[Grades] Grades v. Bucks 11/5/2016

Most thrilling development of the garbagetime? (which we PWned by 1pt!!!)

• Willie wakes up a bit. A bit.

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Farmar debuts, looks competent as anybody else, adds shooting

• Discovery of the Temple of Doom offense as our new second weapon

• Skal shows Skil. When Skal wasn't showing Skinniness.

Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Malachi hits a three. "Malachi" by the way means "my angel", so maybe we are saved.

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • George "Greek Shaq" Papagiannis plays stout D, does not get scored on for first 1.2 seconds.

Votes: 8 29.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Entity

Hall of Famer
That was Temple starting at PG.

Temple as a starting SG at a position that is not going to get many shots when Collison/Gay/Cousins are all out there is a much different proposal.
I think he is a better defender at this point as well. Afflalo just doesn't have the quickness anymore

They need consistent scoring and good FG% at guard like every team does. It has to be from either the 1, 2 or both, preferably both. They need their guards each to average double-digits. It cannot be the Cousins show game-in and game-out for the Kings to win.

K

KingsFan80

Gay is overrated now and injury-prone. His effort is inconsistent too. Some nights he looks like an all-start and other nights he disappears on both sides of the floor. Could care less if they keep him or anyone else. No team wanted his bloated contract, and will not get his player option matched with his suit-up ratio, no way. Management drafting has been so poor year-in and year-out its no wonder they keep bringing in new faces, but getting the same loser results. The new owner clearly does not want to pay ceiling prices for talent when injuries and fall-outs like Arenas or Webber occur, while the athletes want all-in security of max contracts. The NBA has allowed salaries to balloon too much. The end results for teams with poor organization and talent is ticket sales and revenue will get hit. Its an entertainment business with wins and losses as easy metrics, and its hard to pay to watch a loser. This season's draft problem started when last years team won 4 or 5 meaningless games when playoffs were already out of the picture that meant 2-3 draft positions. While that necessarily didn't ensure anything intrinsically, in general higher draft picks bring more latitude on draft day. And yet, when you have buffoons drafting poorly, draft positioning matters less. Kings organization stinks more poorly than their team; Ex-players may not be great executives. Pro sports are about as fickle as anything, and support as about as predictable as the wind. As long as you're winning everything is ok though.
Exactly...the problem is the talent. I have said this over and over but continue to get roasted on here. The Kings cannot afford to make mistakes in the draft, but yet it continues to happen regardless of the GM. Vlade has no clue what he is doing -- from Free Agent signings to Draft picks. Vlade cannot get a trade done and most of the NBA GMs do not like working with him due to this lack of understanding of the NBA salary cap etc. Vivek needs to step in and hire a new GM or we will continue to keep firing coaches and lose our franchise player (Cousins).

The past two draft decisions alone should be enough to get someone fired. Teams like the Bucks have made good draft decisions, we could have easily been the Bucks by taking solid young talent the past three drafts. (I understand one of the drafts wasn't on Vlade)

Vlade should have never been hired in the first place. Nobody in the NBA would have hired him based on his experience. I had more experience than him by just playing NBA2k then he does running an NBA team. This is on Vivek alone, he just wanted to get all of the fan base behind him so what does he do? Go out and hire a former player.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've finally reached the point, it's time to trade cousins. It's time to officially blow this thing up. However, as has been stated already, how can you blow things up and actually work towards a better team if we are the 49ers of the NBA? If Vivek turned into mark Davis and decided to actually fire everyone and get a knowledgeable GM, take a step back and let that GM build his FO the way he wants to then maybe kings fans would have some hope. I'm not seeing even a sliver of hope ANYWHERE because I think Kings fans know what we have in Vivek. It starts at the top and Vivek does not know what he is doing. I fear he can't even blow this crap storm up properly.

Last edited by a moderator:
To me, it looks less like a lack of talent and more like a lack of effort.

1. Watch the quality of screens our guys set and the quality all of our opponents have set. Watch how we fight through, over, or under compared to them.

