Garrett Temple?

Garrett Temple has a player option to exercise by Friday. Unlike Shumpert and Koufos who opted in early Garrett is waiting. What is your guess as to the reason why? Could his agent be in talks with another team?

My guess is Garrett may go where Lebron goes to play for a championship. Shoots 3’s well and plays defense. Would be a great complementary piece.

Shumpert was a no-brainer to opt in from the players perspective, buys him time to increase his value and he'd get nowhere near that per season on the open market at this juncture.

Koufos a bit more who knows territory. maybe he likes the team / city, idk, seems to me he could've gotten offers on a contender or a longer term contract elsewhere. I genuinely think Koufos is underrated when ppl throw together lists of the C's in the league.

Temple could've been waiting to see who they were gonna draft. Cuz to me as it stands with the way Bogdan and Buddy played and considering their ages and contract situations, they are basically gonna hog all the SG minutes, so it stands to reason Temple is gonna get squeezed.

Its not a big deal to me either way though it could affect their offers on big names this summer. This team needs all the help defensively on the perimeter it can get, so i don't mind having him around.

Shumpert was a no-brainer to opt in from the players perspective, buys him time to increase his value and he'd get nowhere near that per season on the open market at this juncture.

Koufos a bit more who knows territory. maybe he likes the team / city, idk, seems to me he could've gotten offers on a contender or a longer term contract elsewhere. I genuinely think Koufos is underrated when ppl throw together lists of the C's in the league.

Temple could've been waiting to see who they were gonna draft. Cuz to me as it stands with the way Bogdan and Buddy played and considering their ages and contract situations, they are basically gonna hog all the SG minutes, so it stands to reason Temple is gonna get squeezed.

Its not a big deal to me either way though it could affect their offers on big names this summer. This team needs all the help defensively on the perimeter it can get, so i don't mind having him around.
The biggest thing about Garrett is his leadership in the locker room. That would be missed the most. If he does opt out, the Kings need a backup point. Do the go with a vet or take a flyer on Elf Peyton?

Grant keeps saying that he doesn't see Temple opting in but I think he will opt in because he's not going to get 8mil anywhere else and it's not like Temple has made a lot of money in the league compared to a lot of the other guys out there. Minutes will be tight as he and Shump are very similar players but I think financially it makes the most sense for him to stay in Sac. I hope he opts out and winds up teammates with Lebron or somewhere where he can actually contribute to wins but I see him staying.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I think he'll opt in both because of the money AND because of the role he's playing in the community off the court. I'd have no problem seeing him back in a Kings uniform.

I think Temple knows he won't get $8 million for next year in this market.

But, if he opts out, it would be in the hopes of getting a longer 3 or 4 year deal in the $7 mil a year range, which he may get. Therefore more guaranteed money.

I think it is 50/50 if he opts in or out tomorrow.

He won't be able to make as much money and doesn't seem disgruntled at all, so he's going to stay,

Add to this, more teams should have cap space and the cap will increase the season after this, that would be the time to go fishing.

A guy like Temple for sure is in a tough spot. He won't get $8mil from anyone this off-season, but if he's thinking about his long-term plans, it might be better from him to opt out. His skill-set is at a premium right now in the NBA (good defender, can hit the 3, plays multiple positions) and Kings have a ton of wing depth (Bogdan/Buddy/JJ/Shumpert) and most likely sign someone like Hezonja who's going to eat up a ton of the minutes at the 2 and 3. I don't think he'd have any problem latching on to a contender and play a good role for them. Houston comes to mind as a possible Ariza replacement.

Shumpert was obvious as he won't sniff close to $11mil. Koufos was obvious as big men are becoming less and less valuable and wouldn't sniff close to $8mil. I do think Temple could get a tax payer MLE from someone for sure.

I really want him to opt out, and I’m sure he’d prefer to be on a winner at this stage of his career

But, he hasn’t made enough to not have money as a priority and there just isn’t enough on the market to make up close to the difference

Read an article on ESPN today that lot more teams will have cap space next season, as bad contracts from the 2016 spending frenzy come off books, and it will be a much better market for FAs. Given that, it might make sense for Temple to pick his option for next season.

