General Grant Napear termination discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
As you suggest, some interpret "Black Lives Matter," to mean "Black Lives matter only," and not "Black Lives Matter, too." But, as you also note, the first interpretation is at odds with what the protestors mean. So, why not listen to them! And, given all that the Kings organization itself has done with BLM the past couple years, not knowing that the second interpretation is what really matters is itself problematic, because it makes it look like he wasn't paying attention to what the team and players were saying. Thus, Grant's claim of ignorance actually hurts his case. Either he knew how his response would come off, or he should have known, and either way it's not a good look.
This. So much this. If white Americans just listened to what black people are saying, if white Americans prioritized the legitimate concerns of black people regarding institutional racism and institutional violence against people of color, there would be a lot less white handwringing over the use of a perfectly acceptable slogan like "Black Lives Matter."

Of course, we as white people so often have to make it about us, about our inability to empathize with the concerns of those who experience the daily realities of discrimination and the perpetual threat of real violence at the hands of the police. We pretend we know better. Worse, we pretend we know what's best for black Americans. We minimize their protest, their pain. We try to drown out their voices with our own.

But it's not about us! It's not about white people's discomfort with racial inequity. It's not about papering over black anguish so we can sleep better at night with our opinions and our ideologies and the votes we've chosen to cast. "All lives matter" has been and always will be a deflection used to reorient the conversation away from contending with systemic racism. And it's not the first of its kind. You could fill a coffee table book with white American turns of phrase that were specifically designed to wrest the conversation away from the disenfranchised. You could title it 101 Ways to Avoid Talking About Racism.

Now, is Grant Napear a racist? I don't know. I suspect not. Is he prone to very incendiary language? Yes. Has he throughout his career wielded a number of racist "dog whistles" when discussing particular Kings players of color, particularly those who don't fit the comfortable, squeaky clean mold that a lot of sports fans want to try and project onto black athletes? Also yes.

Like so many Americans, I'd guess that Grant doesn't even realize he's participating in rather odious traditions of racist invective and paternalism when his blood is up and he starts aiming that vitriol at black players. His ignorance, if it is ignorance, doesn't excuse his behavior. To the contrary, I am glad that he's finally being held accountable for it. Media figures should be held to a higher standard of speech. They have a much larger platform than you or I. They must be more responsible and conscientious than you or I might be when we decide to air out our thoughts and/or grievances online or elsewhere.

A couple dozen Kings fans might read this post that I've written. It doesn't amount to much (and may even be deleted, which is the KF.com moderators' right if they deem I've overstepped KF.com rules). But Grant Napear had thousands of listeners. And far too many of them are coming to his defense rather than to the defense of those whose legitimate protests are being threatened by the boot heels and batons of militarized police forces all across the nation. That is the impact of a phrase like "All lives matter."

I don't really wish to enter the fray except to say that the discussion around the specific three word phrase has been had ad infinitum and if you still insist on using those words together you are a heel.

Grant the play by play guy is going to be hard to replace. I said that his catch phrase has become synonymous with watching Kings games over the years, in particular most of the "good" memories. And I am afraid for the time being I don't wish to hear it.

Time will pass and I am sure that Grant will have the opportunity to heal and find a new role somewhere.

Hopefully the powers that be do not put the play by play crew whomever they will ultimately be on a hot-take sports talk format radio show. Those should be two distinct things if the latter is even truly necessary (it's not).

This. So much this. If white Americans just listened to what black people are saying, if white Americans prioritized the legitimate concerns of black people regarding institutional racism and institutional violence against people of color, there would be a lot less white handwringing over the use of a perfectly acceptable slogan like "Black Lives Matter."

Of course, we as white people so often have to make it about us, about our inability to empathize with the concerns of those who experience the daily realities of discrimination and the perpetual threat of real violence at the hands of the police. We pretend we know better. Worse, we pretend we know what's best for black Americans. We minimize their protest, their pain. We try to drown out their voices with our own.

