[Grades] Grades v. Warriors 11/5/2012

Who would you have drawn up that last shot for?

• Cousins

Votes: 15 24.2%
  • Thornton

Votes: 36 58.1%
  • Brooks

Votes: 8 12.9%
  • Jimmer

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Evans --- F
He looked like a boy amongst men. I had no idea Klay Thompson was such a good defender. Oh wait, he doesn't need to defend Reke when all he does is miss jumpers and drive into a pack of opponents getting his shot blocked, turning it over or getting called for an offensive foul.. MT should be starting. It makes me sick that IT is giving the ball to Evans to run the offense. IT is supposedly a leader, he needs to lead, he shouldn't be giving the ball to Evans almost every time down the floor.
C'mon Gary, you're giving the man no credit for his terrific defense.

MT is fine off the bench. He's accepting his role and the last thing we need to do is reshuffle our starting line up. We need continuity to build chemistry. If IT keeps his downtrend then maybe we consider brooks but for now i let them play it out and figure it out.

MT is fine off the bench. He's accepting his role and the last thing we need to do is reshuffle our starting line up. We need continuity to build chemistry. If IT keeps his downtrend then maybe we consider brooks but for now i let them play it out and figure it out.
I wouldn't mind brooks starting... Doesn't matter to me one way or the other. But please just keep it consistent! Our best lineups, whatever we think it might be should have time to gel. These guys should know what the others thinking when they are closing out games!

Why, Why, WHY, does Tyreke Evans continue to fade away on his so-called new, improved jump shot? The dude is nearly 6'6" so he should rarely if ever need to fade away to avoid getting blocked. Every time I see him rise up and foolishly fade I think of Beno Udrih. Off the dribble, Beno instead of fading darted to his spot for that money mid-range pop and instead of fading away was more often slashing forward with momentum. He was rarely blocked as his quickness led him to his spot on the floor and usually easy score. Reke is never, never, NEVER going to be a great or even above average shooter until he adjusts a fundamentally flawed outside shooting technique. For me bottom line is improve or get traded - Marcus Thornton is our outside shooting insurance policy.

Don't worry i won't i post pictures... but Reke's problems last night were partly his doing ---> (the ridiculous one on one with fall away jumpers without a single pass) but it was still partly a spacing issue, the team (our team!) need to stop clogging his lanes! Add to the fact we need to use him way more in the pick and roll with Cuz which worked every time against the pacers.

They're making him an ISO player without the isolation which is just completely brain dead. But yes, a lot of the bad stuff was on him, not all though.

Why, Why, WHY, does Tyreke Evans continue to fade away on his so-called new, improved jump shot? The dude is nearly 6'6" so he should rarely if ever need to fade away to avoid getting blocked. Every time I see him rise up and foolishly fade I think of Beno Udrih. Off the dribble, Beno instead of fading darted to his spot for that money mid-range pop and instead of fading away was more often slashing forward with momentum. He was rarely blocked as his quickness led him to his spot on the floor and usually easy score. Reke is never, never, NEVER going to be a great or even above average shooter until he adjusts a fundamentally flawed outside shooting technique. For me bottom line is improve or get traded - Marcus Thornton is our outside shooting insurance policy.
It could possibly be a balance/back/hip/whatever issue that makes it unnatural for him to jump straight up. Even if he doesn't have such an issue anymore it could possibly be a lasting thing from the past - his body got used to jumping a certain way. I speak from personal experience here. For me it was and still is tightness in the hips. It makes jumping from a semi-squat position with my knees in line with my toes very hard. Set shot - no problem. Pulling up off the dribble - feels totally unbalanced. Of course I'm just speculating here ... but it just doesn't make any sense otherwise why we've never seen him shoot a perfectly straight jumpshot. Even in all the offseason practice videos his form looks better than it does in current games, but he still has a moderate backward lean when shooting.

Let's be honest, Gary. You've been criticizing Evans since the moment his name was called instead of Ricky Rubio's...

