• No

Votes: 8 8.7%
  • Hell if I know, and you don't either.

Votes: 43 46.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat

We were weebling. We were wobbling. Then we reinserted Cuz and Rondo, and in about 3 minutes the game was over. Its a good thing peeps to be the team with Stockton and Malone for once.

Boxscore

Stats: 33min 16pts (6-9, 2-3, 2-4) 6reb 3ast 2stl 6blk 2TO
Summary:poked his head up here and there, made good defensive plays, had a key little run with Rondo finding him repeatedly in the third.

Gay ( B ) -- there was only one mini run of offensive impact in this one for Rudy in the third, as Rondo began to find him on the break and at the three point line. But he wasn't forcing and ineffective the rest of the time, he was just rarely used (9 FGs) and mostly involved in trying to slow Kobe, who only plays decent games against us anymore. But being Rudy, many of the few things he did on offense were nice, and for those who look further than the scoring column in a boxscore and may have noticed that big number at the right of Rudy's line, yes, that ties a career high. I'm not 100% sure its accurate as these weren't help blocks out in space but rather the result of Rudy once again being scrappy around the defensive backboards, helping Cuz especially on scrums around the defensive glass. A cynic might note that Rudy's sudden emergence as a hustle player roughly coincided with the rumors of a possible trade, but regardless of its cause, he's been helping in ways other than scoring for several weeks now as we've begun to come online. A final interesting note: in the third quarter I think for the first time this season, and maybe in Karl's tenure, for a few minutes we went BIG with the old Malone Rudy at SG trick, next to Omri, WCS and Cuz. Karl's coaching seems to be undergoing a little morph here as well.

Stats: 29min 12pts (5-8, 0-0, 2-4) 10reb 1ast 2stl 2blk 0TO
Summary:exciting game for Willie having a major impact wiht his live body around both rims. Third star of the night.

Cauley Stein ( A ) -- was very active right out of the gate, and it caused the smaller Lakers problems. Was still showing no touch around the rim except on dunks again, at times reminding one of the last tall guy to hold that spot -- bad hands, no rim touch, who does that remind you of? Except this time in all other ways Willie was dynamic. He returned for the end of the quarter and came up with a beautiful help block over the top of Koufos, and had great activity around the boards and rim getting his hands on ball after ball. In the third even smoothly hit a little jumper from Cuz, as if it was a normal shot for him, despite us only seeing it a handful of times all season. Added an oop from Rondo, and there was not much to dislike here. Watch in future games to see how Karl uses him too, because tonight George Karl seemed to have turned a page on smallball, and kept us big with Cuz/Willie, Cuz/Koufos, and Willie/Koufos for most of the night.

Stats: 35min 36pts (13-22, 0-0, 10-12) 16reb 3ast 1stl 1blk 2TO
Summary:not a huge energy game, and for much of the night I was not loving the defensive effort. But just a man amongst boys inside, and powered home the win.

Cousins ( A- ) -- I wasn't sure at all the long layoff was doing us any favors as Cousins became one of a bevy of Kings to start sluggishly and even airball (well just miss the rim entirely and bounce it off the glass) a little 15 footer. And if you notice that little minus next to a 36-16 statline its because he also got off to a slow defensive start, and seemed reluctant to commit, likely for foul avoidance reasons. He never really would come online and be his most effective defensive self, but he put such an unfair offensive whipping on the Lakers, and almost entirely inside, that any defensive sluggishness was soon forgotten. What we saw a lot of were the sorts of muscular o-boards and clever skilled finishes around the rim that we have seen too few of this year with the big guy parked out next to Ben and Rajon at the 3pt stripe. But tonight it was there all night long for highlight worthy finishes, and his little jumpers were back to elbow work rather than 3pt shots, and were splashing down after that first airball. He did make a really bad play at the end of the first half, getting stopped in the last 30 seconds, then picking up a frustration foul, his 2nd, sending the Lakers to the other end of the floor for FTs, and costing us our 2 for 1 at a time when the game was still close. But he went right back to work in the third, and when he returned with Rondo in the mid 4th, there was a noticeable pop as he led a big surge to suddenly, and abruptly, end the Lakers chances. 31.7pts 13.7rebs for the month, which are flat MVP like numbers.