But it's not about us! It's not about white people's discomfort with racial inequity. It's not about papering over black anguish so we can sleep better at night with our opinions and our ideologies and the votes we've chosen to cast. "All lives matter" has been and always will be a deflection used to reorient the conversation away from contending with systemic racism. And it's not the first of its kind. You could fill a coffee table book with white American turns of phrase that were specifically designed to wrest the conversation away from the disenfranchised. You could title it 101 Ways to Avoid Talking About Racism.

Now, is Grant Napear a racist? I don't know. I suspect not. Is he prone to very incendiary language? Yes. Has he throughout his career wielded a number of racist "dog whistles" when discussing particular Kings players of color, particularly those who don't fit the comfortable, squeaky clean mold that a lot of sports fans want to try and project onto black athletes? Also yes.

Like so many Americans, I'd guess that Grant doesn't even realize he's participating in rather odious traditions of racist invective and paternalism when his blood is up and he starts aiming that vitriol at black players. His ignorance, if it is ignorance, doesn't excuse his behavior. To the contrary, I am glad that he's finally being held accountable for it. Media figures should be held to a higher standard of speech. They have a much larger platform than you or I. They must be more responsible and conscientious than you or I might be when we decide to air out our thoughts and/or grievances online or elsewhere.

A couple dozen Kings fans might read this post that I've written. It doesn't amount to much (and may even be deleted, which is the KF.com moderators' right if they deem I've overstepped KF.com rules). But Grant Napear had thousands of listeners. And far too many of them are coming to his defense rather than to the defense of those whose legitimate protests are being threatened by the boot heels and batons of militarized police forces all across the nation. That is the impact of a phrase like "All lives matter."

Awesome post. It will still be ignored by the people who want to ignore it.

Mods should leave that post there so we don't have to keep replying to the people who feel Grant did nothing wrong, and explain why ALM is not a valid reply.

Awesome post. It will still be ignored by the people who want to ignore it.

Mods should leave that post there so we don't have to keep replying to the people who feel Grant did nothing wrong, and explain why ALM is not a valid reply.
I'm curious. I don't see a whole lot of defense of Napier. I see some shock on what it took to have him finally removed given his history. But I've said my peace on that.

Padrino talked about systematic racism. Let me tell a little story about mom. And yes that makes me biased. Mom was hiring for a position overseas. I really don't know if they remained friends after this. Mom hired a black Lady not because of affirmative action but simply because of qualifications. This was late 70's. Years later she took another job with more programs under her. These were civil service positions. After a year or so she fired a gentleman. He cried discrimination. A team was sent from Washington DC to investigate. This was early 80's. It was good that Mom kept meticulous records or she may have been the one without a job. Systematic racism? Two sides to every coin.

Now was Mom the norm? I have seen enough political hirings/promotions to doubt that. Was this gentleman a good representation of the black community? I doubt it. Just someone who felt protected and entitled. Sound familiar?

I'm curious. I don't see a whole lot of defense of Napier. I see some shock on what it took to have him finally removed given his history. But I've said my peace on that.
I've seen a few defend it. It's a few too many in my book. In any case, this was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Padrino talked about systematic racism. Let me tell a little story about mom. And yes that makes me biased. Mom was hiring for a position overseas. I really don't know if they remained friends after this. Mom hired a black Lady not because of affirmative action but simply because of qualifications. This was late 70's. Years later she took another job with more programs under her. These were civil service positions. After a year or so she fired a gentleman. He cried discrimination. A team was sent from Washington DC to investigate. This was early 80's. It was good that Mom kept meticulous records or she may have been the one without a job. Systematic racism? Two sides to every coin.

Now was Mom the norm? I have seen enough political hirings/promotions to doubt that. Was this gentleman a good representation of the black community? I doubt it. Just someone who felt protected and entitled. Sound familiar?
With all due respect, the story is completely irrelevant and I don't know what point it's trying to make. I'm also not sure what your last sentence is referring to. I sincerely doubt black Americans feel either protected or entitled. But I might be misinterpreting your post.

I've seen a few defend it. It's a few too many in my book. In any case, this was the straw that broke the camel's back.

With all due respect, the story is completely irrelevant and I don't know what point it's trying to make. I'm also not sure what your last sentence is referring to. I sincerely doubt black Americans feel either protected or entitled. But I might be misinterpreting your post.
Just the individual. There's bad apples everywhere. Padrino seemed to be lumping all of the white population together. And that is wrong.

