gerald wallace scores 26 in debut loss to wizards... also added 12 rebs and 5 assists

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
As an aside, Gerald racked up as a near triple double tonight with 9pts 9rebs 6ast 8stls .

Meanwhile we have been treated to the awesome battle of the titans between Matt Barnes and David Blutenthal to fill his old spot.

Bricklayer said:
As an aside, Gerald racked up as a near triple double tonight with 9pts 9rebs 6ast 8stls
i hope he keeps that up, i picked him up on my fantasy team, forgot to mention that he's a turn over machine though :-\

Bricklayer said:
As an aside, Gerald racked up as a near triple double tonight with 9pts 9rebs 6ast 8stls .
Impressive. That's about as near a triple double as you can get without actually doubling in any single category

Well, remember he wasn't TRADED, it isn't as if the Kings said "Take him PLEASE!" Someone had to be left unprotected, and the Bobcats were looking for someone like him; someone who needed minutes that they weren't going to get with their current team.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
So all of a sudden Gerald Wallace is the superstar we LET get away?

I wish him all the best and hope he can fulfill his potential with the Bobcats. He wasn't going to do it with the Kings, and that was pretty apparent. Whether you want to blame Adelman for not giving him enough oppportunities, the fates for nagging small injuries, or Wallace for just not putting forth the effort necessary to be productive for an upper echelon team, the fact remains that Wallace was the best person to leave exposed for the draft.

Right now he's putting up decent numbers on a sporadic basis on an expansion team in the pre-season. I certainly don't think that's any reason to start second-guessing what was the right choice at the right time on the part of Kings management.

The bottom line here, IMHO, is that we didn't really have any other options. We did what had to be done - and hopefully the Bobcats and Gerald Wallace will benefit. Isn't that why they have expansion drafts?

I think the main concern is that an argument can be made that GW didn't get enough actual game time here in a Kings' uniform to show whether or not he could actually contribute to the team and become the type of player to take over for DC or play 20 minutes per game as time went on.

I wish GW well with the Bobcats, but would wonder what was the problem with him in Sac-town if he does blossom into a Desmond Mason type of player this year.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
While an argument can easily be made about Wallace's playing time, what can't be argued is that he was - at the time - the only logical choice to expose to the expansion draft.

Some players do well in certain situations but not in others. Look at Bobby Jackson. I think it's a big mistake to assume that every player would have done as good here as they eventually might do with another team, just as it's wrong to think no one will be good here if they haven't been good elsewhere.

It's pretty much accepted that while Wallace did have some strengths, he certainly didn't seem to want to do everything he possibly could to prove his worth. It might be the time here is WHY he's putting it all out there for the Bobcats.

I wish him well. I won't ever regret letting him go, however, because after seeing him play I just don't think he was the right piece at the right time for the Kings.

Bricklayer

VF21 said:
While an argument can easily be made about Wallace's playing time, what can't be argued is that he was - at the time - the only logical choice to expose to the expansion draft.

Some players do well in certain situations but not in others. Look at Bobby Jackson. I think it's a big mistake to assume that every player would have done as good here as they eventually might do with another team, just as it's wrong to think no one will be good here if they haven't been good elsewhere.

It's pretty much accepted that while Wallace did have some strengths, he certainly didn't seem to want to do everything he possibly could to prove his worth. It might be the time here is WHY he's putting it all out there for the Bobcats.

I wish him well. I won't ever regret letting him go, however, because after seeing him play I just don't think he was the right piece at the right time for the Kings.
He was the only logical choice to expose to the expansion draft because we didn't value him enough to take steps to protect him. In other words if, for instance, he did turn ouot to be a 14pt 6reb 2stl young SF/OG type it would have been a real good idea for Petrie to have guaranteed the second year of Peeler's contract or something similar so that we would have had expansion draft fodder. Entirely apart from whether Wallace turns out to be a player that we absolutely could have used (let's see a team weak in rebounding, athleticsm, hustle?) is the rather disturbing oversight by Petrie. If he HAD blossomed what would we have had done? All of a sudden we would have been, to quote my ever colorful father, up **** creek without a paddle, and probably would have had to expose Doug.

And yes, if he blossoms we are going to sorely regret letting him go. What kills all elite teams sooner or later is age and slowly depleting talent. You can't get lottery talent through the draft, and you're too capped out paying for your stars to afford anybody more expensive than the exception. When you do are fortunate enough to get a young talent, you simply cannot give it away for nothing. I am not convinced Gerald is going to truly going to blossom yet. But if he does, I AM convinced giving him away to an expansion team was stupid. And if he REALLY blossoms...well, don't want to think about him becoming a star. That becomes one of those franchise turning events. Fortunately we are not there yet. But when we are witnessing a training camp battle between a bunch of marginal players fighting over a backup SF/swingman spot that Wallace could hold, its prety damn hard to argue that we either traded up or came up with an adequate replacement.

