[Grades] Grades v. The Morons in Striped Shirts 1/21/2017

Where's the secondary scoring we so desperately need going to come from?

• Collison

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • Afflalo

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lawson

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • Omri?

Votes: 6 12.5%
  • one of the kids

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • a trade

Votes: 6 12.5%
  • we're screwed

Votes: 23 47.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat

Well, I have re-couped the palace and am back. I will say now, anybody who doesn't want the Kings to one day rise beyond absolute B.S. like the call that cost us the game in this one should just stay out of this thread. You're not welcome here, not now.

Link to Boxscore

Afflalo ( C ) -- he hit a series of threes in the late third when it looked like we might pull it off, he had a sweet dime to a cutting Collison, and moved the ball well. He did give us defensive effort on Butler and Wade, although not very effective. But in the end, other than standstill corner threes, simply not enough from a guy being counted on to replace Rudy.

Koufos ( C+ ) -- got off to a pretty good start to this one, but was letting Lopez get too much on the glass. Think he opened the third scoring as well, but lost a few minutes to a suddenly competent Willie. Should have gotten some of an ineffective Tolliver's time.

Cousins ( A+ ) -- one of the Consortium members summed it up "What more can the man do?" Answer tonight was nothing. Which is why having it stolen was so devastating. Destroyed whoever they had guard him. Got feisty on the glass. Stayed efficient. Hit big threes to put us in position. Superstar performance with very little help form his own team, and none at all from the refs.

Temple ( C+ ) -- saddled with foul problems all night as the refs thought it was 2006 all over again and calling a series of ridiculous touch and guess fouls on anybody who dared to try to D up Butler and Wade. Still made an impact on that end when he was in there, but offense was inefficient and made several mistakes.

Collison ( C- ) -- attacked the rim but had no idea what to do when he got there. Too small to be effective against big Bulls guardlines, and so far has been an utter failure in stepping up to fill in for the missing Rudy points.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Barnes ( C- ) -- why of why does Matt Barnes constantly leave the corner three open? I wish I knew the answer to that question. Hit a big three to open the 4th, scored no other points. ook the Butler/Wade defensive minutes Afflalo and Temple could not cover, and instead gets lit up by something called a Zipser? Only had one wild turnover.

Tolliver ( D+ ) -- the "+" here is just because the two threes he did it kinda felt important just to establish that some King was going to hit them (Afflalo joined in). But my lord...he did NOTHING else. A PF who plays 25 minutes and gives you 6pts 1reb on 2-7 shooting (including 4 other missed threes), a bad turnover up top, and falling down being blown around boardwork?

Lawson ( C+ ) -- well, the good of this was that he was aggressive attacking and trying to set up teammates. We really missed that the game he missed. The bad of it was he a) can't shoot; b) was driving inside into smothering and much bigger traffic, and turning it over.

Richardson ( B- ) -- maybe a tad high on the grade given not a lot of productivity, but there was a lot of promise, and he continues to look like he flat belongs. Showed no hesitation or nerves. Would have hit a three at the 1st quarter buzzer if Cuz had got it to him half a sec earlier. Saved a d-board with nice hustle. Looked mature enough may have just taken Ben's minutes.

Cauley Stein ( B- ) -- hey, the last few games, suddenly Willie seems to be coming alive. Nothing dominant, and frankly his crapty hot potato boardwork, and it remains crapty, may always keep him from dominance. But he's looking much more active on defense, and he's showing more fluidity on offense. He was a contributor in his minutes (which we won) until his lack of physicality got him pulled eventually.

Last edited:
Yeah, the Bulls crew couldn't believe it either. The Bulls announcers are actually good, so that's my one positive. The Bulls crew is listenable in a league with few quality TV crews.

They were honest on every call. Gave every player credit and had a feel for the game.
Decided to give them a listen for this game. Was not disappointed. They were pretty fair about the calls for both teams.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Yeah, the Bulls crew couldn't believe it either. The Bulls announcers are actually good, so that's my one positive. The Bulls crew is listenable in a league with few quality TV crews.

They were honest on every call. Gave every player credit and had a feel for the game.
Yeah, I was watching the Bulls stream and they stand out amongst all the homer crews out there. They really questioned the foul on Temple at the end of the first half as well.

Decided to give them a listen for this game. Was not disappointed. They were pretty fair about the calls for both teams.
They get mentioned a bit in "league pass ratings" sort of columns and threads, but hadn't caught many of their games. I knew they started the Jimmy G Buckets thing, which is cool. They called that Cousins spin dunk as the Boogie Whip and I thought that was pretty clever for off-the-cuff announcing.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
We're seeing a change in Boogie slowly evolve. It's truly becoming "Us vs. Them" and Boogie is using sardonic comments to full effect. I had a quote for a while in my signature that said something about if Boogie was able to channel his anger and frustration into his game, he could break the NBA. I think we're very close to seeing that come to fruition.

