Francis to Denver?

C

Coach

Actually, as I recall, Francis did not want to go to Vancouver because he did not want to play 2-guard and the Grizzlies already had Bibby at the point.

I heard on the rise guys this morning that the Kings have expressed interest in him. This is one guy I wouldn't want to come to Sac. Would much rather have Bonzi.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Burrito06 said:
I heard on the rise guys this morning that the Kings have expressed interest in him. This is one guy I wouldn't want to come to Sac. Would much rather have Bonzi.
Hmm...have real doubts about our interest.

Here's where I bet that came from. In the Orlando papers this morning after the trade fell through there was apparently a) the standard denial from Orlando that any such trade was ever out there; and b) an ackowledgement by one of their front office people that they were talking to other teams about trades, but NOT about Francis. Three or four teams were mentioned, we were one of them.

Just looking at salaries and whatnot, I would think our targets would most likely be Tony Battie, Kelvin Cato, possibly Hedo, and maybe flakeboy (Fran Vasquez) if we could get his rights for cheap. I can easily see Battie because his contract is about the same size as the Philly three, and its ending. So could very well be us trying to dump some of those deadweight contracts for a tall/long frontcourt reserve with an ending deal. Cato has been injured all year, and that would have to be a salary dump. Hope not. Hedo is very interesting. Would not surprise me if Bonzi is moved, Kevin is promoted, and getting Hedo back would give Rick some tremendous versatility with he and Garcia off the bench (of course also the versatility to kill us with small non-rebounders at PF). And Vasquez...we've had success with international players before. And we've even dealt with players who's lives are run by their girlfriends, so who knows. Remember last year his draft profiles were calling him a poor man's Marcus Camby, and we could really use that.

In any case, that's probably what the radio boobs were seizing on rather than any true Francis talks with us.

I really like Francis, but I don't know about replacing Bibby or Bonzi at all.

As far as getting Battie/Cato/Hedo/rights to Vasquez/maybe even Pat Garrity (proven good shooter), I'd like that. Cato's been injured for a bunch of the season, was just announced yesterday or so he had a cracked bone in his right foot, but if he could ever come back that would be nice.

Last edited:
KevinMartin'sShotDoctor said:
Could just be that he hated Canada.

Francis would give Denver another great athlete to go with Martin and Anthony, but he'd probably dribble too much for Karl and Anthony's taste.

If Watson goes to the Knicks, I look forward to the Earl Watson-Nate Robinson backcourt.
I would of too because of their quickness and athleticism on both ends of the floor.

Obviously would be ridiculous getting posted up and such though. ;)

Last edited:
Florida Today - Orlando assistant general manager Otis Smith denied a published report that the Magic are close to finalizing a multi-team trade that would send guard Steve Francis to the Denver Nuggets .

The New York Post reported Sunday that the potential blockbuster trade could involve Orlando, Denver, Seattle and New York. Francis would head to Denver and Earl Watson and Nene would go to Orlando, Seattle or New York. Seattle is reportedly offering Reggie Evans, Flip Murray and Vitaly Potapenko. New York is peddling former Magic star Penny Hardaway, who has great worth because his $15.75 million contract expires at the end of the season.

Smith admitted that he's talked to several teams about potential trades -- specifically Denver, Sacramento, Indiana and Detroit -- in hopes of shaking up a Magic team that is 19-26 and 10th in the Eastern Conference. But he shot down The Post story, saying that he intends to keep Francis in Orlando unless he's blown away by a particularly appealing deal.

"There's nothing to it," Smith said. "I'm talking to everybody about just about everything. But right now it's just talk.

"Steve is still a part of our future here. But I'm not in a position where I don't listen to what's out there. A lot of people are throwing stuff out there to see what will stick right now, so we're just evaluating things."
http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/39000/20060206/magic_talking_but_not_about_francis/

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
^^Here's the short version:

Peter Vecsey was WRONG again. All is once again right with the world.

;)

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
It also mentioned talks with Indiana, could this have all been pre-Artest talk?

I HATE Stevie Francis. I think Marbury is the only other player I feel so strongly about. But hey, its Vescey, I think I can sleep soundly.