[Grades] Grades v. Lakers 12/12/2016

Happiest with the game by which non-Cuz?

• Koufos

Votes: 8 15.1%
  • Collison

Votes: 15 28.3%
  • Casspi

Votes: 8 15.1%
  • Temple

Votes: 22 41.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I would have liked to have been in the locker room at the half. The Kings came out in the 3rd and played defense. It shook up the Lakers, it led to offense and some great confidence. What a quarter, the best ever. Kuofos played the best game I have seen him play. He was moving without the ball, running the floor and playing defense. Caspi, Temple and Collison had great games. Omri also moved well without the ball against the Lakers. It is one of the ways to beat the Lakers with all of those young talented cocky players. It healed some old wounds to watch the second half.

Can someone shed some light on DMC and his problem with the Lakers, especially Randle and Shaw?
Luke W knows bball. He is normally a very composed person. He had every right to get pissed off when Cousins tackled Randle and there was no call. It was one of the worst no calls in recent memory. That said, I really hate the Lakers players, but I respect their coach.

Larry89

Disgruntled Kings Fan
I would have liked to have been in the locker room at the half. The Kings came out in the 3rd and played defense. It shook up the Lakers, it led to offense and some great confidence. What a quarter, the best ever. Kuofos played the best game I have seen him play. He was moving without the ball, running the floor and playing defense. Caspi, Temple and Collison had great games. Omri also moved well without the ball against the Lakers. It is one of the ways to beat the Lakers with all of those young talented cocky players. It healed some old wounds to watch the second half.

Can someone shed some light on DMC and his problem with the Lakers, especially Randle and Shaw?
Luke W knows bball. He is normally a very composed person. He had every right to get pissed off when Cousins tackled Randle and there was no call. It was one of the worst no calls in recent memory. That said, I really hate the Lakers players, but I respect their coach.
Its just some friendly trash talk, Randle and DMC both went to UK

gunks

Hall of Famer
What the hell is up with Afflalo?
That guy is shockingly bad, and really has little reason to be on an NBA court the way he's playing now.

I'm stunned we paid him $12 million to come here and do this to us.
On the plus side, he's probably gone next year.

dude12

Hall of Famer

In the last game, I personally thought that LA was very physical with Boogie and the refs didnt protect Boogie, let LA players chip away at him including Randle. Lakers are smug. Boogie took matters into his own hands. I'm completely fine with it. I wold like to see more of his teammates chip back.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
OK, thanks! So, yes, the defense has clearly improved and the differential is now less than 1 point per game. There is a clear drop in scored points per game, but, in fact, the Kings are doing better offensively relatively to the rest of the league.
Karl's PACE! distorts the picture, but per possession basically this team is as good as last year's offensively, and better defensively (although PACE! again disguised the fact that last year's team wasn't quite as godawful defensively as the Pts/Against implied.

Been saying and thinking for years Rudy should be either traded or coming in as 6th man on this team.

Their on court chemistry has gotten worse every year.

Last edited:
I think a 6th man would be great.
Rudy Gay would never accept being a 6th man, and certainly not in Sacramento. What you saw yesterday in the second half was the ball was zipping around faster, guys were making quicker decisions so we were getting easier shots for role players. The issue with Gay is that yes he is a talented scorer that can create his own shot, but defenses rarely double him so any possesion with the ball in his hands in isolation turns into a one on one battle with no player movement from either team. Cousins is also stops the ball but he gets doubled practically every time and if he isn't he has a clear advantage to score. One of the fundamentals of offense is to make the defense think and make decisions. Cousins does that practically anytime the ball is in his hands. A screen does that, make the defense have to work and think and you are more likely to get a good shot.

A thought from last night. Garrett Temple needs to start. He is shooting the three ball at 41 percent, is the best perimter defender we have had here since Ron Artest and his ability to handle the ball and facilitate free's up Collison to be more of a scorer. Collison's best assets on offense is that his corner three ball is money and his quickness. If Temple and Collison can do a Bibby/Chrisite situation where they split facilitating duties, it works out better for the starting unit. All of a sudden you can feed Cousins and you have Collison spotting up in the weakside corner, Temple at the top of the key and Casspi on the other wing.

Something I remembered about last night's game that should be watched:

Demarcus melted down last night, yet got away with it for the most part.
* The blatant grabbing of Randle that precipitated the T's hailing down vs the Lakers was bush-league. I'm shocked Cuz wasn't T'd up.
* The 4th quarter argumentativeness could have been VERY costly. There was a sequence where Cuz did something embarrassing on defense. I pointed it out to my wife and said this is where he has to get ahold of himself - he's likely to gets fouls and techs now.
He then went downcourt and pulled that "lean into defender and try and make incidental bumping for the foul" move he does and it didn't work AGAIN (he got the foul).
Then the next series (?) he can't stop himself from arguing with the assistant coach standing by the Laker bench, is warned by the ref who has to step between them who Demarcus ignored and then couldn't stop himself from arguing more and got a useless Technical called on him (these are GUARANTEED to cost us a game later this year with him piling them up).
Think about that for a second - Demarcus is so incapable of stopping himself from arguing on the court that he will willfully cost his team entire games later this season WHEN he gets his 16th.
He's only 28% of the way thru the season, yet has piled up 56% of his allotted T's already!

I believe he followed all of that up later with a challenge of a free-throw line jumper, then he didn;t even bother to get back for the rebound and stood still at the elbow for 3 seconds as (Randle?) battled for the rebound amid our smaller guys and scored.

Further, Joerger has not demonstrated an ability to get through to Demarcus to help him keep it together when he gets upset.
This does not bode well for this season IMO.

Malone used to bring Demarcus aside and sometimes even yell at him to stop that crap!
Joerger does not have this ability, and therefore Demarcus is left on an emotional island out there with noone to help him back to shore when he sails off to The Sea of Emotion.

I really wish someone could teach Demarcus about the condition called ODD (Oppositional Defiant Disorder).
I'm convinced he has it (I recognize multiple behaviors that match my son's condition).
Source : I've predicted almost every one of Demarcus' on-court meltdowns before they've happened, in real time.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer

* The blatant grabbing of Randle that precipitated the T's hailing down vs the Lakers was bush-league. I'm shocked Cuz wasn't T'd up.
* The 4th quarter argumentativeness could have been VERY costly. There was a sequence where Cuz did something embarrassing on defense. I pointed it out to my wife and said this is where he has to get ahold of himself - he's likely to gets fouls and techs now.
He then went downcourt and pulled that "lean into defender and try and make incidental bumping for the foul" move he does and it didn't work AGAIN (he got the foul).
Then the next series (?) he can't stop himself from arguing with the assistant coach standing by the Laker bench, is warned by the ref who has to step between them who Demarcus ignored and then couldn't stop himself from arguing more and got a useless Technical called on him (these are GUARANTEED to cost us a game later this year with him piling them up).
Think about that for a second - Demarcus is so incapable of stopping himself from arguing on the court that he will willfully cost his team entire games later this season WHEN he gets his 16th.
He's only 28% of the way thru the season, yet has piled up 56% of his allotted T's already!

I believe he followed all of that up later with a challenge of a free-throw line jumper, then he didn;t even bother to get back for the rebound and stood still at the elbow for 3 seconds as (Randle?) battled for the rebound amid our smaller guys and scored.

Further, Joerger has not demonstrated an ability to get through to Demarcus to help him keep it together when he gets upset.

Malone used to bring Demarcus aside and sometimes even yell at him to stop that poopoo!
Joerger does not have this ability, and therefore Demarcus is left on an emotional island out there with noone to help him back to shore when he sails off to The Sea of Emotion.