;)
:) Yep.. I still think Rubio would have been a better fit here. But yah... I did want Rubio. I am a fan of a more "traditional" offense where players have their positions and the swing players or utility players who can play multiple positions are coming off the bench. We need Evans to come off the bench for now until we figure out what he can be used for. It would help with the offensive flow of the game if he doesn't have the ball all the time when we have IT out there.

I don't know why Evans is back playing PG and we are using IT as the SG. Makes no sense. We are playing to Evans weakness, and not playing to IT's strengths.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Games like this will not keep you in the league for too long Tyreke Evans, let alone be in the all star consideration.
I know we all love to completely ignore the defensive side of the ball, but the dude was still playing lockdown defense despite his entire lack of offensive production.

I know we all love to completely ignore the defensive side of the ball, but the dude was still playing lockdown defense despite his entire lack of offensive production.
So was James Johnson but we don't see people praising his game that much either.

It was 6 against 4 with Tyreke playing for the Warriors down the stretch. Tyreke's basketball IQ is in the nano-size category. Fourth season and he is still selfish, bullheaded, can't shoot and dumber than a box of hammers. If you're still in denial about Tyreke, seek help. Oh, I feel so much better.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
This is probably the first time I'm going to give Tyreke a higher grade than Brick. He gets an A on defense; an F- on offense, so overall, I'd say a C-. I don't think Smart should even put him in the position of being the initiator of our offense at the end of games. That's just not his thing. He can either go all the way to the basket, or he can pass. There is no intermediate game at all. How in the world can a guy with those limited offensive skills thrive in end of game situations? I just don't understand the logic. Yes, sometimes he can do the dipsey-doo-alley-ooop spectacular play at the rim. But that's certainly not what I want to bank on at the end of games. Everybody in the league knows what the deal is with Tyreke now. It's not a secret anymore. It's time to stop living in fantasy-land and to permanently discontinue the experiment of him at point guard.

As far as IT is concerned, I agree that his playmaking is not what it was at the end of last year. I can only surmise that it is because of a differerent offense that he's not used to, maybe because he's trying too hard to be spectacular because of the competition from Brooks, and maybe he's deferring too much to Tyreke in ballhandling because he wants to be a good teamate or because he's getting instructions from Smart to give Tyreke the ball. I don't know what it is exactly, but I do think that this is something that Smart can resolve quickly if he pays attention. IT should be the quarterback of this team. Period. He should know that is his role. Period. He should understand he doesn't have to make the spectacular assist, just go back to do what he did last year; that's plenty good enough. In fact, that's more than good enough.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
It's kinda like the Kings are so into defense that they can't switch their brains to offense as a team. Therefore don't see evidence of the triangle or ball movement. I saw more than a dozen possessions when no King cut or transitioned along the baseline. That kills assists. That and most if not all other teams have a good jump shooter at the 2-guard spot averaging at least 12-15 a game. Tyreke and JJ are killing the offense with such poor mid-range shooting giving teams incentive to block the middle and challenging the Kings to shoot which then kills Cuz from getting to bucket without barreling into 3+ defenders.

We all see the problem. But what is a solution now? IMHO Kings need 10-15 pts outside each from the 2 and 3 spots. That would be a start. But so great to see team defense. That comes easier. Getting offense going is much more difficult.

A win. Almost died of a heart attack but good because it was a win. In a way Evans probably and his misses of medium range jumpers will be usejul. You want a person to shoot their way out of a funk. He tried repeatedly but didn't do it. What doies coach and his teammates tell him now? Don't know but his doing this in a win will be useful..

Let's stick with these rotations. We are learning. As Cousins said at the end of game, "who said we have it figured out yet". I look for steady improvement with regular lumps and bumps. I like the bunch we have now. When you don't have five complete players you do the best with what you have. With our present starters we are playing a high lever of defense. I like that better than our alternative we've had in the past. Our regulars who are sohooting a high lever of clunkers (Evams amd Johnson) will come around, shooting a little less and hitting a few more. Patience.

