Grades v. Blazers 11/21

Most Disappointing Stat From Tonight's Loss?

• John Salmons' 8pts of invisibility

Votes: 6 9.1%
  • Brad Miller & Spencer Hawes 3rebs each

Votes: 11 16.7%
  • Donte Greene's 8pts on 3-10 shooting

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Blazers 14-26 from 3pt land

Votes: 24 36.4%
  • Down by 6 at half, 25 after three quarters

Votes: 23 34.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Greene ( D ) -- That dreaded down game that I was wondering about after last game -- inconsistency. Got spoon fed basically all of his points on the break, otherwise bricked everything and made no other real contributions. Think he had one score on a cut against the Blazers zone -- guess after playing at Syracuse (all zone all the time) you know how to beat them. Again no boardwork. Threw away a silly behind the back pass to Hawes with a minute to go, which at least shows he knows how to pass, even if not when. Very little here.

Thompson ( A ) -- best game of his young career with career highs in both boards and points. Very active on the glass in the first half, and grabbing them over Pryzbilla (who was crossmatched) which ain't easy. Had over half of our boards by half (9). Basically just outhusteld and outworkd everyone on the court in there. Boardwork fell off after halftime, but offense picked up. In the first half it had still been mostly garbagework based on the offensive boards. After half threw in short jumpers, posted up and scored over Pryz on one play (again not easy), and made some good passes as well. In the first half you again had to question his court vision as a passer when he completely missed a wide open John Salmons under the hoop and I think ended up with 0 assists. But after half he settled in nicely and was seeing plays as they developed. Of course a lot of the half was garbaetime, but still encouraging. Competed well against the Blazers big frontline, but its becoming obvious that despite his height he is not a shotblocker at this level at this point, and it was zero again out there for us.

Miller ( C+ ) -- very quiet first half with a few little jumpers, a couple of turnovers when he tried to do too much, and not a single rebound to be seen. After the break our offense was reduced to our "center" (so called because they are supposed to play in the center of the court/offense/defense) chucking up threes. Had a few brief spurts of greasing the offense, but was giving it all away on the other end. Played solid positional defense with his body, but scored over pretty easily around the hoop. Grabbed a grand total of 3 rebounds, which isn't bad when you insist on playing as far away from the hoop as Beno. Scored 16 points on 7-9 shooting, but as you can tell by the grade I did not like his game at all tonight. The softness was just dripping off of it as he ran further and further and further from the hoop passively floating up little jumpers, and then left Jason to fend for himself on the glass as well. Had the worst +/- on the team tongiht. Those things are often deceptive. This time it was not.

Salmons ( D- ) -- Have no idea what happened here -- John just did not show up. Got off to the slowish start wiht 4pts on 2-6 shooting in the first quarter, but little did you realize that was actually going to be his offensive fireworks for the night. On the other end was playing solid defense, but Roy was hitting some tough shots over him. Got to the rim a couple of times, but there was never any major push. Only real sign of life we had from him was unfortunately of the wrong kind after the blowout was underway in the third quarter. Seeing the rest of his teamates helpless to stop it, John decided to stop it singlehandedly himself. Which of course means the normal no passing forced shooting fugliness that normally results when John puts his head down and gets selfish. Otherwise...just never showed up. And after a couple of big games in a row, that's a mystery.

Beno ( B ) -- ran the team really well in the early going, but continues to refuse to guard the 3pt line, and got burned repeatedly because of it by Blake, first in man to man, then as the nearest man in the zone. Actualy even when he finally did crowd him on a couple of third quarter possessions, Blake still bombed them right in Beno's face. Sat out much of the second quarter with Bobby Brown going well, which kept his minutes down. Didn't do muhc after half, and got clocked in the jaw by Oden near the end of the 3rd, and went to the locker room thereafter. Hard to tell with that sort of injury, but he may have been doing the soccer thing. Definitely got hit, but you would have thought he'd been sniped by a high powered rifle. Did not return.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hawes ( B- ) -- strong second quarter on offense, hitting just about everything from everywhere. Even consented to attempt, and make, a hook in the post over a mostly ineffective Greg Oden. Blocked one of Oden's shots up against the buzzer too. On the other hand started to get lit up late in the half by LaMarcus Aldridge, and was getting nothing done on the glass. Offense dried up after half (did try Oden again, but no go), and the rebounding never did pick up, finishing with the same number (3) as noted softie Channing Frye, but in twice his minutes (34). Competed on defense with his length, and had a better mix of inside/outside on offense (better meaning a lot of inside), but the anemic rebounding holds this one down this time. He and Brad combined to grab 6 rebounds in 64 minutes tonight. Pryzbilla/Oden had 18 in 43 min.