Last edited:
Entirely apart from whether Wallace turns out to be a player that we absolutely could have used (let's see a team weak in rebounding, athleticsm, hustle?) is the rather disturbing oversight by Petrie. If he HAD blossomed what would we have had done? All of a sudden we would have been, to quote my ever colorful father, up **** creek without a paddle, and probably would have had to expose Doug.
Petrie knew the expansion draft was coming. You really believe it was an oversight? (Oops, that's THIS year? My bad) Don't you think, knowing Petrie, it was probably a much more coldly calculated move than that? Let's say Wallace DID develop like we hoped last year. I don't think Petrie would have batted an eye to leave an aging, over-paid off guard exposed, especially if his replacement was at the ready. Relatively slim chance the cats would have picked him up. (when I say Doug is over-paid and aging I am referring to how an expansion franchise would have viewed him)
I don't see the contract with Peeler as being an over-sight either. His three-point shooting during the regular season notwithstanding, I think he was always intended as just a stop-gap measure, and given his history of play-off performance (or lack thereof) which he lived up to in fine fashion, I am not at all sorry to see him go.
Jim Jackson, on the other hand, THAT was a mistake.

Gerald had three years here to develop. Perhaps it was just a square peg/round hole situation. He needs time on the floor to play, to improve and he wasn't earning it here, for whatever reason(s)

I think this is the best thing that could have happened for Gerald.

Bricklayer

Kingsgurl said:
I think this is the best thing that could have happened for Gerald.
As do I.

However as I am a Kings fan not a Gerald Wallace fan I am fundamentally unconcerned with what's "best for Gerald". I am concerned however with the Kings potentially losing a young talent for nothing -- it is roughly the biggest mistake you can make in sports. In particular since at this point we have no replacement for him. In any case its out of the Kings hands now.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
You keep saying we have no replacement, but I think you're drastically underestimating the potential of Kevin Martin. Anyway, we'll see...

Bricklayer said:
As do I.

However as I am a Kings fan not a Gerald Wallace fan I am fundamentally unconcerned with what's "best for Gerald". I am concerned however with the Kings potentially losing a young talent for nothing -- it is roughly the biggest mistake you can make in sports. In particular since at this point we have no replacement for him. In any case its out of the Kings hands now.
See, this is where we differ, Brick. Gerald may well bloom into something with the Bobcats, and I am fine with that, because I don't think it would have happened for him here. I thought/hoped it might at one time, but it was not to be. What he does for his new team in the future is not directly transferrable to what he would have done this season if he were still on our roster. It's a totally different situation. He is getting extended minutes, in an offense where HE is one of the primary options. There is no pressure on him in that situation, not the same type of pressure as a team with Championship aspirations anyway.
It is precisely because I am a Kings fan first that I am at ease with letting Gerald go. It is better for Gerald AND for the Kings, who needed or wanted for him to be something different than what he was capable of being right now.

Bricklayer

Kingsgurl said:
It is precisely because I am a Kings fan first that I am at ease with letting Gerald go. It is better for Gerald AND for the Kings, who needed or wanted for him to be something different than what he was capable of being right now.
The last sentence may be the problem.

You know, the fact of the matter is this team HAS been a little soft. And part of that is having taken a good thing -- valuing shooting -- and turing it into a religious affiliation. Shooting IS great. but there's much, much more to the game than that. And at some point you get worried when other traits just as necessary to winning -- rebounding, defense, hustle -- are devalued because of a fascination with the question of whether somebody can shoot or not.

P.S. KMart is really not "Gerald replacement". Much much too small, and lacking in physicality. I have real hopes for him developing into Doug's replacement, but he's considerably less physical than DOUG. And in the meantime the position that Gerald really occupied, or could have, was the Hedo/JJ physical SF/OG swingman role. Even with Kevin, we are still lacking that player now. And that's really the biggest hole coming off our bench. I shudder to think who we have to plug in if Peja were to get hurt this year.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Having Bluthenthal is the reason of concern;).
Yea, I know...I was bein sarcastic!

Personally, i prefer Barnes. He has more to offer on the court
I perfer Barnes too, but something tells me the Kings are going to go with Bluth...