There's discrimination and bigotry both ways. And I don't think that is recognized. The problem is how it can affect the other side. If I was bigoted, it would have no effect on the black community. I could neither hurt or help you. I am part of the working poor. A bigoted poor black man likewise could neither help or hurt me. He likely is also of the working poor class. It is when one comes into power that the bigotry becomes a bigger problem. Until then it is a personal loss. The question is who holds the power. My County has a high poverty rate but it is made up of mostly white folk. The poor have some of the same obstacles and a system that works against them. The deck is stacked. And it has nothing to do with race.

The story? Nearly forty years ago, Mom had to defend herself simply because she was white and she was accused of discrimination. Maybe because she was female. The local authorities should have been able to assess if she had proper documentation or not. Instead because of the charge a special team investigated.

Just the individual. There's bad apples everywhere. Padrino seemed to be lumping all of the white population together. And that is wrong.
True, there are bad seeds everywhere, but the BLM movement is not about litigating any one particular relationship or interaction. Can one find an example of a black cop beating a white man? I’m sure one can. However, to make an argument at that level is completely missing the point and leads to an either incredibly dishonest or uneducated point of view.

I see black and white folks marching side by side this past week. I see them helping each other in the streets when riots or police are out of control. The BLM movement is about the system, not necessarily the individual white guy next door. Opening ones mind honestly to the history that got us to this point is a great first step to having an honest debate on how we move forward.

Your post definitely oversteps KF.com rules but political opinions from your side of things are allowed to stand around here while counter opinions get deleted immediately.

Six years old, but sharing in case it’s helpful framing for someone out there.
View attachment 9919
I’ve heard that analogy and think it’s dumb. It’s assumed that all houses are perfectly fine except 1 house which is not true. That kind of hyperbole makes matters worse. Now if all/many houses were on fire and 1 was in worse shape and ignored than that would be a better picture to describe the movement. I think this is mainly the reason he got fired. Grant probably saw it as all houses should be put out at the same time when maybe that one house should get more attention.

I’ve heard that analogy and think it’s dumb. It’s assumed that all houses are perfectly fine except 1 house which is not true. That kind of hyperbole makes matters worse. Now if all/many houses were on fire and 1 was in worse shape and ignored than that would be a better picture to describe the movement. I think this is mainly the reason he got fired. Grant probably saw it as all houses should be put out at the same time when maybe that one house should get more attention.
You are taking the analogy too literally. It’s a comic strip that tries to make the general point more obvious.

You are taking the analogy too literally. It’s a comic strip that tries to make the general point more obvious.
The point of an analogy is to make the point more clear. When the analogy is wrong or to extreme on one side, the other point of view will just dismiss it. It’s not helping. It’s a subtle way at putting down the other point of view. You might not see it this way but then again grant didn’t see anything wrong with all lives matter.

The point of an analogy is to make the point more clear. When the analogy is wrong or to extreme on one side, the other point of view will just dismiss it. It’s not helping. It’s a subtle way at putting down the other point of view. You might not see it this way but then again grant didn’t see anything wrong with all lives matter.
It is extreme to make the point clear. All respect, but I guess we just see the point differently.

True, there are bad seeds everywhere, but the BLM movement is not about litigating any one particular relationship or interaction. Can one find an example of a black cop beating a white man? I’m sure one can. However, to make an argument at that level is completely missing the point and leads to an either incredibly dishonest or uneducated point of view.

Is that true? I gave an example of the shoe being on the other foot and I tried to make it clear that this gentleman's actions did not represent the black community as a whole. These protests resulted from the horrendous death of one man as a result of one bad cop. That is litigating from one interaction. I have given reference to some articles from Reuters on qualified immunity that the cops have given law enforcement. There is another on Police Union contracts. These are good reads and if accurate, show those are a couple of areas that could really use reform.

I won't defend that cop and am pissed at the system that allowed someone with his history to stay on the force. (Assuming the reports are close to accurate)

There are over 380 THOUSAND law enforcement personnel nationwide. And an obscene amount of Departments and such. There are bad cops in there and I will go aa far as saying some bad and corrupt Departments also. There are less than 50 unarmed deaths caused by those 380 THOUSAND individuals. I am not going to taint them all because of the few bad actors and Departments.

