• No

Votes: 8 8.7%
  • Hell if I know, and you don't either.

Votes: 43 46.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
K

KingMilz

Nice to see Cousins channeling his inner Z Bo tonight and using the glass as a weapon and a variety of hooks/sweeping/spin moves.

WCS energy was amazing he could have had another 6-8 points if anyone else other than Rondo actually had court vision. Karl might finally be seeing the light by playing him over Kosta. This is a team in need of energy and WCS has plenty of it.

Rondo was crazy good

Not sure why Acy was not in the game to match up with Bass who was tearing us apart and Bellenli sucked again but aside from that pretty good effort.

It is interesting that Cole Aldrich played Boogie so much better than Hibbert who Boogie just destroys!
Aldrich is a minimum salary signing and the Lakers are paying Hibbert 15 million.
Nice use of cap space Mitch Kupchek o_O
Regarding Randle (from other thread) he is too undersized and goes left every time. He has no outside shot.
He reminds me of Derrick Williams before D-Will improved his jumper.
D-Will was beast mode at MSG tonight the fans were chanting his name :eek:
Randle is a good athlete but doesn't have length to finish inside and he is a straight line player with no creativity.
Willie has so much more "upside" and Willie can own the paint. Randle can only sub-lease the paint :)

Marco has made 9 out of 30 shots over the last 4 games.... WHAT A SCRUB!!! But that is not the bad news fans!
The bad news is that he is worse on defense than on offense. I really don't think Marco cares about defense.
He resigned himself to the fact years ago he could not stop anyone besides the random poke away or miracle shot block...
The defensive game plan of Marco can be summed in three words "hope they miss" :)

I actually like our team defense on a lot of possessions tonight.
I actually loved our ball movement on a lot of possessions tonight.
But what is that saying about a chain being only as strong as its weakest link?
The way Karl trusts Marco and gifts him minutes is the way Malone trusted Sessions and gifted him time on the floor.
The holiday season is over but apparently no one told Karl because he gifted Marco 21 minute of playing time :)
Marco needs a couple of DNP-CD to clear his head and maybe go to back to the homeland for a plate of authentic pasta and meatballs and vino
I know an Italian feast always makes me feel better :D

The best thing about Boogie's game tonight is that he was calm and composed while totally dominating.
And once he got 4 fouls on Hibbert he went right at him to get the 5th.
He tried that against Cole Aldrich and Aldrich wasn't taking that bait.

Omri was in a little mini slump on his three balls but I ain't worried. :cool:
He's just saving himself for the Atlanta Hawks :cool:
Thats 8 emojis in one post. One for each brick launched tonight by Marco (2-10). :)
I don't think it's fair to say that Marco doesn't care about defense. If there's one thing you can say about him it's that he puts in effort each night whether he's playing well or not. Some wing players just can't play defense. Especially if they aren't quick, athletic or strong.

I don't think it's fair to say that Marco doesn't care about defense. If there's one thing you can say about him it's that he puts in effort each night whether he's playing well or not. Some wing players just can't play defense. Especially if they aren't quick, athletic or strong.
The other thing is that the ball movement with him in the game was really good. I'd like if we tried to get him a bit more open instead of having most of his shots be off balance jumpers coming off screens. My issue with Karl having a shorter leash with Marco is that I'm not sure who would then come in for him. The less Rondo-Collison together the better. I also thought KK did a good job on defense in his first stint, but Bass is simply more mobile.

Say what you will about our defense, but offensively Karl has the team playing really well. Haven't seen this level of good ball movement on the Kings in many years. Having Rondo certainly helps, but I'm referring to the interior passing as well

Rondo's dunk was incredible but the patience shown by our guys on this play was the highlight of the season for me. Cousins didn't plow into Randle for an offensive foul. Rudy didn't settle for a lazy jump shot. This was Spurs-like team basketball. Such a beautiful thing.

Last edited:
Marco tries on defense, but he's just way too slow and unathletic to make an impact on that side...

The other thing is that the ball movement with him in the game was really good. I'd like if we tried to get him a bit more open instead of having most of his shots be off balance jumpers coming off screens. My issue with Karl having a shorter leash with Marco is that I'm not sure who would then come in for him. The less Rondo-Collison together the better. I also thought KK did a good job on defense in his first stint, but Bass is simply more mobile.
There was a recent article going around showing the most/least effective lineups used by the Kings. You should check it out. Sneak preview: Marco is not effective as a member of any backcourt duo and even worse when he plays SF in a small ball lineup. So not sure his ball movement is doing the team any good.

