General Grant Napear termination discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was not a fan of Grant other than his fairly good play by play. He was a jerk on his show and he shilled way too hard for the kings never looking to criticize them.

I don’t support this at all though. I really hate how this country has become either support my position or off to the Gulag for you. This is a dangerous precedent we are setting here. Either subscribe to our group think, or you are out.

Last edited:
I was not a fan of Grant other than his fairly good play by play. He was a jerk on his show and he shirked way too hard for the kings never looking to criticize him.

I don’t support this at all though. I really hate how this country has become either support my position or off to the Gulag for you. This is a dangerous precedent we are setting here. Either subscribe to our group think, or you are out.
With all the paranoia regarding work and the Corona virus (I have to proclaim I am not sick each day before I go to work. Not to mention I may have lost a job because I did not take the virus serious enough) and this type of stuff, it is a dangerous time. You have to watch what you say these days. Until this blows over. Hopefully we get a cure for the virus and the police stop killing people.

Last edited by a moderator:
Third maddest I've been at the Kings next to trading Webber and Cousins.

And I couldn't stand Grant and have wanted him gone for a long time....but not like this.

Scary scary road we are wandering down. Don't agree with a certain audience and they will do what they can to take away your livelihood. All due to saying that you care about all people? Disgusting behavior from society and from the Kings organization. If that's the way Vivek wants to run it then that's fine but he's not getting a dime from me as long as this behavior continues.

With all the paranoia regarding work and the Corona virus (I have to proclaim I am not sick each day before I go to work. Not to mention I may have lost a job because I did not take the virus serious enough) and this type of stuff, it is a dangerous time. You have to watch what you say these days. Until this blows over. Hopefully we get a cure for the virus and the police stop killing people.
There was a meme with a political tone, but to summarize, either we will find out if all the protesters will cause a covid spike or they were all wrong and we shutdown for nothing.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Since I can't spend 24/7 policing it, I'm unilaterally (i.e. without the input of the other mods) declaring this the slightly-more-than-zero-tolerance thread - until such time another mod overrules.

Overt political talk and sniping at other posters will be dealt with, regardless.

The injustice is not that Grant was forced out of his job. The injustice is that influential figures like Grant Napear who have a history of inflammatory speech persist in their jobs for as long as they do without being held to account for their behavior. He's not a pencil pusher. He doesn't toil away in obscurity from a remote cubicle in a non-descript office building. He's a public-facing figure. He worked for an organization that employs a significant number of black individuals, and in a sport that is primarily composed of black athletes.

Yet when confronted by issues of race that demand sensitivity, Grant continually opts not for tact, but for escalation. This isn't the thought police. Grant is welcome to think whatever he wants. He's welcome to express whatever views he wants. The First Amendment guarantees those protections. But it does not guarantee a right to a radio show or a regional telecast. It does not guarantee an audience of thousands. Private entities like KHTK and the Kings are under no obligation to continue the employment of someone whose speech reflects poorly on their respective businesses.

Goodbye, Grant.

I can't believe Grant lasted this long. He's a talented play by play guy, and has a great mind for sports. But in all other aspects, he never matured. The worst things he ever said about Cousins and his rudeness Grant did to hundreds of his radio show listeners. But he didn't care. He got off on shocking people. Made a habit of not listening to them. They were props. But as the Kings play by play man, Grant was all sugar. A company man all the way. The contrast between the two personalities was sickening at times. Almost as sickening as firing someone for making a single, correctable mistake. Or maybe there was more to it? (There usually is.) But that doesn't convince me that he was a victim or an ogre. Closure will be hard to find.

In any case, I had wanted GN gone for years. There has always been suspicious undertones about a lot of his comments/opinions, and his tweet was flat out dumb. You can't look at "all lives matter" in a vacuum and say that it's true, so he shouldn't be punished. It's obvious that it's used as a rebuttal to BLM to downplay it's legitimacy and deflect attention. This isn't rocket science, context is important.

Will I miss his commentary? Sure, I grew up with it and he was impartial for the most part as a PBP guy (except when it came to his personal vendettas against players, which was his main issue throughout the years). In short, the chickens have come home to roost. Grant had this coming with his abrasive tendencies.

Wow, another foolish Twitter suicide. Who's next? Napear was always arrogant know it all whose rudeness never compatible with more laid back Sac audience. It's strange his air of superiority NYC attitude tolerated over three long, mostly tortuous decades as part of Kings franchise history. But did it too himself in the end. Another part of terrible curse now gone so Kings fans can give sigh of relief, feel better times ahead. I shed no tears, good riddance Peaches.

Napear was always arrogant know it all whose rudeness never compatible with more laid back Sac audience. .
I do fully believe his ego got the best of him. Not only that, the relationships that we forge, especially when bad, and the manner in which we treat people can often come back to haunt. In ways we couldn’t have imagined or predicted.

I’m FAR from a perfect or great person. But over my lifetime I have always subscribed to the notion of treating and respecting people how I want to be treated and respected in return. That may not come across at all times in this web forum with mostly invisible folks I’ve never met face to face in my life (I need to get much better about that) but it is certainly how I’ve approached relationships with friends, family, co-workers and acquaintances. Whenever I’ve been in trouble or needed support or needed someone to believe me, it’s typically worked out well for me.

Seeing past relationships/feuds catch up with GN as it did this week, it further reminds and affirms the above. It also reminds that we all need to be especially mindful that the words we choose to use and the manner in which we express our thoughts and opinions can at any time result in consequences we didn’t intend.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
[Modding]

These posts have been split off from the Napear farewell thread, because that's not what we have these farewell threads for. If you want to continue a larger discussion about Napear's termination from KHTK, or his "parting ways" from the Kings, do so here. The farewell thread is reserved for people who want to say positive things about Grant Napear.

And, regardless, the "no politics" rule still applies.

We may have some people around here locally who could do the color commentate, but nobody would be a good play by play person here. Hopefully they hire someone new for the TV broadcasts.

For the radio, just give me someone who authentically discusses the Kings, no smoke blowers.

He should have been let go in 2013 with the whole Maloof debacle when he was defending them up until the final sale slip. While, I don't think this current issue warrant him being let go, it doesn't bother me. Never like the guy much so it will be nice to have some new blood.

Status
Not open for further replies.