[Grades] Grades v. Warriors 2/4/2017

Does it mean anything?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat

Link to Boxscore

Afflalo ( C ) -- okay, this is a real hard grade. Here is Afflalo's statline: 36min 0-3FG 2pts 2reb 1ast. I mean...!!! And yet somehow he felt solid. He really worked on defense, it didn't feel like he was being taken advantage of, Klay and Durant combined for 12-35 shooting. There are no numbers to support this grade, but it felt like he was a part of this win rather than a detriment.

Cousins ( A- ) -- and another tough grade. This was winning how you are supposed to win with a great center. Strangle the other team, beat them up, slam your big man into their middle and uglify the game. But there was some real ugly. Almost a second straight triple double, flat muscle work inside down the stretch, big defensive plays, but also 7 TOs, 0-5 from three, a badly timed tech, a fumbled board in the final seconds that could have led to a loss... A-?

Koufos ( B- ) -- yet another game where small ball tactics (and the Warriors nearly complete lack of bigs) meant very few minutes for Koufos. But he did his work on the boards, defended the rim nicely, and even flipped the script and added a nice little interior assist to Cousins.

McLemore ( B- ) -- there's a bit of the McLemore scale in play here again, but there is also a bit of not, as Ben wasn't very Ben like. His numbers were modest, you rarely noticed him, but that's precisely the thing. Like Afflalo, he hustled on D and didn't hurt us, and we got away with starting Arron Afflalo and Ben McLemore vs. Klay and Durant and just hustled and scrapped.

Collison ( B+ ) --I think on this you almost have to ignore Steph going on because...Steph. You also have to begin to ignore DC not getting any assists because its pretty clear Cuz is our PG now, and DC is just a small scorer. And so you judge him as a small scorer, and he hit important shots and gave us outside presence Lawson could not. + some big attempts at hustle too.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Tolliver ( A- ) -- and see? Anthony clearly heard me insult him yesterday, and vowed to do better. And he roleplayered it up in a big way, hitting all his threes this time, and really playing defense at a high level for him, including maybe intimidating Curry into missing the huge go ahead layup.

Barnes ( A ) -- was huge on the glass, and maybe bigger on defense, where he contributed mightily to Durant's miserable night and harassed him all over court. Our huge bench advantage is where we won this one.

Lawson ( C ) -- normally the leader of the bench crew, but just seemed off. made some uncommon turnovers and had trouble with Steph. Got himself benched late in the game by repeatedly refusing to shoot the ball on open kicks and swings, often ending up settling for a worse shot or throwing it to Boogie to have to beat the clock with a tough contested look.

Richardson ( INC ) -- did pretty well really in his first half stint guarding Klay Thompson. Hit his only shot, and aside from one rookie mistake, was very fundamentally solid on Klay.

Cauley Stein ( A- ) -- is beginning to contribute every night now. Really aggressive on offense, including uncorking an impressive spin move borrowed from Cuz's arsenal. Got to see some of that ability to guard perimeter people as Golden State got him in switches, and it didn't go the way they planned. Not enough muscle on the glass though, and finishes got too soft late as the game got physical.

Last edited:

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
kind of reminds me of a two way road you take towards either a castle or towards the desert, in hindsight and reality, you tend to go towards the castle, where you have safe haven. However, once you arrive at the castle, you are greeted by knights waiting to execute you when all along, you should of gone towards the desert with a chance of finding a way home.

We mostly suck, might turn it around since don't play any games outside of Calif until March. But then again, Kings not proved much at home to be confident in anything. Cousins so far is not leading NBA in techs. Joerger must be reading KingFans as did not smile once few minutes ago post-game presser. Coz chimed in coach not getting too
high or too low. Vlade on camera in his Petrie standing in tunnel position near end looked like might be hoping for
another narrow loss. I'm confused, don't know how to vote in poll.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
kind of reminds me of a two way road you take towards either a castle or towards the desert, in hindsight and reality, you tend to go towards the castle, where you have safe haven. However, once you arrive at the castle, you are greeted by knights waiting to execute you when all along, you should of gone towards the desert with a chance of finding a way home.
Um, what?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Matt Barnes just basically shut down a stupid reporter who sounded suspiciously like James Ham.

Question: Is there any rhyme or reason how you guys win and lose? It seems like every night you just have no idea...

Barnes (Interrupting): Next question.
Yep, definitely Ham who reworded the question slightly when he asked WCS. Willie actually answered... He'll learn.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Matt Barnes just basically shut down a stupid reporter who sounded suspiciously like James Ham.

Question: Is there any rhyme or reason how you guys win and lose? It seems like every night you just have no idea...

The same question was just asked to WCS. (Paraphrased) "I guess there was more focus tonight. We played to them. Effort fluctuates on who we're playing."

McClemore following up a good game with an ok game. I'm encouraged. McClemore is still getting chances to right his play. Barnes active. Cousins with an All-Pro type performance. I like when Cousins dribble-drives into an assist instead of forcing it (sometimes). Win took the sting out of the Suns close loss surely, and hopefully gave the team a shot of confidence. So I'm wondering if any other team has beaten both the Warrior and Cavs this regular season - a small feather in the cap.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
Great game and team win. However, their totally predictable half court offense late in game and overtime against one of the best defensive teams in NBA was tough to watch. It worked, sort of as they won, but not good practice in long run as DMC did have 7 TO's and another "T". The open shots not taken was tough also. Good team win.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
McClemore following up a good game with an ok game. I'm encouraged. McClemore is still getting chances to right his play. Barnes active. Cousins with an All-Pro type performance. I like when Cousins dribble-drives into an assist instead of forcing it (sometimes). Win took the sting out of the Suns close loss surely, and hopefully gave the team a shot of confidence. So I'm wondering if any other team has beaten both the Warrior and Cavs this regular season - a small feather in the cap.
one thing I've noticed over these last two games with McLemore, he is trying the floater a lot more rather than going straight to the basket where he usually spirals out of control and falls down or gets blocked.

James Ham is a moron who knows next to nothing about basketball yet somehow works for the team.

one thing I've noticed over these last two games with McLemore, he is trying the floater a lot more rather than going straight to the basket where he usually spirals out of control and falls down or gets blocked.
He's actually pretty skilled at manuvering his body and putting the ball in the basket. Would be nice to see him use his athleticism more often, besides open court dunks.

Whoever is working with the guys to help develop them seems to be doing a good job, something rare around these parts. How can I get one of the "insiders" to write an article on player development? I wanna know who to thank! I think it's typically assistants who do that job.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Whoever is working with the guys to help develop them seems to be doing a good job, something rare around these parts. How can I get one of the "insiders" to write an article on player development? I wanna know who to thank! I think it's typically assistants who do that job.
Need to see this for longer durations. Right now, he's out there to take the open shots and help spread the floor a bit. His defense is still next to nothing but if he can even shoot at a respectable clip, then he will be playing more until Temple returns. Malachi will get his time either later in the season or most likely next season when Ben is gone.

Great game and team win. However, their totally predictable half court offense late in game and overtime against one of the best defensive teams in NBA was tough to watch. It worked, sort of as they won, but not good practice in long run as DMC did have 7 TO's and another "T". The open shots not taken was tough also. Good team win.
Late in the game and OT they kept running the clock down under 10 seconds before they would get it into cousins. The W was great, but agree some of the possessions at the end were hard to watch.