[Grades] Grades vs. Suns, 10/27/21

When did you most think the Kings were going to lose the game?

• Total voters

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude

A win = grades. Thems the (arbitrary) rules.

Richaun Holmes (B-) - 29 minutes, 12 points, 12 rebounds, 3 assists, 1 blocks, 0 steals, 0 turnovers
Another solid night by Richaun, who didn't get in foul trouble tonight but did get absolutely destroyed by Deandre Ayton on the glass in the first half. Made his typical hustle plays but did not contribute too much on offense as Ayton made life very difficult for him on that end as well. Had a nice bounce pass and a couple of great hustle plays on defense in the second half and then had to sit until there was barely anytime in the fourth quarter because Luke Walton still doesn't know how to have a functional rotation.

Maurice Harkless (C) - 25 minutes, 2 points, 3 rebounds, 1 assists, 1 block, 0 steals, 1 turnovers
Moe had a ho-hum stat line but was very solid in that way you'd like your defensive role-player guys to be. In the first half, we tried to run the ball through him a couple times (it didn't work) but in the second half, he played hard on defense and generally stayed out of the way on offense well enough for the Kings to take the lead. Didn't see much time in the fourth quarter as Luke went to the three guard lineup and rode the Black Falcon train to victory.

Harrison Barnes (A) - 39 minutes, 22 points, 9 rebounds, 4 assists, 0 blocks, 0 steals, 1 turnovers
Yet another stellar night from the man who has not only been the Kings best player thus far this season but one of the best players in the league to start the year. Obviously, the game winner was amazing but the man played solid defense all night, and played within himself as he always does. His three point shot wasn't falling to start the game (he was obviously saving that for later) but he made a series of nifty post moves and drives (he's gotten so good at slowing down to the point that he just scores around over-eager defenders every play) to help the Kings stay in the game in the first and eventually build a lead in the second half. In crunch time, he had two drives, one that ended in a successful basket and another that ended with him missing after a great defensive stand by the Suns. Yes, we're running plays for Harrison Barnes in crunch time like he's Lebron and it's freaking working. That's Harrison Barnes's season thus far in a nutshell.

Tyrese Haliburton (B-) - 35 minutes, 15 points, 2 rebounds, 3 assists, 1 blocks, 2 steals, 1 turnovers
Tyrese had another quiet start to the game, not because he wasn't getting the ball enough but rather because the Kings were giving him the ball too much and in places he couldn't really do anything with it. At this point in his career, Tyrese is an elite catch-and-shoot player and great downhill creator. In the second half we saw more of that as he had two huge threes and contributed with generally smart basketball. His play on defense was more of a mixed bag. Tyrese has been an absolute turnstile in man-to-man defense, his thin physique unable to really slow down most of the wings/big guards he gets asked to defend. As a backend or transition defender, though, his basketball IQ allows him to make disruptive plays and timing maneuvers to the tune of two steals and a block. Left Crowder wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide open on the game tying three as he shaded too far inside to get back out to his man in time to affect the shot.

De'Aaron Fox (C) - 37 minutes, 18 points, 2 rebounds, 9 assists, 0 block, 1 steals, 2 turnovers
This is a tough one to grade. Contrary to public opinion on this forum, I didn't think Fox had that awful of a game. His shot wasn't falling but it wasn't falling to start last year either and when it does, the rest will come later (also having to play three really stout defensive teams in a row doesn't help). Had nine assists and only two turnovers as his game really took off in the third quarter. Went cold again throughout the fourth but was still able to find teammates for scores (his pass to Barnes for the game winner apparently didn't count as an assist for some reason) and the defense did tighten up after an abysmal first half. It wasn't pretty but if we're asking for De'Aaron to be a net positive while he figures things out, this wasn't half bad.