BJax ( C ) -- seemed to be doing better out there than the numbers would have indicated in the first half. Was competitive and forcing the pace. But never could get the shots to fall this time out, and wasn't in a position to impact much running much of the time alongside 4 guys young enough to be his children (if he was a precocious teen).

Brown ( B ) -- Going to struggle with this grade, because there is a statistical anomaly that I first took for a misprint and cannot account for from my viewing of the game. Brown came in an beat the first quarter buzzer with a layup, and then had himself a big second quarter. It was all playground of course, all about the me and the I, but put his head down and drove and drove again with no fear of the Blazers big front line. So far so good. Had a setup assist on the break as well. However, and here is the baffling thing, came back to play the extended (and I do mean extended) garbagetime minutes, had a couple of more hits along with a couple of selfish forces, but according to the box score also notched up no fewer than a Nash-esque 6 assists in that final quarter. And that...I did not see. I would have been hard pressed to remember him making 6 passes, let alone 6 assists. remember one late, nice feed on the break under the hoop. But 6?? And a career high 7 assists? Can't account for it. Can only assume somebody in his camp bribed the official scorer, so am going to largely ignore it and go on what I saw -- an aggressive scorer largely looking for his own shot who had a couple of nice little dump off type assists along the way.

Douby ( C ) -- in for the garbage period (the 4th). Hit a couple of layups. Ineffective on defense and may want to note that Rudy Fernandez can really play and will light you up if you do not smother him on defense.

Williams ( INC ) -- only in for the final couple of minutes of garbagetime, as we went with Spencer most of the way. Missed a baseline jumper...actually don't remember the one he made. Anyway, not much.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Theus ( B- ) -- The way this one turned out surprised me. During a generally competitive first half I actually felt we were playing pretty good defense. Were hustling at least...everywhere but the 3pt line. And really it was just the Blazers hitting some great tough shots against us as much as anything. Blake was having a career night, Roy had some tough finishes, Aldridge got one to go while falling down away from Brad, etc. So if you had asked me at half, I would almost have predicted that the Blazers wouldn't be able to keep up that level of hot shooting, and that if we maintained our effort we would have a good shot. Er...damn. :eek: Some of the story can be told through a tale of two zones, theirs and ours. We started experimenting with the zone early in this one, and this was just not the night for it. Did you know that Portland leads the league in 3pt shooting % (and this even without their best in Martell Webster)? Well our coaches apparently did not. So we experiment with zone, and the Blazers just bombed the hell out of us for the favor. On the other hand, in the 2nd quarter the Blazers started to experiment with a 2-3 zone, and it really threw us out of rhythm. Not only that, but they, unlike us, found ways to continue rebounding even while in the zone. It was not all that went on in this game, but it was one of the storylines. In any case, best way to look at this is as another good kiddie development game. And here again the Maloofs war drums seem a bit misplaced. Reggie may need to go after the year, but he is flat out playing the kids (we'll see how it goes once everybody gets healthy). Tonight we had no fewer than three guys in their 1st or 2nd years notch 30+ min (Thompson, Hawes, Greene) and Bobby Brown got 24. That is what this season is truly about, and on that front at least, we did well. And so, no disastrous grade for this one. Game strategy maybe needs some work, but this is a rebuilding year, and Reggie coached mostly like a rebuilding coach.

Last edited:
Biggest disappointment today was definitely John Salmons thinking he could beat the Blazers by himself when the offense was running beautifully through Spencer, Jason and Brad.

On the other hand, Brad and Spencer need to rebound better. Especially Brad, he's just so slow....

Reggie, STOP PLAYING ZONE.
Please explain. Portland played as much or more ZONE than the Kings. The difference was the Kings were unable to shoot nearly as effectively from outside as the Blazers. Portland blistered every conceivable defense the Kings put out on the floor. Sometimes one team is just better than the other one - especially one missing its best player, another starter and valuable 6th man.

