Francis to Denver?

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Reports (Vescey/NY Post) that Francis may be going to Denver in exchange for Nene and Watson (with Watson maybe going to a third team). Would obviously close out those avenues for us.

Francis becomes the OG in Denver.

Nene/Howard becomes maybe THE frontcourt of the future in Orlando. :eek:

NY Post - He may not know all the particulars, but Peter Vecsey does know Steve Francis, whose friction of late with coach Brian Hill and consequent two-game suspension is well documented, is on the verge of being sent from Orlando to Denver.

In exchange, the Nuggets would give up Nene and Watson, who would either wind up in New York or Seattle. Obviously, the Knicks would have to surrender one of their youngbloods, preferably a guard, whereas the Sonics are prepared to part with Reggie Evans, Ronald Murray and Vitaly Potapenko. The second wave of talks is linked to Ratliff, Ruben Patterson and Penny Hardaway.

"Everyone is on board with the Francis trade but one team," asserted one of the participants, declining to divulge its identity. "Something's either going to get done or it'll be dead within the next 48 hours."
http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_a...rancis_on_the_verge_of_being_dealt_to_denver/

Francis in Denver would be fun.

If we can't get Nene, there's always the draft if we end up in a highish position.

Bricklayer

Francis is Denver is fun for THEM. ;)

But actually the Nene to Orlando part is what really gets me intrigued. That could one of the great young frontcourt tandems we've seen in quite some time if Nene can come back from the knee. Should be a lot of fun to run into twin young 6'11" towers with our merry band of SFs. :rolleyes:

Indeed, that would be a ridiculous and great pairing, if that's how it goes down

Also who knows who we have at PF for next season (since Nene won't be back till then).

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
If that trade happened, Nene and Howard could well be the next Duncan-Robinson. That would indeed be scary...

The whole idea of Steve Francis playing for George Karl intrigues me, but only because I'd be taking wagers on how long it would take for Karl to park little Stevie's posterior on the bench for some of his antics.

Good trade if it happens. Nuggets already have a solid PG in Andre Miller, and now Francis can play his prefer role in SG.

A

AriesMar27

wow..... nen and howard..... with hedo, nelson and whomever they draft that will be an exciting young team....

Bricklayer said:
Nene/Howard becomes maybe THE frontcourt of the future in Orlando. :eek:
As exciting as that sounds, let me tell you what the buzz would be here in Orlando:

The last time the Magic franchise traded for a player who was in crutches was Grant Hill. Ever since, there has been a deep sense of amnemosity towards Hill due to his constant DNP and injuries. It will be discussed and compared ad nauseum in the papers and sports talk radio if Nene were to come to Orlando.

The problem is that the fans here have no trust in the front office. First you have the Grant Hill saga (Orlando lost Ben Wallace and Chauncey Billups).

Then you have a hockey guy (no basketball experience at all) trade away your franchise player for Houston's troubles and spare parts.

Then, instead of doing their draft day homework, they draft Fran Vazquez while he was still signed to his contract in Spain and on his "word" that he would break that contract and play in the NBA. What did he do instead, decide to extend his contract and say he's not ready for the NBA.

If this trade goes through, they lose Steve Francis and gain a potential recurring injury with Nene. Let's say Nene turns into another Grant Hill, the Magic would have an injury riddled Nene and Kelvin Cato to show for Tracy McGrady.

Of course, this could turn out great and turn into a potential "Robinson/Duncan" type duo. But there is a lot of risk involved and considering Orlando has been burnt in the past, I'm not sure they can afford that risk.

JonBoy418 said:
As exciting as that sounds, let me tell you what the buzz would be here in Orlando:

The last time the Magic franchise traded for a player who was in crutches was Grant Hill. Ever since, there has been a deep sense of amnemosity towards Hill due to his constant DNP and injuries. It will be discussed and compared ad nauseum in the papers and sports talk radio if Nene were to come to Orlando.

The problem is that the fans here have no trust in the front office. First you have the Grant Hill saga (Orlando lost Ben Wallace and Chauncey Billups).

Then you have a hockey guy (no basketball experience at all) trade away your franchise player for Houston's troubles and spare parts.

