GR3 gone

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
One of Waltons toys gone. GR3 has to find a team that needs a pure wing in the mold of a 2/3. That's a tough spot to find in todays game though.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Weird. I can’t figure out why he’s get waived. He’s not great - but seemed useful.
Today was the guarantee date for the rest of the season on GR3's contract. So, with DQJ playing well at the wing, we let him go "for free" and open up a roster spot that we can use for trades, ten-day contracts, whatever.

It wouldn't really make sense if GR3's contract was already guaranteed - in that case hold onto him until you really need to use a roster for somebody else - but with us holding a "Get Out Of GR3 Free" card, it seems pretty obvious to use it.

Weird. I can’t figure out why he’s get waived. He’s not great - but seemed useful.
Yeah he wasn’t horrible and useful in some games. Maybe this is a sign of focusing on youth and this is the first step. I wouldn’t have minded picking of shump for his influence with the young guys but like prob would have played him 20+ mins a game.

If I had to guess GRIII saw the writing on the wall with DQJ taking his minutes and asked (or more likely his agent asked) to be released rather than have his contract guaranteed so he could catch on elsewhere to finish the season.

Because unless McNair has a plan for that roster spot or a trade in the works where the Kings take back more players than they send out, the only other explanation is saving money. And if that's the case the Kings franchise would have to be in a really bad spot financially.

If I had to guess GRIII saw the writing on the wall with DQJ taking his minutes and asked (or more likely his agent asked) to be released rather than have his contract guaranteed so he could catch on elsewhere to finish the season.

Because unless McNair has a plan for that roster spot or a trade in the works where the Kings take back more players than they send out, the only other explanation is saving money. And if that's the case the Kings franchise would have to be in a really bad spot financially.
Another option is knowing this is the only way to make sure Walton plays younger players over him.

He was terrible. That dude always thought he was Kobe or some superstar level player. Bricked so many threes I could have made a house with it.