I personally would love for him to opt in. To begin with, I'm really scared that the front office will be tempted to spend the money it gains from the opt out to make some splash, when I want them to evaluate what we have (maybe I'm wrong there, but that's just my opinion). I also think he has value, both on and off the court. Finally, as an expiring vet, who is a solid contributor, and is on a reasonable salary, he will have value at the trade deadline.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I hope Temple sees the grass greener in other pastures. He's in the diminishing returns phase of his Kings' career. No doubt, he's had some positive impact on the youngins. But all good parents need to let their children go grow up at some point. Now is the time for Temple.

I am just concerned about defending the 3 position. At this point Temple is the Kings best wing defender.
Garrett Temple had a quietly bad season on defense. Zach Randolph being the worst post defender in the league stole the spot light. Sampson is actually our best wing defender and I hope we lock him up. We should be looking at bringing in multiple wings to see who works out, Justin Anderson, Jerian Grant, Treveon Graham, etc. One of the genuis ideas Daryl Morey is he churns the bottom of his roster looking for diamonds. We don't do that nearly enough and this is the year of bargains.

Garrett Temple had a quietly bad season on defense. Zach Randolph being the worst post defender in the league stole the spot light. Sampson is actually our best wing defender and I hope we lock him up. We should be looking at bringing in multiple wings to see who works out, Justin Anderson, Jerian Grant, Treveon Graham, etc. One of the genuis ideas Daryl Morey is he churns the bottom of his roster looking for diamonds. We don't do that nearly enough and this is the year of bargains.
excellent post would like it twice if i could :D I do believe that Vlade is attempting to do this. If trading for Caboclo isn't a sign of this, idk what is.

Don't be mad a Temple for doing what's right for himself and his family. If you want to be upset be mad at the people who gave him the contract and the ability to choose his own fate with the player option.

I for one am happy to see Temple back. He is exactly the kind of guy you want with the mix of young talent we have. If you want to get rid of some of the vets, you get rid Randolph, which is of course a position of surplus, or Shumpert because he is just plain awful.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I think it's a better move for us than it is for him. Not too expensive, an ender that we can package at the trade deadline, etc. etc. He's a quality role player, it's just that we have lots of those and need a starter at the 3. And at the end of the season we can package Temple, Shump and Z-bo (plus Skal/WCS if need be) for a player and a pick, or if we're winning and an attractive destination pocket that money for 2019 FA.

Unfortunately for him, I think if we find our starter at SF or if Shump beats him out on the depth chart, then he is not going to get lots of minutes while playing for a contract next year.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
This leaves the Kings with two open roster spots plus the two way contracts

C Cauley-Stein/Giles/Koufos
PF Bagley/Labissiere/Randolph
SF ?????/Jackson/Temple
SG Bogdanovic/Hield/Shumpert
PG Fox/Mason/?????

This leaves the Kings around $17 million for a SF and a 2nd or 3rd string PG.

Hopefully Jakarr Sampson comes back on a two way contract. The other could be Caboclo, Hayes, someone from the SL squad or another player worth taking a flyer on.

It also means the Kings have about $43 million in expiring contracts in WCS, Kosta, Zbo, GT and Shumpert

This leaves the Kings with two open roster spots plus the two way contracts

C Cauley-Stein/Giles/Koufos
PF Bagley/Labissiere/Randolph
SF ?????/Jackson/Temple
SG Bogdanovic/Hield/Shumpert
PG Fox/Mason/?????

This leaves the Kings around $17 million for a SF and a 2nd or 3rd string PG.

Hopefully Jakarr Sampson comes back on a two way contract. The other could be Caboclo, Hayes, someone from the SL squad or another player worth taking a flyer on.

It also means the Kings have about $43 million in expiring contracts in WCS, Kosta, Zbo, GT and Shumpert
I think it's take on a contract/pick situation and maybe a low level signing and punt signing someone until next year. Hopefully the young guys show enough to cause some bigger name FAs to glance our direction.

I think it's take on a contract/pick situation and maybe a low level signing and punt signing someone until next year. Hopefully the young guys show enough to cause some bigger name FAs to glance our direction.
Next year is going to be way more competitive. We may want to buy low on Hezonja and Elf now if we can

Well, I'm good with Temple coming back for one more year. He gives us a stop gap option at SF incase we can't sign Mario or similar to start at SF.

Well, at least this prevents the FO from signing someone like Jabari Parker and his bad knees to a 4 year max contract.