2. Watch how we box out when a shot goes up.

Yes, we are getting a bunch of fouls called on us but the biggest problem I see is that after the first couple games the fundamentals especially on the defensive end are not being applied aggressively. Now I will admit before this year I stopped watching after they fired Malone and I picked up league pass for the kings after the first half of the first game because they were playing hard and that is what I wanted more then anything else consistent hard play on both ends. I have found more fault in our effort and game-plan then talent going all the way back several years so I might be seeing what I expect but our offense is stagnant again no moving just 1 kinda screen and then one on one. Our defense hangs off opening 3 point shoots and take the easy way around any screen well set or not and don't fight through to stay with their man meaning they have all day to decide to pass or shoot and so on.

Lakers dont bother me anymore - the primadonna is gone - that's all that matters - little to hate really.

So they might make 4th place in the division then you're saying....:) more power to 'em.

I am enjoying watching the Celtics run by Isaiah the All Star.
It makes me think of the 1-3-5 days with IT, Rudy and and Cousins all scoring the ball well.

To me, it looks less like a lack of talent and more like a lack of effort.

1. Watch the quality of screens our guys set and the quality all of our opponents have set. Watch how we fight through, over, or under compared to them.

2. Watch how we box out when a shot goes up.

Yes, we are getting a bunch of fouls called on us but the biggest problem I see is that after the first couple games the fundamentals especially on the defensive end are not being applied aggressively. Now I will admit before this year I stopped watching after they fired Malone and I picked up league pass for the kings after the first half of the first game because they were playing hard and that is what I wanted more then anything else consistent hard play on both ends. I have found more fault in our effort and game-plan then talent going all the way back several years so I might be seeing what I expect but our offense is stagnant again no moving just 1 kinda screen and then one on one. Our defense hangs off opening 3 point shoots and take the easy way around any screen well set or not and don't fight through to stay with their man meaning they have all day to decide to pass or shoot and so on.
So it sounds like coaching is the problem from your observations. When your rookies are all 3rd string, you've fkd up your draft. Who do the Kings have to turn to....horrible management is where it starts. As put so eloquently before, Joerger has to shine-up a big turd. Think it is a lack of talent and likewise effort. You saw them lose respectably against the Spurs, that's when the effort was there. The road losses are the talent side.

It makes me think of the 1-3-5 days with IT, Rudy and and Cousins all scoring the ball well.
Amazingly most hated IT on this board, it hurt letting him walk for nothing. Kings can't make that mistake again if Gay is going to walk you need to get something for him. Obviously same goes for Cousins.

Yep. It's sickening. He's averaging over 25/7 and shooting a great % from the floor. He would be perfect on our team.

I've finally reached the point, it's time to trade cousins. It's time to officially blow this thing up. However, as has been stated already, how can you blow things up and actually work towards a better team if we are the 49ers of the NBA? If Vivek turned into mark Davis and decided to actually fire everyone and get a knowledgeable GM, take a step back and let that GM build his FO the way he wants to then maybe kings fans would have some hope. I'm not seeing even a sliver of hope ANYWHERE because I think Kings fans know what we have in Vivek. It starts at the top and Vivek does not know what he is doing. I fear he can't even blow this $h!t storm up properly.
Carmichael Dave said on twitter that in two weeks Vivek will fire Joerger & Vlade and trade Cousins & Rudy, and add cupholders and flatten the pitch in the upper deck. Well, he said something like that anyway - I don't remember it EXACTLY

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Amazingly most hated IT on this board, it hurt letting him walk for nothing. Kings can't make that mistake again if Gay is going to walk you need to get something for him. Obviously same goes for Cousins.
Can't speak for anyone else, but I never hated IT. I just thought his shot selection was hurting the team and we'd be better off with a distributor at PG. He's the man now in Boston and he's taking more shots than ever, which is what he wanted. Kindof ironic actually that Mr. PACEketball is the one that made the decision to let him go when he really would have been the ideal PG for the George Karl high-octane offense he apparently wanted. Remember this is before we fired Coach Malone and a large chunk of us wanted a slow paced grind-it-out game built around Cousins and Gay isolation in the half-court and team defense. We got exactly that for about a month and then it all went up in smoke. And for that month, by the way, there was an equally large chunk of Kings fans that hated every minute of it and wanted Malone gone. So you see it had very little to do with Isaiah himself. Can't really say which side won the argument though because last season happened and now we're somewhere in the middle with a hybrid offense emphasizing Cousins as a playmaker, no PG (for the time being anyway), and no team to speak of really outside of Cousins and a bunch of rentals. We also have another young coach who needs time to impart his personality on the players.

