George Hill to the Cavaliers?

I haven't read this whole thread, so I apologize if this has been gone over before, but Cleveland owes its 2019 pick to Atlanta and due to the Stepien rule (coincidentally) would not be able to trade their own first rounder this year.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I haven't read this whole thread, so I apologize if this has been gone over before, but Cleveland owes its 2019 pick to Atlanta and due to the Stepien rule (coincidentally) would not be able to trade their own first rounder this year.
I could easily be mistaken, but I think people are talking about the pick Cleveland got from Brooklyn.

Because they have the Nets pick this year they can trade their own.

Well I whole heartedly disagree with that regarding the 1st. We should sit back and wait until Cle caves. Because we can. If Cle continues to free fall and fight amongst themselves the pressure will continue to build for them aka leverage. Worst case scenario for us is Hill plays out his contract and we have major expiring deals next year.
What is so great about a late 1st round pick when we have 9 guys drafted in the 1st round over the last two years?

George Hill served as a placeholder and mentor until Fox was ready to command 30 MPG and we found out whether Frank Mason was a capable back-up. Well Fox is ready after half a year and Mason can play. Additionally Boggy is a revelation as a facilitator in the half-court. All these variables decrease the viability of Hill running the show.

Even if you do not concur fully the opportunity to unload Hill and open up 10-15M in cap space this summer will allow us to chase a player like Julius Randle or Rodney Hood. This would be far more expedient that acquiring a late first rounder!

The same attitude should be taken with regards to Koufos and Temple. (Z-Bud has no trade value so it doesn't matter).

The Thunder have a need for a defensive wing after Roberson blew out his patellar tendon. Temple could be a guy worth targeting for them.

After the Pistons made the move for Blake Griffin they may be in win now mode and perhaps would consider adding Temple in a deal for Stanley Johnson. In each case we can look to free up cap dollars and re-orient ourselves to the future with veterans who have served their purpose but will be insignificant in future team success.

Brian Windhorst provides an update on the George Hill trade the Cavs and Kings discussed: “Well, obviously it hasn’t gotten done, they haven’t been able to finalize it. It is still sitting there on the table, but the teams have backed away from it. Why? Well, there a few different reasons for that. There’s a draft compensation issue. There’s the George Hill health issue. He missed three of four games [recently]. And I know they aren’t playing their veterans, but he had the toe issue pop up earlier this month and he’s been battling this toe issue for two years now. He’s missed six of his last [11] games – some because of the toe and some because he’s been a healthy scratch. I do think there was some concern within the Cavs organization about that. … Also, another factor is the Cavs’ lineup change. They hadn’t been using Channing Frye at all and so I think the GM, Koby Altman, was like, ‘Well if you aren’t going to use him, I’m going to trade him.’ Then they made a lineup change and now Channing Frye is back in the rotation. Had they done this deal the way it was initially structured, they would’ve been a big man short, which would have necessitated them to make a secondary deal. From what I understand, it’s still there and can be done, but for various reasons the teams have stepped back. The reason I was so [adamant] that it was going to happen is because they talked to the players about it. When it’s the actual team [executives] going to the players and saying, ‘This is going to happen,’ typically that means it’s going to happen.”

He also says Vince is a buyout candidate, and Kings want a 1st rd for Skal

Link is to a podcast - reported on Hoopshype

https://audioboom.com/posts/6625362...d-the-league-buyout-candidates-and-more-ep-53

Soooo only reason I see Vince as a buyout would be if we need to clear roster spot for Hill trade

Nobody will give us a 1st for Skal

If Cleveland is so worried about trading Frye and being a Big man down, then they can give us the BKN 1st for Skal - LOL like that will happen (and Vlade should not take CLE 1st for skal )

Brian Windhorst provides an update on the George Hill trade the Cavs and Kings discussed: “Well, obviously it hasn’t gotten done, they haven’t been able to finalize it. It is still sitting there on the table, but the teams have backed away from it. Why? Well, there a few different reasons for that. There’s a draft compensation issue. There’s the George Hill health issue. He missed three of four games [recently]. And I know they aren’t playing their veterans, but he had the toe issue pop up earlier this month and he’s been battling this toe issue for two years now. He’s missed six of his last [11] games – some because of the toe and some because he’s been a healthy scratch. I do think there was some concern within the Cavs organization about that. … Also, another factor is the Cavs’ lineup change. They hadn’t been using Channing Frye at all and so I think the GM, Koby Altman, was like, ‘Well if you aren’t going to use him, I’m going to trade him.’ Then they made a lineup change and now Channing Frye is back in the rotation. Had they done this deal the way it was initially structured, they would’ve been a big man short, which would have necessitated them to make a secondary deal. From what I understand, it’s still there and can be done, but for various reasons the teams have stepped back. The reason I was so [adamant] that it was going to happen is because they talked to the players about it. When it’s the actual team [executives] going to the players and saying, ‘This is going to happen,’ typically that means it’s going to happen.”

https://audioboom.com/posts/6625362...d-the-league-buyout-candidates-and-more-ep-53
The interview Windhorst gave last week didn't convince me he was really in tune with the trade rumor. There are a lot of Narratives being swung here and the LBJ/BSPN connection can't be ignored. Stay the course and demand a 1st for Hill with no youth attached or no deal.

The whole thing about Hill's toe reeks of BS. Everyone knows that he's been healthy for 99% of the games he's missed this season. This is just the Cavs trying to justify the trade failure.

