Free Agency

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd love to see the Kings trade Gay & Koufos (it'd likely have to be a three team deal) that brings back Eric Bledsoe.

Then there should be enough caproom to sign Lee, Anderson and Hill.

If those three sign for $12, $16 & $8 million or so respectively it would leave $5 million to resign Curry. Then the room exception could be used on Acy if Guidatis doesn't look ready for a roster spot yet.

Cousins/Papagiannis/Labissiere
Cauley-Stein/Anderson/Acy or Guidaitis
Casspi/Hill/Butler
Lee/McLemore/Richardson
Bledsoe/Collison/Curry

Obviously Skal isn't a center but Boogie, Trill & Big Papa should eat up all of those minutes.

I'd love to watch that team. Pretty solid all around with shooters, defenders, bench scoring and a 2nd scorer/wingman in Bledsoe that compliments Cousins better than Gay.

Now what trade realistically sends out Gay & Koufos and returns Bledsoe? Well, I haven't figured that out yet. Details.

OK so I did some cap numbers here in a spread sheet (Captain please correct me where I am wrong, I pulled from a few different sites)

These numbers assume the following

1.) releasing Rondo's cap hold
2.) Matching a 3 year offer on Seth Currry starting at 6.5 in first year. I estimated high because I feel like it's going to be bigger than we previously thought. 7.5% raises and P/O 3rd year
3.) Sign and trade for Courtney Lee with Koufos starting Lee at 13.5 in year 1, 3 year deal with 7.5% raises
4.) Signing Ryan Anderson 3 year guaranteed contract starting at 16 and giving 7.5% raises (possibly could add a team option for year 4 if he is still playing well at that time)
5.) Signing Bogdan Bogdanovich next year at 7.5 3 year deal to be our starting SG, (possibly team option for year 4)

This leaves us about $4MM shy of the cap possibly for a back up PG if Curry and Cousins don't work out. Veteran like Norris Cole or Mario Chalmers.

We still retain Rudy and Ben in this scenario, I have a hard time figuring out good trades for them, because we need better versions of them back in those trades. Unless we could swing them for Rubio, but I cant see Minnesota doing that.

I didn't know Rudy has a player option next summer, that will definetly drive his price down.

As for trades I can see a team like Utah using a guy like Gay- so here is a proposed trade (that most of you will porbably hate :)):

Gay and Ben to Utah
Trey Burke to the 76ers
Alec Burks, Robert Covington, Kendall Marshall and Jeff Whitney to the Kings.

I think it makes sense to all sides (with minor assets like protected 2nd rounders moving around) if we couple that with your Courtney Lee trade and Anderson signing (might be more expansive than you projected but we'll have money since that trade saves us about 3 million and we have cap in your scenario) the roster would look like that:

PG: DC/Marshall/Curry (IC- likely D-League)
SG: Lee/Burks/Richardson (Curry)
SF: Casspi/Covington/Butler
PF: WCS/Anderson/Skal
C: DMC/Whitney/Papa (WCS)

As for trades I can see a team like Utah using a guy like Gay- so here is a proposed trade (that most of you will porbably hate :)):
And that Utah would most definitely hate ;) They seem pretty set on the wings. A glut of guards, yes, but would seem to want to convert quantity to quality there perhaps.

I hope we trade KK, Gay and mclemore. Also, please stay away from resigning rondo.

Trade Gay to Houston for Patrick Beverly and Trevor Ariza
Sign and trade for Allen crabbe or Matthew dellavadova for KK and Mclemore (or sign Courtney Lee - jus like that delly and crabbe are younger)
Sign Ryan Anderson
Sign lance stepenson (we need another player that can create.) - would like to sign Fournier instead but not sure how good he is at creating his own shot.

PG - Beverly/DC/Cousins
SG - Crabbe or Delly/Stephenson/Malachi
SF - Ariza/ Casspi/Butler
PF - Willie/Anderson/Skal
C. - Cousins/PapaG

The 1st unit is obviously built to space the floor for cousins and defend.
The 2nd unit can run pick and pops with lance Stephenson and Ryan Anderson.

Last edited:
And that Utah would most definitely hate ;) They seem pretty set on the wings. A glut of guards, yes, but would seem to want to convert quantity to quality there perhaps.
I see a logic there for Utah, they have many low usage players on the team (pretty much anyone not named Hayward- who isn't a super high usage guy himself) and have a team filled with good roleplayers- Rudy can get them points and I think he can be effective on that team.

He can play some minutes at the PF spot which will help them since Booker is expiring (all they get at backup now is Lyles) and can play alongside Hayward on the wing in big lineups or carry the offense off the bench.
They also get Ben in that trade who help their depth and have a positive trade value with the way the league is lacking in wings.

What they give up is Burke who is burried under Hill and Exum (and Neto), Whitney who's a decent backup on a steal contract but he's expiring and they all ready got Pleiss in place (sorry for that) and will have the money to get another good center in a market flooded with them and Burks who is a very good player on a good contract but he is injury prone and they can do without him with Hood developing so well and Exum who can play SG (especially since they also get Ben).

I think it's a good deal for them (but I'm not sure what they'll think).

Based on what? The most recent case we have is 24 games. Even allowing for some distinction based on differing circumstances (if there are any) that's likely not a 19 game difference.
That seems like a different situation. Artist got 7 games in 2007. Maybe he gets 10 games, I highly doubt it will be 25 games

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Based on what? The most recent case we have is 24 games. Even allowing for some distinction based on differing circumstances (if there are any) that's likely not a 19 game difference.
Well, Jeff Taylor was intoxicated in a hotel and screaming at a woman before shoving her into a hallway wall, assaulting a security officer and damaging a hotel door.

The details of Collison's charges haven't been reported (as far as I know) but I have to imagine that those details will matter in terms of establishing the NBA's punishment.

Silver said at the time that it wasn't a new standard, but would judge each case separately. Taylor shoved the girl to the ground where she hit her head on the door across the hall. He also punched a hole in the wall of the hotel room.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Sigh.

Ok. Maybe. Its likely agent speak, but our SG situation is so dire, who knows. Can try an all 'Cuse SG rotation.

Actually...I can't do that. Waiters sucks. He's just flat out bad. And he's got an ego not realizing he's bad. My call is that this is his agent trying to use crap teams to invent the idea of a market for a guard coming off a season with a 9.4 PER.

If the agent succeeds, Ben should give the guy a call.

Sigh.

Ok. Maybe. Its likely agent speak, but our SG situation is so dire, who knows. Can try an all 'Cuse SG rotation.

Actually...I can't do that. Waiters sucks. He's just flat out bad. And he's got an ego not realizing he's bad. My call is that this is his agent trying to use crap teams to invent the idea of a market for a guard coming off a season with a 9.4 PER.

If the agent succeeds, Ben should give the guy a call.
Agreed. He has no self awareness. Just ego. He played well for OKC at some periods in the playoffs. But even still I was waiting for him to decide he wanted to be the hero. Durant and Westbrook must have threatened his life.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I don't know if I want to believe the Kings being interested in Waiters and that it's just a false rumor...July 1st ought to get interesting