• DeMarcus Cousins

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • Marcus Thornton

Votes: 64 68.1%
  • Tyreke Evans

Votes: 2 2.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Whatever. I saw effort, intensity, and a willingness to help, those are major parts of defense and I'm encouraged by what I saw.

Oh and BTW, Hayes and Daly would be pretty dominant on the boards, but how do you think they'd be on the other side of the court? Better have Cousins out there 100% of the time otherwise your interior offense is reduced to, well...not much.
And also the ultimate defensive accomplishment, our team held them to less points than we scored. I'll take it as a first game of season.

My favorite part about Hayes' game last night was that he was VOCAL. This team has needed a veteran leader for a while now and while Hayes is far from a superstar, he plays his role well and i think he is going to help all of the youngins find and play into their respected roles this season.

I would give Jimmer a B just for the court vision I saw in this game. I didnt know he had that type of vision from watching his college games.

Hayes is awesome, I like he gets everyone together on Defense...exactly the type of defensive leader we needed.

Jimmer did make a few pretty passes. He seemed to run out of gas a little after draining his first couple shots he came up short with a few, then just stopped shooting. He has a peculiar warm-up routine before the game did anyone check that out? I am not sure if he was forced to do those ballet moves and stretches as some sort of rookie hazing, or if that's really what he does. Anyway he played great for his first game.

I liked Tyreke's game in this one. I'll take 3 or 4 assists with minimal turnovers over the 8 assist 5 TO game that we've been accustomed to. He played within himself, shot well, had some nice drives and played good defense. Still doesn't do anything when he doesn't have the ball. There were moments when Thorton had the ball with Fisher covering Evans and Tyreke could have easily backed him down in the post and called for the ball, but he just stood there instead.

Salmons played ok. Took some usual Salmons type forces but we were much better with him on the court.

What was up with having Thomas guard Kobe? I do not get the thinking behind that. At first I thought it was just on a switch and then I noticed it was for 3 or 4 trips up the court.

And also the ultimate defensive accomplishment, our team held them to less points than we scored. I'll take it as a first game of season.
I think that's where we are not agreeing. I'm not looking at this from the perspective of the first game of the season, I'm looking further on down the road because this shortened season was really an opportunity to make the playoffs. So, I'm not going to be satisfied with just pulling out a close win against a weakened team, I'm looking to how this team is going to compete for a playoff spot.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
I think that's where we are not agreeing. I'm not looking at this from the perspective of the first game of the season, I'm looking further on down the road because this shortened season was really an opportunity to make the playoffs. So, I'm not going to be satisfied with just pulling out a close win against a weakened team, I'm looking to how this team is going to compete for a playoff spot.
While I agree with you in general, this is a team with a lot of new players in their home opener against the hated Lakers. They've had a couple weeks of practice and the starting center had his contract voided a week ago and only returned to the team on what, Saturday? They still had Kobe and Pau. This wasn't the Wizards, you know.

Take some pleasure out of winning the home opener and sending the Lakers home 0-2!

They held the Lakers to 42% FG shooting. Superstar players generally don't get shut down. That's why they are superstar players. You are not going to shut down players like Kobe and Pau.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
One other thing - with DMC and Salmons both injured during the preseason games, this team still hadn't had everyone on the court together much at all. Coach is also trying to get Tyreke to play differently and integrate a couple rookies. It will take time to get all this to gel. Last night was just one small step. But I loved what I saw for the most part and we came out with a "W"!

I think that's a fair way to look at it, in a week or two. This was the opener. We won. That's good enough for me, considering the makeup of the team and how poorly we played at times last season.

But beyond that, the defensive effort was there. It was effective, as they scored just 91 points and shot only 42% from the field (the Bulls held their opponents to 43% last season). After four or five games, if the trends aren't positive, then you look at what we should be doing better. But a win against a team with some pretty good players is worthy of some positive recognition.

Last edited:
K

Kingsguy881

All due respect, you're trippin. You are really going off like this after the Kings beat the Lakers? Lemme put this in a better perspective for you. The Kings are a team that is young, that has 2 new starters who haven't had much practice time, there are 4 new bench pieces that are a major part of the lineup. The only REAL holdovers that are part of the core are Reke Cuzzins and Thornton. And they just beat the hated Lakers. Again, they just beat the lakers. Just beat the lakers. Why you mad?

