George Hill to the Cavaliers?

Kingster

Hall of Famer
But so can a number of players from this year's draft class. Don't get me wrong I think he's a good player but I'm not an essential piece for us going forward.
I agree. He's not essential. And I wouldn't be interested in trading Skal for him. The way to get better is by keeping the guys with high ceilings and developing them, and adding to the roster by not trading those young developing pieces. Randle is the kind of guy the Kings could get in FA. My view is that when the young Kings players have actually developed and have major trade value, then it's time to consider a major trade if there are redundancies or gaps in the lineup. We've got a long ways to go before reaching that level.

Last edited:
Someone at another forum mentioned an interesting trade.

The typical Shump & Frye, but getting the CLE 1st, but in addition to this finding a third team to take KK and also getting a second. I could live with that return. Not sure precisely how Cleveland would be able to entice a third team to send us a pick, may not even need their help. But the combo of that together would probably be enough for me.

Someone at another forum mentioned an interesting trade.

The typical Shump & Frye, but getting the CLE 1st, but in addition to this finding a third team to take KK and also getting a second. I could live with that return. Not sure precisely how Cleveland would be able to entice a third team to send us a pick, may not even need their help. But the combo of that together would probably be enough for me.
If those picks are for 2018, I wouldn't be interested. The Kings already have too much youth to develop. It doesn't make sense to add Giles, their top pick, Cav's 1st and two seconds to the mix.

I guess they could turn around and trade some of them, but I don't see multiple picks adding much.

If those picks are for 2018, I wouldn't be interested. The Kings already have too much youth to develop. It doesn't make sense to add Giles, their top pick, Cav's 1st and two seconds to the mix.

I guess they could turn around and trade some of them, but I don't see multiple picks adding much.
That's a good point, we probably would be better off getting picks for later drafts if possible.

LeBron: "So, what's up with getting George Hill???"

Cavs ownership: "Ummmm... err..... well..... ummm.....we had a deal all ready and we just found out..... errr..... that George Hill's toe still hurts..... ahh, yeah that's it!......"

LeBron: "WTF !" LeBron storms out.

Cavs ownership: Ring, ring. "Ummmm.... Vlade, so maybe we can go ahead and include that 1st rounder you were asking for.......

To be continued?.....

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I just heard a report saying the Cavs and Kings were never close to a deal
That's probably the most truthful report out there about this whole thing. Woj, unfortunately, is no longer the irrefutable source he once was. A number of his sources have dried up (or been fired at least in part for leaking to the media).

I agree. He's not essential. And I wouldn't be interested in trading Skal for him. The way to get better is by not only keeping the guys with high ceilings and developing them, and adding to the roster by not trading those young developing pieces. Randle is the kind of guy the Kings could get in FA. My view is that when the young Kings players have actually developed and have major trade value, then it's time to consider a major trade if there are redundancies or gaps in the lineup. We've got a long ways to go before reaching that level.
I agree in principle. However, there are examples, certainly with this franchise where its smart to cash in early on the failed picks.

When we drafted McLemore, many experts were gushing that he had all star potential and possibly could end up being the best player in his draft class. It was evident in his first and certainly by his second season that it was just not going to be the case but stubbornly franchise persisted with him and lost him for nothing in the end.

Teams make draft mistakes but it is important to identify the mistake early and cash in on it while you can. I am not saying Skal is a mistake. I quite like Skal, his talent, his attitude and his work ethic. Then again McLemore had all that too.

I think Skal was thown in there to see if he could get an earlier pick. I doubt he gets traded in a salary dump trade. If any of the young ones get traded it will most likely be Richardson. I can understand that as log jam at that position is real and will get even more so after another draft where Kings will most likely end up with a SF. Might as well cash in on that chip if we can.

Not a big fan of Randle. I don't think ZBO's style of basketball has a real fit in modern basketball anymore. Randle reminds me a lot of ZBo.

I'd rather have a stretch 4 with a defensive 5.
I wasn't a fan of his game either until this year. He's turned himself into an effective high energy player making 55% FGs. Randle has hops and liveliness Z-Bo never had even in his prime.