That would be the same as saying ALL of the protesters are the same as the bad actors doing the looting and destruction. And I won't do that.

Thanks, it’s always helpful to see the other side‘s perspective. In your revised version, can you share what the fire on all the other houses represents specifically?

They may have resulted from one incident, but they are not just about that one incident.
No but just like the story I told of Mom, why did that individual appear to feel protected and entitled?

Of the less than fifty unarmed individuals killed by cops (2018 or 19), nearly twice as many unarmed whites were killed as unarmed blacks.

Let me give some statements given by both sides and their rebuttals:

>Cops are black killers ....
>> but you are nearly twice as likely to be killed by cops if white than black (false- twice as many is different than twice as likely)
>>>but, but even so that is a disproportionate amount of blacks based on demographics.
>>>>but, but, but 9% (adult black males) commit 44% of all violent crimes. On this I have to question if these numbers are skewed by some of our more violent cities. Baltimore being one. If those violent cities were removed, I have to question if the numbers would fall more in line.

All claims made by respective sides. What is the truth? Is this a black on white thing or is that what they want us think? A house divided does not stand. Do we need to tear down or hold ALL sides to accountability?

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
I am unsure how much is white vs black or generally poor law enforcement training, corruption within countless departments and a generally rotten culture.

There is a reason people of all races, religions, age and economic backgrounds have had bad experiences with cops. The attitude, the aggression, the abuse of power.

How many times does a cop overstep his bounds while the other cops on the call do nothing. How many times are complaints filed and then covered up within departments. How many times are drugs planted to meet quotas. How many lives ruined simply to meet the demands of the for profit prison system. And there's no doubt the lower class falls victim to this more than those with the means to hire quality attorneys to defend themselves.

That old white guy who was flattened by two cops the other day and had his head split open, the department's report said he tripped and fell. It's yet another of endless examples of cops covering assaults up until video comes out.

IMO racism is a part of a larger and wider ranging discussion pertaining to law enforcement.

And that's not to say there aren't many good cops out there and it's not to say they don't have a tough job on their hands, especially going into high crime neighborhoods. However I'm of the viewpoint the good cops exist within a rotten and abusive culture. And I feel bad for all the good cops out there right now as their jobs just got a lot tougher.

I am unsure how much is white vs black or generally poor law enforcement training, corruption within countless departments and a generally rotten culture.

There is a reason people of all races, religions, age and economic backgrounds have had bad experiences with cops. The attitude, the aggression, the abuse of power.

How many times does a cop overstep his bounds while the other cops on the call do nothing. How many times are complaints filed and then covered up within departments. How many times are drugs planted to meet quotas. How many lives ruined simply to meet the demands of the for profit prison system. And there's no doubt the lower class falls victim to this more than those with the means to hire quality attorneys to defend themselves.

That old white guy who was flattened by two cops the other day and had his head split open, the department's report said he tripped and fell. It's yet another of endless examples of cops covering assaults up until video comes out.

IMO racism is a part of a larger and wider ranging discussion pertaining to law enforcement.

And that's not to say there aren't many good cops out there and it's not to say they don't have a tough job on their hands, especially going into high crime neighborhoods. However I'm of the viewpoint the good cops exist within a rotten and abusive culture. And I feel bad for all the good cops out there right now as their jobs just got a lot tougher.
I have mentioned before the stories on qualified immunity and the police union contacts being an issue. If those reports have any validity at all, those issues must be addressed before any progress can be made.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
These protests resulted from the horrendous death of one man as a result of one bad cop. That is litigating from one interaction.
I'm generally staying out of this conversation (as a mod, it seems like input either way is taken out of context). I will say that this was one bad cop that killed him with three other bad cops standing there watching and not interfering in his murder. That's 4/4 bad cops on that particular scene.