You are really going off like this after the Kings beat the Lakers? ... And they just beat the hated Lakers. Again, they just beat the lakers. Just beat the lakers...
practice-allen-iverson.jpg

It’s easy to sum it up if you just talking about practice. We sitting here, and I’m sposed to be the franchise player, and we talking bout practice. I mean listen, we sitting here talking bout practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, but we talking bout practice. Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game like it’s my last but we talking bout practice man. How silly is that? … Now I know that I’m sposed to lead by example and all that but I’m not shoving that aside like it don’t mean anything. I know it’s important, I honestly do but we talking bout practice. We talking bout practice man. We talking bout practice. We talking bout practice. We not talking bout the game. We talking bout practice. When you come to the arena, and you see me play, you’ve seen me play right? You seen me give everything I got, but we talking bout practice right now. … Hey I hear you, it’s funny to me too, hey it’s strange to me too but we talking bout practice man, we not even talking bout the game, when it actually matters, we talking bout practice …

Last edited:
K

Kingsguy881

View attachment 3935

It’s easy to sum it up if you’re just talking about practice. We’re sitting here, and I’m supposed to be the franchise player, and we’re talking about practice. I mean listen, we’re sitting here talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, but we’re talking about practice. Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game like it’s my last but we’re talking about practice man. How silly is that? … Now I know that I’m supposed to lead by example and all that but I’m not shoving that aside like it don’t mean anything. I know it’s important, I honestly do but we’re talking about practice. We’re talking about practice man. We’re talking about practice. We’re talking about practice. We’re not talking about the game. We’re talking about practice. When you come to the arena, and you see me play, you’ve seen me play right, you’ve seen me give everything I’ve got, but we’re talking about practice right now. … Hey I hear you, it’s funny to me too, hey it’s strange to me too but we’re talking about practice man, we’re not even talking about the game, when it actually matters, we’re talking about practice …
One of the greatest rants of all time. 'And they were...WHO WE THOUGHT THEY WERE!!!'

Not enough love for Tyreke Evans in the poll. The way he played this game was the complete opposite of how he played in the preseason.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
View attachment 3935

It’s easy to sum it up if you just talking about practice. We sitting here, and I’m sposed to be the franchise player, and we talking bout practice. I mean listen, we sitting here talking bout practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, but we talking bout practice. Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game like it’s my last but we talking bout practice man. How silly is that? … Now I know that I’m sposed to lead by example and all that but I’m not shoving that aside like it don’t mean anything. I know it’s important, I honestly do but we talking bout practice. We talking bout practice man. We talking bout practice. We talking bout practice. We not talking bout the game. We talking bout practice. When you come to the arena, and you see me play, you’ve seen me play right? You seen me give everything I got, but we talking bout practice right now. … Hey I hear you, it’s funny to me too, hey it’s strange to me too but we talking bout practice man, we not even talking bout the game, when it actually matters, we talking bout practice …
What were we talking about?

Who? Me? I didn't say anything. Beyond that I haven't figured out how I got on a new thread. If you find out please let me know. Bewildered.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
You have an interesting definition of "preoccupied."
So, what's the solution? Move Jimmer to King of Spades and Tyreke to King of Diamonds? Make up a new card suit so people don't get all huffy? Tyreke can be the King of Rainbows. Umm, well, rainbows are "colored" plus there's the whole gay pride symbolism. How about the King of Unicorns? Oh, no, those are traditionally white, can't do that. How about King of Shirts? Shirts can be ANY color! There we go, there's our new and totally inoffensive deck of cards, Hearts, Diamonds, Clubs, and Shirts.

Dude, sometimes a card suit is just a card suit.

I just finished watching the game for the second time. It was a great win. Good effort from every player. Coaching by Westphal is relatively okay, but only after considering we won the game.

A grade of "A" for Thornton, Reke, Hayes, and Cousins. They all played the way they should and with enough effort to secure the team a nice win.

Outlaw surprized me. He changed my mind. I think he is a keeper. I like his effort in defense.

Jimmer played like a rookie as expected, but/and showed lots of promising upside on him. I think he could become one of the best point guards in this league in a few years.

Dickson looks like an upgrade at PF. He looks a tad better than JT.

Salmons wasn't able to stop Kobe a bit. Kobe limited himself.

Westphal should avoid playing small ball.

I think JT needs to take some of the time Outlaw was seeing at the 4. Didn't like seeing Hickson with the ball, making him almost a wash with JT.
Give Hickson and JT each 15-20 min of all out hustle.