Gasol

What would giving away WCS and two 2nds for Gasol do to help our franchise progress?

You can argue that losing WCS is addition by subtraction, but again, Gasol is not the future. He helps us this year, but we're not a legit threat this year. There's no value in a trade like this. It's just flushing picks down the toilet when we're already strapped for picks.

I would like that trade as long as one of the seconds is the one from Milwaukee.
I look at it this way our 11 million cap space is really A good deal for about another 5 days and after that we will need to wait till what like July to use it for what? Most teams will have cap space from expiring contracts by then.

Also by trading WCS now you actually get something for him as he alone would eat up that cap space to resign or loose him any way. I think his exemption is like what under 5 million right now.

Our second round picks well we have 9 of them over the next 3 years and we do not have room for 9 and what are we going to do with 3 by next season. And the Milwaukee pick will be in the 50th or such position.

If we can get Gasol for WCS a couple of seconds and a expiring like Ben I say go for it.

Gasol is a much better fit next to Bagley and even at 33 is a hell of a lot better defender than Willie. As long as we don't take parsons back in the deal I've gotta admit I'd probably do this. Best case scenario is we are able to hold onto Willie and do a sign and trade for who ever gives him a contract but I'm not sold that will come to fruition. Gasol will space the floor, be a great fit with our other high IQ players, and be a fantastic mentor for our young bigs. Pau played at an all star level until he was 35. I expect something similar from Marc.
I watched Gasol yesterday against the Knicks. Granted the competition level was not good but he looked fantastic. He can do many things Willie cannot. He can run the offense from the high post. He can space the floor with 3s or mid range. He can feed the ball into Bagley, he can see over the top and cross court to Buddy, back door pass to Fox. If we had Gasol with Bogs moved into the starting lineup we would be great . The only thing Willie does that Gasol cannot is lob dunk . Bagley inserted as a starter next to Gasol would be the new lob target. With our coach knowing Gasol so well the transition would be seamless. My guess is the trade has not happened yet because the Grizzlies do not have interest in Willie and are probably asking for something unreasonable like Bogs. They may forced to accept less as the deadline approaches with Z-Bo back to the Grizzlies to get his career send off. What we may be able to do is take a 1st round pick from the Rockets for taking Brandon Knight contract, then send that 1st round pick to the Grizzlies (Gasol) or Wizards (Porter) to get a deal done. We need to use our 11M in cap space and I think we need to move Willie. Vlade needs to get this right to legitimize himself. There's a great trade (or two) to be made in the next 72 hours that can get us into playoffs!

NBC Sports California has confirmed through league sources that the Gasol rumors are incorrect when it comes to Sacramento. The Kings do not have interest in the three-time All-Star center at this time.

8 hours ago – via NBC Bay Area

Good now lets get us a SF!
Isn't this source James Ham? This is the same intrepid reporter saying we were considering Porter Jr 24-48 hours before the draft when it was obvious who were taking. He has no special sources and can be easily thrown off the scent. Of course we want Gasol, it is a matter of simple deduction, his game is Vlade-esque and look at our coach, but we are not going to overpay for a 34 year old due 25M next season. I have heard fans say Gasol would hurt our running game. I think he would help it as a more stable interior presence to trigger more fast breaks. Willie usually is not a component of our fast breaks. He can be 1 out of 5 times but usually he is trailing the play. He is predominantly a lob threat who would be replaced by Bagley as the new starter, with Bjelica being moved to reserve role aside Harry Giles.

I hope we get Lin and Gasol by Thursday and send out Goose Egg, Koufos, Willie, Z-Bo, and Ben. I am putting the energy out into the Universe to make it so . :p . I would be happier if we got Otto sending out the same players but I think Lin and Gasol are the more reasonable targets.

Last edited:
Isn't this source James Ham? This is the same intrepid reporter saying we were considering Porter Jr 24-48 hours before the draft when it was obvious who were taking. He has no special sources and can be easily thrown off the scent. Of course we want Gasol, it is a matter of simple deduction, his game is Vlade-esque and look at our coach, but we are not going to overpay for a 34 year old due 25M next season. I have heard fans say Gasol would hurt our running game. I think he would help it as a more stable interior presence to trigger more fast breaks. Willie usually is not a component of our fast breaks. He can be 1 out of 5 times but usually he is trailing the play. He is predominantly a lob threat who would be replaced by Bagley as the new starter, with Bjelica being moved to reserve role aside Harry Giles.