Then, instead of doing their draft day homework, they draft Fran Vazquez while he was still signed to his contract in Spain and on his "word" that he would break that contract and play in the NBA. What did he do instead, decide to extend his contract and say he's not ready for the NBA.

If this trade goes through, they lose Steve Francis and gain a potential recurring injury with Nene. Let's say Nene turns into another Grant Hill, the Magic would have an injury riddled Nene and Kelvin Cato to show for Tracy McGrady.

Of course, this could turn out great and turn into a potential "Robinson/Duncan" type duo. But there is a lot of risk involved and considering Orlando has been burnt in the past, I'm not sure they can afford that risk.
That's as good a breakdown as you can make of Orlando's stumbling last few years. However, if they trade Francis for Nene/Watson they would literally be getting rid of one huge headache and they would get a good NBA pro in Watson and potential in Nene. Even if Nene does not work out, they are still rid of Francis and can commit to their young core.

That Howard guy is insanly good and can be indanely great.

Bricklayer

JonBoy418 said:
Orlando has nothing. What exactly is there to save? Take the risk. Maybe in a few years flake boy comes over from Europe, there's another high pick coming this year, and all of a sudden there is this pack of young talent surrounding a big time star in Howard.

I can see where you're coming from, JonBoy, especially since I just saw the Grant Hill: BTG on FSN recently.

Ultimately, I would take the risk. Draft a big man in the draft if they have any suspiscions.

A

AriesMar27

i'd do it..... who could we trade for nene? would they take bonzi? i like him but he is hurt and martin is playing well... you know how fans are..... out of sight out of mind....

Bricklayer said:
Orlando has nothing. What exactly is there to save? Take the risk. Maybe in a few years flake boy comes over from Europe, there's another high pick coming this year, and all of a sudden there is this pack of young talent surrounding a big time star in Howard.
It's not a question of what to save, it's what to salvage.

For T-Mac, the Magic got Mobley, Francis and Cato.

Mobley was traded to Sacto for Doug Christie who went on to be injured for the remainder of the year and eventually released.

Cato is always injured and basically a non-factor.

Francis is a headache but he is a proven talent and has value on the trade market.

If you trade a proven talent in Francis for potential and that potential doesn't pan out, then you truely have nothing.

Furthermore, Orlando does have a lot to save. Namely the franchise in Central Florida. Orlando has either the 3rd or 2nd worse attendance in the league. The TD Waterhouse center, like Arco, is completely out of date and there has been much debate over the past 5 years if the Orlando will have a franchise in the near future.

Steve Francis is at least a known name and puts some people in the seats. Nene does not have that same draw. Ask a casual basketball fan who Nene is and they'll shrug their shoulders.

The Magic need to trade Francis for another known all-star so you create excitement within the community. Keep Francis for the time being, let him play to raise his trade value. Then you go out and get another known player (like Pierce).

Bricklayer

People get so scared of getting bad, even for a year or two. And then they turn into the Knicks desperately trying to hold on and hemmoraging fans left and right. NOTHING kills a fanbase quicker than mediocrity without hope. There is NOTHING to save. You are right. Orlando could very well lose its franchise. All they have to do is keep on doing what they are doing rather than taking a chance. Francis is in the way, and everyone in the league wants Nene. The Magic can get him while busting up a terrible team, and trade small for big in the process. That's a risk, but still a just do it scenario. Having a sourpuss like Francis who clearly doesn't want to be there isn't doing anything for the fanbase, and certainly not anything for the future.

Francis may be talented, but I don't see him fitting in with George Karl or the Nuggets, for some reason, although I'm sure he'd love to run with the Nuggets in the high altitude.

And he may prefer to play SG, but in my mind he's not really the type of SG the Nuggets need right now --- they need shooting, not scoring, and Francis is a scorer, not a shooter.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/38987/20060205/francis_on_the_verge_of_being_dealt_to_denver/
NY Post -
He may not know all the particulars, but Peter Vecsey does know Steve Francis, whose friction of late with coach Brian Hill and consequent two-game suspension is well documented, is on the verge of being sent from Orlando to Denver.

