Grades v. Blazers 03/09/10

Who's minutes tonight were the most random?

• Donte

Votes: 5 10.2%
  • Casspi

Votes: 18 36.7%
  • Temple

Votes: 9 18.4%
  • Noc

Votes: 8 16.3%
  • McGuire

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • May

Votes: 6 12.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Quit yer whining -- nothing the matter with this game besides the final score. Played the best defensive team in the West, a playoff team, tough in their own building. Just so happens we are the youngest team in the league and our lineup has been playing together for about 3 weeks. Not enough experience. Nothing more complex or sinister.

Alright theme on the short night will be very exciting: Fun Pistachio Facts

Boxscore

Greene ( B- ) -- interesting game for Donte marred by another long mysterious spell on the pine. Could not get anything to fall, but played a strong roleplaying game in all the other aspects, and this was a game where having by far and away the best +/- (+13) on the team was not a fluke -- he was filling in all the little holes for us while he was out there. In the early going got the ball on the inside and wisely pulled it back out against traffic, then turned and went back in for the short jumper. Got a block and saved the ball in to Reke to start the break. On the offensive board tipped a ball to Hawes fo a dunk. Then broke up and stole the inbounds pass and dished to Hawes for another dunk. Fouled on the break, hit 1 of 2 to tie it at 14. In and out jumper. Then rimmed out on the three. Nice entry pass to Landry. Was rewarded for his all around contributions with no minutes at all in the 2nd quarter (as we randomly fluttered about with Cisco, Temple, Casspi (for 4 minutes) and McGuire), the loss of his starting spot after half (to Nocioni, who did not even play in the first half), and no minutes in the 3rd either. Finally back to start the 4th, and in short minutes provided more of the same. Strong d-baord. Blocked the shot on the Blazers break. Missed the three on the Reke drive and kick. Sat down again as shifted Cisco up. Back in for a key defensive possession at the 2:45 mark. There's jsut a cap when a guy shoots 1-8. But they really weren't bad shots, as in forced shots. Just misses. And his defensive hustle and providing an extra 6'11" body on the boards tonight had us clearly winning his minutes, so this grade can't sink too far.

Pistachios are native to Iran, and the surrounding regions. Afghanistan is another major producer. And yes, that picture is from Iran -- here in the West we often only get pictures of a bunch of bearded medieval zealots running around making moronic statements, but there is beauty there too. And more importantly: pistachios.

Landry ( B ) -- missed his first jumper, and was getting scored over by the much bigger Aldridge in the early going. Got the inside move to go. Finished with a high arcing little teardrop -- he's the anti-JT with great touch and niftiness in there. Overpowered Cunnningham to the hoop when the Blazers briefly tried to go small against him. Then pinned Cunningham and did it again. In the second the defense on Aldridge picked up, althogh LaMarcus was also just missing shots he had been hitting before. Was grabbing the d-boards as well to finish off the possessions. Missed the jumper. Nice drive finding space in there and the dunk. Started the second half with another strong post move bouncing Aldridge back and laying it in. Had a good O-reb. Jumper from Reke. Offensive board and fouled around the neck by Howard. Missed the first, hit the second. As the Blazers did the boa constrictor squeeze late, we began to have a hard time getting it to him -- the passing lanes were closing, and at his size, and facing two near 7 footers in there (Camby and Aldridge) it was impossible to feed it in over the top. In the 4th got the steal up top after Cisco bumped a ball lose, and got fouled. Hit both. Not heard from again until hit by Reke at the 1:50 mark along the baseline, but he shuffled his feet trying to avoid the looming Camby. Another solid game, but not a factor late.

Did you know that pistachios are one of only two nuts mentioned in the Bible? Even God loves a pistachio. Archaelogical evidence suggests people were eating them as far back as 9,000 years ago. Please do not take the pic as proselytization BTW (against board rules) -- anybody who knows the least thing about my feelings on the matter would get a good laugh out of that accusation.