---
Buddy Hield (D in the first half, A+ in the second) - 27 minutes, 26 points, 5 rebounds, 1 assists, 2 blocks, 2 steals, 4 turnovers
Buddy had such a bipolar game that I felt it only fair to grade him by half. In the first half, things were decidedly not great as Luke Walton randomly decided to run the entire second unit offense through him and his shot wasn't falling. To his credit, tonight was one of the nights where he randomly played solid defense and he was probably our best perimeter defender in the first half.

In the second half, Buddy went absolutely nuclear, hitting pretty much any random shot he felt like throwing up there and essentially singlehandedly building a double-digit lead. With his shot falling, Buddy was able to have some nice drives to the hoop as desperate defenders over hedged to, I dunno, block his threes or something. He was also much more careful with the ball, though most of that had to do with him turning into an off-the-ball catch and shoot machine in the third quarter. In crunch time, didn't shoot the ball as the Suns went all out to prevent another Buddy explosion but he did play incredible D on Devin Booker in the Suns final possession because, in the words of one Chavano Buddy Hield, "It be like that sometimes."

Also the fact he did this on the night the Lakers looked absolutely out of their depths is hilarious to me.

Alex Len (B) - 18 minutes, 10 points, 3 rebounds, 1 assists, 1 blocks, 1 steals, 2 turnovers
We've found our stretch five! After years of trying to play Bagley at the five and paying Dwayne Dedmon way too much money to suck for half a year, Alex Len finally proved himself to be a big man who could do big man stuff while also stretching the floor for our interior guys. The only reason he's stuck at B is his general lack of rebounding, though some of that came from him boxing out Ayton to allow our guards to clean up the boards instead of him. Maybe he's completely supplanted Tristan Thompson as our back up big?

Davion Mitchell (C) - 19 minutes, 5 points, 3 rebounds, 4 assists, 0 blocks, 0 steals, 0 turnovers
Aside from randomly snapping Landry Shamet's ankles at one point, this was possibly the least impressive game Davion's had since being drafted. He wasn't bad by any means but spent a lot of the first half getting toasted by Elfrid Payton for some reason. He didn't have his shot again tonight but did nail a three to get some breathing room and played his typically great defense on Chris Paul in the intervening moments before the Suns made their big run. Maybe I'm just starting to get used to how good his defense is though.

Terence Davis (F) - 11 minutes, 0 points, 1 rebounds, 2 assists, 0 blocks, 1 steals, 0 turnovers
The less said about TD's night the better.

Last edited:
Well, since they didn't tank last year and didn't go with the rebuilding strategy I would have preferred, Barnes and Buddy have a lot of value if you're doing it this way. Even if Buddy is every bit the bonehead as always, his shooting is just too explosive.

I'd still trade Bagley for Jalen Smith though.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Well, since they didn't tank last year and didn't go with the rebuilding strategy I would have preferred, Barnes and Buddy have a lot of value if you're doing it this way. Even if Buddy is every bit the bonehead as always, his shooting is just too explosive.

I'd still trade Bagley for Jalen Smith though.
I'd like Monte to at least try to pry away Bamba from Orlando before trying that trade. Orlando tends to give away all its young players and just restart the process again.

I'd like Monte to at least try to pry away Bamba from Orlando before trying that trade. Orlando tends to give away all its young players and just restart the process again.
We missed the Bamba window too. He's crushing as the starter, looks really damn good as a rim protecter and he's nailing 3's. Just another guy to pop in that 2018 draft...

sigh

I wanted to try that in the offseason, too late for that now, probably. Bamba's value after his start to the season makes him have higher value probably. If there was ever a guy who the Bag Holders think Marvin is in terms to getting shafted by minutes and role, it's Bamba.

I also wanted to try a Bagley-Miles Bridges swap before last year when it appeared Bridges fell down the Charlotte rotation, but LOL! Good luck with that now.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I still like Davis. At least tries on D which is more than a few of our other more highly regarded guards, and the shot will start falling. He was good last season, good in the preseason, he didn’t just completely forget how to shoot.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I wanted to try that in the offseason, too late for that now, probably. Bamba's value after his start to the season makes him have higher value probably. If there was ever a guy who the Bag Holders think Marvin is in terms to getting shafted by minutes and role, it's Bamba.

