[Grades] Grades v. Hawks and Ourselves 2/10/2017

Ok, how in the hell do you grade Demarcus Cousins tonight?

• A?

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • B?

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • C?

Votes: 16 25.4%
  • D?

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • F?

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • I don't care, I hate him

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • I don't care, we won

Votes: 31 49.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat

Because we can look like absolute roadkill one moment, but you damn well better put a pickaxe through our brain while you have a chance, or we'll get up and chase you down.

Link to Boxscore

Afflalo ( C- ) -- while we were the walking dead out there, occasionally would put forth a 1 on 1 effort that occasionally bore some fruit, but we were more dynamic without him.

Cousins ( C ) -- I mean, this is impossible to grade, so let's just split the difference. For 3/4 played one of his worst games, or maybe it was "played" because he was just shuffling and did not look like he wanted to be there. TOs, dumb fouls, no D. A legitimate and ridiculous F through 3. And then Joerger made the call to bring him back down the stretch, and he took over the game, scored 12 points in 6 min, fouled out Howard, and brought effort on both ends. So...

Koufos ( D ) -- Kosta might have an excuse with that nasty knuckle injury of his, but he was poor, had no touch on offense, and we were poor with he and Cuz shuffling about moaning "brains!" for 3/4. did do a nice job breaking up an alley oop attempt ment for Howard however.

McLemore ( A ) -- loses a "+" here simply because nobody w s mentioning that Hardaway Jr. was lighting him up the other way. but that minor detail aside, this has to be right up there with best games in Ben's career. He finally hit those threes, a career high number of them in fact. He dove back on the boards, grabbing 9, he notched 4 steals...I mean, if his guy had not scored 28, there would be a "+" to this A.

Collison ( A- ) -- not as good as the perhaps career-with-Kings best outing last time, but given that he had no backup and was called on to go nearly the entire game, and still had it in him to get the game winning layup in the final seconds, still a great effort

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Barnes ( C ) -- don't know what was up, but seemed to come right into the game looking for a fight. Got overupset at an early foul call against him, which I think was even correct, and I had to flip announcers for awhile with Napear in full stick the knife in the back and twist it mode. But funny thing was, at some point the distraction became feisty, the anger turned to fire, and he helped us launch our comeback with defense and tough boards.

Cauley Stein ( B ) -- just damn solid and using that length again. Some good experience in there vs. Howard, and he blocked him off the boards a few times. The Hawks seemed to be more ready for his offense, but scored anyway.

Tolliver ( A- ) -- and so his run of f-u bricklayer! games continues after I called him not talented, as he did what he is supposed to do, which was bomb threes, including some contested ones, and gave us a superior defensive effort to help power our comeback.

Richardson ( INC ) -- he only got his first half stint again, as the games keep getting tight, and Ben was great this time out. Hit a three to start the 2nd, did not get taken advantage of, but no other production.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I chose "I don't care, we won"... Coach had the faith to put him back in at the end. And at this point, I'm okay with whatever Joerger decides. You can trail the pack the whole game, but if you cross the finish line first you get the trophy. Cousins did what we needed him to do when we needed it to be done. That's the heart of a true competitor. He doesn't need a grade IMHO.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Missed the game, but I'm interested in the Cuz talk, because strictly going by box score, it looked like he was awful.

9 TOs.... 8 3pt attempts on horrible percentages?

But I imagine he had some late game heroics, or his grade wouldn't be up for debate in the poll.

That said. .... wow, 22pt comeback? We might go on a little run soon if we can figure out how to not get down in the first place!

Have we come back from 15 down to win this year (not counting this one)? I know we've come back from way worse than that, only to fall short but I can't recall us winning any of the big come back games.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Missed the game, but I'm interested in the Cuz talk, because strictly going by box score, it looked like he was awful.

But I imagine he had some late game heroics, or his grade wouldn't be up for debate in the poll.

That said. .... wow, 22pt comeback? We might go on a little run soon if we can figure out how to not get down in the first place!

What he was was beyond awful for 3/4. Irredeemably bad seemingly. Then he came back in with 6min to go and scored 12 points down the stretch and made big plays, before we saavily used him as a decoy so DC could hit the game winner.

Kings broke the franchise record for threes made in a game. Previous record was 16 and they had 18 tonight. Seemed overlooked through the whole game.
I nearly asked that question in my last post. Glad you brought it up. I figured it had to be close to the franchise record

Funny, but I attended a game back in 1989 when the Kings set a then NBA record with 15 made three against the Warriors. That game was on February 9th -- nearly 28 years to the day.

Kings broke the franchise record for threes made in a game. Previous record was 16 and they had 18 tonight. Seemed overlooked through the whole game.

Relates to Joerger's odd answer about shooting threes tonight.
I really didn't get Joerger's response to the 3 question. For those who didn't see it, he was asked about the 18 3s and instead of praising his guys, he said something like, "how do I put this delicately, we thought we had to shoot them from the perimeter."

I took it to mean they weren't getting any calls inside.

That said. .... wow, 22pt comeback? We might go on a little run soon if we can figure out how to not get down in the first place![/quote]

the game winner.[/quote]

At some point earlier in the season, Cousins passed up Richmond for Turnover-Master, most in Franchise history. 9 tonight is much too much; heck 6 is too much, but the Kings pull it out.

Cuz was 0 of 6 from 3pt and had 10 pts & 7 TOs when Joerger gave him the nod for his 4th Q stint... :eek::)
He was also about 50% from the line and carried a baggage of 5 personals...:eek::)

Then he took control of the game, avoided his own 6th foul, pinned the 6th foul on Howard, and made both 3s and both FTs in cruch-time (100%!),
scoring 12 points in 6 minutes to secure the win.

What a winner!!

Last edited:
Lakers fan here and first post on here.

My younger brother is a Kings fan. My gosh your team puts him in the funniest of moods. Taken him to plenty of Kings-Lakers game in Arco/Sleep train. Is the Golden One center as amazing as everybody is making it out to be?

And gradewise, DC7 gets an A+++.
First welcome to Kingsfans. As for your brother, yes Kings fans are prone to fits of depression and supreme highs. My forum handle should sum it up nicely.