Grade the Kings draft

What grade do you give the Kings for the draft?

• A

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • B

Votes: 9 13.2%
  • C

Votes: 29 42.6%
  • D

Votes: 18 26.5%
  • F

Votes: 8 11.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Because we traded down for no reason. The $1mil doesn't affect the team operations, just the bottom line.

I absolutely would have traded down from 40, gotten a future 2nd, and taken James. Would have been really pleased with that result
The fact that you don't know the reason isn't indicative of there not being a reason. Just sayin'...

If they can be sold - they can be bought. And having $1.5M with which to BUY a second rounder is as good as having a second rounder as far as I’m concerned.

I’m glad Vlade picked the guy who - based on in person workouts - impressed him.

Look, all points that need to be made have been made. I completely understand where you and STD are coming from. I don’t “fail to understand your points”. I’m glad the forum permits expression of all views.

I happen to like an out of the box “eye test” pick and I have super low regard for professional mock draft bloggers.
And that’s fine. I don’t recall anyone criticizing your grade.

I would have signed off on this and, if it worked, given you a high five. But I also would have prepared myself for the possibility of that plan failing - simply because all it takes is one team that had James on their list and we didn't know about it. How many of us saw Vlade's list? Some of us were very confident that James had only worked out for 2-3 teams and was rejected by one of them. Then a James interview revealed that he worked out for a whole bunch of teams (or perhaps he is a big liar).
James had 11 teams. We know the Charlotte didn’t go well and he said 4 did besides the Kings. Of those 4 how many were drafting after the Kings at 40? Again the odds may be slightly higher but still fairly low odds. Nobody knows for sure but isn’t that why we have a discussion board?

James had 11 teams. We know the Charlotte didn’t go well and he said 4 did besides the Kings. Of those 4 how many were drafting after the Kings at 40? Again the odds may be slightly higher but still fairly low odds. Nobody knows for sure but isn’t that why we have a discussion board?
I have no horse in this race. Time will tell if the front office were right or wrong.

However, do you honestly think that a pre-draft workouts are the key criteria for a team drafting a player? I think you will find that teams are a lot more professional than that and look at the whole "body of work" as opposed to how the player's workout went. Everyone can have a bad day, that much is certain. Pre-draft workout is only a little part of the overall scouring and recruiting process and most of it is to do with getting to know the kid than it is about running them to complete a few drills.

So it is a little be far reached to rule out Charlotte as a possible team that would have drafted him just because he didn't have a good workout for them. It means very little in the scheme of things. Teams draft players without ever having worked them out all the time. Do you think the Kings worked out Marinkovic?

You are a classic. I salute you!

I have no horse in this race. Time will tell if the front office were right or wrong.

However, do you honestly think that a pre-draft workouts are the key criteria for a team drafting a player? I think you will find that teams are a lot more professional than that and look at the whole "body of work" as opposed to how the player's workout went. Everyone can have a bad day, that much is certain. Pre-draft workout is only a little part of the overall scouring and recruiting process and most of it is to do with getting to know the kid than it is about running them to complete a few drills.

So it is a little be far reached to rule out Charlotte as a possible team that would have drafted him just because he didn't have a good workout for them. It means very little in the scheme of things. Teams draft players without ever having worked them out all the time. Do you think the Kings worked out Marinkovic?
For European players sure. But most NBA teams in the second round workout players they are interested. It’s not like the first round picks who can be choosy about where they go.

For European players sure. But most NBA teams in the second round workout players they are interested. It’s not like the first round picks who can be choosy about where they go.
And in second round, a lot of teams don't even dig that deep in terms of their scouting unless someone really catches their eye during the year.

Facts are that James worked out for 11 teams. There were 21 teams that had at least one pick in the 2nd round so he worked out for 11 of those 21 teams (more than half). You ruled out all but 4 of those teams because the workout didn't go well which is rather selective. You are basically implying that those teams made their decision not to draft him because he didn't kill it in their workouts without absolutely ANY evidence to support this claim.

I am merely saying that teams do not make their decisions on whether not to draft someone based on their private workouts. There is a whole year of scouting (and in some cases more than that) that goes into whether the player is worth picking or not. Its not done at the back of a pre-draft workout with the team. To suggest that it does is quite frankly being ignorant.

And in second round, a lot of teams don't even dig that deep in terms of their scouting unless someone really catches their eye during the year.

Facts are that James worked out for 11 teams. There were 21 teams that had at least one pick in the 2nd round so he worked out for 11 of those 21 teams (more than half). You ruled out all but 4 of those teams because the workout didn't go well which is rather selective. You are basically implying that those teams made their decision not to draft him because he didn't kill it in their workouts without absolutely ANY evidence to support this claim.

I am merely saying that teams do not make their decisions on whether not to draft someone based on their private workouts. There is a whole year of scouting (and in some cases more than that) that goes into whether the player is worth picking or not. Its not done at the back of a pre-draft workout with the team. To suggest that it does is quite frankly being ignorant.
Their were 14 other teams who had a draft pick after the Kings. Whether those 14 were teams that worked out James, I can’t say for sure nor can you.

What I do know is he worked out for 1 (Charlotte) via the web and was 1 of 2 players replaced in the afternoon session and I know for a fact he did not work out for another because I know a person who was responsible for working all the players out. So if those 12 out of 28 teams were the part of the remaining teams we don’t know.

“I am merely saying that teams do not make their decisions on whether not to draft someone based on their private workouts.” I don’t think I ever said they based their decision solely but few American 2nd round picks are drafted who don’t work out.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Their were 14 other teams who had a draft pick after the Kings. Whether those 14 were teams that worked out James, I can’t say for sure nor can you.

What I do know is he worked out for 1 (Charlotte) via the web and was 1 of 2 players replaced in the afternoon session and I know for a fact he did not work out for another because I know a person who was responsible for working all the players out. So if those 12 out of 28 teams were the part of the remaining teams we don’t know.

“I am merely saying that teams do not make their decisions on whether not to draft someone based on their private workouts.” I don’t think I ever said they based their decision solely but few American 2nd round picks are drafted who don’t work out.
Well, we also know from James' interviews following the draft that he thought he would get drafted in the second round, and there were three teams that were after him. He doesn't say who those teams were, or whether they were picking before or after the Kings, but we can say this - there were three teams who picked between our #40 and our #47 picks who ended up trading out of that pick after we made our selection. Philly traded out of the #42, Miami traded out of the #44, and the Magic traded out of the #46. It is not out of the realm of possibility that one of those teams was targeting James and would have grabbed him before our #47.

Well, we also know from James' interviews following the draft that he thought he would get drafted in the second round, and there were three teams that were after him. He doesn't say who those teams were, or whether they were picking before or after the Kings, but we can say this - there were three teams who picked between our #40 and our #47 picks who ended up trading out of that pick after we made our selection. Philly traded out of the #42, Miami traded out of the #44, and the Magic traded out of the #46. It is not out of the realm of possibility that one of those teams was targeting James and would have grabbed him before our #47.
That is a fair point.