I also wanted to try a Bagley-Miles Bridges swap before last year when it appeared Bridges fell down the Charlotte rotation, but LOL! Good luck with that now.
Miles showed much more promise than Bamba or Bagley so I don't think he would of been a viable option. Bamba I think may still be attainable but you're right, with his start to this season that may no longer be as easy especially since Marvin can't even see NBA minutes in any form.

Miles showed much more promise than Bamba or Bagley so I don't think he would of been a viable option. Bamba I think may still be attainable but you're right, with his start to this season that may no longer be as easy especially since Marvin can't even see NBA minutes in any form.
Miles Bridges was one of my favorite under-the-radar targets back when I thought we were going to offload veterans last year.

So, I would've tried to sweeten the pot, maybe even with Holmes or Buddy.

Miles Bridges was one of my favorite under-the-radar targets back when I thought we were going to offload veterans last year.

So, I would've tried to sweeten the pot, maybe even with Holmes or Buddy.
I think the guy to go try and get is PJ, especially with Bridges starting to ball out and if he continues to have a strong year, is gonna get a 20+ mil extension. PJ can small-ball 5, but he's much better at the 4, exactly the spot where Bridges is breaking out in a big way.

I still like Davis. At least tries on D which is more than a few of our other more highly regarded guards, and the shot will start falling. He was good last season, good in the preseason, he didn’t just completely forget how to shoot.
My problem with Davis is his shot selection. It’s ridiculously bad more often than not, IMO, but I’m willing to give ‘em a shot.

We missed the Bamba window too. He's crushing as the starter, looks really damn good as a rim protecter and he's nailing 3's. Just another guy to pop in that 2018 draft...

sigh
Don't worry, time will show that we nailed the 2018 draft, but only after Bagley goes to another team and becomes a HOFer

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Fox was terrible. I'd give him a D. And based on expectations and what we've seen in prior years, an F. Looked like a total scrub out there. His grade for this game should have absolutely nothing to do with his slow start last year. If we had the "old good Fox" the Kings could in fact be 4-0. As others have said, he doesn't look like he's right - either not confident in his game, not feeling good emotionally, not feeling good physically - something is amiss. By the way, his slow start last year was also..... bad. What concerns me is, what if his muscled up frame is really behind his crappy performance? Can you de-muscle your frame to regain the lost speed, quickness and fluidity? Or once a Schwarzenegger, always a Schwarzenegger?

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Buddy consistently deserves a D. D for dumb. Please, God, let there be a fool GM out there who actually is willing to give this team back something valuable in a trade for him.

Fox was terrible. I'd give him a D. And based on expectations and what we've seen in prior years, an F. Looked like a total scrub out there. His grade for this game should have absolutely nothing to do with his slow start last year. If we had the "old good Fox" the Kings could in fact be 4-0. As others have said, he doesn't look like he's right - either not confident in his game, not feeling good emotionally, not feeling good physically - something is amiss. By the way, his slow start last year was also..... bad. What concerns me is, what if his muscled up frame is really behind his crappy performance? Can you de-muscle your frame to regain the lost speed, quickness and fluidity? Or once a Schwarzenegger, always a Schwarzenegger?
People can always change their physique at least to a certain extent. It all depends on how you work out and what your ultimate goal is. He will most likely lose a decent part of his newfound muscle as the season is long and he won’t be able to work out super hard all the time and play super hard as well… the schedule is just too brutal and you risk injury at that point.

Buddy consistently deserves a D. D for dumb. Please, God, let there be a fool GM out there who actually is willing to give this team back something valuable in a trade for him.
His stupid unforced turnovers are a pain to watch but he's actually been one of the best players this year.