It is interesting that Cole Aldrich played Boogie so much better than Hibbert who Boogie just destroys!
Aldrich is a minimum salary signing and the Lakers are paying Hibbert 15 million.
Nice use of cap space Mitch Kupchek o_O
Regarding Randle (from other thread) he is too undersized and goes left every time. He has no outside shot.
He reminds me of Derrick Williams before D-Will improved his jumper.
D-Will was beast mode at MSG tonight the fans were chanting his name :eek:
Randle is a good athlete but doesn't have length to finish inside and he is a straight line player with no creativity.
Willie has so much more "upside" and Willie can own the paint. Randle can only sub-lease the paint :)

Marco has made 9 out of 30 shots over the last 4 games.... WHAT A SCRUB!!! But that is not the bad news fans!
The bad news is that he is worse on defense than on offense. I really don't think Marco cares about defense.
He resigned himself to the fact years ago he could not stop anyone besides the random poke away or miracle shot block...
The defensive game plan of Marco can be summed in three words "hope they miss" :)

I actually like our team defense on a lot of possessions tonight.
I actually loved our ball movement on a lot of possessions tonight.
But what is that saying about a chain being only as strong as its weakest link?
The way Karl trusts Marco and gifts him minutes is the way Malone trusted Sessions and gifted him time on the floor.
The holiday season is over but apparently no one told Karl because he gifted Marco 21 minute of playing time :)
Marco needs a couple of DNP-CD to clear his head and maybe go to back to the homeland for a plate of authentic pasta and meatballs and vino
I know an Italian feast always makes me feel better :D

The best thing about Boogie's game tonight is that he was calm and composed while totally dominating.
And once he got 4 fouls on Hibbert he went right at him to get the 5th.
He tried that against Cole Aldrich and Aldrich wasn't taking that bait.

Omri was in a little mini slump on his three balls but I ain't worried. :cool:
He's just saving himself for the Atlanta Hawks :cool:
Thats 8 emojis in one post. One for each brick launched tonight by Marco (2-10). :)
Didn't Marco and Omri one-two-thre hem with made three pointers in the second half to quickly widen the lead? Marco supplying two of the three. With Bellinelli I think it's the ones he makes that keeps him in there despite his low %.

Rondo's dunk was incredible but the patience shown by our guys on this play was the highlight of the season for me. Cousins didn't plow into Randle for an offensive foul. Rudy didn't settle for a lazy jump shot. This was Spurs-like team basketball. Such a beautiful thing.

Plays like this are why the Spurs have been so good no matter what random player they trot out on the floor. Great ball movement and unselfish play is just so effective against any sort of defense you throw at it. It's also a big reason why the Warriors have seen a meteoric rise the last couple years. MVP Steph along with Klay's shooting ability helps, but they play the same way. Always making the extra pass to get a quality shot.

As big of a critic of Karl as I've been, you have to give him serious props for our rotations yesterday. For the first time that I've seen we actually trotted out pretty balanced lineups and even went big for stretches with Rudy at SG. That, along with obviously improved focus on defense lately, makes me hopeful that we've turned the page. Regardless of whether Karl is shifting his mentality or allowing others more say in it, he deserves the kudos (and is a big reason why Cuz seems much more happy and locked in this month). THIS is the George Karl I was hoping we'd see this season.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
As big of a critic of Karl as I've been, you have to give him serious props for our rotations yesterday. For the first time that I've seen we actually trotted out pretty balanced lineups and even went big for stretches with Rudy at SG. That, along with obviously improved focus on defense lately, makes me hopeful that we've turned the page. Regardless of whether Karl is shifting his mentality or allowing others more say in it, he deserves the kudos (and is a big reason why Cuz seems much more happy and locked in this month). THIS is the George Karl I was hoping we'd see this season.
I was told that Karl mentioned on Grant's show before the game that this was going to be "Corliss' game to coach"...

I liked how we almost always had two of WCS, Cuz or Koufos in the game, Gay played most of his minutes at the 3.

What he did was take out WCS and insert Koufos and then WCS came back to give Cuz rest.

I was told that Karl mentioned on Grant's show before the game that this was going to be "Corliss' game to coach"...
Interesting, considering Corliss was the one Kayte interviewed during the game. If true, is Vlade grooming his "all-ex-Kings" crew for different positions throughout the organization? Now, just need to hire Doug as defensive coordinator and Scott Pollard for head cheerleader!

I liked how we almost always had two of WCS, Cuz or Koufos in the game, Gay played most of his minutes at the 3.

What he did was take out WCS and insert Koufos and then WCS came back to give Cuz rest.
Yeah, my jaw almost hit the floor when Cuz went out at 2 minutes in the first quarter and no other than WCS checked in for him. I had to do a double take, but apparently it was a sign of things to come!

I thought the play where the Kings were on the right side of the TV screen, passed it around, getting Lakers out of position until it ended with a drive from the far baseline and a pass into a wide open KK for the dunk was a better example of unselfishness and finding the open man.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I'm not sure if I like "interesting" with this. Every day, it never fails, some oddity out there. Do you have any idea what Karl's intent is here?
Grooming an eventual successor?

Or maybe it was George's way of saying "this is what Corliss has been urging me to try all season, so tonight we're going to coach it his way and see what happens."

