Harrison Barnes; Any Questions?

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Or people could just leave the platform and stop posting links from it LOL
I dropped it a while back for Threads and there is a lively NBAThreads community if that's what you want. Unfortunately, there are still some sources that only post on the bird site or post more content there, but I think that is changing with time. Also, this forum doesn't have native Threads posting capabilities, which is a bummer.

I guess the question about Harrison Barnes is what will the Kings get game-to-game? There is such a wide variance in his offensive production that one can only guess about the next game.

Defense seems to be mostly the same.

If Coach Brown is a major factor in which Barnes we see then that raises other questions.

I have been a big fan of his since before he played with the Kings.
I have always thought he was under rated. His biggest play last night 1/25 was blocking Kuminga's shot in the last minute.
I guess this now seems obvious: he can do so much more, especially offensively. The Kings have often used him to defend the toughest perimeter player while emphasizing Keegan's offense. They should sometimes switch that. Keegan is clearly the more effective defender, especially one-on-one, while HB remains the more versatile offensive player - and much better facilitator.

I guess this now seems obvious: he can do so much more, especially offensively. The Kings have often used him to defend the toughest perimeter player while emphasizing Keegan's offense. They should sometimes switch that. Keegan is clearly the more effective defender, especially one-on-one, while HB remains the more versatile offensive player - and much better facilitator.
Barnes' best NBA skill is scoring in a variety of ways. So to allow him to be "frozen" out of the offense, is wasting his value as a player

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Am I posting them the wrong way
Yes. You need to replace "x.com" with "twitter.com" or it will not embed.
Basically, when you post anything from x.com, just manually change the "x" to "twitter". Otherwise it just shows up as a link. And nobody really wants to click on a link to go to X any more if they don't have to. :)

It is a limitation of the board software at this point, so we can't make that change ourselves.

Barnes' best NBA skill is scoring in a variety of ways. So to allow him to be "frozen" out of the offense, is wasting his value as a player
Exactly. I imagine this is why we both keep harping on this. It's so obvious that it's just weird that Brown has been willing NOT to play to HB's strengths while giving him 30 mpg. Some folks have suggested that HB is stepping up now so he's not traded. Are they joking? Half-joking? I dunno. But I guarantee it's not that.

The Kings went 2-5 in the 7 games before Atlanta. HB's minutes were down, he avg'd 6.3 ppg, and maxed out at 9 shots. It wasn't working. They decided to try something different and he responded well.

Any questions? Yes I have a question... can he do this more on a consistent basis? Highly doubt he'll be able to keep this up, but if he can be a consistent 15 points per game type guy is all we ask and no more of those 2pt 1rb games please.

Any questions? Yes I have a question... can he do this more on a consistent basis? Highly doubt he'll be able to keep this up, but if he can be a consistent 15 points per game type guy is all we ask and no more of those 2pt 1rb games please.
If HB can keep this up and average 15 ppg, I don't think the Kings trade him. He would be a legit #3 or #4 on a playoff team

Considering that Coach Brown has said repeatedly that he does NOT call plays for HB and Huerter, maybe it’s the coach’s play calling is the issue. Brown needs to utilize and call plays for all 5 players on the court at all times, instead of just his stars (Fox, Sabonis and Keegan).

By getting all 5 players on the court involved early, he would boost everyone’s production and make the Kings offense less predicable and defensible.

Last edited:
Considering that Coach Brown has said repeatedly that he does NOT call plays for HB and Huerter, maybe it’s the coach’s play calling is the issue. Brown needs to utilize and call plays for all 5 players on the court at all times, instead of just his stars (Fox, Sabonis and Keegan).

By getting all 5 players on the court involved early, he would boost everyone’s production and make the Kings offense less predicable and defensible.
I think Brown is a very, very good coach. But he seems to have pretty fixed limits in his ability. For example, Jordy clearly outcoached him after he got himself kicked out that one game (ironically actually a good move). But brown is not good calling plays out of timeouts, and he's not good managing end of game situations. And while our offense may be "free flowing"... it's not actually dynamic - in the true sense of the word.

I think the good news is he's starting to. Brown gives Domas and Fox a lot of leeway. I think a lot of the playcalling he's making is literally, "Hey Domas, get Harrison involved." haha.

One big fear I have is that HB is such a great locker room / glue guy, that if we ever traded him mid-season, it may be hard to recover chemistry and mentally wise mid-season. Much like the time when the Kings traded glue guy Iman Shumpert and went into the tank mid-season.

I think if HB is producing like he has the last couple of games, he’s the perfect fit as the #4 guy for this team.

Last edited:
Watching this game I felt HB's presence, the veteran presence gives that calming effect when the game is about to slip away and everybody has that look of a deer in headlights. Perhaps a veteran presence is not to be ignored or overlooked; Big Nasty (in late his career), Ime Udoke comes to mind.
If it's not too much to ask HB not to play the hide and seek game reminder of the season.

Last edited:

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I'm happy Barnes is shooting very well because it elevates his trade value. My opinion of him on the Kings hasn't changed for two years - he's not a great fit for a team that needs more physicality and defense. He could be an excellent player for a team already defensively strong and needing points off the bench. Hopefully, Monte dangles him and a big fish to bite.

Barnes was among candidates to be named player of the week in the Western Conference but since Booker and Doncic had some huge numbers that didn't happen. Still that was the second time this season a Kings player not named Fox or Sabonis was among the candidates for this "title". Fox was named twice (being the first player to do so in the league), Sabonis was candidate several times, and Murray was candidate once (after his 12 three pointer match).

One big fear I have is that HB is such a great locker room / glue guy, that if we ever traded him mid-season, it may be hard to recover chemistry and mentally wise mid-season. Much like the time when the Kings traded glue guy Iman Shumpert and went into the tank mid-season.

I think if HB is producing like he has the last couple of games, he’s the perfect fit as the #4 guy for this team.
That Shumpert trade was a killer... and totally unnecessary. I knew exactly what would happen when it went down. I hate being such a great prognosticangolio sometimes.