Please explain. Portland played as much or more ZONE than the Kings. The difference was the Kings were unable to shoot nearly as effectively from outside as the Blazers. Portland blistered every conceivable defense the Kings put out on the floor. Sometimes one team is just better than the other one - especially one missing its best player, another starter and valuable 6th man.
You are right that they are the considerably better team. I know the dominance of this game by Aldredge probably forced the Reggie to cover more in the paint. But POR was 14 for 26 in 3 pt shooting and are the best 3 point shooters in the league. I would rather have seen more defense against 3 hot shooters rather than 1 hot(not "sexy" hot) interior big man

I couldn't decide what to vote for...all those stats were disappointing. :(

Watching the TB does make me wish we had at least one shooter who could really knock down the three consistently.:eek:

Just my 2 cents here:

I think the Hawes grade is a little low. He did block Oden's shot 2x and also showed him up 1-2x in the post while on offense. He had the assignment of defending Oden, Pryzbilla and LA at different times and stayed out of foul trouble doing it. Oden was no big deal, while LA is the freakin' man. It was tough assignment and Hawes did pretty well with it IMHO. That is, it was not so much poor defense as LA is a great player who was having great night and I don't think I have ever seen Pryzbilla look quite that good. The Blazers' were making shots with the defenders right in their mug all night (while we were missing lay-ups and dunks).

I would give him a B to B+.

JT's grade is well deserved.

I'm not watching as many NBA games this year as I used to despite NBA LP, but from what I can tell, it's all about Rose, Beasley and JT from this draft class, at least so far? Too early to call JT pick a steal of the draft class?

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
JT's grade is well deserved.

I'm not watching as many NBA games this year as I used to despite NBA LP, but from what I can tell, it's all about Rose, Beasley and JT from this draft class, at least so far? Too early to call JT pick a steal of the draft class?

Mayo has been very good as well, and Gasol has been solid. And once Oden gets fully online he's going to be a load. Averaging something like 10pts 8rebs 2blks in 20min/game.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
The difference in the game was the three pt shooting of Portland. Some of their shots were wide open, and some were contested fairly well. It didn't seem to matter. They simply couldn't miss. Especially Blake. Aside from tackling him, I'm not sure anything would have worked.

When the Portland announcers said before the game that Aldrige was having trouble scoring so far this season. I said to myself, Oh Oh, were in trouble. Hawes actually played pretty good defense on him once he got the ball. The only way to defend Aldrige last night would have been to deny him the ball. Hawes did try to do that, but Portland set some nice inside screens to pick off Hawes just long enough to get Aldrige the ball.

Bottom line, is that Portland is just better than us right now. Especially with Martin and Cisco out. When a team is killing you on the outside and then has the ability to kill you on the inside too, your in trouble. You live with the three, and you die with the three. Last night, they couldn't miss.

This game can be very simple. Whomever puts the ball through the hoop the most times usually wins. When most of the balls thrown into the air inadvertantly go through the hoop, especially at great distances, further analysis is generally unnecessary. Stuff happens.

Did not see the game. Did Salmons just wear out after so many excellent games?

Mayo has been very good as well, and Gasol has been solid. And once Oden gets fully online he's going to be a load. Averaging something like 10pts 8rebs 2blks in 20min/game.
Count Fernandez in, too. But JT's definitely right in that top 7. Which means we should be seeing him on that rookie team in Phoenix. Hopefully taking on Spencer on the sophomore squad.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
This game can be very simple. Whomever puts the ball through the hoop the most times usually wins. When most of the balls thrown into the air inadvertantly go through the hoop, especially at great distances, further analysis is generally unnecessary. Stuff happens.

Did not see the game. Did Salmons just wear out after so many excellent games?
Not sure what happened to Salmons. Portland is pretty good at plugging up the middle, and John just didn't seem to like shooting from the outside. I just don't think he ever figured out how to attack Portlands defense.

The frustrating part was that the Kings did a pretty good job of getting points in the paint in the first half. Either by back door cuts, posting up, or offensive rebound put backs. For whatever reason, that stopped in the second half. The Kings didn't move the ball as well, and too many times settled for last second jumpers. I'm sure Portland had something to do with it, but not entirely. There just wasn't the effort to go inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.