Grades v. Sonics 05/03

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Peja ( A ) -- maybe we can start calling him "Big Game" Peja. Or at least "Big Three Quarters" Peja. Came out extremely aggressive, and you can always see it. The cuts were crisper, the drives more aggressive. And after one early fast break where he pulled back passively and didn't look like he wanted the shot, he spent the rest of the half aggressively taking the ball, holding it, even shaking people one on one. And was scorching hot. Even spilled over into a couple of pretty good boards in traffic (not the kind that just fall in his hands, but him actually battling for them). Great A+ half. Began to cool off in the third quarter, but still got his points. Then started off the fourth 0-3 or 0-4 and it looked like the same ole story again. But if you looked closer it was not. He missed everything and certainly not the stuff late game legends are made of, but this time he was not hiding. Far from it. He was moving aggressively, wanted the ball. Just not able to hit big contested shots with the intensity turned up. But at least he tried this time. And while the misses hurt -- think he finished the quarter maybe 2-7 or so which looks terrible (the only hits were a layup and a big late three). But he also got to the line a couple of times on aggressive drives. May have been tiring late. Think he started this one off on an impossible 11-12 tear, but if that's true, means he finished it up 3-13, and his defense slipped a bit aate too. Finally hit a big big three at the 30 second mark that threatened to make him a hero, but came back a few seconds later and missed another, and also lost a critical rebound to Nick Collison at the 30 second mark (in fact gave us a lovely ZERO rebounds in the second half as we got crushed) and rotated softly and ineffectually on Ray Allen's game winning drive. But you know what, if this was the last game for Peja as a King, I have no complaints really. He brought energy and effort and he tried. I just don't think he's a clutch player even when the effort is there, but tonight he had the passion you wish he would play with every night.
Thomas ( C ) -- banged and hustled early, but lost the battle and got into foul trouble. Disappeared late in the half as the Kings began to get worked over on the glass. Made some good passes, but was really the only one of the quintet we went with for the majority of the game (Bibby, Evans, Peja, Thomas, Miller) who was not strong tonight. Never was able to give us any sort of real help on the boards tonight as the Sonics threatened to double us up and really iced the victory down the stretch with backbreaking offensive rebounds.
Miller ( B+ ) -- struggled on the glass again, legs not there, but really really helped us once again with his passing and outside shot. Let us run some of our traditional high post offense. And finally, FINALLY, Jerome James had that down game. Not really because of outstanding defense by Brad, but he stayed in there. For much of the game the story was Brad coming up with 11 assists -- a huge reason why the offense was so potent tonight. But down the stretch, started missing shots and his total lack of lift on the boards killed us. And in a bit of irony the play that finished our season featured Ray Allen driving unimpeded down the lane with Brad unable to block the shot as he and Peja just stood there as pylons while Ray went right to the rim. Was tempted to give him a "B" for the rebounding and defensive issues, but the passing and offensive boost was so huge, and not sure how strong the leg is, nor how much he had left after playing 41 minutes tonight.
Mobley ( C ) -- was off to a mediocre start, scoring a little, but not doing much else and having his problems with Allen again. Then came up with a sprained ankle and missed the rest of the half. Actually may have helped us as Mo Evans came on and gave us that critical extra burst of defense and hustle on Ray Allen. A quiet and ignominious potential end to Cat's tenure with the Kings.
Bibby ( A ) -- came out firey and determined, and generally in a foul mood. Was barking at teammates and at Rick -- maybe not the best of things, but appreciated knowing for sure that he wanted this one. Could not hit a shot in the first quarter, but ran the offense well and set up Peja repeatedly to get him going. Shot came online in the second quarter and he was relentless therafter. Attacking attacking and very focused. And managed to balance it this time and keep the offense flowing as well. Think here the reemergence of Brad Miller helped Mike immensely. Was ok in the fourth -- came up with 9pts, but certainly not dominant. Had problems defensively this time containing the Sonics PGs. Not the story of his game by a long shot, but a problem in a game where we score 118 and LOSE. Not a perfect game from Mike, but a tough inspired playoff effort from him in trying to reclaim his sullied reputation. He and Peja carried the team, and while neither guy could come up big in the 4th, neither entirely went away this time either.
Songaila ( C- ) -- came in early to relieve KT after he got into foul touble, and of course quickly picked up fouls himself. He and Forston could foul out of a game of H.O.R.S.E.. Made a bad, if minor, mistake at the end of the third when he flubbed what should have been a breakaway dunk and turned it into an off target tough 7ft fallaway. Did very little in the rest of his minutes to justify his presence on the court.
Williamson ( C+ ) -- ineffective first half, but did bang with Fortson again. Always amusing, and stupid, as they really aren't playing basketball out there, they are just finding each other and slamming into one another. Need some of those sumo belt/diaper thingies. In the second half came on and was active, and that was apaprently enough to eventually see him swing over and play PF for us even as we were getting crushed on the glass.
Jackson ( D ) -- came in struggling again and only lasted a few minutes before Rick went right back to Mike. Returned at the end of the third quarter and immediately made a bad foul and had major difficulties trying to guard Ray. These last two games for Bobby have been terrible. And tonight for the first time that I can recall, you can see that Rick had no confidence in him and just wasn't going to leave him in for his normal minutes and let him try to play his way through it. So it was two short, bad stints, and immediately back to Bibby and Mo. Has to be a disappointing end to the season for Bobby.
Evans ( A- ) -- came in from nowhere and played a critical role in this one. Initially came in just for a few minutes, but looked strong and active, and as some had predicted was able to at least slow down Ray Allen. But opportunity knocked for him when Cat abruptly pulled up lame in the second quarter and never returned. And Mo made the most of it, contending with Allen all game long and even throwing in a couple of big threes. But in the final two minutes first got screwed on a bad foul call against Rashard Lewis, and then, on the most critical play of the night, finally just got flat out beat by Ray (the superstars are all known by just one name, and Ray played like one this series) for the game icing drive.
House ( INC ) -- couple of quick minutes in each half + not much. Just a cameo before we settled (finally) on Mo Evans as an OG to check Ray, and Mike of course as one of our big guns to carry us.
Skinner ( INC ) -- 11th man on the floor to start the 2nd. Didn't have time to do much of anything, and Rick, after initially looking like he was going to try everybody, totally forgot about both of his interior defenders therafter (Brian and Tag).

