Harrison Barnes Likely to Receive $88 mill over 4 Years

Entity

Hall of Famer
IMO, Barnes is a 15-18M per year player. I don’t like seeing them offer this much. Especially with core players to extend soon.

Not sure whether they should do it or not. It’s a conundrum.
as i stated in Horford thread. in 4 years the cap is liable to be around 130 mil. Barnes will be less than 20% of that. we will have no trouble extending anybody at all. you could go 20 mil a year on all 5 starters and still be 30 mil under the cap.

as i stated in Horford thread. in 4 years the cap is liable to be around 130 mil. Barnes will be less than 20% of that. we will have no trouble extending anybody at all. you could go 20 mil a year on all 5 starters and still be 30 mil under the cap.
Gotcha. I still don’t believe Barnes is a 20-23M per player. And this coming from a Tar Heels and Kings fan.

$22 Million a year for Barnes is too much.........especially if they sign Al Horford to $25+ Million a year. Going forward Barnes is going to be the 4th option and you just don't pay that much for 4th options.

Buddy, Bagley, Fox, and Giles will all be eligible for extensions in the next 2-3 years. In the near future all of these core guys are going to be in for big paydays.

Will the Kings be able to afford all of them if they already have Barnes and Horford locked up in huge 4 year deals?

Personally I am going to be irate if they let Giles walk in 2-3 years because they are being weighed down by the contracts of Barnes/Horford.

Just because you have a lot of cap room doesn't mean you need to spend all or most of it. When you have multiple talented young players you always have to account for them blossoming and getting max extensions.

Entity

Hall of Famer
Gotcha. I still don’t believe Barnes is a 20-23M per player. And this coming from a Tar Heels and Kings fan.
at this point we are not only paying for talent we are paying for security. 20 mil a year for a 15ppg and 6reb that can hit a 3 and play defense for 4 years and you don't have to worry about it for 4 years. Thats security and now you continue to develop the young talent you have and go for other position needs and hope you can lock up that type of security for that position as well even if its 2-4 mil more a year than what their past suggest.

$22 Million a year for Barnes is too much.........especially if they sign Al Horford to $25+ Million a year. Going forward Barnes is going to be the 4th option and you just don't pay that much for 4th options.

Buddy, Bagley, Fox, and Giles will all be eligible for extensions in the next 2-3 years. In the near future all of these core guys are going to be in for big paydays.

Will the Kings be able to afford all of them if they already have Barnes and Horford locked up in huge 4 year deals?

Personally I am going to be irate if they let Giles walk in 2-3 years because they are being weighed down by the contracts of Barnes/Horford.

Just because you have a lot of cap room doesn't mean you need to spend all or most of it
. When you have multiple talented young players you always have to account for them blossoming and getting max extensions.
Actually, when you have young players coming up over the course of the next few years and you are trying to also win now while putting talent around them without it costing you assets directly this is exactly what you do. Effectively this is the last year Vlade has money to play with.

Entity

Hall of Famer

Just because you have a lot of cap room doesn't mean you need to spend all or most of it. When you have multiple talented young players you always have to account for them blossoming and getting max extensions.
Draymond Green is 4th option or 5th and is about to get 25 mil a year.

If it's true that Sac has that much left over if they waive all their cap holds, then the reality of ending up with one of Vuc or Horford and maybe landing Pat Bev on top of it become more plausible. I don't care what the individual breakdowns are financially because the end result is possibly only time and a correct scheme away from being a contender.

I wish we could go back in a time machine and look at some of the blogger and expert ideas on what the Kings should offer for a guy like Barnes. It was a lot, including first round picks... I remember posting a pic of an ESPN note about it.

Now that we got him (for almost nothing), nobody wants to pay him $22M? By the end of this FA period - certainly this time next year - $22M will look like chump change.

Why do people want to nibble on the corners so much and begrudge this guy or that guy $1M or $2M per year? And why is it sometimes the same guys who will laugh and mock the Kings if they sell a second rounder for $1-$2M?

When the Kings can't re-sign their own guy because of cap concerns, you can throw this thread in my face. But I just don't see the worry if the Kings for once in their life spend their freaking whole payroll budget.

I wish we could go back in a time machine and look at some of the blogger and expert ideas on what the Kings should offer for a guy like Barnes. It was a lot, including first round picks... I remember posting a pic of an ESPN note about it.

Now that we got him (for almost nothing), nobody wants to pay him $22M? By the end of this FA period - certainly this time next year - $22M will look like chump change.

Why do people want to nibble on the corners so much and begrudge this guy or that guy $1M or $2M per year? And why is it sometimes the same guys who will laugh and mock the Kings if they sell a second rounder for $1-$2M?

When the Kings can't re-sign their own guy because of cap concerns, you can throw this thread in my face. But I just don't see the worry if the Kings for once in their life spend their freaking whole payroll budget.
If it is the $90m then the contract starts at $20m. That the number most of us here said it would take to keep him. It not a huge contract in the scheme of things.

It would be smart to front load any contracts we sign this summer so that as our main guys start their extensions, these contracts are have less impact on the cap.
Agreed, although I'm not sure about the breakdowns of doing it. Unless it negates the opportunity to sign that 3rd guy, this is how Vlade can put even more pressure on teams to just walk away. And as you said, it also helps down the line.

That's an overpayment of at least $18MM imo in total.....he should get $15-17MM/ year.....they didnt learn from Hill not to overpay an average player looks like. Why overpay for 1 when you can overpay for 4....!

Last edited:
That's an overpayment of at least $18MM imo in tiotal.....he should get $15-17MM/ year.....they didnt learn from Hill not to overpay an average player looks like. Why overpay for 1 when you can overpay for 4....!
Combo G's and true combo F's are a totally different beast.

That's because he isn't - plain and simple. He's a good role player.....he does have the right attitude. Cauley-Stein can learn. Just too much for a B-level player.. Now it could be he comes out proves us wrong - I hope he does.

at this point we are not only paying for talent we are paying for security. 20 mil a year for a 15ppg and 6reb that can hit a 3 and play defense for 4 years and you don't have to worry about it for 4 years. Thats security and now you continue to develop the young talent you have and go for other position needs and hope you can lock up that type of security for that position as well even if its 2-4 mil more a year than what their past suggest.
That sounds complacent.

I hope you're wrong about Horford at that salary range....he is 33 yro. He's a good player but that may be even worse than the Barnes deal at that age. At least Barnes is 27.

This is always the challenge with signing guys in their prime. Unless they are superstars you almost always end up overpaying. If he was 31 and offered the same production for the next 3-4 years he would probably get about 60-70 million. Having said that, he is talented, fits the culture and locks down an important position for the foreseeable future. And who knows, maybe he will really settle in as a super role player who hits 3s at a good clip and improves team defense.

i based my statement from you basing worth on what option they are on offense.
Still not a valid comparison. Draymond creates offense for others and the Warriors often run the offense through Draymond. Defensively it's not even close.

Draymond has a much greater effect on winning than Barnes.

sounds intelligent. Leonard wasn't coming here. Harris wasn't coming here. Oubre will get close to same contract and he wasn't coming here. Also what makes you the hierarchy of a players worth in the NBA?
Then you you start your 2nd rounder and hope he does well........while playing hard ball with contacts. You don't overpay for "security", you overpay for talent. And who knows with the other players - your not in on the negotiations; to claim otherwise is conjecture.. Yes its my opinion; you can disagree if you like..