Grades v. Grizzlies 03/22/10

Hope we win how many? (@NJ, @BOS, @CLE, @IND, @MIN, POR, SAN, LAC, SA, HOU, @LAL)

• 0-11 -- time to tank baby!

Votes: 11 13.1%
  • 1-10 -- time to tank, but still let's whip the Lakers

Votes: 20 23.8%
  • 2-5 wins -- let's beat the weaker teams...and maybe the Lakers

Votes: 21 25.0%
  • 11-0 -- let's kick *** and chew bubblegum and screw the draft

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • Don't really care as long as we play hard

Votes: 21 25.0%
  • My socks smell like goat cheese.

Votes: 6 7.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
We were outscored 68-35 to finish this one. That ladies and gents is how you lose a game.

Theme: You Want the History of Tanks, you get the History of Tanks

Greene ( C- ) -- another day another spot start for Donte, who could not contain Gay in the early going, got into foul trouble, and saw most of his minutes go to a variety of SFs who really didn't earn them either -- we were back in our play every SF on the roster 10 minutes each mode. Got an alley oop dunk from Hawes to start, and that was really the highlight. Overpowered by Thabeet in the post, and while his positioning looked good, Gay was too good early. Added a layup off the cut for his only other score. Short minutes after half, and think his final act may have been getting picked in the open court when he got careless with the ball.

Armored Elephant -- the idea behind the tank has been around for thousands of years. Seige towers were kind of armored tanks of a sort. So were knights with thier horses in barding. Perhaps the closet ancient match would be war elephants, decked out in armor, and with a seige tower (i.e. a "turret") attached up top. Big, heavy, armored, capable of punching through enemy lines,and wiht a firing turret up top? What does that sound like?

Landry ( B+ ) -- interesting game in both the good and bad. Got off to a very slow start, notching only a single layup from Beno before picking up 2 fouls and heading to the bench. Back in at the end of the first and nearly committed his third foul in bumping Haddadi out of the way for his second score. Began the 2nd repeatedly taking advantage of that matchup inside and out. Had a +1, a layup, a long jumper. Added a nice spinning post move over Arthur late in the quarter after the Grizzlies had roared back into it. In the third fouled by Thabeet as the big guy leapt in the air and came down on his head/back. Good block on Gay. Picked up his 4th foul on a missed FT as he and Nocioni combined to pin BOTH of Thabeet's arms to get the d-board. Westphal again id his defy fate thng and let him on and of play through the fouls, and he added a side pop. Hit the side pop. You could say he was deuling with Randolph, except really did most of his damage against others. The Haddadis, Arthurs, etc. And rebonding was a wipeout again (rebounding last 3 games: 2, 6, now 5 -- Zach had 12). With our offense collapsing we continued to zip him in and out n the 4th trying to squeeze every last point we could out of him and got some scatted production, but not enough. A Landry FT at the 6:00 mark was kind of our last hurrah, as is closed the gap to 1. We would get outscored by 16 down the stretch. Again a very effficent night, not taking many more shots, but just hitting a high percentage of them 9-13 on the night. Effectively our goto guy on the night, but at some poont you have to take into account that his opponent more than matched his scoring, and doubled him up on the glass as well.

Da Vinci Tank -- you know, Leonardo da Vinci was one of history's great geniuses -- maybe THE great genius. The dude painted the most famous painting of all time, was an expert in a dozen fields, and ivented the helicopter...in the 15th century. He rocked. But I'm not sure this one would really go up on his wall of fame. Same idea though. Had wheels underneath, and people powered of course (I presume there were holes in the floor to walk around Flintstones style). But its the same tank idea.

Hawes ( C ) -- back at the beginning of the season Memphis came to Sacto, Thabeet came off the bench, and within a minute of entering Spencer was able to upfake and drive by him, at which point Lionel Hollins instantly pulled Thabeet and never returned him to the game. A ridiculous bit of coaching by Hollins to be sure for a rookie top draft pick, but also an indication of the Brad Milleresque way that Spencer could try to attack the giant. But tonight he was never able to sustain any sort of counterattack of that sort, was invisible on the glass, and turned in a pretty middling 13pt (on 6-13 shooting) 4reb performance that was more than countered by Thabeet the other way. Stepped outside for the jumper over Thabeet to begin, got fouled on the cut. Reteated to the three point line ofr his only three and bricked it. Beat everybody down the flloor and dunked. Jumper from Beno after returning in the 2nd. Missed the long jumper on the final shot of the half for us. Did nothing at all in the third before being replaced, and in the 4th other than doing a good job blocking a ball right out of Randolph's hand to start a break (on which he eventually got down the floor for an offensive board and mised follow) it was all misses. Finished by airballing a running hook. The rebs were especially probelmatic thoguh, because frankly Landry cvan't rebound to save his life, and our starting C and PF combined for 9 tonight in starters minutes (compared to 19 for the Grizzlies' duo). Its hard to hang in there with numbers like those.

Simms Motor War Car (1902) -- It wasn't long at all after the invention of the automobile that we humans, fascinated as we always are with new ways of killing each other, quickly saw the possibilities and got the bright idea of hey, what if we wrapped a big sheet of steel around this thing and mounted some guns up top?

Cisco ( D+ ) -- just did not have it tonight. Actually started this one hitting a long three, but the inability to hit anything would eventually be his story tonight. Hit Donte on the cut, intimidated by Thabeet along the baseline and turned it over. Got an o-reb and missed the follow jumper. Nice steal at midcourt and went down for a dunk. Missed the jumper out of the timepout at the 2:30 mark. Started the third with tow more missed jumpers. Came up with a nice defensive play with a block on Mayo after Landry got a block on Gay. Bad pass turnover after turning down the shot. Miscommunicated with McGuire and another bad pass turnover to close the 3rd. MIssed 3 more jumpers to starte the 4th. Blocked a shot by Brewer, got out in the open court, and...picked from behind by Conley. Finally got the give and go layup from Landry after looking unsure how he wanted to proceed. Missed two more threes down the stretch, and watched Mayo explode in his face to blow the game open. Not his night. Get's a little grade for some defensive hustle.

Levavasseur Project (1903) -- and as early as 1903 a French captain had seized upon the idea of using tracks instead of wheels and drew up sketches that look amazingly like modern tanks to this day. Of course like most people ahead of his time, his idea was scuttled by old guys higher up in the pecking order who considered it impractical and preferred to stick to riding horses to battle. Probably the same dudes who built the Maginot line.

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Udrih ( B+ ) -- started off this one on a terror, picking right up where he left off in Clipperland, and even looking at one pint as if HE were going to threaten a triple double -- this mind you from a player who has never once, in 414 career games, notched double figure rebounds. But tailed badly after half as we abruptly woke up, realized that we were tryign to win gmaes wiht a Beno Udrih/Carl Landry 1/2 punch, and scored only 33 points. In the early going went right by Thabeet for a layup, feed to Spencer on the cut, missed the long jumper. Inside for an offensive rebound. Spin drive and swatted into tommorow by Thabeet. Little stop and pop. Anothher stop qnd pop, then another dish to Spencer for a jumper. Missed the layin but by the end fo the half was sitting on 12pts 5rebs and 7ast and making a bid for best player on the floor again. It would only be 6pts 2reb 3ast the rest of the way however as there was no 2nd half impact. Started decently with a little layup along the baseline. But then began to turn it over -- got stripped on the drive starting a Memphis break, had a no look dropoff turnover after running into Thabeet, remmebering how that had gone last time, and deciding not to shoot it. Hit a couple of his little jumpers,then turned it over yet again as our first half offensive general turned back into Beno Udrih. In the 4th stole a pass as the Grizz tried to get the break going, and hit the little J. But that was really it for production. Missed another jumper, and did not matter s the Grizz blew the game open in the final 6 minutes. Westphal implied that he may have run out of legs on the back to back. Possible. Also possible the Grizz just got tired of being whipped by Beno Udrih and locked in. You know, this was a big game by Beno's standards, and probaly way up there on the career scale. 18pts 7reb 10asst? But it was mostly a first 18 minutes explosion, and then nothing much at all after half. And so even though careerwise its probably got be up in the As somewhere, I think the overall impact was more B+.

Little Willie -- the horror of WWI gave the tank idea fresh urgency, and during the years of that war the prootypes went from being mere modified tractors like this one, designed to roll through barbed wire and over trenches whiel able to absorb enemy machine gun fire...