Adelman ( B ) -- Rick started off the game well, even though we did not. Things were looking briefly grim there with the Sonics jumping out to a 9-2 lead and us looking ready to hang our heads and fracture. But Rick called a quick timeout at the 9 minute mark, and we came out more settled and ready to play in one helluva game. And Rick also surprised by going early and deep into his bench, albeit in waht turned out to be a bit of a mirage. Basically the coach was giving everybody an ingame tryout, and those that played well got more minutes, those that didn't barely touched the floor (except for our PFs, none of whom played well). Most important find on the bench by far was Mo Evans, who played a very strong game tonight and competed well with Ray Allen, although the boxscore will tell you he did not find a way to really stop him. Team as a whole played inspired ball, perhaps in response to the **** talk in the papers, but did not do the things that needed to be done to shake the soft rep -- our offense was great. And even our hustle was good. But our baordwork and defense were terrible again, and we just simply got outworked right into TDOS. Liked Rick's play calling out of timeouts tonight...until the very end of the game when the shot we got off at the 12 second mark (missed Peja three) was not the best I thought. Substitutions were solid in that he found his horses and ran with them to a huge offensive game, and other than his continuing fascinatin with Corliss as an undersized big man, he did not give minutes to guys not producing tonight. But one more time you just have to ask -- where were Skinner and Tag? We scored 118 and we lost. Doubt we would have scored 118 with Skinner and/or Tag in there, and certainly their free throw shooting made either a perilous choice late in the game. But either or both guys could only have helped us on the glass and on defense where we simply lost the game and the season.

