[Grades] Grades v. Nets 11/13/2013

Who's arrival made the difference tonight?

• Jason Thompson

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • Grevis Vasquez

Votes: 39 57.4%
  • Marcus Thornton

Votes: 23 33.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Oh, and harsh grade on Thompson. I'd take that from him any night. At least should be in the B range.
very much agreed on that. maybe my perspective was slightly biased because of that terrible rebounding effort vs. the Blazers, but when JT and Cuz came out and flat out cleaned up the glass in the beginning, I thought it very much stabilised the starting unit and took some of the fight out of BKN. he was also setting solid screens (the one thing Cuz still doesn't do well consistently on offense) and had a decent defensive game. he flat out needs to start.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
very much agreed on that. maybe my perspective was slightly biased because of that terrible rebounding effort vs. the Blazers, but when JT and Cuz came out and flat out cleaned up the glass in the beginning, I thought it very much stabilised the starting unit and took some of the fight out of BKN. he was also setting solid screens (the one thing Cuz still doesn't do well consistently on offense) and had a decent defensive game. he flat out needs to start.
the extra rebounder made a huge difference, you could just see it when Cuz was pulled away from the hoop there was still somebody there to clean things up. And not to be overlooked, JT's ability to take the Lopez matchup also could/should have been a major plus. Of course as it turned out we lost Cuz to fouls anyway, but as much as this move had to be made anyway, and indeed I wanted it from the beginning of the year, you have to wonder about its perfect timing too -- just in time for the Nets, who go 7'1"/6'11" on the front line and Pistons, who go 6'11"/7'0". In both cases we can have JT take the better scorer to protect Cuz from fouls without being worried about our weenie forward being overwhelmed in the other matchup.

the extra rebounder made a huge difference, you could just see it when Cuz was pulled away from the hoop there was still somebody there to clean things up. And not to be overlooked, JT's ability to take the Lopez matchup also could/should have been a major plus. Of course as it turned out we lost Cuz to fouls anyway, but as much as this move had to be made anyway, and indeed I wanted it from the beginning of the year, you have to wonder about its perfect timing too -- just in time for the Nets, who go 7'1"/6'11" on the front line and Pistons, who go 6'11"/7'0". In both cases we can have JT take the better scorer to protect Cuz from fouls without being worried about our weenie forward being overwhelmed in the other matchup.
Amazing how starting a PF at PF actually worked. It's hard to play with 4 sub standard rebounders on the court. How does anyone confuse PPat for a PF?

the whole dynamic with this new starting lineup and bench unit just makes more sense. have your most physically imposing lineup in there to start (outside of Salmons, naturally, but there seems to be no cure for that disease) and have them beat on the opposing team's main guys. then, when they're good and ready, bring in IT and Thornton to run ragged on what's left of the starters or the other team's bench unit. if those two can manage to share shots the way they did last night, that's actually a pretty dynamic bench duo. not sure how Landry will fit into that, once he returns, but I've never seen him fit on this team anyway.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
I misread Brick's intro and thought there were only a total of 5 in the Grading Consortium. Capt. was pointing out that there are, in fact, more than 5 and that no every member will be grading every game.
I was out of the country for the last month and although I'm back, I have things to take care of and my time is limited. Will be joining sometime next week, if that answers your earlier question.

I personally enjoy the diversity of the consortium. We have some knowledgeable posters around here.

the whole dynamic with this new starting lineup and bench unit just makes more sense. have your most physically imposing lineup in there to start (outside of Salmons, naturally, but there seems to be no cure for that disease) and have them beat on the opposing team's main guys. then, when they're good and ready, bring in IT and Thornton to run ragged on what's left of the starters or the other team's bench unit. if those two can manage to share shots the way they did last night, that's actually a pretty dynamic bench duo. not sure how Landry will fit into that, once he returns, but I've never seen him fit on this team anyway.
Yeah, Landry is completely redundant. Watching him IT and MT see who get up the most shots the fastest will be interesting, but probably not that successful.