Hey, I think the VAST, VAST majority of police likely do the right thing almost all of the time. They have a near impossible job sometimes and do the best they can to try to fairly protect the community while also going home safe to their families at night. I'm not here saying cops are bad because they have to make split-second decisions that are wrong sometimes. When faced with armed rioters, armed criminals, gangs, etc., by all means do what you need to to protect yourself and protect the community. In those situations sometimes mistakes are made. And I have no problem with actual mistakes that are vetted, reviewed, and acknowledged as such. Those cops are doing the best they can in a bad situation and should not be punished for innocent and justifiable split-second decisions.

But this instance was horrible and is just one of many where it isn't a split-second life or death decision. This is intentionally killing someone through 9 minutes of intentional force application when they are handcuffed, face down on the ground, and telling you they can't breathe. Bystanders are pleading with the police to get off him. And three other officers just watched it happen. Absolutely horrible. Pushing over the frail 75 year old and basically walking right over him after suffering a head injury was maybe less "flagrant" but horrible as well. A no-knock warrant house raid on the wrong house killing a medical first responder in her bed is horrible. These are just a few examples (of many) of patterns of behavior that really show that changes do need to be implemented. There are "bad cops" and there are also those that just get into the police for the wrong reasons (because they want to have power over others, etc.). There is a mentality or mindset that needs to be revised. Those particular individuals need to be weeded out and removed from their service. They give others a bad name. But that isn't happening (or happening as it should). And that is when cover ups are taking place - to protect bad cops from their intentionally bad actions.

Last edited:
I'm generally staying out of this conversation (as a mod, it seems like input either way is taken out of context). I will say that this was one bad cop that killed him with three other bad cops standing there watching and not interfering in his murder. That's 4/4 bad cops on that particular scene.

Hey, I think the VAST, VAST majority of police likely do the right thing almost all of the time. They have a near impossible job sometimes and do the best they can to try to fairly protect the community while also going home safe to their families at night. I'm not here saying cops are bad because they have to make split-second decisions that are wrong sometimes. When faced with armed rioters, armed criminals, gangs, etc., by all means do what you need to to protect yourself and protect the community.

But this instance was horrible and is just one of many where it isn't a split-second life or death decision. This is intentionally killing someone through 9 minutes of intentional force application when they are handcuffed, face down on the ground, and telling you they can't breathe. Bystanders are pleading with the police to get off him. And three other officers just watched it happen. Absolutely horrible. Pushing over the frail 75 year old and basically walking right over him after suffering a head injury was maybe less "flagrant" but horrible as well. A no-knock warrant house raid on the wrong house killing a medical first responder in her bed is horrible. These are just a few examples (of many) of patterns of behavior that really show that changes do need to be implemented. There are "bad cops" and there are also those that just get into the police for the wrong reasons (because they want to have power over others, etc.). There is a mentality or mindset that needs to be revised. Those particular individuals need to be weeded out and removed from their service. They give others a bad name. But that isn't happening (or happening as it should).
I am not going to argue that point. The Louisville cops didn't have their body cameras on. How convenient. And then again when they and National Guard went to break up a gathering, they didn't have cameras going. Cost the top dog his job but with benefits........... A man died in that breakup. Reportedly fired first....... But no cameras. All they had to make their claim was security footage from nearby.

In the Floyd killing, the likely defense of the bystanders if that comes to pass will be infuriating. The police union is already talking about reinstatement....... something about the contract.

Thanks, it’s always helpful to see the other side‘s perspective. In your revised version, can you share what the fire on all the other houses represents specifically?
Well depends on the topic. My assumption is on racism as a whole due to the all lives matter vs blm. I assume each house would concern all races. As you are aware racism isn’t only directed towards one race. I’ve felt it towards myself as an Asian an seen it directed at my friends who are Asian, Hispanic, middle eastern and African American. During and after 9/11, there has been a lot of hate directed at middle eastern people. Racism needs to end and we all can or have endured it. Though racism towards African Americans are well documented in history and the media, people of all color can or have been a victim of it. Hence all houses on fire, and all the fires need to be put out. I mention one house is in worse shape and needs more attention. I believe that is what BLM movement is trying to focus on. There’s been years or hundreds of years of racism towards them and they/we believe it has to end and black lives matter as much as any life.

Status
Not open for further replies.