Last edited:
Adelman a BIG FAT F.. we could have won this freaking game. We are getting them to miss and then their big guys are just reaching over Miller and getting the rebound..Unbelievable!

ImaKingsFan said:
Adelman a BIG FAT F.. we could have won this freaking game. We are getting them to miss and then their big guys are just reaching over Miller and getting the rebound..Unbelievable!

Completely disagree. If you're going down, you go down with your best players on the floor, whether they are tired, injured or not.

Venom said:
Completely disagree. If you're going down, you go down with your best players on the floor, whether they are tired, injured or not.

The Point is WE didn't have to go down. We should have won this game.

ImaKingsFan said:
Yea, RA should've taken Brad out and put in Tag.

Brilliant!!!

What was he thinking???

As complete a game as one can expect from Peja; even though it was a loss, a definite A/A+ I think (if it was a win, wouldn't be a question for the A+). He hit a pressure shot late in the 4th! Props!

Was aggressive on both ends too. Lewis just had it going this game, nothing to be done about it. Peja just doesn't have the ability to guard him when he's on his game. I love the fact that Peja really got his nose in there and even argued with the refs on a few calls.

Mike should get an A as well. Really kept us in there and gave us some hope down the stretch.

Of course, all that being said:
Any 5 random non-King NBA players > Kings Defense

An exaggeration, I suppose... but not by much.

Venom said:
Exactly. Some people will seek to blame the coach no matter what he does, just b/c we didn't win.

Sonics were the better team, deal with it.

Team Dime said:
Yea, RA should've taken Brad out and put in Tag.

Brilliant!!!

What was he thinking???

How about he try Tag and Miller? As many second chance opportunities as we were giving them, what could it have hurt to have tried him? It would have been impossible for him to have done much worse.

As many points as Peja scored, I wouldn't give him an A. He was slow to the ball all night and his help defense absolutely stunk. Plus, outside of that one three he was bricking it and forcing it in the 4th.

Team Dime said:
Exactly. Some people will seek to blame the coach no matter what he does, just b/c we didn't win.

Sonics were the better team, deal with it.
We made them the better team tonight. We played D and got the misses and they were getting the rebounds. So instead of us having a chance to go down and even it up they were given yet another opportunity to pull ahead of us.
This game was winnable. And you don't have to be snotty and tell me to DEal with it. I am allowed my observations too. He was outcoached plain and simple.

Some people seem to think that two big, slowfooted guys are always better than one. I don't think so. Rick went with his best players and we lost. I don't think Tag would have made much of a difference.

You don't experiment with a new front-court lineup during the last game of a playoff series. RA would truly be a stupid coach if he did.

swisshh said:
As many points as Peja scored, I wouldn't give him an A. He was slow to the ball all night and his help defense absolutely stunk. Plus, outside of that one three he was bricking it and forcing it in the 4th.
Pedja is our best deffender and he was tonight as well.

Sparky said:
Some people seem to think that two big, slowfooted guys are always better than one. I don't think so. Rick went with his best players and we lost. I don't think Tag would have made much of a difference.

Well, we will never know. But as I said they (Skinner or Tag) certainly could not have done much worse. Miller was gassed. He threw the ball away two times in close succession and he just couldn't rebound, but he could however, get frustrated and then foul. I do not blame Miller either, he was trying to play coming back from a major injury and you cannot expect him to have enough gas to play all those minutes in such a physical game.

vj9999 said:
I think Evans wins that award tonight, but you are talking about on the ball defense in which Peja is an adequate defender. I am talking about cutting off the lane and rotating to protect the basket.

Zyphen said:
You don't experiment with a new front-court lineup during the last game of a playoff series. RA would truly be a stupid coach if he did.

My point is.. it should not have been an experiment. We have needed some size in the paint the whole series. NO one laid a hard foul on Allen the whole entire series. Did you see what THEY did to Bibby? Everyone is singing Evans praises tonight, but yet RA didn't give him minutes in this series until Cuttino went out with an injury tonight. You cannot help but wonder if he could have made a difference earlier.

