Grade the Kings draft

What grade do you give the Kings for the draft?

• A

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • B

Votes: 9 13.2%
  • C

Votes: 29 42.6%
  • D

Votes: 18 26.5%
  • F

Votes: 8 11.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
That's tough because I don't think they picked scrubs or anything but when grading value and need it has to be a D since they could have taken a super value pick and likely still come away with what they have. It's becoming more obvious that Vlade doesn't tend to venture outside of his bubble much and that can cost you. There are other ways to make determinations than laying your eyes and hands on something directly. The only way this totally works long term is if James or Guy can take that backup PG role. It's possible and they do fit next to Bogdan in theory. Defensively there are questions since neither Guy or James showed all that much on that end. I'm sure they see in James some of the same things they saw in Lavine and there are similarities but I'm not sure how they intended to fit Lavine into the scheme anyway.

I put C because I don't know. If one or more become functional members of the Kings, the grade should be higher. If none make it and someone picked after does for their respective team, the grade should be much lower.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Having only second rounders is a major crapshoot. Skipping the crazy lottery ticket potential of Bol Bol knocks it down from a C to a D.

Way to early to tell. If it was just Guy at 55 I would give it a solid B.
Picking two additional guards that most folks believe would have gone undrafted while intrigueing know players were still on board remains a headscratcher.

Entity

Hall of Famer
Hard to grade 3 second rounders. 1-2 actually become a roster player each year. So second rounders are grade later. But if we are grading on fit it’s a B

Way to early to tell. If it was just Guy at 55 I would give it a solid B.
Picking two additional guards that most folks believe would have gone undrafted while intrigueing know players were still on board remains a headscratcher.
The thing about prospects this late into the draft is the rankings become even more subjective. Also its the only sure fire way of actually securing the player b/c those prospects become FA's. I like the euro kid's highlights and he has a good frame to build on. Either way I would stash them in Stockton and give W. Gabriel a 1+1 (TO).

SLAB

Hall of Famer
They get an A from me just for tee’ing off all the fans who wanted them to do some certain thing.

I’m glad Vlade doesn’t just pick off the “next best available” from some blogger and make everybody happy
But the “Next best available” was once considered a lottery pick. It’s not like he didn’t pick Joe Schmoe #37.

As unlikely as it is because of medical red flags, the most talented dude was Bol Bol. In the second round you take that gifted lottery ticket.

dude12

Hall of Famer
I know Bol Bol was there and but there are obviously some medical issues going on there, bad issues.

James looks like a kid who brings some serious athleticism and handles the ball.....some PG skills in his background. I think if he pans out, was a good pick at going outside the box.

You can grade now but it just seems premature.

I can appreciate that Vlade goes against conventional grain, but this was his 5th draft and outside of two convincing top 5 picks and swinging for Bogdan and Harry the rest of his method and results are debatable.
Fair enough that this draft is too early to judge, Im excited about Guy, the Serbian kid looks scrappy and skilled in his clips and James had nice stats and will hopefully be a pleasant surprise.

They're second round picks who seem to fit what the team wants to do. It would be nice if they filled some sort of true need, like a combo forward or shotblocking stretch 5, but you can't really expect to fill those in this position.

If they get one of the 3 to become a 15 minute rotation contributer, it will be a success, so I can't be too unhappy.

Judging the picks based on "value" then it can't be better than a C. But I understand it only takes one team and the player you target is gone.

F

Pick 40
Many people thought James wouldn't get drafted. If that is accurate, trade the pick for a future second if you are going to use it on someone no one else would of drafted.

First thing I hear on KHTK from a reporter covering the Mountain conference with Doug was his surprise he got drafted.

Pick 47

Traded for 55 and cash

Good old Cash, just what I love to see as a fan. Just thrilled with this.....

Pick 55

Good odds Guy goes undrafted. See post above about the 40th pick. Should of traded the 47th for a future second if going to be used this way.

Pick 60

Vlade wants a Euro stash at 60? Fine I can accept that.

I gave it a D not because I think the players won’t succeed. No on really knows. But James could easily been signed as a free agent to a 2 way contract while we got more depth at SF with Roby or others.

i wonder which Gm has the unassailable draft record over the same years that Vlade has been in charge? Maybe somebody sticks it consistently in the second round but I am just very comfortable rolling the dice with the guy your scouts like.

Thomas Robinson and Ben McLemore always come to mind when I think of “guys who dropped so therefore Kings should grab”.

I don’t want them to try and be the only team that doesn’t realize why a player is dropping.

I think most likely time will tell that it made zero difference who the Kings drafted in 2019. But we’ll see

I gave it a D not because I think the players won’t succeed. No on really knows. But James could easily been signed as a free agent to a 2 way contract while we got more depth at SF with Roby or others.
That's true too, I pointed out how they should of traded it for a future second, but yeah selecting someone else is an option too.

i wonder which Gm has the unassailable draft record over the same years that Vlade has been in charge? Maybe somebody sticks it consistently in the second round but I am just very comfortable rolling the dice with the guy your scouts like.

