel-joins-lo-622/

Interview with former Duke assistant coach Jeff Capel from last week. The majority of the interview is about Bagley but if you just want to hear about Giles you can skip to the 5:20 mark.

He said Giles was one of the best high school players he's ever seen and that he's an elite rebounder as well as a solid ball handler and playmaker. Said that the Giles you saw at Duke wasn't the real Giles but after talking to Giles himself and some of the Kings staff, it seems like Giles is finally right and looking like his old self again.

The legend continues.

http://khtk.com/jeff-capel-joins-lo-622/

Interview with former Duke assistant coach Jeff Capel from last week. The majority of the interview is about Bagley but if you just want to hear about Giles you can skip to the 5:20 mark.

He said Giles was one of the best high school players he's ever seen and that he's an elite rebounder as well as a solid ball handler and playmaker. Said that the Giles you saw at Duke wasn't the real Giles but after talking to Giles himself and some of the Kings staff, it seems like Giles is finally right and looking like his old self again.

The legend continues.

this is what used to strike me about his EARLY HS footage, like back when he was a freshman. Let me see if I can find the mix....

Here it is!!! this is 5 years old. look at the "ball skills". this will always be my favorite Harry Giles mix btw.

Last edited:
this is what used to strike me about his EARLY HS footage, like back when he was a freshman. Let me see if I can find the mix....

Here it is!!! this is 5 years old. look at the "ball skills". this will always be my favorite Harry Giles mix btw.
I'm very skeptical about his ball skills because it didn't show up in the major games against better competition. Look at the u-19 games.

I'm very skeptical about his ball skills because it didn't show up in the major games against better competition. Look at the u-19 games.
He actually looks very similar to Marvin Bagley here. Averaged a double double and was by far the best rebounder in U19 that year.

https://www.si.com/college-basketba...ld-championship-usa-jalen-brunson-harry-giles

Excerpt on Giles:

Harry Giles could be a college star now, but we'll have to wait another year

One NBA scout called Giles, a 6'10" high-school senior out of Winston-Salem, N.C., the "most exciting young prospect in this tournament," and I think nearly all scouts and media present were in agreement. Giles has to be considered the frontrunner to become the No. 1 pick in the 2017 NBA Draft. His offense is still progressing—he's refining his jump shot and needs to develop an arsenal of post moves—but he has an otherworldly combination of athleticism (especially with his quick second jump), versatile playmaking skills and motor.

Giles was third in the tournament in points per 40 minutes (26.4), second in offensive board percentage (17.1%) and first defensive rebounding percentage (28.7%). He was a defensive game-changer, protecting the rim, dominating the glass, switching onto guards against Euro ballscreen-heavy offenses, and challenging shots on the perimeter. That Giles did this against 18- and 19-year-olds at just 17, Miller said, "is just astonishing."

That Giles was by far the most athletic big man in the tournament, despite having torn his ACL, MCL and meniscus in his left knee in FIBA competition in the summer of 2013, and only stopped playing in a knee brace three months ago, was even more astonishing.

I watched those U19 games live, that was a GREAT ATMOSPHERE remember Ivica Zubac played very well against Giles in one. I remember Jayson Tatum getting stuffed to smithereens vs that croatia team too...

He's got the skill just at that height and in those levels of competition they dont let bigs like giles and marvin show off their full repertoire, both are best suited for an NBA style of play

Am I the only one here that is more excited about seeing Giles play compared to Bagley? Don't get me wrong I'm excited for both players but Bagley seems like a more for sure player to produce since he's been playing competitive basketball compared to Giles not having stepped foot onto a real basketball court in almost 2 years....

Am I the only one here that is more excited about seeing Giles play compared to Bagley? Don't get me wrong I'm excited for both players but Bagley seems like a more for sure player to produce since he's been playing competitive basketball compared to Giles not having stepped foot onto a real basketball court in almost 2 years....
I'd say the majority are for that reason alone.

I think Harry is going to be the alpha of this team
If he turns into a good player, I can kind of tell by his personality that he's going to be one of those guys that the fans of other teams hate. Kind of in the Draymond Green mold. He seems like he likes to be loud, yell and talk a lot. It'll be such a stark contrast from all the nice guys on this team.

You can see that Bagley has some of that in him as well and should follow suit.

WCS can stick to doling out post game hand shakes and praises to his opponents that out worked and out hustled him.