I hope the Skal stuff is in fact rumor

I’d like to see something from the Kings side about Hill’s toe being an issue at all

Next year will be the time to trade Hill. He can rest up his toe this year and work on getting his jody "right" for next year then goes to highest bidder at trade deadline. The teams thatwould want him seem to not want to pay as much with another year on his contract...they probably want to maintain offseason flexibility so not so hot in taking him on....next year him expiring will be a big value bonus

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nb...nnot-afford-to-trade-channing-frye/ar-BBIwn87

With Love out, Frye becomes too important to cavs to trade him

So back to drawing board?
Shumpert and JR Smith, Cavs 1st
for Hill and Malachi?
or

Shumpert, JR, Bkln pick
for Hill and Skal

To take back that much salary I would want a pick
still a very bad deal
2 guards we dont need for 2 guards we dont need
still a very expensive pick 41 mil for 21 mil ?

cavs wont trade Bkn unless for DeAndre Jordan for TT deal?

I just dont see any Hill trade working

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nb...nnot-afford-to-trade-channing-frye/ar-BBIwn87

for Hill and Malachi?
or

Shumpert, JR, Bkln pick
for Hill and Skal

still a very bad deal

Might be IT, the way I hear some talking about his affect in/off the floor

for Hill and Malachi?
or

Shumpert, JR, Bkln pick
for Hill and Skal

still a very bad deal

There's no need to give up Richardson or Labissiere. It should be...

Kings Get: JR Smith, Iman Shumpert, CLE 2018 1st, & rights to swap w/ BKN 2018 1st
Cavs Get: George Hill & Kosta Koufos

PG - Hill / Thomas / Calderon / Rose
SG - Korver / Wade
SF - LeBron / Crowder / Osman
PF - Love / Green / Frye
C - Thompson / Koufos / Zizic

or

Kings Get: JR Smith, Iman Shumpert, CLE 2018 1st, & rights to swap w/ BKN 2018 1st
Cavs Get: George Hill & Garrett Temple

SG - Temple / Wade / Korver
SF - LeBron / Korver / Osman
PF - Crowder / Green / Frye
C - Love / Thompson / Zizic

I'd prefer the first one because I'd rather have Temple in SAC as a mentor but I think CLE would prefer the wing defense & 3pt shooting of Temple vs. Koufos despite Love going down. I think Temple is more useful in a playoff run where teams tend to go smaller.

Last edited:
Soooo only reason I see Vince as a buyout would be if we need to clear roster spot for Hill trade

Nobody will give us a 1st for Skal

If Cleveland is so worried about trading Frye and being a Big man down, then they can give us the BKN 1st for Skal - LOL like that will happen (and Vlade should not take CLE 1st for skal )
They could buyout Carter as a professional gesture if he wants to be on a playoff team this late in his career

There's no need to give up Richardson or Labissiere. It should be...

Cavs Get: George Hill & Kosta Koufos

SG - Korver / Wade
SF - LeBron / Crowder / Osman
PF - Love / Green / Frye
C - Thompson / Koufos / Zizic

or

Cavs Get: George Hill & Garrett Temple

SG - Temple / Wade / Korver
SF - LeBron / Korver / Osman
PF - Crowder / Green / Frye
C - Love / Thompson / Zizic
Brooklyn pick isn’t available man

The whole thing about Hill's toe reeks of BS. Everyone knows that he's been healthy for 99% of the games he's missed this season. This is just the Cavs trying to justify the trade failure.
https://twitter.com/WindhorstESPN/status/958780324883857409

"On the @hoopshype podcast this week I misspoke and said George Hill had recently missed time due to a toe injury. This was my mistake, he recently missed time because of the birth of a child. His toe has been healthy this season. I apologize for the error." -Brian Windhorst

This is why I don't attribute much merit into anything I read from sports journalists and talking heads. Unless it is an indisputable fact it makes more sense (and is better for my overall health) to err on the side of caution and take a wait and see approach to all these rumors we hear almost daily.

https://twitter.com/WindhorstESPN/status/958780324883857409

"On the @hoopshype podcast this week I misspoke and said George Hill had recently missed time due to a toe injury. This was my mistake, he recently missed time because of the birth of a child. His toe has been healthy this season. I apologize for the error." -Brian Windhorst

This is why I don't attribute much merit into anything I read from sports journalists and talking heads. Unless it is an indisputable fact it makes more sense (and is better for my overall health) to err on the side of caution and take a wait and see approach to all these rumors we hear almost daily.
Same thing with deflategate the espn reporter came out months later like oh I meant only 1 Ball was deflated. It’s embarrassing

After learning that Cleveland can't trade their first round pick....I don't know what the point is in even talking to them. Any trade at that point is going to be a favor to George Hill and the Cavs.

I like to think that Hill wants to leave but doesn’t want to lose money next year to do it and who would.
I believe we paid him to cover a need and he has. But that money could very well be spent on what we need next year after we see how we draft.

I think what ever we get that does not tie up cap space could work out well for us.
Now KK as a trade is so-so to me but love just broke his hand and should be back rested for the playoffs. We know what we have with him and heck a lot of teams would like a OK backup center.

I like to think that Hill wants to leave but doesn’t want to lose money next year to do it and who would.
I believe we paid him to cover a need and he has. But that money could very well be spent on what we need next year after we see how we draft.

I think what ever we get that does not tie up cap space could work out well for us.
Now KK as a trade is so-so to me but love just broke his hand and should be back rested for the playoffs. We know what we have with him and heck a lot of teams would like a OK backup center.
KK played so great his last game this is the most perfect "sell high" opportunity we're going to get. Not that I'm anxious to see him go because we are already too small.

Hill... I don't care if he just goes on permanent maternity leave. We didn't give up anything except money for him - anything we get back is a bonus. I just want a partial refund

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
After learning that Cleveland can't trade their first round pick....I don't know what the point is in even talking to them. Any trade at that point is going to be a favor to George Hill and the Cavs.
I seem to have missed that. Why can't Cleveland trade their first-round pick? They have the BRK pick this year, so I don't see a Stepien Rule problem.