Stats: 18min 6pts (3-6, 0-1, 0-0) 2reb 0ast 0stl 0blk 1TO
Summary: started the game off well as an early contributor, but another of those half games, came out i the third getting beat, sat, and was it

McLemore ( C+ ) -- for most of the first half Ben was an actual positive out there for us, and was mixing in some very nice high level a basketball plays with occasional "doh!" plays. He started things off with a nice gliding slash from Rondo, but next time down tried it again and it was a turnover. Made a very nice saavy behind his back hustle save to Rudy to trigger a break. Then airballed a corner three. Added a beautiful spin move drive in the late half. But sometime around there is when it started to go sideways again for him, he made multiple defensive mistakes in the final minutes of the half allowing Kobe and Williams to score, and things did not rebound after half. He got leveled by Hibbert early in the third, then lit up by Clarkson. Then Lou got by him too, and just like that, he was out and his night was over.

Stats: 34min 11pts (5-10, 0-1, 1-1) 5reb 17ast 0stl 0blk 3TO
Summary:started off the game just flat off with his passing, yet by the 3rd was flat maestroing, and hsi return with Cuz was what sealed it for us.

Rondo ( A- ) -- another player where you weren't sure how the layoff had effected him. Started off the game and his passes were just OFF, and he knew it. Threw a terrible alley oop pass to WCS that missed by 3 feet, and when he tried the same thing a couple of plays later, it was well off target too, but gathered up by Willie. A few minutes later he became the third King of the first quarter to airball a shot. But around the I haven't played any ball in a decade and have lost all feel, miscues, Rondo began to have himself a game. The assists piled up, and the Lakers defense parted like the Red Sea on multiple occasions, of which he took full advantage, darting straight down the lane to the rim. On the most memorable of these occasions he made the decision to go up for a big dunk down the lane, but came down awkwardly and took a hard near belly flop fall onto the hardwood for a +1 play. There were still passes off target, and too many bad risks taken, but somehow the turnovers didn't pile up, and in the third Rajon just began finding everybody as those assist totals spiked again while we made our first attempt to open the lead. As we once again gave away a good lead he would have to come back along with Cuz in the 4th to save the day though. He found the big guy, and hit several open jumpers after the return to help us quickly blow the game back open.

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Bench

Stats: 19min 6pts (2-10, 2-5, 0-0) 1reb 3ast 1stl 0blk 0TO
Belinelli ( D+ ) -- just somehow cannot put his shooting game together, and it goes on and on. Fully half a season now of bricking and bricking shots he should make. Gets the little grade he does because once again, as it always seems with him, he briefly pulled it together to knock down back to back threes as he and Omri hit their only threes of the night in a run that briefly opened up a lead for us in the 3rd. But other than moving the ball, after that he was right back to missing.

Stats: 30min 9pts (3-11, 1-7, 2-3) 9reb 0ast 0stl 1blk 3TO
Casspi ( D ) -- if you want to see the limitations of +/- as a stat, look no further. On the night you can clearly see the huge impact of Boogie and Rondo, but if you follow the numbers you would conclude that Omri was kicking as and taking names too, and it just wasn't so. He was actually kind of a rambling wreck out there. Missed his first three, but hey, at least did not airball it at a time when everybody else was. But went to the drive in the final seconds of the quarter and hit it. One of the few good and comfortable looking decisions he had on the night. Missed all his threes in the first half, and even got hit in the face at the end of the half, and missed his first FT. Finally hit his first three from 25 feet with 4 min to go in the 3rd as he and Bels were awful all night, but pieced together that one single run (and not coincidentally it was one of the few times we broke open the game). Made a contribution to our final push when he got a +1 on a shaky block/charge call to push the lead back to 11. of course if they made that call against Boogie I would have been upset, but at least something good came of it, for us. Still was not enough to settle him as he went on to get called for multiple travels as he got scared to shoot, He grabbed some boards, which you barely noticed, but mostly he looked uncomfortable almost the whole night.

Stats: 13min 4pts (2-4, 0-0, 0-0) 7reb 0ast 0stl 2blk 2TO
Koufos ( B- ) -- gave us an edge for a few minutes in his first stint as he and Cuz were just too big and he was getting easy little tips and finishes with size. Good defensive effort in the first half, but after reentering in the late 3rd immediately beat by Bass for a spin move+1 and could not contain Bass's unlikely push. Got blocked inside on the called play to begin the 4th, and after a few minutes as we wobbled and threaten to lose our whole lead, was replaced as Cuz and Rondo rode int o save the day.