He's still too left-hand dominant but I think his game would complement Willie's more so than Skal. Randle is like a uber-version of JaKarr Sampson.

It is a 50/50 coin flip whether Skal turns into the better player since ages 21 to 23 are when the developmental curve is most steep, but if I am the Kings I may look to flip Skal for Randle depending how Skal performs over the latter half.

Trading away George Hill and saving 10-15M is the motivation to do the deal so we can go after a guy like Julius Randle or Rodney Hood this off-season, players whom are RFA but current teams may be resistant to hand out big money.

So for those who say "unless we get back a 1st round pick from the Cavs" . the trade makes no sense, they are simply incorrect. There is cap flexibility AND freeing up minutes for De'Aaron, Frank and Bogdan at PG as the obvious motivations.

I wasn't a fan of his game either until this year. He's turned himself into an effective high energy player making 55% FGs. Randle has hops and liveliness Z-Bo never had even in his prime.

He's still too left-hand dominant but I think his game would complement Willie's more so than Skal. Randle is like a uber-version of JaKarr Sampson.

It is a 50/50 coin flip whether Skal turns into the better player since ages 21 to 23 are when the developmental curve is most steep, but if I am the Kings I may look to flip Skal for Randle depending how Skal performs over the latter half.

Trading away George Hill and saving 10-15M is the motivation to do the deal so we can go after a guy like Julius Randle or Rodney Hood this off-season, players whom are RFA but current teams may be resistant to hand out big money.

So for those who say "unless we get back a 1st round pick from the Cavs" . the trade makes no sense, they are simply incorrect. There is cap flexibility AND freeing up minutes for De'Aaron, Frank and Bogdan at PG as the obvious motivations.
Well I whole heartedly disagree with that regarding the 1st. We should sit back and wait until Cle caves. Because we can. If Cle continues to free fall and fight amongst themselves the pressure will continue to build for them aka leverage. Worst case scenario for us is Hill plays out his contract and we have major expiring deals next year.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I agree. He's not essential. And I wouldn't be interested in trading Skal for him. The way to get better is by keeping the guys with high ceilings and developing them, and adding to the roster by not trading those young developing pieces. Randle is the kind of guy the Kings could get in FA. My view is that when the young Kings players have actually developed and have major trade value, then it's time to consider a major trade if there are redundancies or gaps in the lineup. We've got a long ways to go before reaching that level.
I wouldn't be upset if we traded Skal for Randle, but at the same time, I don't disagree with what you stated. I think I would rather keep Skal and see what he turns into, but if we were to trade him, then I think a player like Randle, who is still a young player, would be a good value in return. It's probably a matter of how the coaching staff and Vlade see Skal's potential. There's a lot more that's relevant than what we see on the floor.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Cleveland just appears to want to drive down the Hill price by "toe" issues and reports of his poor defense. I'm routing for Cleveland to lose every single game prior to the trade deadline to make them absolutely desperate.
Cleveland is on the wrong side of this discussion. They need us, and we don't need them. Your absolutely right, all their trying to do is drive down the asking price. I want a 1st rd pick back in the deal, or no deal. I don't have a problem with Hill staying for another year. Actually, he may have more value by next years trade deadline. So Cleveland, either put up, or shut up.

https://cavsnation.com/cavs-had-int...george-hills-contract-had-trade-materialized/

Speaking on ESPN Radio about the subject of Hill’s potential trade to Cleveland, Ryan Hollins said that Cleveland was trying to coax Hill into agreeing to a preliminary buyout next season should LeBron James decides to walk away from the team in the summer. Hill, however, declined to be part of the plan, putting the trade talks off the table for now.

