Free Agency Open Thread (NBA and Kings!)

Actually chance of swiping Crowder hinge on a trade of sorts anyway. Ainge was not going to just let him walk.
I hope so. After acquiring Hill I think we can actually make a playoff run with a solid starting SF. Vince is a quality presence, but I don't know if he can be asked to be that this year, though maybe he can. There were still some younger SF options out here I thought the team would look at. But Vince has a lot to share in terms of what he's seen in the league

Rudy Gay to Spurs

Manny Vieites @manny_vieites
1 minute ago
Rudy Gay has agreed to a two-year deal with the San Antonio Spurs for over $17M with a player option per source.

Adrian Wojnarowski @wojespn
2 minutes ago
Sources: Rudy Gay's deal with the Spurs: two-years, $17M-plus with a player option.

Paul Garcia @PaulGarciaNBA
1 minute ago
The Spurs will be operating over the cap, looks like Gay is getting the $8.4 MLE.
Wow. In a way I feel sorry for gay. I liked him while he was here and opting out really helped us (even tho it was not his intent) I was hoping he'd get a bit more but he is with a world class organization. Odd how Miami sees waiters, olynyk and possibly James Johnson worth more than Rudy.

can't say I expected Rudy to go to the Spurs. As good as the Spurs are at fitting pieces into their system, I don't think Rudy fits that mold. This is a bandage move by Pop. Rudy, LeMarcus & Leonard isn't going anywhere IMO.

Wow. In a way I feel sorry for gay. I liked him while he was here and opting out really helped us (even tho it was not his intent) I was hoping he'd get a bit more but he is with a world class organization. Odd how Miami sees waiters, olynyk and possibly James Johnson worth more than Rudy.
I like Rudy as well, just not his play style.

He may have had better offers from Miami or whoever, but wanted to play for Pop. Taste the playoffs again, shot at a ring (however remote its better than most).

If I was in the NBA I know I would love to play for Pop.

Edit: forgot to say, happy he signed somewhere

When all is said and done I expect Bogdanovic to have a better NBA career (and longer just based on the 6 year age difference) but Teodosic is just flat out fun to watch. You have to tailor your offense around him to an extent and he won't guard a chair, but he makes exciting plays.
Really excited to see Teodosic's chemistry with Griffin, Jordan, and Gallo. He seriously couldn't have gone to a better roster situation. I imagine Teodosic will be guarding SGs, while Bev guards PGs. Everything is ideal for him..no way he can bust now. If he had join a random club like the Nets, I could see his career path going similar to Prigioni's(backup PG that just washes at the end of his contract).

Gay will be huge in SA small ball of
Mills-Simmons-Kawhi-Gay is very good. Hopefully Pop gives Simmons 28mpg and trades Aldridge sorry ass

Actually SA small ball would be Mills- Green- Simmons- Kawhi-Gay they could switch everything and have elite shooters

Last edited:
When all is said and done I expect Bogdanovic to have a better NBA career (and longer just based on the 6 year age difference) but Teodosic is just flat out fun to watch. You have to tailor your offense around him to an extent and he won't guard a chair, but he makes exciting plays.
Pretty much sums it up perfectly. Being Serbian, I have watched both from very young age. Teodosic is a better player but that might be due to more experience and fun factor. When he is locked in, Teodosic is a hell of a lot of fun to watch. Some of his passes are amazing and when his shot it on, he can be ridiculous.

I really think Clippers have done a really smart thing here. Teodosic is one of the most creative passers I have seen which pretty much means the "lob city" is back but defensively he will have a LOT of trouble in the NBA. So will Bogdan but not as much as Milos.

Love the Vince Carter signing, short contract, good vet presence, won't need 30+ minutes so gets Malachi, Bog and Temple on the floor, and still has game left amazingly.
Won't need? Interesting phrasing.....if they want to extend him the whole season it better be around 18 per game or less. Healing time is a b$tc% when you're 40.