One more thing?

**** YOU, NBA OFFICIALS!

For the record: Tonight's officials were:

Sean Wright (#4)
Michael Snith (#38) - he made the call
CJ Washington (#53)

Last edited:

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Am I the only one who was a little disappointed that Richardson only got 8mins in the entire game? I guess at least he got more than Rondo...
I was a bit disheartened when Temple picked up his 4th foul coach immediately went to Barnes.

I mean, what's the worst that could happen if Malachi comes in? We lose even worse? And (as usual) it wasn't like Barnes was doing anything to help the team.

Ride and die with your proven vets... it's a shame, but it seems like what we're gonna get with Joerger. I do hope it changes before too long.

The refs would have fouled Malachi out of the games in 5 minutes if he was checking D Wade or Butler. A Vet gets a little more respect. Not much as a King but a little more.

I have had just about enough of the NBA refereeing. It is just about every game. The bad calls in tonights game were just incredibly glaring so no one can deny it. usually it is less one sided.

Tonight the refs put Temple on the bench which gave the Bulls a big edge.

D Wade and Butler shot 25 flipping free throws!!!!!

I'm on board with Lawson starting for a stretch. Heading forward, I think he's the Kings PG that's most likely to be a long term answer
I don't like "long-term" answer. Even ignoring his off-court issues, he's already 29. He's an undersized PG that isn't a good 3pt shooter. He has a very limited game inside the paint because of his size. In his short 40 game tenure as a King, it feels like he gets blocked more times down low than IT did in his entire 4 years here. His defense is extremely questionable. You have to keep in mind that he's playing for a contract year, so he's trying a lot harder on that end. When he was in Denver, his defense was below-average. Yes he's a good playmaker, but in 2017, you need scoring PGs more than you need playmaking PGs. Just ask Rubio.

I don't mind Lawson starting, but I do mind him as a long-term PG. He's only going to get worse as he ages.
At best, Lawson is a backup PG. He's not a starter on 25+ other teams. Kings were desperate for a backup PG, so we nabbed Lawson. The Kings are starting to feel like a place where washed up PGs come to revive their career. Rondo was actually able to do that last year, but he's been awful after that. Lawson is looking semi-decent, but nowhere the player he was before his most recent DUI.
I think we should cut ties with Lawson after this year. He's such a bad matchup defensively, and he's not making it up with his offense. He used to be a solid 3pt shooter, but that's gone down the toilet.

There's a lot of players out there who could fill Lawson's void at backup PG

I don't like "long-term" answer. Even ignoring his off-court issues, he's already 29. He's an undersized PG that isn't a good 3pt shooter. He has a very limited game inside the paint because of his size. In his short 40 game tenure as a King, it feels like he gets blocked more times down low than IT did in his entire 4 years here. His defense is extremely questionable. You have to keep in mind that he's playing for a contract year, so he's trying a lot harder on that end. When he was in Denver, his defense was below-average. Yes he's a good playmaker, but in 2017, you need scoring PGs more than you need playmaking PGs. Just ask Rubio.

I don't mind Lawson starting, but I do mind him as a long-term PG. He's only going to get worse as he ages.
At best, Lawson is a backup PG. He's not a starter on 25+ other teams. Kings were desperate for a backup PG, so we nabbed Lawson. The Kings are starting to feel like a place where washed up PGs come to revive their career. Rondo was actually able to do that last year, but he's been awful after that. Lawson is looking semi-decent, but nowhere the player he was before his most recent DUI.
I think we should cut ties with Lawson after this year. He's such a bad matchup defensively, and he's not making it up with his offense. He used to be a solid 3pt shooter, but that's gone down the toilet.

I meant long term in terms of being better than Collison, and just perusing the 2017 FAs I'm not convinced a better player might be available to us. I don't think Paul, Teague, Hill, or even a Holiday are walking through those doors. But maybe I'm wrong :)

K

KingMilz

Cousins was actually unreal in terms of production and his effort tonight he ran back and chased down a number of player forcing misses including that Wade missed dunk was somehow was called a foul. All in all good result we need as many losses as possible so the bad call in the short term hurts but in the long run is not a bad thing at all.

Anybody claiming that officiating never decides a game needs to give this one a review. While we certainly have no idea what would have happened had the game gone to OT, we do know that that the call allowed the Bulls to win in regulation.

To me this was a case of the ref "assuming" there was a foul rather than actually seeing one. Unfortunately, that happens far more than it should.

The sad reality we're in is guys like Koufos, Temple, Casspi, Lawson, Collison need to be bench guys getting bench minutes. It's too much asking players who should be your 6-8 talents, to be the 2-5 as we are now.