Stats: 21min 10pts (3-5, 1-2, 3-4) 2reb 0ast 0stl 0blk 1TO
Collison ( C ) -- really had done very little in this one for 3 1/2 quarters, and was in the game late largely just because we had run out of options -- Ben had re-pumpkined, and Marco would have lost to most of this board in a game of horse, and then in the mid quarter DC came up with a key little burst, hitting a corner three and scoring out on the break to open up the lead quickly and keep the Lakers from getting a taste of a late lead. That was largely it for DC while the main 4 guys took care of business, but it was enough to contribute.

Stats: 2min 0pts (0-0, 0-0, 0-0) 1reb 1ast 0stl 0blk 0TO
Anderson ( INC ) -- just the final two minutes of garbagetime, stayed out of the way.

Stats: 2min 0pts (0-2, 0-1, 0-0) 1reb 1ast 0stl 0blk 0TO
Curry ( INC ) -- just the final two minutes of garbagetime, threw up a couple of shots that did not fall.

Stats: 2min 2pts (1-2, 0-0, 0-0) 0reb 0ast 0stl 0blk 0TO
Acy ( INC ) -- just the final two minutes of garbagetime, but after missing a long facing jumper, came back and got one of his calssic rim rattling dunks as punctuation.

Last edited:
Good game. The Lakers made their run; we stood tall and didn't cave (this time). Finished strong. Feels good.
Two questions:
Why does Karl leave Omri in the game for so many minutes when he's playing like crap? I like Omri, but he hasn't earned the right to play a whole game when he's making mistakes right and left and can't make his shots. He's OK on defense, but not good enough to balance out the rest that we saw tonight. When Omri doesn't have his game going, Acy needs to get those minutes.
Why does Karl continue to play Bels significant minutes when he's not hitting his shots? When his shot isn't falling, he the weakest link in our defensive chain. He either needs to be making his shots, or he needs to be one of our cheerleaders. When Bels doesn't have his game going, Curry needs to get those minutes.

I

Im Still Ballin

This is by far the best streak of Cousins career

6-3 in January, should be 7-2 and even 8-1 if we showed up against New Orleans

It is interesting that Cole Aldrich played Boogie so much better than Hibbert who Boogie just destroys!
Aldrich is a minimum salary signing and the Lakers are paying Hibbert 15 million.
Nice use of cap space Mitch Kupchek o_O
Regarding Randle (from other thread) he is too undersized and goes left every time. He has no outside shot.
He reminds me of Derrick Williams before D-Will improved his jumper.
D-Will was beast mode at MSG tonight the fans were chanting his name :eek:
Randle is a good athlete but doesn't have length to finish inside and he is a straight line player with no creativity.
Willie has so much more "upside" and Willie can own the paint. Randle can only sub-lease the paint :)

Marco has made 9 out of 30 shots over the last 4 games.... WHAT A SCRUB!!! But that is not the bad news fans!
The bad news is that he is worse on defense than on offense. I really don't think Marco cares about defense.
He resigned himself to the fact years ago he could not stop anyone besides the random poke away or miracle shot block...
The defensive game plan of Marco can be summed in three words "hope they miss" :)

I actually like our team defense on a lot of possessions tonight.
I actually loved our ball movement on a lot of possessions tonight.
But what is that saying about a chain being only as strong as its weakest link?
The way Karl trusts Marco and gifts him minutes is the way Malone trusted Sessions and gifted him time on the floor.
The holiday season is over but apparently no one told Karl because he gifted Marco 21 minute of playing time :)
Marco needs a couple of DNP-CD to clear his head and maybe go to back to the homeland for a plate of authentic pasta and meatballs and vino
I know an Italian feast always makes me feel better :D

The best thing about Boogie's game tonight is that he was calm and composed while totally dominating.
And once he got 4 fouls on Hibbert he went right at him to get the 5th.
He tried that against Cole Aldrich and Aldrich wasn't taking that bait.