There is a certain element of "you don't really know what you have until it's gone" for me regarding IT the All-Star. My first favorite King was Spud Webb and IT embodies that same scrappy underdog persona. But really the only former Kings I strongly regret losing are Tyreke Evans and Hassan Whiteside. That should be our three-headed monster right now. We'd be a physical mismatch nightmare for every team in the league. C'est la vie.

If we trade Cousins, I feel like it has to be at the end of the year. My reasoning? Unless we trade him to a team like Boston, Cousins will help any team's current record. For ex, let's say the Pelicans are 4-30 by trade deadline. They're willing to give us Buddy Hield, 2017, and 2018 1st round picks. By the time the season ends, they could very well be at 45 wins...making that pick invaluable.

As sucky as the Nets are, they're actually 2-4. The Wizards, Sixers, Timberwolves, Mavericks, Pelicans, and Kings are actually worse. There's also teams like Denver, Phoenix, and Orlando who could end up as bottom teams too. There's no guarantee that the Nets pick becomes a bottom 3.

This is why I think it makes much more sense to trade Cuz at the end of the season. We could trade Gay, McLemore, Collison, and Casspi at trade deadline though.

I think he is a better defender at this point as well. Afflalo just doesn't have the quickness anymore
Afflalo should be the last guy on the bench getting the league minimum in some kind of mentor role.

Otherwise he doesn't belong on an NBA court.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
No, most didn't "hate" IT. Right or wrong, I know I and a number of others didn't see him as a starting PG with us and he made it abundantly clear he did not want to come off the bench.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
But really the only former Kings I strongly regret losing are Tyreke Evans and Hassan Whiteside. That should be our three-headed monster right now. We'd be a physical mismatch nightmare for every team in the league. C'est la vie.
But Tyreke cannot seem to stay healthy. Look at what New Orleans is dealing with right now. Knowing the luck of our franchise, you really think we'd have been better off?

As far as Whiteside goes, he showed less than nothing until he went overseas. There's no reason at all to believe he might have improved here.

Exactly...the problem is the talent. I have said this over and over but continue to get roasted on here. The Kings cannot afford to make mistakes in the draft, but yet it continues to happen regardless of the GM. Vlade has no clue what he is doing -- from Free Agent signings to Draft picks. Vlade cannot get a trade done and most of the NBA GMs do not like working with him due to this lack of understanding of the NBA salary cap etc. Vivek needs to step in and hire a new GM or we will continue to keep firing coaches and lose our franchise player (Cousins).

The past two draft decisions alone should be enough to get someone fired. Teams like the Bucks have made good draft decisions, we could have easily been the Bucks by taking solid young talent the past three drafts. (I understand one of the drafts wasn't on Vlade)

Vlade should have never been hired in the first place. Nobody in the NBA would have hired him based on his experience. I had more experience than him by just playing NBA2k then he does running an NBA team. This is on Vivek alone, he just wanted to get all of the fan base behind him so what does he do? Go out and hire a former player.
We're playing basketball in November not drafting. Let's get with the program. It's now.

immediately. first play.
It was worse than the fact that he got scored on so quickly:

He also fouled Henson for the And-1.

And he basically looked like he was rooted in his spot and time stood still while Henson (not known for quickness AFAIK) spun around Papa like while he was standing still.
Then Papa thought it was a good idea to slap Henson on the side while laying it in.

It was one of the more embarrassing (and horrifying, from a lack-of-talent-revealing angle) plays I've seen in awhile.

Carmichael Dave said on twitter that in two weeks Vivek will fire Joerger & Vlade and trade Cousins & Rudy, and add cupholders and flatten the pitch in the upper deck. Well, he said something like that anyway - I don't remember it EXACTLY
Yes, well I guess we are all a little out of our minds. It's not going according to script.