Bench

Stats: 19min 6pts (2-10, 2-5, 0-0) 1reb 3ast 1stl 0blk 0TO
Belinelli ( D+ ) -- just somehow cannot put his shooting game together, and it goes on and on. Fully half a season now of bricking and bricking shots he should make. Gets the little grade he does because once again, as it always seems with him, he briefly pulled it together to knock down back to back threes as he and Omri hit their only threes of the night in a run that briefly opened up a lead for us in the 3rd. But other than moving the ball, after that he was right back to missing.
This has happen too frequently for him this season. Perhaps, we are expecting too much of him. His strengths are catch and shoot in open situations. Many of his shots now require a quick release right around a pick off balanced or off his own dribble drive.

Solid team win, WCS plays, Lakers lose, and we officially get (and hopefully keep) the 8th spot? Yes, please. Don't stop there, though...let's move up a spot or two so that someone else can play the Warriors in the first round.

I thought the play where the Kings were on the right side of the TV screen, passed it around, getting Lakers out of position until it ended with a drive from the far baseline and a pass into a wide open KK for the dunk was a better example of unselfishness and finding the open man.
Deciding what play was a better example of unselfishness seems like a very good problem to have. :)

The problem I have with this assessment is that players who care about defense are more physical in nature. Marco is too passive, too caught in the middle of plays in no man's land. It is pathetic. I don't think it is an hyperbole to say he is a terrible defender. Marco ranks 425 out 431 player in RPM so any criticism that he receives is probably justified.

I can grant to you that he cares about defense since my comment was obviously tongue-in-cheek but the end result of his effort is one of carelessness because he is like the matador with the red cape.... OLE!

I try to be selective about my criticism of the team so when it comes to other guys like Rudy I have given him mostly a pass because he can a highly effective second scoring option despite his mental lapses. With Darren when fans were brutal I never came down on him when him RPM was in the dumps and he was struggling with new role.

My assessment was Darren was too pure of a shooter and too fast not to make an impact.....and that is just what we have seen. Last night when the Lakers closed the game to 5 points deficit Darren nailed a corner 3 then made a lay-up by using his blazing speed and a couple of minutes later we had a comfortable lead.

Darren is quietly having a very good year with a 15 PER, 4th best scorer in the league off the bench. He uses his quickness to create space. This is the difference between him and Marco. Marco can't create space as easily and so when he does get looks they are rushed or off-balance. I think Seth can do better if given equal minutes.

The best thing I can say about Marco is that he is getting more open shots than he was earlier in the year. He's bricking but doing better job in context of offense to get open. Is that a positive? Perhaps. He needs to get his confidence back and he lost it. He needs to be a 55% TS player or better to make up for his horrible defense. His TS% is 52.6. Last year it was 55% and year prior 60% when he had career best year with Spurs.

We have witnessed Boogie go from meddling player in December to a force in January so maybe there is hope for Marco but if you are confident he can become a consistent and reliable rotational player you are more confident than I am.

There is just not a lot of room from error with this guy. My best case scenario is for Marco to play well for 10 to 15 game stretch so we can trade him, if not before the deadline then this summer.

The problem I have with this assessment is that players who care about defense are more physical in nature. Marco is too passive, too caught in the middle of plays in no man's land. It is pathetic. I don't think it is an hyperbole to say he is a terrible defender. Marco ranks 425 out 431 player in RPM so any criticism that he receives is probably justified.

I can grant to you that he cares about defense since my comment was obviously tongue-in-cheek but the end result of his effort is one of carelessness because he is like the matador with the red cape.... OLE!

I try to be selective about my criticism of the team so when it comes to other guys like Rudy I have given him mostly a pass because he can a highly effective second scoring option despite his mental lapses. With Darren when fans were brutal I never came down on him when him RPM was in the dumps and he was struggling with new role.

My assessment was Darren was too pure of a shooter and too fast not to make an impact.....and that is just what we have seen. Last night when the Lakers closed the game to 5 points deficit Darren nailed a corner 3 then made a lay-up by using his blazing speed and a couple of minutes later we had a comfortable lead.

Darren is quietly having a very good year with a 15 PER, 4th best scorer in the league off the bench. He uses his quickness to create space. This is the difference between him and Marco. Marco can't create space as easily and so when he does get looks they are rushed or off-balance. I think Seth can do better if given equal minutes.

The best thing I can say about Marco is that he is getting more open shots than he was earlier in the year. He's bricking but doing better job in context of offense to get open. Is that a positive? Perhaps. He needs to get his confidence back and he lost it. He needs to be a 55% TS player or better to make up for his horrible defense. His TS% is 52.6. Last year it was 55% and year prior 60% when he had career best year with Spurs.

We have witnessed Boogie go from meddling player in December to a force in January so maybe there is hope for Marco but if you are confident he can become a consistent and reliable rotational player you are more confident than I am.

There is just not a lot of room from error with this guy. My best case scenario is for Marco to play well for 10 to 15 game stretch so we can trade him, if not before the deadline then this summer.
So, what did Marco do to you? There has to be something. A sordid love triangle, an acrimonious family spat in Italy...you can tell us.

Seriously, I think Marco has off nights, but I don't think he's terrible. He doesn't have me screaming at my television like Kings players in the past have. Some of his passes are very fluid, probably partially from his time playing with the Spurs. Could we upgrade? Sure. Is he a flaming bag of poop? I don't think so, personally.