Free Agency Open Thread (NBA and Kings!)

I may have misunderstood you , but if you are stating that "if" we are looking to trade Koufos "then" pursuing Olynyk makes sense, that's where we disagree. I don't think we need to replace Koufos with another center, even if he is a stretch center.

There's no minutes there if we believe in WCS and Papa G and want to see them turn into players. The minutes that don't go to these two guys can go to Z-Bo. Meanwhile the SF is wide open until Malachi or teammate or trade acquisition steps up.
Good point.
Im just trying to make some sense of it (if true why would we be pursuing olynyk)

Boston will need to make a move by tonight, once the moratorium ends, contracts can be signed. They don't want Heyward to have second thoughts.

I would take Jae Crowder for a pick, heck I would probably be okay to take him without anything else coming back.
I think thru media boston wants a pick and a young talent

Moratorium ends tomorrow at midnight (ET)

Boston needs to dump salary ASAP.

I definitely wouldn't give them one of our Kids. I would give them a 2nd round pick. But No Way do I send them Richardson too.
While I understand the sentiment, I don't think they are going to give up anyone of those 3 without getting a young player in return. If not from the Kings, it'll from somewhere else. I'd rather be us.

I believe Bogdanovic did have a cap hold, but I'm not sure exactly the size - I'm pretty sure it was significantly smaller than the contract we offered him. That cap hold can be removed by mutual consent (the player agrees not to come over that year) but clearly that didn't happen in this case.

Still, that cap hold has nothing to do with the question of how we could sign those four players: Bogdanovic, Hill, Randolph (all of whom we have agreements with) and Porter on top of that. Considering that the offer we made to Porter was a max offer, we didn't have the cap space to sign Porter and all the other three to the agreements that were reportedly made. Some people suggested that we could use the MLE to sign Bogdanovic - the problem with this theory is that we do not have an MLE available this year at all. Not now, not later, not before we spend to the cap and not after we spend to the cap (assuming we do). The MLE, by rule, disappears when you go under the cap, which we did.

It doesn't actually matter that he was "our own" free agent. That's what his cap hold is for. Fox, Jackson, and Giles all have cap holds as well, and when we sign them we will sign them using those. Those cap holds, for the scale-contract rookies, also come along with a cap exception, but because Bogdanovic is no longer a scale-contract rookie, we don't get an exception to sign him. He would have to be signed with another, standard exception. For example, the MLE (we don't have one), the Bi-annual (we don't have one, and it's not big enough), the Room exception (we may get one if we spend up to the cap, but it's not big enough), or cap space. Cap space is what we have to use to sign him.
So in other words even though we hold his rights, and there is a smaller cap hold for him compared to the greed contract, we still need to fit him into our cap space and not go over the cap to sign him like we can with out own FAs?

So basically, if we said signed Porter first (and Washington does not match), then we sign Hill and Randolph. In this scenario we could not offer the same contract to Bogdan that we did and would need to fit him in within the existing cap room whatever that number would have been?

While I understand the sentiment, I don't think they are going to give up anyone of those 3 without getting a young player in return. If not from the Kings, it'll from somewhere else. I'd rather be us.
Boston is stuck in a hard place right now. They need to clear salary within the next day or two.

According to reports, they have been trying to move Crowder since the draft, with no takers.

I would not send one of our young players for him. Personally, I would rather roll with Temple, Jackson and Malichi at SF than to give up a pick and one of our players too.

I haven't seen Doncic play myself yet either, but I think there are concerns about his athleticism at the NBA level. I'd be curious to hear if anyone thinks he is better than average when it comes to his athleticism.

EDIT: Just pulled this from NBADraft.net. This obviously doesn't give you the full picture on this guy but it gives you a sense for who he is. To be honest, those numbers and scores don't scream top pick to me.

View attachment 6783
I've watched Doncic a lot, so I could offer insight. I'll start with the good. Everyone raves about him because players who get big minutes for the best team in the ACB are older and in their primes. You don't ever see 16yearolds getting any sort of PT..but Doncic has. Doncic is a big playmaker with extremely high IQ. His vision is unreal and he knows how to make all the right passes. As a scorer, he's a very good 3pt shooter. His driving ability looks average.

Now in terms of everything else? I'd say his athleticism is very solid. He can go up and down the floor, finish above the rim, etc. However, his footspeed looks slow. His lateral quickness and side-to-side movements are a bit behind the rest of his athleticism. His ball handling looks only average right now, so that can affect the way he'll be able to break down NBA defenses. I'd like to see his measurements. Some places have him around 6'7, while others 6'8 with a 220lb frame. He's not quick enough to guard PGs. He might fare ok vs. SGs. If he's 6'8, bulking up and guarding SFs would be most ideal for him.

In the end, I think the closest comp for him is a bigger Lonzo Ball.

Spencer Checketts @1280Spence
about 9 minutes ago
Target for Utah in scenario is Jae Crowder. With everything Hayward and Bartelstein have done, making this happens is the least they can do.

Utah wants crowder
Meh. The least they could do is nothing. They threw a better pitch to a free agent they wanted and got him. They don't owe Utah anything. If another team offers something better to Boston they take it. One team wins the championship. There's no assists granted to teams that help them get there.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
So basically, if we said signed Porter first (and Washington does not match), then we sign Hill and Randolph. In this scenario we could not offer the same contract to Bogdan that we did and would need to fit him in within the existing cap room whatever that number would have been?
Yes. Had we signed Porter, and then signed Hill and Randolph, Bogdanovic would have had to be fit into the remaining cap space or into the "Room Exception". Neither would have been large enough to give Bogdanovic the 3/$27M that was reportedly agreed to (again, given the reported size of the other three contracts as well).

Jazz and boston switch sfs
I can see james johnson reigning with heat and hardway jr. resigning w/atl.
Wiz match porter.
Dirk stays with mavs.

Whos left?
Indiana and kings switch sfs?

Jeff green (yuck)
Sefolosha/T. Allen (more of a 2 guard)
Vince carter?
Shabazz (hell no)
Bojan (100% no)
Mbah a Moute?

I realize some bad blood w/Mbah a Moute but he is a really good defender and solid with the corner 3s now.

Edit
Barry Jackson @flasportsbuzz
Your James Johnson update: Mark Bartelstein spoke to Riley tonight and said they will resume talks in AM. Both sides working toward deal.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Jazz and boston switch sfs
I can see james johnson reigning with heat and hardway jr. resigning w/atl.
Wiz match porter.
Dirk stays with mavs.

Whos left?
Indiana and kings switch sfs?

Jeff green (yuck)
Sefolosha/T. Allen (more of a 2 guard)
Vince carter?
Shabazz (hell no)
Bojan (100% no)
Mbah a Moute?

I realize some bad blood w/Mbah a Moute but he is a really good defender and solid with the corner 3s now.
Mbah a Moute is not going to come back to Sacramento.

Ian Begley @IanBegley
2 minutes ago
Boston reached out to people with NYK about Marcus Smart, per sources. The Knicks' level of interest in Smart at the moment is unclear. twitter.com/ramonashelburn…

To a conference rival??

Whoever takes Smart, it's their funeral. The guy was looking good coming into the NBA but he has not improved on anything since coming. Either he's not motivated, or just plain doesn't care since he got paid?

Chris Haynes‏Verified account@ChrisBHaynes

Free agent center JaVale McGee scheduled to meet with the Sacramento Kings on Thursday, league sources tell ESPN.

uhm wtf? why? why would we add a low IQ player like JaVale McGee to our already deep PF/C positions? I guess Skal would be spending time in the GLeague if this happens.

Skal (with his play in the second half of last year) has earned a roster spot this year. I can't see the Kings sending him to the GLeague. I can see them sending Richardson, Jackson, Giles and Mason to the GLeague though..