I don't know why Walton doesn't realize that catch and shoot Buddy is the best version of Buddy. It's how Joerger used him and he had a career year. It's exactly how he played in the first game against Portland and he scored 17pts on just 9 shots with zero turnovers.

There's no reason to have him running the offense when there are better options on the team. He should just be shooting open 3s and rebounding, which are the two things he's best at. Why even give him the opportunity to make a stupid pass when it's not even necessary half the time? That year under Joerger, he logged more miles than any other player in the league. He was all over the place and he was constantly getting high percentage shots. Never showed signs of wearing down either. I don't know why Walton decided to reinvent the wheel when he got here. He inherited an efficient 20ppg scorer who didn't need the ball in his hands all the time and turned him into a less efficient 18ppg scorer so he could try and squeeze an extra .5-1ast per game out of him.

His stupid unforced turnovers are a pain to watch but he's actually been one of the best players this year.

I don't know why Walton doesn't realize that catch and shoot Buddy is the best version of Buddy. It's how Joerger used him and he had a career year. It's exactly how he played in the first game against Portland and he scored 17pts on just 9 shots with zero turnovers.

There's no reason to have him running the offense when there are better options on the team. He should just be shooting open 3s and rebounding, which are the two things he's best at. Why even give him the opportunity to make a stupid pass when it's not even necessary half the time? That year under Joerger, he logged more miles than any other player in the league. He was all over the place and he was constantly getting high percentage shots. Never showed signs of wearing down either. I don't know why Walton decided to reinvent the wheel when he got here. He inherited an efficient 20ppg scorer who didn't need the ball in his hands all the time and turned him into a less efficient 18ppg scorer so he could try and squeeze an extra .5-1ast per game out of him.
There's a reason Klay Thompson has like 10 dribbles a game. Kerr realizes he's not a good ball-handler/creator, but he's one of the best players in the world (if not the best) with off-ball movement and C&S situations. So he schemed the offense around that.

Buddy honestly could be really damn close, but he doesn't get enough schemed touches in that way. That should be 90% of his offense.

There's a reason Klay Thompson has like 10 dribbles a game. Kerr realizes he's not a good ball-handler/creator, but he's one of the best players in the world (if not the best) with off-ball movement and C&S situations. So he schemed the offense around that.

Buddy honestly could be really damn close, but he doesn't get enough schemed touches in that way. That should be 90% of his offense.
There are a couple other problems with him being strictly a c&s player. First, Buddy doesn't view himself as such. Secondly, he still hadn't really learned how to use a pick properly. At least once or twice a game we get a moving pick foul called agaist our bigs because Buddy starts going too soon. You would think he would've figured it out by now.

I would add Buddy in 1v 1 individual D situations where he can be locked in on one guy isn’t horrible either. Buddy and Marvin both struggle at read and react.

There are a couple other problems with him being strictly a c&s player. First, Buddy doesn't view himself as such. Secondly, he still hadn't really learned how to use a pick properly. At least once or twice a game we get a moving pick foul called agaist our bigs because Buddy starts going too soon. You would think he would've figured it out by now.
For what it's worth, Buddy in his recent postgame said himself that the team isn't helped by him dribbling the ball more, and what it needs him to do is to pass and chase for the shot.

I can’t fault Buddy for dribbling too much. That needs to be corrected by the coach and the staff. They allow those situations to happen time and again. I blame them. Buddy, when used appropriately, can be an absolutely lethal weapon off the bench and he can swing games in our favor single-handedly at times. We need to put him in situations that are favorable for him and for us. Yes, he makes dumb decisions at times and yes his defense isn’t great, but we aren’t paying him superstar money either. He’s one of the top shooters in the league, people need to chill out a bit. A lot of the mistakes he makes are correctable, blame the coaches for not correcting him. He has developed some bad habits, but he’s also a hard working guy who would do what’s asked of him. Him and Mitchell are a great pairing off the bench together.