In exchange, the Nuggets would give up Nene and Watson, who would either wind up in New York or Seattle. Obviously, the Knicks would have to surrender one of their youngbloods, preferably a guard, whereas the Sonics are prepared to part with Reggie Evans, Ronald Murray and Vitaly Potapenko. The second wave of talks is linked to Ratliff, Ruben Patterson and Penny Hardaway.
"Everyone is on board with the Francis trade but one team," asserted one of the participants, declining to divulge its identity. "Something's either going to get done or it'll be dead within the next 48 hours."

I just did some research and there needs to be another Denver person involved. Watson makes 5 mil and Nene makes 3 mil while Francis makes 13.7 mil. That can't work under the CBA. Maybe if Denver involves Lenard (since he's been rumored) then it could work.

Also, with the above article, it seems that Nene and Watson would go to the third team and not Orlando. That means the Magic would be getting the players from either New York or Seattle.

By looking at salaries, I don't see how the players could come from Seattle, unless Fortson or Lewis were involved (but their names weren't involved in the article). But that's fine since the Magic do not need or want anyone from Seattle.

New York seems a more likely scenario. They have a lot of young talent that could benefit the Magic in the long run. Get a player like Channing Frye and an expiring contract (like Hardaway, irony) and they could make out alright.

But the Nene in Orlando looks like a pipe dream.

That was already posted on the first page

I also thought that about Nene/Watson on the third team, but then I saw the "who" and thought the writer was referring to Watson, so I just thought with either of the three for the two Nuggets.

C

Coach

The praise some people heap on Nene just proves that a player's perceived value is at his absolute highest when he is injured. 11 points, 6 rebounds, no blocks, and a bum knee. I wouldn't touch the guy with a ten foot pole.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Coach said:
The praise some people heap on Nene just proves that a player's perceived value is at his absolute highest when he is injured. 11 points, 6 rebounds, no blocks, and a bum knee. I wouldn't touch the guy with a ten foot pole.
Only if the price is right. He isn't a bum, and isn't a superstud. Somewhere in between. I really liked his effort againt Duncan in the playoffs last year.

Bricklayer

SacTownKid said:
Only if the price is right. He isn't a bum, and isn't a superstud. Somewhere in between. I really liked his effort againt Duncan in the playoffs last year.
Made a believer out of me after I thought he was overrated his first few years. Started rebounding, blocking shots, putting it together.

15, 8 1.5stl 1.5blk as a starter I think. Assuming the knee is fine.

10' poles are rather long and should be reserved for non-6'11" man-children with post games.

New York Times - According to the New York Times, the three way deal involving Orlando, Denver and New York is dead.

The teams discussed sending Orlando's Steve Francis to Denver, with two Nuggets players, point guard Earl Watson and forward Bryon Russell, going to the Knicks.

The Knicks would have sent Trevor Ariza to Denver and would have probably dealt Crawford to Orlando. The Nuggets would have shipped Nenê and Voshon Lenard to the Magic.
http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/38997/20060205/francis_deal_dead/

Well, looks like a young, athletic twin-towers front-line would of indeed been a reality...

Don't know if Denver would of been a good place for Ariza at all with Carmelo there and the already stacked swingman spots, probably would of traded him again anyways.

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Let me see if I have this right -- the Knicks were going to part with both Ariza AND Crawford to get their hands on Earl Watson? Gee, wonder how it could have fallen through?

That kind of stupidity has Larry Brown's fingerprints all over it. :rolleyes:

Crawford's 6'5". Not that undersized. Has proven to be effective as a really good scorer, athleticism, and can play the point.

If you've watched the Knicks much the last 2 seasons, Ariza is a very athletic SF who is a good defender, finish at the hoop very well, and has a decent/solid jumper now. Still developing. He's been in LB's dog-house for some reason since late December/January, thus has barely played since.

Last edited:
Mr. S£im Citrus said:
The Magic should trade Francis to Memphis, just because the irony would be superb.
Could just be that he hated Canada.

Francis would give Denver another great athlete to go with Martin and Anthony, but he'd probably dribble too much for Karl and Anthony's taste.

If Watson goes to the Knicks, I look forward to the Earl Watson-Nate Robinson backcourt.