Gee George wants his 20 Mil next year, Cant blame him, Based on the article, I just dont see Cavs pushing the Hill Trade
They may push Hard for a center for real help on defense, but Sounds like we will not make any trades, the Hill trade was the only active Trade rumor

Back to the plan, develop our Youth, Dont trade skal!!!!, let our vets contracts expire next year, Get Giles, 1st,2nd picks to develop

Carter frees spot for the 1st, If Kosta or Garrett opts out we have room for 2nd pick, Still Have Hill/Zbo for vets

unless Vlade finds a Vet trade or we take bad contract for a 2019 Pick , I dont see much happening

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
https://cavsnation.com/cavs-had-int...george-hills-contract-had-trade-materialized/

Speaking on ESPN Radio about the subject of Hill’s potential trade to Cleveland, Ryan Hollins said that Cleveland was trying to coax Hill into agreeing to a preliminary buyout next season should LeBron James decides to walk away from the team in the summer. Hill, however, declined to be part of the plan, putting the trade talks off the table for now.
OK, so it goes like this: Cavs try to trade for Hill. Cavs want Hill to agree to give up $20M in order to allow trade to go through. Hill tells Cavaliers to go get stuffed. Cavaliers put disinformation out in the media saying they don't want to trade for him because his toe is injured.

Stay classy, Cavs!

Gee George wants his 20 Mil next year, Cant blame him, Based on the article, I just dont see Cavs pushing the Hill Trade
If any of the rumors were true (about dumping Skal or Malichi to make room in a trade), then George Hill might have actually helped the Kings from making a stupid mistake. ;)

If Cavs moves on from Hill, I can see OKC being interested in Hill.

Having just lost SG Roberson for the season, Hill would give them solid defense and 3 point shooting.

It would need to be a 3 team deal of some sort.

Last edited:
If Cavs moves on from Hill, I can see OKC being interested in Hill.

Having just lost SG Roberson for the season, Hill would give them solid defense and 3 point shooting.
It would be tough to match the salaries. Just trying the trade machine and it would take something like:

We receive - Roberson (SG) $9.2m / Patterson (PF) $5.1m / Singler (SF) $4.6m
They receive - Hill (PG) $20m / Papa (C) $2.3m / Malachi (SG) $1.5m

The above trade would utilize both of their trade exceptions they got for Sabonis and Oladipo. It would result in us with -2 wins and no change for them. Singler would join with one guaranteed year left on his deal and then a team option. Patterson would have one guaranteed year left on his deal and a player option and at the price he's good value. Roberson joins with two more guaranteed years on his deal and at $10 million it's not the worst contract but he's not someone to move the needle and considering our logjam at SG it is not ideal to be acquiring him.

I could see them being interested in Hill and he would be a decent fit for them, however his contract makes it very difficult to move him without us having to take on three or four players just to balance the salaries and that would create an issue with us having to make space on the roster for them because I doubt we could just waive them? So if we don't do a deal like the above we would need to find a third team to balance the salaries out and three team deals aren't that easy to come by.

Cleveland is on the wrong side of this discussion. They need us, and we don't need them. Your absolutely right, all their trying to do is drive down the asking price. I want a 1st rd pick back in the deal, or no deal. I don't have a problem with Hill staying for another year. Actually, he may have more value by next years trade deadline. So Cleveland, either put up, or shut up.
Agreed. The reason I would want the 1st round pick is because they don't really have anyone to send here that moves the needle. If they are wanting to send the likes of Shumpert, Frye, or Thompson our way then they are really not the kind of players we need. I could see the benefit of adding someone that can space the floor like Frye and plus he's an expiring contract, but Thompson has two more years guaranteed and isn't an upgrade, and Shumpert has one year left and a player option. Personally it would require Brooklyn's pick to make me consider adding Shumpert or Thompson to this roster.

Alternatively I guess we could look at adding Crowder, IT, and Frye. That's two expiring contracts and Crowder is excellent value for the money. We would likely need to send Hill plus two cheap contracts their way like Papa and Malachi. Problem is that deal actually nets both teams negative win totals. Maybe they would prefer Hill at PG to IT, but personally I'm not sure they would do this trade and send the Brooklyn pick our way, but maybe I'm wrong on that.

If this deal is dead then it is possibly a good thing for us because that means we don't lose any young talent and Hill is a more than acceptable backup PG to Fox, or stand in starter at PG, or an option at SG in certain rotations. So I would be in no rush to trade him away because at the end of the day we are rebuilding and the only time we should do a deal is if we are getting someone or something in return that is too good to turn down, otherwise stay the course and let him be a veteran teacher to this roster. Only time your hand is forced to trade him is if Hill makes a commotion.