Hawes ( C+ ) -- well, Spencer is kind of like a box of chocolates -- you never know what you're going to get. Tonight he was solid on the glass, but fairly offensively incompetent. Started with a bad pass turnover trying to lead Beno to the hoop, missed the jumper but got it back and Dished to Donte, another bad pass turnover in the open court as we were sloppy early as we fell behind. Out of the early timeout as we fell behind, had a nice quick spin move in the post against Camby, got fouled, hit 1 of 2. Back to back dunks from Donte as we came back, the first on tipped to him, the second passed to him -- again the assisted dunk has become almost all his offense. Missed the 17 footer. Block from behind, but the Blazers got it back and laid it in. In the 2nd was doing a better job on the boards, but his only offensive appearance was a missed straight on three. Started the second half with a good feed from the 3pt line to Reke on the backdoor cut, and once again tonight his passing was a factor as he was second on the team in assists. Scored with the little half hook. In and out in the 4th, and when in screwed up. Airballed the side pop. On a big play down the stretch got the ball stolen from him by Camby up top. This wasn't a bad roleplaying game -- 7pts 9rebs 4ast 2blks, but I am not sure how I felt about it overall and the grade is a bit of a giveup.

Pistachio trees can grow up to be 30 feet tall, and a single tree produce up to 50,000 nuts a piece every two years (pistachio trees are biennial, meaning they produce much larger crops of nuts in alternate years). To harvest all the little buggers they get giant commerical shaking machines, and shake the hell out of the trees until all the nuts fall loose. Life as a pistachio is hard.

Udrih ( B- ) -- hot in the early going of this one until he got into foul trouble, but stepped back to become a Backseat Beno (TM) after half, and was in and out of the lineup late, I think because of defense. First score was a great drive through 4 Blazers for the layup. Got his jumper blocked from behind, but fell to Landry, who finished. Jumper over Miller. Then drained a three. In the 2nd knocked down yet another jumper, but then picked up a third foul against Miller. After half got a good steal on one end, took it down, and pulled up for the jumper. Jumper off the screen. Bit selfish with the jumper on the break,. Stumbled and turned it over up top leading to a turnover and open court layup for the Blazers. In the 4th airballed a three on the swing around the perimeter and was generally quiet. Got over powered by Roy and Miller on defense a few times, and Westphal seemd more comfortable with Cisco back there late. Just a solid little support game.

According to legend, pistachios were heavily featured in King Nebuchadnezzar's famed Hanging Gardens in ancient Babylon.

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Evans ( B- ) -- missed the pullup to start, beautiful open court spin move around Batum and over Roy. Blew by Cunningham for the layup to close the quarter. In the 2nd spun around Bayless who tried to flop and got whipped to the hoop instead. Missed the jumper. Scored over several times by the bigger Webster. Big power drive though Miller. Drive and fouled, and hit 1 of 2. Was off to the slow start in the other areas -- had 6pts 0reb 0ast midway throught the second. Started the 2nd half with a backdoor cut and was hit by Hawes for the layup. Missed the layup left. Out on the break with the layup. Poke steal. Took the d-board full court but got stripped on the way up for the finish. Drove, drew 4 guys, found Noc wide open for the three. Teamed with Noc for a good defensive possession. Strong d-board as he began to fill the statsheet as usual. In and out with the jumper at the quarter buzzer. Started the 4th as well as we worked him hard tonight -- 43+min. Kick to Cisco for the three to start things. Fake and power move through Webster. Drive and missed the layup, but hustled after his own miss and dumped to JT for the +1 finish. Blocked on the drive. Had to throw up the wild three against the clock on a broken play, barely drew board. Gambled for the steal and missed, releasing Batum for the layup -- been getting into a bit of a bad habit with those gambles in recent games. Tough dirve and missed in amongst 4 Blazers as Camby began to really assert himself as a shotblocker late. Blocked again on the drive by Camby. Got a bit of a gift call for the +_1 when he jumped into Aldridge at the 23 second mark to cut it back to 7. Finshed with a solid 18 6 and 6 game, but on only 8-19 shooting as he was dominant of the bounce as usual until late when Camby closed the lane, but again struggled with the J.

And of course who hasn't visited that famous tourist trap, the World's Largest Pistachio Nut sculpture in Alamogordo, New Mexico.