Bench

Thompson ( D+ ) -- this was just an ineffective performance. Completely ineffective. Not sure of the reason really. Maybe Thabeet really bothered him, maybe Randolph's power did the trick. But he also spent a lot of his minutes in there against the Haddadis and Arthurs and at no point did he consistently get much done. Started off well enough, attacking Randolph, getting fouled, and hitting both FT. But then missed a jumper, got blcoked by Thabeet inside, and was inviisble on the glass -- a particular problem with both Landry and Hawes wussing it up themselves up front. Got a dunk on the pass from Udoka, and tied up Haddadi for a jumpball. But was plagued by foul trouble. Picked up his 5th foul in the 3rd quarter getting run over by a Thabeet freight train dunk and if he returned thereafter, he was even less noticeable. 17 minutes, and had nearly as many fouls (5) as points and rebs combined (6). I plussed him here just because while he was out there, before looking at his numbers, this game did not feel quite as depresing as a D.

Renault FT-17 -- ....until by the end of the war they looked like this, which is to say the modern tank confirguration (alebit tiny and with a little pop gun for a turret).

McGuire ( C ) -- we apparently decided to add yet another body to our roation because he has looked good in practice. And maybe he has. But there was not much here tonight in the game. Came in and immediately grabbed a good o-reb after entering, but tried to flip it over Thabeet and nope. Was back for part so both the 3rd and 4th and grabbed a few boards -- almost as many as Hawes/Landry in 1/3 the time -- and played good defense. But never did score or have much of an impact. Gentleman's C here.

Char 2C -- in the years immediately after the war the French experimented with the massive Char 2C -- at 34 feet long and 13 feet tall the largest tank ever built. But it was quickly obsolete as they realized that such a big slow beast presented far too easy of a target. Only 10 were ever built. Nonetheless in the early days of WWII they were presented as a squadron of invulnerable supertanks to cheer the French people during the war and given exaggerated characteristics. The generals knew better though and carefully kept them out of any real fighting. Rather than let the Germans capture them as demoralizing trophies as France fell, they ferried them south on railcars and attempted to blow them all up. One however apparently survived, adn was displayed in Germany until 1948, at which point it mysteriously disappeared. Some think it still survives in Russia's giant tank museum in Kubinka, just outside Moscow.

Udoka ( C- ) -- beat by Young immediately upon entering in what was to become a consistent theme during the game. Got a lot of late minutes with questionable production. Got beat by Young again to start the 4th. Grabbed a good o-reb as he again helped on the glass -- and he DID outrebound all three of our bigs. But missed the corner three, and that would be his other consistent theme -- only 1-6 on the night, although that was hte only one that was a three. Another o-reb but blocked from behind. Hit a jumper after Beno got doubled for his only score. Again beat by Young on the spin move. Got in there to jar a ball loose on a missed free throw. Blocked inside after he had to throw up a wild shot inside against the clock. Ran the floor, got fouled taking it to the hoop and had the +1 opportunity just roll off. Hit both FTs though. Offensive board, but missed the follow. Gave us the good phyyscial work on the glass, but couldn't hit a hot, uunusaually for him could not contain Sam Young, and combined with JT to singlehandedly (or I guess doublehandedly?) blow up the relevance of the +/- stat for all time, as those two guys both had +/- totals of +10 while the Landrys and Benos were at -11 and -17 respectively.

Sherman M4 Tank -- the famed Sherman tank of WWII, actually wasn't a terribly powerful tank at all and was overmatched by both the German Tigers and Panthers and the Russian T-34s. Basically the U.S. relied on overwhelmign the enemy with pure numbers, and produced over 50,000 of the tanks in WWII.

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Casspi ( C+ ) -- aggressive outing, but struggled to get the shots to fall, in particular taking a while to figure out the hmm...this guy is 7'3" maybe I shouldn't go right at him" dynamic. In to start the second after watching McGuire get the call ahead of him of the bench. Missed a jumper over Thabeet. Actually hit a three as we opend up our biggest lead. Lost control of a ball and went wildy across the paint. His full court heave to end the half looked like it had a chance and got glass. In the 3rd missed a little post flip he should have gotten. Stripped Thabeet down in the paint, but then challenged him back the other way and found out he was still 7'3", and blocked again. Learned for his mistakes though and came up with a good take to the bucket using the rim to shield off Thabeet. Finished off his night wit a couple of tough post moves he could not get to fall. Can't really call this a good outing, but he showed aggression and energy in it at least.