I hope we get Lin and Gasol by Thursday and send out Goose Egg, Koufos, Willie, Z-Bo, and Ben. I am putting the energy out into the Universe to make it so . :p . I would be happier if we got Otto sending out the same players but I think Lin and Gasol are the more reasonable targets.
I want him too, but I think the issue is his salary for next year. It’s been reported we aren’t looking to add salary past this year (to hit FA hard?)

One of the rumors out there has us getting involved as a third team where we give Memphis Z-Bo and in return get MKG.

I was a huge MKG fan in the draft and while he shoots like a man who just grew a set of arms, I think he'd be a good guy to take a flier on for SF/PF depth.
Well whilst we could use the extra spacing, our offense will more or less grow with Fox, Buddy, Giles and Bagley so adding a lock down wing and someone who isnt going to upset our offensive rhythm in favor of additional defense is intriguing.

One of the rumors out there has us getting involved as a third team where we give Memphis Z-Bo and in return get MKG.

I was a huge MKG fan in the draft and while he shoots like a man who just grew a set of arms, I think he'd be a good guy to take a flier on for SF/PF depth.
Not thrilled to be honest. Defense would be a welcome addition but spacing would be atroscious and that is something we need to keep in mind with Fox running the show and having WCS on the court as well. Two non-shooters is not great for Fox.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Not thrilled to be honest. Defense would be a welcome addition but spacing would be atroscious and that is something we need to keep in mind with Fox running the show and having WCS on the court as well. Two non-shooters is not great for Fox.
But how much longer is that going to be an issue?

But how much longer is that going to be an issue?
We don't know. I doubt he gets the money that he was hoping to get so there is a decent chance that we will keep him.

Either way, we should be hoping to replace WCS in the starting line up with a better shooter so you get some sort of shooting from all 5 spots on the floor. Makes Fox that much more effective. We should be looking to make every post a winner so to speak and not settle for a decent upgrade. It just needs to be a very good fit. Not sure MKG is a good fit.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
We don't know. I doubt he gets the money that he was hoping to get so there is a decent chance that we will keep him.

Either way, we should be hoping to replace WCS in the starting line up with a better shooter so you get some sort of shooting from all 5 spots on the floor. Makes Fox that much more effective. We should be looking to make every post a winner so to speak and not settle for a decent upgrade. It just needs to be a very good fit. Not sure MKG is a good fit.
I like MKG as a PJ Tucker-esque guy off the bench. He's still a really really good and versatile defender and knows his own limitations on offense unlike some of the other defense only guys we've had before *coughJamesJohnsoncough*. By no means am I advocating starting him but when our current SF depth chart is Shump and JJ, I think he could give us something going forward.

I like MKG as a PJ Tucker-esque guy off the bench. He's still a really really good and versatile defender and knows his own limitations on offense unlike some of the other defense only guys we've had before *coughJamesJohnsoncough*. By no means am I advocating starting him but when our current SF depth chart is Shump and JJ, I think he could give us something going forward.
I'm a huge MKG fan and think he'd fit right in with our pace and all these athletes. He never lived up to the #2 pick hype, but he's just been a quality player for many years now. Excellent defender and rebounder, while he cant space, he's still really efficient with the shots he does take and he's a 3-4 swing wing that can defend both positions.

Probably wouldnt start him, but he's much better than the 19 MPG he's getting off the Hornets bench and we'd have the ability to be really creative with how we use him, especially if we swung a Porter deal.

If we were a couple years down the road and knew what Giles/Bagley could do as far as perimeter shooting, then I'd be cool with landing MKG.

Right now, I just don't think he could work with this group. Too many guys clogging the paint in WCS, Bagley, Giles and MKG. His defense would be a welcome addition and he knows his limitations on offense but I think just him being on the court would hurt the guys mentioned as well as Fox.