I really wish someone could teach Demarcus about the condition called ODD (Oppositional Defiant Disorder).
I'm convinced he has it (I recognize multiple behaviors that match my son's condition).
I mean...9 technicals in 24 games is quite a feat. He is most likely to break his record for a season at this clip.

I mean...9 technicals in 24 games is quite a feat. He is most likely to break his record for a season at this clip.
Demarcus has to figure that one out on his own. It's not like he's never been told to stop before. I like Cousins, but if I was coach, that would feel like a waste of my time and energy. Does it hurt the team? Yes. But so does having to constantly check one player's emotions when that time could be spent on coaching other players.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Demarcus has to figure that one out on his own. It's not like he's never been told to stop before. I like Cousins, but if I was coach, that would feel like a waste of my time and energy. Does it hurt the team? Yes. But so does having to constantly check one player's emotions when that time could be spent on coaching other players.
I don't think he will figure that one out, maybe elsewhere on a team with more of a winning culture, but here? I don't see it. You take the good with the bad and it's unfortunate that he is his own worst enemy but that's the realistic approach you take with him.

trade Gay for a former 1st round pick that's struggling but can has potential to turn it around (similar to WCS). It's time to cash in and yesterday it proved that

dude12

Hall of Famer
It's been a long time since DC played like he did last night. And if that is the DC we can be assured to get if Rudy doesn't play, then I'm all for trading Rudy. I'm really hoping that Sac sits Rudy for a few games. This is a perfect opportunity where you are looking out for his health and at the same time your seeing what the dynamics look like. That third quarter was so good.

It's been a long time since DC played like he did last night. And if that is the DC we can be assured to get if Rudy doesn't play, then I'm all for trading Rudy. I'm really hoping that Sac sits Rudy for a few games. This is a perfect opportunity where you are looking out for his health and at the same time your seeing what the dynamics look like. That third quarter was so good.
I hope he sits for Houston game. We will not beat Houston the way we play when Gay and Cousins play together. If you insert Casspi and Temple to bring activity and energy and if Cousins has a A game you may have a punchers chance. On the other side I don't think Memphis or Dallas has anyone that can handle Gay, so it might be better if he played those games.

Been saying and thinking for years Rudy should be either traded or coming in as 6th man on this team.

Their on court chemistry has gotten worse every year.
In fairness it needs to be said that Cuz is not a heavy contributor to team chemistry either. His turnovers, takes too frequent poor shots and his too frequent choosing one-on-one attracts on the basket all detract from team chemistry. Fortunately he scores a lot of points, gets rebounds, and makes amazing shots so he comes out a big plus. But he could be a lot better if he improved in these weaknesses AND team chemistry would be improved.

Last edited:
K

KingsFan80

Cousins is an incredible player. Every time I watch him in person I come away amazed. He literally dominated the Lakers last night and they had no answer. He was pushing Randle all over the court.

We have something special right now and the FO needs to get off their arse and get some talent around him.

Malone used to bring Demarcus aside and sometimes even yell at him to stop that poopoo!

Source : I've predicted almost every one of Demarcus' on-court meltdowns before they've happened, in real time.
Boogie and Coach Shaw were just talking a little trash, Ref got in the way: http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/12/13...-trash-talk-kings-center-promises-more-techs/

Randle was at fault as much as boogie all game long. Including when Coach Walton completely lost his composure and got ejected early in the game.

Check the score board,

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
trade Gay for a former 1st round pick that's struggling but can has potential to turn it around (similar to WCS). It's time to cash in and yesterday it proved that
Easier said than done

Plus I'm pretty sure if we traded Rudy and all we got in return was a "struggling former first round pick" like, say, Thomas Robinson, there would be a riot.

Yup DMC will miss a game. Just time it with a scheduled loss and heal up. He ain't changin.
Randle came from behind and stepped right in front of him with 0 space as he walked to the 3 point line. Not sure if that is normal behavior for big men, but I guess he wanted to guard Cuz really close. Anyways, go Cuz. Hate that laker scum!

You dont know what Joerger does or doesn't do behind the scenes