Merkava Mark IV -- by request: the Merkava, the main Israeli battle tank. I guess there is some debate in Israel about possibly discontinuing it, as it is mostly involved in police type actions and may present too big a target.

May ( C- ) -- summoned in for the final 3 seconds of the first half...for defense. :eek: Reason of course was that Landry had 2 fouls. Back in in the the third to protect Landry after he got his 4th. Got chased off a closer shot by Thabeet, then missed the longer jumper over him. Got an o-reb of a Casspi miss and followed it. Beat for a d-board on a missed FT.

M1 Abrahms -- of course the main battle tank of the U.S. army, brought into service in 1980, and projected to remain viable until 2050, some 70 years later. Not sure how they know that of couse, but that's the plan. Given how much humans love war, its funny in a lot of ways how our weapons technology had kind of stagnated, at least in comparison to many other fields. Of course guess that was always the way of things -- how many millenia did people smack each other on the head with clubs before they figured out that hey, if I just put an edge on it...

Nocioni ( D ) -- in one of those starnge Westphal substitution decisions abruptly got in for the first time in the game as the first man off the bench in the third. Started banging with various Grizzlies to mixed effect. Drove and swatted by Thabeet. Hit a three form Beno. Got back in out of the timeout with 3:15 remaining and attempted to save us with chuck and ducking. Took an obviously designed three, and missed it. Missed another. And another. Woohoo was I excited. In 10 minutes 1-7 from the firled, including 1-5 from 3pt land. Gets a little grade for the physical play back in the third when he was still at least trying to play rather than chuck.

Terminator 2 Tank -- and of course the inevitable result after we eventually figure out how to get the people entirely out of the tank and run them by A.I. The machines take over the world, and we are reduced to living in the sewers and trying to look cool in balck trenchcoats and stuff.

Last edited:
I voted 2-5, but I'm really hoping for 2 wins- beat the Lakers by 2-4 (Tyreke outplaying Kobe in crunch time) and blow out the Nets...cuz really, no matter how badly you wanna tank, you don't wanna lose to the Nets.

S

sactownfan

Even im shocked Beno had almost twice as many rebounds as Hawes... not to mention he out rebounded everyone else on the team.... WHAT!!!

I just want the team to play well, eclipse the 30 win mark, and then just play respectably the rest of the way. I don't think they can get a top 5 lottery pick so we go with what we get. Let this young core win some games together, give the young guys some wins under their belt, and see what we have going into next season. They should have won tonight, but they clearly ran out of gas. Tyreke is a huge part of this team's offense now, and they need him to help keep the game close and win them at the end.

I just want the team to play well, eclipse the 30 win mark, and then just play respectably the rest of the way. I don't think they can get a top 5 lottery pick so we go with what we get. Let this young core win some games together, give the young guys some wins under their belt, and see what we have going into next season. They should have won tonight, but they clearly ran out of gas. Tyreke is a huge part of this team's offense now, and they need him to help keep the game close and win them at the end.
Any team in the lottery can get a top 3 pick.

Any team in the lottery can get a top 3 pick.
Yea but exponentially what are the odds? I like our odds better if we were to get a free agent center to shore up our deplorable front line. Then we can worry about the other stuff... Yes, we have a Chance to get a top 3 pick. Is is liable to happen? The odds would suggest no. So the more likely scenario is a 7-9 pick and use the free agent money they have been hoarding. I think a 7-9 pick could be anything from immediate impact to 3 year wait and see what you got. Then again we should have gotten the #1 overall pick last time and we ended up with #4.With that kind of bad luck, we could start off with the 7th or 8th pick and end up selecting in the 2nd round...

Either way, if the Kings DO get a top 3 lottery pick, they will have their choice of the best big man available. If they pick 7-9, they will go best player available. I don't see the Kings tanking any games, because they're too proud to give anything less than their max effort. I don't blame them and I hope they finish with 30+ wins this season. Sure our lottery chances are made less, but the team's confidence is improved. Players like Hawes NEED encouragement. All our young players are under contract and will be back next year! Another year and this team will start to compete at a higher level than they do now. The most important position is center and you have to admit that Hawes has played very well the last 7-8 games. He still needs help on defense, but he is trying harder and playing better as the season wears down. Will Hawes be our center of the future? Hard to say but he will be A center of the future. Free Agency and the Draft will dictate if he is a starter or a bench player next season.