Amazing how starting a PF at PF actually worked. It's hard to play with 4 sub standard rebounders on the court. How does anyone confuse PPat for a PF?
The term "stretch 4" has become very popular. So much so, it seems that at times some have forgotten what is most important from your biggest forward. I'm not a fan at all of these "stretch 4's" who fall in love with the arc and just hang outside most of the game

I agree that is is a positive step to see JT starting again. fense, rebounding, consistent scoring around 10 ppg and the big motor.

The PG position is the least of the Kings' worries.
Ben Mac may be deserving of more and more minutes. I have hope at the SG.
The SF is still a disaster no matter how you want to approach it.

I only saw the first half of the Nets game on a fishing trip. The break was surprisingly effective and fun to watch. The Kings made the Nets look slow.

The term "stretch 4" has become very popular. So much so, it seems that at times some have forgotten what is most important from your biggest forward. I'm not a fan at all of these "stretch 4's" who fall in love with the arc and just hang outside most of the game
i saw a Rocket fan on another forum asking who has a stretch 4 that they can trade for Asik

I saw a Kings fan in another forum suggesting PPat.. This guy is one decent game removed from fans of one of the worst teams in the leagues not wanting him.. Also, I don't know if Demarcus should be playing pf? I don't even know Asik's game but if it is as good as people talk about I don't know if anything outside of Demarcus, Ben and our pick which we cant trade anyway will get that done -edit- Now that I think of it IT's value is probably high right about now, but I'm a huge IT fan and don't know if I would part or Houston would for that matter

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I saw a Kings fan in another forum suggesting PPat.. This guy is one decent game removed from fans of one of the worst teams in the leagues not wanting him.. Also, I don't know if Demarcus should be playing pf? I don't even know Asik's game but if it is as good as people talk about I don't know if anything outside of Demarcus, Ben and our pick which we cant trade anyway will get that done -edit- Now that I think of it IT's value is probably high right about now, but I'm a huge IT fan and don't know if I would part or Houston would for that matter
Demarcus played a lot of PF in his rookie year alongside Dalembert and has even stated that it's his preferred position. Now, whether or not Asik could play the hybrid C/PF position that a tandem with Cousins would entail on a consistant basis is another question.

Asik isn't exactly a worldbreaker but he is among the better defensive big men in the league (even if his block numbers are not reflective of a true defensive stopper). Couple that with his solid rebounding (he was third in the league last season) and his legit size (an actual seven footer) and he would be an immediate upgrade to our team. Is he probably worth the contract he was given? Most likely not but the value of good big men is inflated in the modern NBA.

But since his contract is what it is, it diminishes his value in trades, thus increasing the chances of us being able to offer a deal that the Rockets would bite on.

Not really sure the Rockets would want IT, Beverley is a rising star and Lin is among the better backups in the league. Behind those two, there's still Aaron Brooks.

Demarcus played a lot of PF in his rookie year alongside Dalembert and has even stated that it's his preferred position. Now, whether or not Asik could play the hybrid C/PF position that a tandem with Cousins would entail on a consistant basis is another question.

Asik isn't exactly a worldbreaker but he is among the better defensive big men in the league (even if his block numbers are not reflective of a true defensive stopper). Couple that with his solid rebounding (he was third in the league last season) and his legit size (an actual seven footer) and he would be an immediate upgrade to our team. Is he probably worth the contract he was given? Most likely not but the value of good big men is inflated in the modern NBA.

But since his contract is what it is, it diminishes his value in trades, thus increasing the chances of us being able to offer a deal that the Rockets would bite on.

Not really sure the Rockets would want IT, Beverley is a rising star and Lin is among the better backups in the league. Behind those two, there's still Aaron Brooks.
it's a complicated situation, what with his actual earnings being so much more than the cap hit, but just considering said cap hit ($8.3M) he is *easily* worth his contract. bigs are expensive, quality defensive bigs even more so and Asik was among the top defensive bigs around the league last year. considering that his cap number doesn't hurt you much as far as exceeding the salary cap or reaching luxury tax territory goes, you really should be willing to pay his salary.

Indeed, my first Kings game was at MSG in January 2011, and Dal/Cuz were unstoppable that night. Collectively they embarrassed Amare and whoever the Knicks had at C at that point (Mozgov?). I'm not sure if Asik could provide the length that Dalembert did but I wouldn't be opposed to such a trade.