Garrett Temple?

Next year is going to be way more competitive. We may want to buy low on Hezonja and Elf now if we can
That would fit nicely assuming we don't break the bank (I don't think we'd need to for those players). We could still use cap space/expiring contracts at the deadline or next off-season as there are always teams interested. I have a lot of doubts on Hezonja, but if I didn't he probably wouldn't be available. What are Payton's strengths?

The ideal role for Temple next season is player / coach minus the playing part. He became shot happy last year while his defense got worse. He's like Willie. Thirsty scorer without the efficiency. On defense his better days are behind him. The league knows it or else his agent would garnered interest and he would have opted out. There's chance we can throw him into a trade package but don't hold your breath.

I think it's a better move for us than it is for him. Not too expensive, an ender that we can package at the trade deadline, etc. etc. He's a quality role player, it's just that we have lots of those and need a starter at the 3. And at the end of the season we can package Temple, Shump and Z-bo (plus Skal/WCS if need be) for a player and a pick, or if we're winning and an attractive destination pocket that money for 2019 FA.

Unfortunately for him, I think if we find our starter at SF or if Shump beats him out on the depth chart, then he is not going to get lots of minutes while playing for a contract next year.
o_O That is not happening. Have you forgotten just how bad Shump is?

That is until coach Joeger plays ZBo, GT, Shump and KK each 38+ mins per game because he loves his vets! :oops:
I don't really care what he does so long as we start winning games. I don't think that includes big minutes for a few of these guys.

But the one thing I don't get is why so many are down on KK, if he earns his keep this season and the team is successful, I hope we re-sign him at the right price. I expect at least two of the other three to be gone by the trade deadline.

Temple just helped us spend our money this season.

43 mill coming off the books next season is going to be dope.

Free the kids and create some hype then target a top tier young free agent or two

I don't really care what he does so long as we start winning games. I don't think that includes big minutes for a few of these guys.

But the one thing I don't get is why so many are down on KK, if he earns his keep this season and the team is successful, I hope we re-sign him at the right price. I expect at least two of the other three to be gone by the trade deadline.
Here is the thing. The young guys are the future and we need them to develop. If the vets are taking all their minutes, it means one of two things (and both are not good):

1) The young core guys are not good enough to earn minutes over role player vets or
2) Coach Joeger is not willing to let the young guys play through their mistakes at the expense of winning a few more games next year, which will retard the growth of the young players.

It's really a matter of our future. I for one do not want to see the Kings play the vets heavy minutes just because we want to win a few more games, because we don't own our 2019 1st round pick.

We need to develop the young guys as much as possible, let them play through their mistakes, because they will be the future of the Kings.

The ideal role for Temple next season is player / coach minus the playing part. He became shot happy last year while his defense got worse. He's like Willie. Thirsty scorer without the efficiency. On defense his better days are behind him. The league knows it or else his agent would garnered interest and he would have opted out. There's chance we can throw him into a trade package but don't hold your breath.
I was annoyed with Temple's trigger happy ways as anyone, but what I'm more concerned about is the fact that Temple is another one of Dave Joerger's crutches. Not as bad as Zbo, but still pretty bad.

Oh, and there goes another roster spot.

Grant Napear talking about the possibility of trading Temple, Randolph, Kosta, because of log jam.
Please, please, please, please, please.

Of course, Grant Napear said Temple might opt out, so I'm not holding my breath.

Grant Napear talking about the possibility of trading Temple, Randolph, Kosta, because of log jam.
Call in and tell him that's never going to happen. I heard him talking about it on the way home from work and was rolling my eyes. He thinks teams are actually going to trade for them for their skills on the court. KK is the only one that has even an inkling of a shot at getting traded for what he produces on the court. ZBo and Temple have no shot at getting traded.

Here is the thing. The young guys are the future and we need them to develop. If the vets are taking all their minutes, it means one of two things (and both are not good):

1) The young core guys are not good enough to earn minutes over role player vets or
2) Coach Joeger is not willing to let the young guys play through their mistakes at the expense of winning a few more games next year, which will retard the growth of the young players.

It's really a matter of our future. I for one do not want to see the Kings play the vets heavy minutes just because we want to win a few more games, because we don't own our 2019 1st round pick.

We need to develop the young guys as much as possible, let them play through their mistakes, because they will be the future of the Kings.
The young guys are going to get their minutes. It doesn't mean they shouldn't still earn them and if the other guys are helping win games then play them. We have no incentive to tank or take an L in a moral victory. This season is all about seeing what we actually have. That does include the vets that aren't ZBo and could potentially be re-signed.

Call in and tell him that's never going to happen. I heard him talking about it on the way home from work and was rolling my eyes. He thinks teams are actually going to trade for them for their skills on the court. KK is the only one that has even an inkling of a shot at getting traded for what he produces on the court. ZBo and Temple have no shot at getting traded.
Temple is a very good 3 and D guy on a cheap contract. Teams will want him.

This whole ending contract trade scenario probably doesn't happen quickly. Clearing cap space for next summer is based on next summer's FAs.

So Kosta/Temple will be guys that fit holes on teams looking for what they do this year if some trade happens this off-season, which likely becomes a concern once the big names sign in free agency.

The young guys are going to get their minutes. It doesn't mean they shouldn't still earn them and if the other guys are helping win games then play them. We have no incentive to tank or take an L in a moral victory. This season is all about seeing what we actually have. That does include the vets that aren't ZBo and could potentially be re-signed.
I'm fine with KK and GT getting some minutes, I just don't want them and the other vets taking the bulk of the minutes, i.e. 26-30+ minutes a game.

I know that coach Joeger likes to play his vets, but I'm hoping he doesn't give players like ZBo, KK Shump and GT the bulk of the playing time (i.e. 26-30+ min per game) for the sake of winning a few more games. We still need to get the young guys as much PT as possible. We know what KK and GT can do already.

Despite not owning our own 1st round pick next year, we shouldn't sacrifice player development because of it. The Kings will only ascend as high as the young core will take us in the future.

Last edited:
Temple is a very good 3 and D guy on a cheap contract. Teams will want him.

This whole ending contract trade scenario probably doesn't happen quickly. Clearing cap space for next summer is based on next summer's FAs.

So Kosta/Temple will be guys that fit holes on teams looking for what they do this year if some trade happens this off-season, which likely becomes a concern once the big names sign in free agency.
He would have opted out and signed with another team if he was considered a very good 3&D guy on a cheap contract. These are super low value guys that we're talking about. The only reason why we think they're any good is because the rest of the players on the team are so bad right now that it makes them look good by default. Koufos is the only one who holds slightly above average value.

Even if you take their on court play out of it, I think people are going to be in for a rude awakening if they think any of these guys will get traded as expiring contracts as well. A lot of teams are going to have a lot of money coming off the books next year so the market for trading for expirings is going to be weaker than normal and it's already a weak market right now as it stands.

If I had to guess there will either be no trades or it'll be some straight across deal like the Malachi/Caboclo trade where you aren't giving much up but you aren't getting much in return either. We just don't have the assets. WCS is our most valuable tradeable piece that the Kings would maybe be willing to give up and even he's bottom of the barrel as far as tradeable assets go.

ESP47:

You aren't accounting for the lack of cap space and that the teams with cap space are going to use it up on the big names.

Temple's choice isn't a product of the lack of demand for him but a product of the lack of money available for him. Dallas has been trying to unload Wes Matthews. I'd rather have Temple than Wes Matthews right now because Temple is healthier and supplies the same 3&d aspect. Matthews is making 17 million because of the time he became a FA. Temple could demand 10 million in a good market for players. Right now it's not a good market for players.

That's also why the Kings might be aggressive on young FAs since there's less available money for the talent pool to select from.

I'm fine with KK and GT getting some minutes, I just don't want them to be taking the bulk of the minutes, i.e. 26-30+ minutes a game.

I know that coach Joeger likes to play his vets, but I'm hoping he doesn't give players like ZBo, KK Shump and GT the bulk of the playing time (i.e. 26-30+ min per game) for the sake of winning a few more games. We still need to get the young guys as much PT as possible. We know what KK and GT can do already.

Despite not owning our own 1st round pick next year, we shouldn't sacrifice player development because of it. The Kings will only ascend as high as the young core will take us in the future.
Coach outlined his philosophy last year which was getting guys to learn a system and situational play and gradually giving them the keys.

I feel like we'll still be doing some learning next year (which would require him to play the vets) while also trying to win games, or at least put ourselves in the situation to win them. I think making sure we are in every game until the final 2 minutes of the 4th quarter should be a priority, and hopefully the kids get those minutes with a chance to win. But if Fox is there and Bags is not or vice versa, I'm totally ok with putting in whoever has earned it.

I really don't see ZBo eating up Giles and Bags' minutes the way he possibly ate up minutes from WCS and Skal. I think the former are going to help facilitate Fox's growth and vice versa. The latter are fighting for their place in the league.

I really don't see ZBo eating up Giles and Bags' minutes the way he possibly ate up minutes from WCS and Skal. I think the former are going to help facilitate Fox's growth and vice versa. The latter are fighting for their place in the league.
We really don't know how Coach is going to divide up the minutes, but if history is any indication, he will ride his vets, especially early in the season.

It's great to make your young guys earn their minutes, but eventually you have to let them play through their mistakes.

In Philly, they allowed their young guys to play through their mistakes for a couple of years and now they are flourishing.

But, you look at how Skal regressed last year and I'm concerned that coach will put winning in front of player development. ZBo should had been coming off the bench as a bench scorer last year. Last year the assumption was that ZBo would be coming off the bench and that didn't happen.

Players like Skal, Mason, Bagley, and Giles, whether they sink or swim, needs to be given some playing time to improve.

We are not going to make the playoffs riding players like GT, KK, ZBo, and Shump. When we eventually make the playoffs, it will be the young core leading the way. The sooner we can get them up to speed, the better.

Last edited:
We really don't know how Coach is going to divide up the minutes, but if history is any indication, he will ride his vets, especially early in the season.

It's great to make your young guys earn their minutes, but eventually you have to let them play through their mistakes.

In Philly, they allowed their young guys to play through their mistakes for a couple of years and now they are flourishing.

But, you look at how Skal regressed last year and I'm concerned that coach will put winning in front of player development. ZBo should had been coming off the bench as a bench scorer last year.

Players like Skal, Mason, Bagley, and Giles, whether they sink or swim, needs to be given some playing time to improve.

We are not going to make the playoffs riding players like GT, KK, ZBo, and Shump. When we eventually make the playoffs, it will be the young core leading the way. The sooner we can get them up to speed, the better.
Skal just might not be that good.

ZBo was held out of half the games at the end of the season. I get that for some people coach didn't let the kids sink or swim at the level that they'd have liked but I think if we're being realistic he treated everyone fairly. I'm not a fan of letting players develop bad habits or play with the expectation that because they are a high pick they don't have to earn their time. The cream rises.

Yes we have a logjam of bigs and SG
Trading enders this summer would only make sense late in this summer
if you have another unbalanced team with too many PGs or SFs (we need depth at both)
due to the draft or FA and the other team needs a backup Big or SG (GT,Shump,Zbo,KK)

If we get a PG or SF then it can still make sense
so after the FA dust settles , that is what you look for
(So Grant is right? - bite my tongue)

Skal just might not be that good.

ZBo was held out of half the games at the end of the season. I get that for some people coach didn't let the kids sink or swim at the level that they'd have liked but I think if we're being realistic he treated everyone fairly. I'm not a fan of letting players develop bad habits or play with the expectation that because they are a high pick they don't have to earn their time. The cream rises.
I'm not advocating that the young guys be handed minutes, they do need to earn their minutes.

But, if our "young core" (i.e. Fox, Giles, Bagley, Bogdan, Buddy, WCS) are not good enough to beat out a bunch of role player vets like ZBo, KK, GT and Shump for playing time, then we are in a lot of trouble for the future.

I'm not advocating that the young guys be handed minutes, they do need to earn their minutes.

But, if our "young core" (i.e. Fox, Giles, Bagley, Bogdan, Buddy, WCS) are not good enough to beat out a bunch of role player vets like ZBo, KK, GT and Shump for playing time, then we are in a lot of trouble for the future.
I think all those guys will beat out the vets except WCS. I am not sure WCS is part of our future.