Last edited:

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I'll go ahead and say it if it makes it any better...

Why is Hawes getting outrebounded per 40 by Beno? Inexcusable.
You make it sound like this is a season-wide trend. It's not. Hawes is getting 8.2 rebounds per 36 this season. Beno is getting (drumroll please) 3.0 rebounds per 36.

If you want to look at just last night's numbers (per-40) sure, Beno was ahead 6.4 to 5.4, but it was one game. I think we've all pretty much already identified that consistent rebounding is one of the areas Hawes needs to work on. No need to overreact based on one game.

You make it sound like this is a season-wide trend. It's not. Hawes is getting 8.2 rebounds per 36 this season. Beno is getting (drumroll please) 3.0 rebounds per 36.

If you want to look at just last night's numbers (per-40) sure, Beno was ahead 6.4 to 5.4, but it was one game. I think we've all pretty much already identified that consistent rebounding is one of the areas Hawes needs to work on. No need to overreact based on one game.
Ah but if that were so what else would some posters post about?

Beating 'that team' is a bit much to ask, isn't it?? As long as we play hard that's all I care about. Last night we played hard for about 2 1/2 quarters...there's no way the team from Dirty South should have made a comeback that quick. I guess we wete just faking the funk to get the lead in the first place maybe, who knows. I just want effort, that's all!

I'll go ahead and say it if it makes it any better...

Why is Hawes getting outrebounded per 40 by Beno? Inexcusable.
Yea, even if Beno isn't in danger of losing the rebound, Spencer could just shove him out of the way to get the numbers instead of blocking out and then just pass it to back to Beno anyways :rolleyes:...

It's not always about the box score. :cool:

Yea, even if Beno isn't in danger of losing the rebound, Spencer could just shove him out of the way to get the numbers instead of blocking out and then just pass it to back to Beno anyways :rolleyes:...

It's not always about the box score. :cool:
I watch the games, and I watch Spencer getting outworked many a time. It's not always about the box score, but it is about effort and pride, being a good teammate, setting a good screen, not trying to slip for a shot when spacing isn't good, or before the defense has commited one way or another. :rolleyes:

Yea but exponentially what are the odds? I like our odds better if we were to get a free agent center to shore up our deplorable front line. Then we can worry about the other stuff... Yes, we have a Chance to get a top 3 pick. Is is liable to happen? The odds would suggest no. So the more likely scenario is a 7-9 pick and use the free agent money they have been hoarding. I think a 7-9 pick could be anything from immediate impact to 3 year wait and see what you got. Then again we should have gotten the #1 overall pick last time and we ended up with #4.With that kind of bad luck, we could start off with the 7th or 8th pick and end up selecting in the 2nd round...

Either way, if the Kings DO get a top 3 lottery pick, they will have their choice of the best big man available. If they pick 7-9, they will go best player available. I don't see the Kings tanking any games, because they're too proud to give anything less than their max effort. I don't blame them and I hope they finish with 30+ wins this season. Sure our lottery chances are made less, but the team's confidence is improved. Players like Hawes NEED encouragement. All our young players are under contract and will be back next year! Another year and this team will start to compete at a higher level than they do now. The most important position is center and you have to admit that Hawes has played very well the last 7-8 games. He still needs help on defense, but he is trying harder and playing better as the season wears down. Will Hawes be our center of the future? Hard to say but he will be A center of the future. Free Agency and the Draft will dictate if he is a starter or a bench player next season.
Linning the rest of the season won't affect what they do in free agency. I don't think 11 games are so important that it makes any kind of lasting affect on the team's development. It's more important that we take any additional lottery combos we can get our hands on, if it could make the difference between getting a player we could really use. My main point is that what's the harm really?

As far as lottery odds go, there not really that great for anyone moving up, but if you can better odds without much cost, then I don't see why not. I'm not really suggesting the team do anything about it per se, but rather that I'm rooting for them to lin.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.