Really excited to see Teodosic's chemistry with Griffin, Jordan, and Gallo. He seriously couldn't have gone to a better roster situation. I imagine Teodosic will be guarding SGs, while Bev guards PGs. Everything is ideal for him..no way he can bust now. If he had join a random club like the Nets, I could see his career path going similar to Prigioni's(backup PG that just washes at the end of his contract).
I'm more interested in seeing Evans play and wondering if the Kings will regret not signing him instead of Mason. It may take some time but....

yikes....that's putrid. Olynyk had one good playoff game against the Wizards and in return the Heat think he can do that on a consistent basis based on the number of years and money.
"Putrid" is a pretty harsh word, but yes, its not good. Olynyk looks pretty oafish out there from what I recall - kinda like a lumberjack or something.

can't say I expected Rudy to go to the Spurs. As good as the Spurs are at fitting pieces into their system, I don't think Rudy fits that mold. This is a bandage move by Pop. Rudy, LeMarcus & Leonard isn't going anywhere IMO.
Leonard is in the discussion for best player in the NBA....but yes other than that the Spurs are getting long in the tooth. Gay coming off a devastating injury is a wild card at best. I honestly am tired of the Spurs, and hope they regress. I'd rather see another team come around into the Playoffs - the Spurs may not fall out of the Playoffs, but I'm guessing a 6/7 seed out in the first round.

Last edited:
Adrian Wojnarowski: Story with @Ianbegley: Restricted free agent Tim Hardaway Jr., has signed a 4-year, $71M offer sheet with New York.
– via Twitter wojespn

Michael Scotto: Sources: Miami Heat and James Johnson have agreed to a 4-year, $60+ million deal.
– via Twitter MikeAScotto

Where's the vomit emoji. These contracts are reaching mozgov level stupidity. Glad vlade didn't blow all our capspace and future like a kid in a candy store. And not good candy, like jelly belly that tastes like garbage, candy corn, and black licorice

Adrian Wojnarowski: Story with @Ianbegley: Restricted free agent Tim Hardaway Jr., has signed a 4-year, $71M offer sheet with New York.
– via Twitter wojespn

Michael Scotto: Sources: Miami Heat and James Johnson have agreed to a 4-year, $60+ million deal.

Where's the vomit emoji. These contracts are reaching mozgov level stupidity. Glad vlade didn't blow all our capspace and future like a kid in a candy store. And not good candy, like jelly belly that tastes like garbage, candy corn, and black licorice
71 million for a chucking SG? my goodness. The Knicks strike once more.

60 million for one decent season out of James Johnson? gee wiz.

Makes me appreciate these short term deals the Kings have been handing out more with each passing day.

– via Twitter wojespn

Absolutely terrible.

Father time may have finally caught up to Pat.
While I agree that it seems like they have overpaid for these three players, there are two things to consider here:

1. The Heat have a history of trying to remain a competitive team rather than one of those that blows it up and tanks. So it should come as no surprise that they have tried to do the same here by adding two players that did well for them last season and taking a gamble that Olynk can continue his development in Miami.

2. The Heat are likely gambling that the second half of their season when they went 30-11 is a truer reflection of their team than the first half of their season when they went 11-30. Remember no team has ever finished .500 after starting going 11-30. So if they can start this coming season and play like they did in the second half, they'll be a play off team and possible top four seed contender, that's the gamble they've taken.

Now I appreciate that in all likelihood they aren't going to get past the Cavs in the east, but they are at least going to try and make the best of things with Dragic and Whiteside as their main players and support them and compete rather than give up.

Not so good, when he would had made $14 mil in one year by opting in to his Kings contract! :eek:

I guess that was the price Rudy was willing to pay to get out of "Basketball hell"! :rolleyes:
If he can play at 90% of his pre-injury level this year, it'll be remarkable, especially at 31. I had a co-worker who played collegiately and for a time recreationally all the time, but chose to hang it up after an achilles rupture in his late 20s. He described his injury as occurring while back-pedaling. Maybe Gay will carry on a bit, but the pathology and long-term outlook of this injury type is ominous. Odds are fair this is his last contract.