I really don't like Bluth's game, in what I've seen...He apparently can shoot, but he's not proving that, so he may be a "streaky" player. Do we want that backing up? He also doenst seem to offer ANYTHING else, besides his limited offensive abilities.

Matt Barnes on the other hand is a player the Kings could actually use. He likes to pass, he will go after the loose ball, and rebound a bit. Im not to sure about his defense, because I haven't seen him play enough.

Im hoping Barnes gets the backup spot, but I'm not to sure thats gonna happen...

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Bricklayer said:
P.S. KMart is really not "Gerald replacement". Much much too small, and lacking in physicality. I have real hopes for him developing into Doug's replacement, but he's considerably less physical than DOUG. And in the meantime the position that Gerald really occupied, or could have, was the Hedo/JJ physical SF/OG swingman role. Even with Kevin, we are still lacking that player now. And that's really the biggest hole coming off our bench. I shudder to think who we have to plug in if Peja were to get hurt this year.
Brick I have to disagree here. K-Mart has taken something like 6 chargres in 5 games, is flying in for boards and playing so agressively he is picking up fouls right and left. Is he as GOOD ad DC? of course not, but I hoinestly don't know how he could me MORE physical. Just my 2 cent here. As for a replacemtn for Pedja, I think we need to reevaluate Darius as an option at the 3, espcialy if what we want is a defensive team. Maybe Barnes will work out, I highly doubt Bluth will, but if you are looking for a 6-9 forward who can rebound, hit outside hops and play well under the hoop, he ahs a name. Given 10 min to spell Webber at PF, 10 min to spell pedja at the 3 that is 20 min a game... prety reasonable. Even if we have to shift Webb to the 5 to spell Brad while Tag is out that still only had Darius at 30 min... well with in his ablity.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Flash is still learning the system. I think he has more desire to be the very best he can than Wallace ever did.

BTW, Kevin is aware of the nickname FLASH and likes it. He's rather happy to hear something other than K-Mart, which is obviously already taken by Kenyon Martin. Kingsgurl says his family, including his grandmother -whom she has regular contact with - also likes the new nickname and thinks it's great the fans are already starting to take real notice of Kevin.

Bricklayer

HndsmCelt said:
Brick I have to disagree here. K-Mart has taken something like 6 chargres in 5 games, is flying in for boards and playing so agressively he is picking up fouls right and left. Is he as GOOD ad DC? of course not, but I hoinestly don't know how he could me MORE physical. Just my 2 cent here. As for a replacemtn for Pedja, I think we need to reevaluate Darius as an option at the 3, espcialy if what we want is a defensive team. Maybe Barnes will work out, I highly doubt Bluth will, but if you are looking for a 6-9 forward who can rebound, hit outside hops and play well under the hoop, he ahs a name. Given 10 min to spell Webber at PF, 10 min to spell pedja at the 3 that is 20 min a game... prety reasonable. Even if we have to shift Webb to the 5 to spell Brad while Tag is out that still only had Darius at 30 min... well with in his ablity.
Martin is "physical" in that he's willing to throw his body in there. But whether its effective given his lack of strength is another question. Do the other guys even notice when he tries to hack them? He is averaging 2.3rebs in 21.3min/gm so far this preseason. Ok for a PG, weak for an OG. Impossible for a SF. Courtney Alexander, noted one-dimensional player, has averaged 2.2rebs per 21.7min/gm over his career.

Which is not to say that Martin does not try -- I have appreciated his willingness to stick his nose in there against much bigger players. But it is to say that if Doug were to retire tommorow and we had to start Kevin, we would be taking a huge hit on the glass and interior defense (as well as with the loss of Doug's ability to create for others). Martin's just too damn skinny at this point. Has the quickness, but if we were really going to have to start him this season I predict by December he would be facing a long, steady, and painful stream of postups from every physical off guard in the league. Doug's a scrawny guy himself. But he's scrawny and strong. What little meat he has is muscle. Not so with Kevin. At least not yet. In any case he's a million miles away from the JJs, Hedos or Wallaces of the world who could all be intimidating physical forces in there (each for his own reasons strenght/size/athleticism).

BTW, I could forsee all sorts of problems with Darius at the SF for major minutes -- would he be able to stay with little guys all the way out to the three point stripe? How would our motion/passing offense work with a 3rd big guy on the floor? We would certainly be short of ball handlers. But that said, the sad thing is we probably don't have any definitively better options right now. Think Barnes should make the team, but is he good enough to be a rotation player? Last year we effectively ran without a backup SF and tried to use an old 6'4" combo guard there. This year could be shaping up the same way.

Last edited: