[Grades] Grades v. Thunder 1/15/2017

Down three, Thunder ball, 26.5 seconds to go...how do you coach it?

• Set up the D, try to make them miss, call timeout and draw up a tying three at the buzzer

Votes: 22 71.0%
  • Play the foul game

Votes: 9 29.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
The Kings play hard now. In a game like this it is obvious that they do not have the talent to run with NBA teams with winning records. Westbrook is up there with the all time greats of the game. He does everything well. He can almost hit his head on the rim. Absolutely spectacular.

Cousins seems to struggle with teams that swarm him inside. He seems way too complacent out beyond the arc throwing up threes. On nights when he is missing them, he needs to stop shooting them. He must get his shots blocked more than any other player in the league. He has the inside and outside game, but needs to go back to the mid range game more. His talent is no secret, and opposing teams are coming up with schemes to slow him down. He is a good passer and needs to read double teams a little faster.

The rest of the Kings are really role players and journeyman type players that have knocked around the League. They are well coached in my opinion by now. They probably never can get to .500 with the current roster. They have become legendary in their squandering of high draft picks. No marquis players want to come to Sacto. The great players need to be drafted.
I cannot be the only person noticing just how much Cousins did NOT want to shoot threes last time, and really much of this homestand. How many times has he hesitated, pulled it down, even passed it off...only to have his wonderfully talented teammates throw it right back to him in a here, you take it moment.

Cuz has shown a pretty decent feel for when his outside shot is on or not. But I think the same problem that drives his exhausting usage% drives some of his too many threes nights -- our guys rely on him so much that almost everybody but Rudy will throw him the ball to take those threes rather than shoot it themselves. A little of that is a good thing. Heck, a lot of that is a good thing. Roleplayers knowing who their meal ticket is = why you have them. But normally you have several options for them to throw the ball too, somebody to start taking shots and load when your #1 is off. Far too often Cuz isn;t feeling it and tries to pass it off, but the guy he is passing it off to isn;t used to taking those shots either and sends it right back. Lot of things this team needs. Another creative scorer is definitely one of them.

I cannot be the only person noticing just how much Cousins did NOT want to shoot threes last time, and really much of this homestand. How many times has he hesitated, pulled it down, even passed it off...only to have his wonderfully talented teammates throw it right back to him in a here, you take it moment.

Cuz has shown a pretty decent feel for when his outside shot is on or not. But I think the same problem that drives his exhausting usage% drives some of his too many threes nights -- our guys rely on him so much that almost everybody but Rudy will throw him the ball to take those threes rather than shoot it themselves. A little of that is a good thing. Heck, a lot of that is a good thing. Roleplayers knowing who their meal ticket is = why you have them. But normally you have several options for them to throw the ball too, somebody to start taking shots and load when your #1 is off. Far too often Cuz isn;t feeling it and tries to pass it off, but the guy he is passing it off to isn;t used to taking those shots either and sends it right back. Lot of things this team needs. Another creative scorer is definitely one of them.
That can be fixed by going down low or staying off the 3 pt line. But then again it's prob the coach that tells him to hang around there. It's so frustrating to see him camp around the 3 pt line and not punish a team down low, especially when it's a smaller pf on him

Again the same problem exists today that existed 2 years ago. He physically has short comings that aren't going away. He needs to and the team needs to find a way to live with it and win.
But despite these "shortcomings" he's been one of the best defenders at the C position the last 2 years.

Is he as fast and as quick as Anthony Davis? No. Is he as strong as Marjanovic? No. Is he as long as Gobert? No. Can he jump as high as DeAndre? No. Is he as smart as Gasol? No. Having said all of that, what's your point? That he is not a flawless human being? You can say that about every single player in the NBA. If the end product is a good defensive C, I can live with him not being the quickest, fastest, strongest, longest, highest jumping, and/or smartest player on the court.

You're missing the bigger picture, and focusing on physical limitations that aren't causing him to be an ineffective defender. It's really a bizarre stance, and I hope you see how foolish it is when it is explained back to you.

L

Lopes

But despite these "shortcomings" he's been one of the best defenders at the C position the last 2 years.

Is he as fast and as quick as Anthony Davis? No. Is he as strong as Marjanovic? No. Is he as long as Gobert? No. Can he jump as high as DeAndre? No. Is he as smart as Gasol? No. Having said all of that, what's your point? That he is not a flawless human being? You can say that about every single player in the NBA. If the end product is a good defensive C, I can live with him not being the quickest, fastest, strongest, longest, highest jumping, and/or smartest player on the court.

You're missing the bigger picture, and focusing on physical limitations that aren't causing him to be an ineffective defender. It's really a bizarre stance, and I hope you see how foolish it is when it is explained back to you.
No he has not been a top defender. Did you read the article? Can't cover pick and rolls and can't rotate fast enough to 3 or shooter

L

Lopes

The 3 year old article by somebody at Fansided? Please.
Again his streak movement has not improved. Not possible to improve. It is a few years old yes. But it doesn't take away from the argument that he is horrible I. The pick and roll. And has a hard time rotating on 3 Pr shooters

Status
Not open for further replies.