Omri was in a little mini slump on his three balls but I ain't worried. :cool:
He's just saving himself for the Atlanta Hawks :cool:
Thats 8 emojis in one post. One for each brick launched tonight by Marco (2-10). :)

Good game. The Lakers made their run; we stood tall and didn't cave (this time). Finished strong. Feels good.
Two questions:
Why does Karl leave Omri in the game for so many minutes when he's playing like crap? I like Omri, but he hasn't earned the right to play a whole game when he's making mistakes right and left and can't make his shots. He's OK on defense, but not good enough to balance out the rest that we saw tonight. When Omri doesn't have his game going, Acy needs to get those minutes.
Why does Karl continue to play Bels significant minutes when he's not hitting his shots? When his shot isn't falling, he the weakest link in our defensive chain. He either needs to be making his shots, or he needs to be one of our cheerleaders. When Bels doesn't have his game going, Curry needs to get those minutes.
Omri was off shooting the 3PT, but he did good in keeping Kobe in order. He also worked well on the boards and had an impressive block. Belinelli I understood less, because Karl did not actually need rapid fire scoring in this game.

So nice to see the KINGS take care of business and do what a team with aspirations of making the postseason should do --- close out an inferior opponent on the road.

To me, this was the first of a 2-part test. Tomorrow is part 2. If they can pull out the game tomorrow, they will have demonstrated some much needed growth.

They MUST win 2 of the next 3 home games and 3 for 3 would be ideal.

I

Im Still Ballin

Benching Marco would be irrational and people on here would probably fault George for doing that. Trust in consistency and the players. Marco attracts a lot of attention on the court and it does no one any good to not play him.

We're going to stick with Marco. He is crucial to our flow. Expect Karl to maintain his minutes.
Looking at his +/- stats this season, It's not so clear how good he is for our flow. Of course, stats don't always give the whole picture.
But as the unofficial spokesperson of coach George Karl, I guess you know what you're talking about.

8th seed! Who woulda thunk it?

Took an extremely bad shooting game from Omri and Belli for this one to even be close at different times. Those guys hit anywhere close to normal, we blow this one out.

More importantly, we took care of business against a bad team on the road. We're learning how to win on the road and play at a high level. Crucial for our development going forward.

It is interesting that Cole Aldrich played Boogie so much better than Hibbert who Boogie just destroys!
Aldrich is a minimum salary signing and the Lakers are paying Hibbert 15 million.
Nice use of cap space Mitch Kupchek o_O
Regarding Randle (from other thread) he is too undersized and goes left every time. He has no outside shot.
He reminds me of Derrick Williams before D-Will improved his jumper.
D-Will was beast mode at MSG tonight the fans were chanting his name :eek:
Randle is a good athlete but doesn't have length to finish inside and he is a straight line player with no creativity.
Willie has so much more "upside" and Willie can own the paint. Randle can only sub-lease the paint :)

Marco has made 9 out of 30 shots over the last 4 games.... WHAT A SCRUB!!! But that is not the bad news fans!
The bad news is that he is worse on defense than on offense. I really don't think Marco cares about defense.
He resigned himself to the fact years ago he could not stop anyone besides the random poke away or miracle shot block...
The defensive game plan of Marco can be summed in three words "hope they miss" :)

I actually like our team defense on a lot of possessions tonight.
I actually loved our ball movement on a lot of possessions tonight.
But what is that saying about a chain being only as strong as its weakest link?
The way Karl trusts Marco and gifts him minutes is the way Malone trusted Sessions and gifted him time on the floor.
The holiday season is over but apparently no one told Karl because he gifted Marco 21 minute of playing time :)
Marco needs a couple of DNP-CD to clear his head and maybe go to back to the homeland for a plate of authentic pasta and meatballs and vino
I know an Italian feast always makes me feel better :D

The best thing about Boogie's game tonight is that he was calm and composed while totally dominating.
And once he got 4 fouls on Hibbert he went right at him to get the 5th.
He tried that against Cole Aldrich and Aldrich wasn't taking that bait.

Omri was in a little mini slump on his three balls but I ain't worried. :cool:
He's just saving himself for the Atlanta Hawks :cool:
Thats 8 emojis in one post. One for each brick launched tonight by Marco (2-10). :)
Yes, but what do you think about Marco's play? :)