Bench

Cisco ( B- ) -- In early for Reke, not sure why, as it would be just about the only rest we would give Reke for the whole game. Drove and scooped to the hoop, but missed. Added a block from behind on Howard. Missed the jumper. Did little in his 3rd quarter minutes, but had an adventuresome 4th that was better than the numbers, but ended in late fail. Started the quarter with a three off the kick from Reke to start. Then came up with a good hustle save. Missed the three in the corner again from Reke, as those two seemed to have settled into that classic play -- drive, draw attention, find your shooter int he corner. Nice swooping drive. Was playing very energetic defense, and hsi imapct was better than the modest 7pts 2reb 2ast numbers. Bt got beat repeatedly by Roy down the stretch -- Reke had done a good job of caontaining him, no idea why we wnet away from that. Compounded things down the stretch by having one of those Cisco brain burps with a dumb drive into heavy traffic that got blocked from behind by Camby. Not horrendously productive, but as mentioned for a while there in the 4th his impact was bigger than the numbers. Beat and failed down the stretch however, so bumping himi back after initially bumping him up for the extar impact.

Did you know that because of their high oil and low water content that bulk shipping containers of pistachios are prone to spontaneous combustion? I kid you not. They're hot baby.

Thompson ( C- ) -- More clumsiness and turnovers by JT, but did make a few plays later in the game. Came in and immediately got stripped on a FT rebound by Roy, leading to a Blazers score. In the 2nd had a clumsy take and turnover. Another turnover on the 3 second call. In the 3rd got called for the illegal screen. Hit the side jumper. Missed the elbow jumper. Blocked inside by Camby as he just has none of Landry's nifty in there and laid it right out there begging for the swat. Got a help block himself on Howard with the good hustle. In the 4th good d-board to start. Drew the charge on Aldridge. Got the ball from Reke on a hustle play, slammed into a Blazer, got the +1 finish, but missed the FT. Only 13 minutes in this one, 4pts 2reb 3fls 3TO.

Legend has it that the Queen of Sheba lvoed pistachios so much that she commanded that the entire crop from her kingdom be brought to her. Of course we are not really sure if there actually was a Queen of Sheba, or if there was where this Sheba might have been. Medieval biblical interpretatiosn tried to place it in Ethiopia, more modern work has suggested Yemen possibly, or shocking as it may be, she might just have been made up. But whether random monarch or fictional character, the one thing we do know is that she was supposed to have a pistachio fetish.

Temple ( INC ) -- surprisingly got to start the 2nd quarter, and came up with a nice take along the baseline. Unfortunately followed with an airballed three from the right side. Got an offensive board and fouled, and hit both FTs. A miscommunication turnover trying to feed Landry in the post led to his exit, and he never returned as Coach again felt compelled to play all 12 guys 5 minutes apiece. I'm going to call this one to short to grade, as much because I am still a little unsure what the grading scale should be for a guy on a 10 day contract. But basically two good plays, and two bad ones. Not a bad outing and held his own.

Pistachio trees are what is called dioecious (have male and female trees), and the male trees are true studs capable of pollinating entire harems of a dozen or more female trees.

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Casspi ( INC ) -- in for the first time late in the 2nd and came with a good hard curling take, but got it blocked from the side by Webster. I guess that convinced Westphal that Omri must still be tired, because he only played 4+ mintues, was sent back to the bench, and again never returned. Whole thing is just odd.

Meanwhile the female trees can start producing nuts by their 10th year, and can continue for up to 200 years! At the rate of 50,000 nuts every 2 years, let's see, 190 years x 25,000 nuts a year = 4,750,000 nuts over a single trees lifetime.

McGuire ( INC ) -- in randomly in the second after Casspi left -- um, where was Donte? Missed a baseline J and generally got nothing done (again raising the where was Donte question). As an aside my brother back in Sacto ran into him at a sandwich shop out near the arean a few days ago. Said he seemed perfectly unassuming and humble.

The whole splitting open of the pistachio's shell is a trait that I guess humans have encouraged through breeding, and apparently happens all at once with an audible pop.

Nocioni ( C- ) -- Did not play a minute before half as basically everybody else on the rsoter was randomly thrown in there, and then jsut as randomly ended up starting the second half. I really have no idea what Westphal is up to right now. So anyway in to start the half, grabbed a d-board then airballed a layup on the break. Fouled Batum for the continuation. Hit a wide open corner three from Reke. Blocked in the post. Got out of control and charged over Roy. Stong d-board. Missed the three in the last 30 seconds as we were again in desperation time. Ended up 1-5 with the one hit beng the three, most of the vaious misses being ugly, and added a few strong d-boards.