It's kinda like the Kings are so into defense that they can't switch their brains to offense as a team. Therefore don't see evidence of the triangle or ball movement. I saw more than a dozen possessions when no King cut or transitioned along the baseline. That kills assists. That and most if not all other teams have a good jump shooter at the 2-guard spot averaging at least 12-15 a game. Tyreke and JJ are killing the offense with such poor mid-range shooting giving teams incentive to block the middle and challenging the Kings to shoot which then kills Cuz from getting to bucket without barreling into 3+ defenders.

We all see the problem. But what is a solution now? IMHO Kings need 10-15 pts outside each from the 2 and 3 spots. That would be a start. But so great to see team defense. That comes easier. Getting offense going is much more difficult.
I think the coach was a bit too optimistic trying to install a new offense and focus on correcting defense issues in camp. The triangle takes a long time to learn. While it seems simple enough, there a many options that take time to learn and requires a certain amount of basketball IQ to run effectively. They are already using last year's offense a lot more last night.

Now matter what gets run, they need to clearly identify their primary scoring options and work on getting them the ball in spots where they are comfortable. They need to spend time getting the best scorers going first before developing guys who aren't their best offensive weapons. What I hope we won't see is the players like JJ who is a key part of their improved defense getting benched for veterans like Salmons or Garcia.

Fortunately they have a lot of home games and I think they will improve their offense significantly very soon.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Not kings related but Klay Thompson looks like he could be special.

try not to let it bother you that we drafted Jimmer #10, and the Warriors then drafted Klay #11. :p

hmm...Jimmer Fredette and John Salmons...or Beno Udrih and Klay Thompson. Hmm....let me think on that one.

Larry89

Disgruntled Kings Fan
try not to let it bother you that we drafted Jimmer #10, and the Warriors then drafted Klay #11. :p

hmm...Jimmer Fredette and John Salmons...or Beno Udrih and Klay Thompson. Hmm....let me think on that one.
Klay Thompson and Beno???? damn our offense would be so much better

It was 6 against 4 with Tyreke playing for the Warriors down the stretch. Tyreke's basketball IQ is in the nano-size category. Fourth season and he is still selfish, bullheaded, can't shoot and dumber than a box of hammers. If you're still in denial about Tyreke, seek help. Oh, I feel so much better.
I don't know if I agree with all you say but I really appreciate your saying it. Sad part is it could all be true. Meantime I'm sticking with Tyreke. Want him to play and succeed.

Say what you want about Reke's offense but come on, the man is turning into a defensive juggernaut. Focus on that, considering this team will have to hang their hat on defense because the offensive talent is below average.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
exactly. why the hell didnt we take Klay? we drafted a 3 point shooter anyway, why not draft a much more complete NBA player who also shoots 3s?
It's a great question, isn't it?

Better NBA shooter than Jimmer, more NBA ready, more of an NBA body athletically, great size for a SG who can still hang with some SF's, and was available. And as we saw with the game on the line can get a great look 1v1 which he just happened to missed yesterday. Even if we didn't use him as a SG and a SF instead, how much better would we look with IT/Reke/Klay out there? We needed spacing and there it was. Or running Reke at point with MT/Klay spreading the floor. Reke would have much more room to attack and they'd be getting great looks off his penetration.

Oh, what could have been.

Jimmer's better than Klay Thompson but he isn't getting the same opportunity. You can't do anything on the bench and I know for a fact Jimmer has been better than the guys ahead of him in practice, it was widely reported before the season began. I don't put much into practice, but if that's the determining factor, Jimmer should be the starter.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Jimmer's better than Klay Thompson but he isn't getting the same opportunity. You can't do anything on the bench and I know for a fact Jimmer has been better than the guys ahead of him in practice, it was widely reported before the season began. I don't put much into practice, but if that's the determining factor, Jimmer should be the starter.
Dear lord.

dude give it a rest. his NBA days are numbered