Last edited:
swisshh said:
I think Evans wins that award tonight, but you are talking about on the ball defense in which Peja is an adequate defender. I am talking about cutting off the lane and rotating to protect the basket.
He helped there as much as anyone elso on the team. Maybe he didn't have a perfect gam, but anytime Peja show up in a playoff game and puts up 38 points and defends above average he deserves the highest grade.

vj9999 said:
#1: He wasn't by far
#2: Best defender on the Kings isn't an accomplishment

Take your Peja lens off. Peja simply did the best he could on defense. And I don't think anyone can ask more than what he gave. He just simply doesn't have the ability to defend Lewis when he's on his game. RA realized this and took Peja off Lewis after Peja picked up his 5th. Lewis would have drove and fouled out Peja almost immediately afterwards, otherwise. He was looking to drive every time.

Peja was 1 for 8 in the fourth quarter tonight. That's not an "A" no matter how many points you score through three. He was 2 for 16 with eleven points TOTAL through all of five of this series' fourth quarters. The loss isn't all on Peja, but those numbers are less than pathetic.

Zyphen said:
#1: He wasn't by far
#2: Best defender on the Kings isn't an accomplishment

Take your Peja lens off. Peja simply did the best he could on defense. And I don't think anyone can ask more than what he gave. He just simply doesn't have the ability to defend Lewis when he's on his game. RA realized this and took Peja off Lewis after Peja picked up his 5th. Lewis would have drove and fouled out Peja almost immediately afterwards, otherwise. He was looking to drive every time.
#1 Thanks for calling me out.
#2 I think I built mycredibility around here that I don't wear any player "lens". I will blindely defend any player on this team when they are being singled out.
#3 Are you telling me that picking up 5 PFs and playing agreassive like he did tonight is not a sign of good defending?

I'm off to clean my lenses.

Venom said:

So if we go by your theory.. Evans (a very bright spot in this game) should not have played and we should have gone with a lame Mobley?

Wow, what a game. It was fun.

Even though the Kings lost, the guys did what I wanted them to do, and that was go out and try your best. I thought the players did exactly that and I'm very happy. :)

Pedja: A. I can't remember the last time I saw Pedja playing this aggressive and good for 48 mins. Pedja played great. Good work, Pedja!

Bibby: A This is probably the best game Bibby had this whole series.

Brad: C+ Decent game by Brad. Those 2 miss jumpers in clutch really hurted and that TO from timeout was bad. The out of bounds rebound from the FT was bad too.

Cuttino: C Didn't really play much but was himself when he was in to me.

Kenny: B Good game.

Mo: A+ I'm just very happy with Mo tonight. He played great. I hope we resign him!!!

Corliss: B Good game.

I have no complaint about Adelman's coaching decision. True, Pedja, Brad, Bibby was probably tried in 4th qtr, but this was a Win or Go Home game so we need our best players on the court.

Can't wait till next season. GO KINGS!!!!

Zyphen said:
He just simply doesn't have the ability to defend Lewis when he's on his game.
True, but Peja had almost fourty points, so I 'd say Lewis can't guard Peja when Peja is on his game either. They both had great games. Too bad Peja was so wiped out in the late fourth. I loved the way Peja drove to the basket. He knew his jumper was no longer reliable, so he drove hard. Great game. I had pretty much lost faith in the guy. Somehow, he hit puberty overnight and came in with some cojones.

If you had asked me yesterday what I thought of Peja's post season play, I would've said dump the guy for a decent draft pick. Good thing I am not a GM.

NewMonkey said:
Peja was 1 for 8 in the fourth quarter tonight. That's not an "A" no matter how many points you score through three. He was 2 for 16 with eleven points TOTAL through all of five of this series' fourth quarters. The loss isn't all on Peja, but those numbers are less than pathetic.
LAst game 4th qtr he was pathetic. This game, his shot was not going in in the 4th(except for that clutch 3), but he was agressive and he was trying. Not pathetic by any means.

Status
Not open for further replies.