Pistachios are members of the same family as cashews...and mangos. Even more randomly it is the same family that includes posion ivy, and all of them include the same irritant that the posion ivy does, urushiol, whcih some people have allergic reactions toward.

May ( B ) -- another ranodm substitutin -- in for the first time at the end of the 3rd, but gave us some decent minutes before disappearing back into the ether. Got called for the blocking foul early on Roy giving him the +1 (gee, be nice to have a shotblocker in this position instead to block the shot ratehr than try to take the charge). In the early 4th hit the long jumper. Caught a desperation Reke pass stepped back and hit another J. Got fouled on the break, and hit 1 of 2 at the line. Strong d-board in traffic. Minor, but thought he gave us a little boost in a quarter when we were having problems scoring.

There's a pizzaria in Philly that serves pistachio pizza. Not sure about that one.

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Say what you will, but Camby scares me more than Oden does on the defensive side of the ball.

Not anymore. Of course we have to see how Oden returns, but his defensive numbers were off the charts dominant this year, and he combines the physical beef with the stats. Camby is a great shotblocker, but when you really look at the history of his impact in the NBA...he's been on a lot of indifferent defensive teams that you would think would benefit more from having him as an anchor.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
?! He was HUGE at the end of the game...he had 5 blks, and he probably had 3-4 of them with 4 or so minutes left in the 4th quarter.
That block on Garcia was avoidable if Cisco hadn't had one of his usual JT moments and driven into the middle of four defenders. In fact, I think most of Camby's blocks were a product of our own stupidity than his prowess.

That block on Garcia was avoidable if Cisco hadn't had one of his usual JT moments and driven into the middle of four defenders. In fact, I think most of Camby's blocks were a product of our own stupidity than his prowess.
:confused: Even PW agreed...

"I thought our poise offensively down the stretch left a lot to be desired," Kings coach Paul Westphal said. "I thought that Marcus Camby, even though his stat line (six points, eight rebounds, five blocks and four turnovers) wouldn't knock your eyes out, really dominated the game for them on the defensive end and was very much the difference from where I sat."

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
:confused: Even PW agreed...

"I thought our poise offensively down the stretch left a lot to be desired," Kings coach Paul Westphal said. "I thought that Marcus Camby, even though his stat line (six points, eight rebounds, five blocks and four turnovers) wouldn't knock your eyes out, really dominated the game for them on the defensive end and was very much the difference from where I sat."
I think that everyone forgets how much of a force Camby was in his prime. He was a guy who threatened for a triple-double (getting blocks rather than dimes)the hard way a few times. Don't get me wrong he played a good game but by no means was he a domineering force in there like he used to be. In that sense I must agree with Brick's assessment.

Re: Donte Greene. I don't think I'd list him at 6'11" as if standing next to JT or certainly Hawes he's virtually equal to those two dudes in height. Officially Greene is 6'10" w/shoes and 6'9" w/o shoes. He has a 9'1" standing reach and 6'10" wingspan. I have no problem putting Donte at 6'10" but unless he's grown an inch or more that's the max. Likewise, Tyreke Evans is listed by the Kings at 6'6" - but at Memphis University he was tagged at 6'5." Apparently, he has actually grown a bit over the past year as he's officially listed at 6'5.50 in shoes with a wingspan at 6'11.25 - which is rather stunningly longer than Mr. Greene!

Source: http://www.draftexpress.com/article/2008-Nike-Hoop-Summit-Official-Measurements,-plus-2007-Analysis/

we need to quit running the high post offense. they use it too much and fail too much. once in a while spencer will make a nice pass and everyone has flashes of the glory years. our best high post offense play is believe it or not the pick n pop with sean may. its ok to run it occasionally but not every single freaking play especially when its not working.
what happened to dorsey is he in westphauls dog house. we need his spark off the bench. id rather have his defense, rebounding, shotblocking and toughness than sean mays perimeter shooting. not knocking may id just prefer defense. dorsey can score off put backs and tip ins and get us extra posessions.

Enlightment about pistachios. The depth and breadth of your interests never fail to amaze me, Brick. :D

BTW, I drive through some walnut orchards every day and they use tree shakers on those, too. To see them shaking really big trees! :eek: Those are some nasty machines! :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.