Thomas Robinson and Ben McLemore always come to mind when I think of “guys who dropped so therefore Kings should grab”.

I don’t want them to try and be the only team that doesn’t realize why a player is dropping.

I think most likely time will tell that it made zero difference who the Kings drafted in 2019. But we’ll see
No one grading it low is commenting on the players. Heck people don’t know enough of the Wyoming kid to have an opinion.

The problem is that he easily could have been an undrafted free agent signing. To take him at 40 in a draft where 20-40 were considered equally talented is a poor use of draft capital. He did the same crap with PappaG which shows the stubborn man isn’t learning from his mistakes.

No one grading it low is commenting on the players. Heck people don’t know enough of the Wyoming kid to have an opinion.

The problem is that he easily could have been an undrafted free agent signing. To take him at 40 in a draft where 20-40 were considered equally talented is a poor use of draft capital. He did the same crap with PappaG which shows the stubborn man isn’t learning from his mistakes.
It will not matter. There is almost no way “blowing pick 40” will matter. We’ll see and you can say “I told you so” later when your guy blows up the league.

Also great psychic knowledge that nobody else would take Wyoming kid

I’d lean toward a C. We have a lot of youth with Marvin, Fox. I still like Wenyen and hope he can start getting some bench minutes. So it kinda makes some sense to try to go for some older picks

They get an A from me just for tee’ing off all the fans who wanted them to do some certain thing.

I’m glad Vlade doesn’t just pick off the “next best available” from some blogger and make everybody happy
I find myself both annoyed and amused at the lack of perspective so many Kingsfans have when it comes to their draft knowledge and preferences.

F

plain and simple

There was some great value available for virtually nothing. Warriors buy another 2nd for only 1.5 mil....that is NOTHING, a free swing of the bat. Kings should have got one of those. If nothing else we could field a more entertaining summer league team.

Should have rolled dice on Bol Bol to see if his legs can be fixed. If they can you got a potential star. Reason a smart franchise like Denver picked him up.

Then there is that Suns giveaway of #32 and Warren.

Major fail this year. Chances for improvement were there and not takin advantage of.

This poor performance may end up costing us a top free agent target who sees what we did and decides to sign elsewhere

Last edited:
Sorry, can't reply to others on this iPad.
Seems the Warriors take pretty good advantage of the 2nd round and falling players over the last few years. Patrick McCaw then Jordan Bell the following year.
Bell was frequently mentioned amongst posters and so called experts yet Vlade goes with Mason.
There's no consistent patterns here but teams like GS and Utah seem to get latter picks right more often.

The players in the evaluation don't matter. Obviously, we have no idea. 99.5% of people in the world had no idea who Justin James was.

But the use of assets and the draft itself was an F. I have a super hard time believing OKC wouldn't have dumped #21 with PPat and/or Roberson. Instead, JJJ gets an awesome front-court mate in Clarke and we get left wondering how they got an awesome future big man pairing.

I don't understand why everyone didn't jump at the T.J Warren trade +pick 32 for nothing. We were perfectly suited too to send them back some future 2nds and give them a better deal than they got from the Pacers. But, once again, mismanagement of assets thinking we'll actually be players in the Free Agency class. Vlade has missed several opportunities like this (DeMarre Carrol trade) where we take on contracts for picks in the past. It's something every small-market team should constantly be looking to do.

Passing on Bol Bol was really bad at 40. Don't care about the medicals, you take the 5% outcome that he taps into his talent and stays healthy. We easily would have gotten James at 47 if he was our dude. You put him on the Harry Giles program and see what he looks like in that 2nd season. If nothing comes of it, no harm no foul it's pick 40. But if he does hit his potential upside? Yikes.

The trade back to 55 just for cash is typical Kings. If Guy is your guy, actually get a future 2nd rounder that helps you in the future for trading back. We basically gave up 8 spots of equity for nothing because we knew that Guy was probably only on our radar.

Vanja was fine. Euro stash rights aren't a bad thing to have on the off-chance, but isn't an asset we'll see anything from remotely soon. Probably won't come over anytime soon from the little reading I've done. Still, we know better than anyone that pick 60 isn't a throwaway pick with IT. It's still an asset to make use of.

Bol’s red flags are more than medical per multiple journos, including Rusillo. Seems he doesn’t love basketball amongst other issues, and Vlade/Peja don’t draft guys that don’t love the game since the WCS draft. You need to be a baller to succeed in Sacramento because the focus needs to be on the game, and not the things the game can give you.

I voted C cause it’s three second rounders, and who cares? But you folks with the Fs are ridiculous. Every single team passed on Bol, and about half passed on him twice but we’re the idiots for not taking him?

Last edited: